Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stumpus posted:

Kind of confusing though considering they are all region 2. I don't know why they have to make it so vexing.

Region coding is somewhat wacky as far as games go for DLC purposes and while there are patterns there's no hard and fast rule, and even if a game has a "region code" on the packaging it generally means nothing, it's like an ingrained habit from designing Blu-ray packaging or something. I imagine it must be especially confusing in the Middle East since game bans and street dates don't really mean much in the grand scheme of things and the exact region of a game can be somewhat unpredictable as a result.

If your game has Arabic on the packaging that likely means a Middle Eastern version. (get DLC from UAE, or one of the other stores I mentioned if banned in the UAE)
No Arabic but a PEGI rating would suggest a European version (get DLC from France or the U.K.; usually Australia/NZ also work but are way more expensive)
ESRB rating means a North American version (U.S. and Canada)
I imagine you wouldn't see other regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

univbee posted:

OK fair enough. What I was inferring with GTA is that the size of the world and variety of textures is murder on data transfer when you look around, and drive around fast enough.

To be fair, Xenoblade X only needs like 10 GB of install data to run like a drat dream, and still runs at the very least acceptably without it.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Awesome! posted:

yeah i just upgraded from the stock drive to a 2tb and it is great not having to worry about space at all anymore. load times are slightly improved too as an added bonus

Long shot, but does anyone that upgraded to a 2tb also have Alienation and get some really bad slowdown sometimes in big firefights (Here's an example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ivuaNnvv8A) That's the only thing that I can think of causing it. The drive I bought was this one - http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expan...ailpage_o03_s00 (Seagate Expansion 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0)

I tried doing the verify database or whatever and it didn't seem to help.

Unless this has been fixed in a patch, haven't played it in a week or so :|

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
I'm a little annoyed that the PS TV lets you purchase Valkyria Chronicles from its store when I cannot actually use the device to download the game. All the solutions I can find online describe using a PS3 to transfer the files, but I don't own one.

Is there a way for me to get the game on my PS TV if I do not own a PS3?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

saltylopez posted:

I'm a little annoyed that the PS TV lets you purchase Valkyria Chronicles from its store when I cannot actually use the device to download the game. All the solutions I can find online describe using a PS3 to transfer the files, but I don't own one.

That is super-annoying but if it really can't be downloaded from your download list, you pretty much have to have a PS3 to get it the first time. Once it's installed to your PSTV, you can use content manager to back it up to a PC and restore it in future, but I think you do need a PS3 for that first time, unfortunately.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

That said, you can now also enjoy everything the PS3 has to offer!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

saltylopez posted:

Try going to https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/valkyria-chronicles-2/cid=UP0177-ULUS10515_00-VALKYRIA1937PSP1 and click the download link. In my case it offers downloading to my PS Vitas.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Danith posted:

Long shot, but does anyone that upgraded to a 2tb also have Alienation and get some really bad slowdown sometimes in big firefights (Here's an example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ivuaNnvv8A) That's the only thing that I can think of causing it. The drive I bought was this one - http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expan...ailpage_o03_s00 (Seagate Expansion 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0)

I tried doing the verify database or whatever and it didn't seem to help.

Unless this has been fixed in a patch, haven't played it in a week or so :|

I don't have that title, but that looks like a problem with the game, itself. All of the assets in use are almost certainly loaded into active memory at that point, so I really doubt you're seeing slowdown caused by your drive.

I'm also using a Seagate 2TB cannibalized from a USB enclosure, and the only slowdown I can recall ever experiencing was in Broforce—but that's also a known and documented software issue, not a hardware problem.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

MisterAlex posted:

I don't have that title, but that looks like a problem with the game, itself. All of the assets in use are almost certainly loaded into active memory at that point, so I really doubt you're seeing slowdown caused by your drive.

I'm also using a Seagate 2TB cannibalized from a USB enclosure, and the only slowdown I can recall ever experiencing was in Broforce—but that's also a known and documented software issue, not a hardware problem.

I've been looking at a 2TB upgrade, is the one you removed from the enclosure essentially identical in terms of hardware specs to this 9.5mm drive on Amazon Canada?

Found some more reasonable deals on the enclosures and wanted to be sure if getting one of those was the same as buying the naked hard drive, just with a bit of added work on my end when setting everything up. I'm a bit of a computer tech neophyte alas. :eng99:

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

kalensc posted:

I've been looking at a 2TB upgrade, is the one you removed from the enclosure essentially identical in terms of hardware specs to this 9.5mm drive on Amazon Canada?

Found some more reasonable deals on the enclosures and wanted to be sure if getting one of those was the same as buying the naked hard drive, just with a bit of added work on my end when setting everything up. I'm a bit of a computer tech neophyte alas. :eng99:

I don't remember the model of the drive that was inside, but I can pop open my PS4 and take a look later. That one does look like it's probably the same specs, if not the exact same model number.

The other upside of using the drive from a USB HDD is that you can then repurpose the PS4's old drive for use in the enclosure and end up with an upgraded 2TB PS4 and a 500GB USB drive.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

MisterAlex posted:

I don't remember the model of the drive that was inside, but I can pop open my PS4 and take a look later. That one does look like it's probably the same specs, if not the exact same model number.

The other upside of using the drive from a USB HDD is that you can then repurpose the PS4's old drive for use in the enclosure and end up with an upgraded 2TB PS4 and a 500GB USB drive.

Yea, that's a nice benefit I'd thought of, and the enclosure is also $20-30 less expensive than the naked drive. Definitely the route I'd like to go if it's been proven to work for others on here.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Mithaldu posted:

Try going to https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/valkyria-chronicles-2/cid=UP0177-ULUS10515_00-VALKYRIA1937PSP1 and click the download link. In my case it offers downloading to my PS Vitas.

