Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is some grad student's social experiment. It has to be.

Worse. Comedians.

They didn't change their names so if you look them up they all have IMDB pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

JossiRossi posted:

Worse. Comedians.

They didn't change their names so if you look them up they all have IMDB pages.

Yeah that gif about nailing your interview was a dead give away.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I like how it mentions that the card game is on two different crowdfunding platforms rift in the description. So how does he justify that?

Well you see I had HALF my goal in each thing. Since I got my goal on one I still don't have enough to actually make this happen thanks for your donation, no refunds.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Not gonna lie, at 18 I would have wanted those stupid pants.
But on the other hand I would have just bought some cheap pairs at Goodwill and made them myself.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Paladinus posted:

Yeah that gif about nailing your interview was a dead give away.

I had to keep refreshing the page to see it because on Chrome the gif wasn't looping. :saddowns:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Aside from Harvey Dent cosplay, that half pant thing makes no sense. It's like in films from the 80s and 90s, where they had scenes in the future and tried to guess what people would be wearing. Of course, those were tongue in cheek, this is a thing people want real money for. If you only buy one trouser leg, is it half the price of buying two?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Haha, I found out about it from an Achewood FB group, in fact.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trancemetals/trance-sphere-oligodynamic-copper

Half a million goddamned dollars for copper balls.

God drat people.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
1000% markup on the market price of .999 copper. Sign me up.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Someone's trying to get me to watch a YouTube video about why Fig is apparently a scam. I've had enough angry YouTube videos about "this person gamers hate is actually a bad person," can anyone tell me if Fig is or is not legit?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CommunistPancake posted:

Someone's trying to get me to watch a YouTube video about why Fig is apparently a scam. I've had enough angry YouTube videos about "this person gamers hate is actually a bad person," can anyone tell me if Fig is or is not legit?

Fig is as legit as a crowdfunding site can be. Their projects are just usually kinda lame.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

fishmech posted:

Fig is as legit as a crowdfunding site can be. Their projects are just usually kinda lame.

I thought the scam part was in the "investing" bit. IIRC the return is so bad and the conditions so restrictive that you're basically just making a regular crowdfunding donation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I thought the scam part was in the "investing" bit. IIRC the return is so bad and the conditions so restrictive that you're basically just making a regular crowdfunding donation.

That's not a scam, that's literally the standard expected return from small time investing. You generally won't make much of a percentage unless the thing takes off like a rocket.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trancemetals/trance-sphere-oligodynamic-copper

God drat people.

i wish i could come up with one of these but i'd always stop myself thinking nah nobody would be dumb enough to kickstart this but here we are, a thousand of those later

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Since all the terms of the investment are clearly listed on their website and in the preliminary offering circular, including several disclaimers that it's a high risk investment and you should be prepared to lose it all, I don't think that's scammy.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

CommunistPancake posted:

It's a scam in the sense that Video Games are a really loving stupid thing to invest real money in.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CommunistPancake posted:

Since all the terms of the investment are clearly listed on their website and in the preliminary offering circular, including several disclaimers that it's a high risk investment and you should be prepared to lose it all, I don't think that's scammy.

Yeah it would be a scam if they said "oh yeah you'll totally get a huge return" and it would be straight up illegal without the restrictions.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I can't stop laughing at this loving image:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I saw people unironically posting on Facebook about how much they want this. Cat owners just keep getting weirder.

unless you're wandering through a desert how is this in any way preferable to carrying around water purification tablets or a charcoal filter or whatever. and on a bicycle couldn't you do the traditional thing and just carry the amount of water you might need for your trip?

Can I buy a bottle of iodine tablets, which fits in your pocket and can purify hundreds of gallons of (non-horrific) water, at vastly inflated prices via kickstarter and possibly not receive it? Or get it, use it, and suffer debilitating dehydration if I relied solely on that gimmick bottle? No? Well then good day sir! :colbert:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I want to combine the magic water generating bottle with the magic water breathing gills thing, and breath magically generated oxygen and look like Bane.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

CommunistPancake posted:

yeah I'm sure it's all above board but it's really just a hook to get people to give a game company money. You're never going to get a return that compensates you for the risk of backing a video game, which is pretty huge.

Mainly i just remember watching a twenty minute youtube of some guy in a fedora getting real worked up about it so on the balance maybe it's good ? :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KiddieGrinder posted:

I want to combine the magic water generating bottle with the magic water breathing gills thing, and breath magically generated oxygen and look like Bane.

If you include some 99%+ copper balls to kill off all the germs in the water/oxygen I think we'll have a Kickstarter triple word score

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Ahh, here's this week's 'device that can't possibly deliver on it's claims but is already almost 1000% funded because credulous idiot tech reporters'

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/knocki/knocki-make-any-surface-smart

A wifi disc that can somehow detect 10 different gestures through any object you put it on (apparently regardless of material) via vibration.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

God drat people.

No brass balls option 0/10

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wrong thread. I'm a tribes-like game lover so I gave these guys :10bux:

It got funded yesterday with a couple of days to spare.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wamdoodle posted:

Stretch goal

I doubt that anyone involved is in serious danger of stretching a codpiece.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Serak posted:

Ahh, here's this week's 'device that can't possibly deliver on it's claims but is already almost 1000% funded because credulous idiot tech reporters'

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/knocki/knocki-make-any-surface-smart

A wifi disc that can somehow detect 10 different gestures through any object you put it on (apparently regardless of material) via vibration.

Pretty much seems like it'd work, in a very controlled manner. Probably uses a piezo sensor to detect taps and a Pi reads the taps and sends out appropriate signals for the app to decide what to do with.

The only scummy thing I can see is they claim it'll work with a load of things, but unless those things can already take advantage of being controlled via smartphone (coffee maker, lights, TV, etc.) then this stupid gadget will do