I've done this a few times and it has not downloaded yet (it's been a little over a day). Not saying it won't happen at all but YMMV.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I'm at work right now, but I'll try that "Download to my PSP" thing when I get home too. It just rubs me the wrong way that they let you purchase it but not download it on that platform. I'm otherwise pretty happy with my PS TV.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Ometeotl posted:

To be fair, Xenoblade X only needs like 10 GB of install data to run like a drat dream, and still runs at the very least acceptably without it.

I know this isn't the right thread but what are you on? Xenoblade X makes the Wii U scream death, especially when your in the main city even with the install

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

saltylopez posted:

note that even if you do all those things people advice you to do it still might not work. it didn't for me, assuming you're talking about VC2 here

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

kalensc posted:

There's a pretty great deal on the Microsoft store for the Xbox branded 2tb expansion for CAN$99. Its what i used for my ps4.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/2TB-Xbox-Game-Drive-by-Seagate/productID.326227800

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Stumpus posted:

Maybe someone here knows the answer to this : I want to get the witcher 3 dlc for my region (UAE). The problem is that it is currently banned there.

I can get a download code from a retailer other than psn. But I want to know if I can still redeem the code on psn even though I couldn't buy it there.

Your issue is solved but I was going to suggest waiting for a local physical release of the dlc collection. PSN is absolutely abysmal of letting you know whether a censored game in our region is compatible with the regular PSN stuff. I got the NA version specifically to avoid this bullshit.0

This is especially egregious with PS+ games.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

kalensc posted:

Yea, that's a nice benefit I'd thought of, and the enclosure is also $20-30 less expensive than the naked drive. Definitely the route I'd like to go if it's been proven to work for others on here.
I'm about to go to lunch here in a bit, so I'll swing by my place and check the drive model for you then. For what it's worth, I swapped my drive out over a year ago, and it's given me zero problems in that time. And my PS4 gets used quite regularly.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

kalensc posted:

samsung m9t spinpoint sounds like what i got out of http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Storage-STDR2000100/dp/B00FRHTSK4 when i did this last week but i dont remember exactly. either way whatever drive did come out of there has been working flawlessly and the ps4 drive went back in the enclosure with no issues. only way you would be able to tell is a few pry marks around the edge.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

kalensc posted:

Okay, here's the drive that's running in my PS4:

I googled the product number (HN-M201RAD/AV1), and someone's apparently selling these specifically as PS4 upgrade drives. :v:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Wow thanks for all the info and checking out the #, that's really kind! :)

That Xbox deal looks nifty too, will need to look into that option.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
someone on reddit has a screenshot of a flash sale icon next to the 505 sale that got taken down

lets get that flash sale guap boys

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was literally just about to comment that we were probably gonna get a flash sale this weekend so :woop:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That would make sense, the current sale this week is pretty lovely outside of Witcher 3 being a good price.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I bought both Sonic Rivals and I don't know why

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm looking forward to Last Blade 2 next week.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Baal posted:

I bought both Sonic Rivals and I don't know why
Once you've made the mistake of getting something that could play that game in the first place, you may as well double down

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sonic Rivals isn't the worst Sonic game by a long shot but man it really could have been much better

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't even know what to say about, it's just so obviously lovely and that's all I can really muster up as far as an opinion goes.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

axleblaze posted:

Sonic Rivals isn't the worst Sonic game by a long shot

I can't imagine what it would look like if they'd somehow outdone Sonic 2006.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
what is Sonic Rivals

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

John Romero posted:

what is Sonic Rivals

A 2D sonic game where you race another sonic character

Simple in concept, a loving disaster in practice

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How do you gently caress that up!? Any good YouTube videos or some poo poo? I love watching Sonic's failures. Sonic Boom was deliciously horrible...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The movement is bad, the general progression through a stage is bad due to being literred with poo poo that just loving halts progression or obstacles you need to random qte over, there's dumb power ups which are littered everywhere, and the bosses are even competitions. Unfortunately, I cannot find YouTube vids of this loving game.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Sonic may be the series that has coasted the longest off of how good and forward-thinking the first couple games were. It's been so poo poo for so long and yet it just keeps going.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Baal posted:

The movement is bad, the general progression through a stage is bad due to being literred with poo poo that just loving halts progression or obstacles you need to random qte over, there's dumb power ups which are littered everywhere, and the bosses are even competitions. Unfortunately, I cannot find YouTube vids of this loving game.
Haha, it doesn't matter how bad the poo poo is, someone will put the whole loving series on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL45FXiU5g2Q_iDXgEPFTAZkVRYWhKah_a

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sonic has had good games through the years, it's just more fun to say they haven't been good since the Genesis. The good Sonic games are Sonic 1-3, Knuckles, CD, Advance 1 and 2, Rush, Colors, and Generations. Adventure 1 and 2, Unleashed and Rush Adventure are heavily flawed but have some goodness in them. There has of course been plenty if mediocre to atrocious games but there really is enough good that it's not like the series is a lost cause.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think sonic has ever been good.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

John Romero posted:

someone on reddit has a screenshot of a flash sale icon next to the 505 sale that got taken down

lets get that flash sale guap boys

Is this usually a Friday afternoon thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CrashCat posted:

Haha, it doesn't matter how bad the poo poo is, someone will put the whole loving series on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL45FXiU5g2Q_iDXgEPFTAZkVRYWhKah_a

Yeah I didn't wanna link that

• Locked thread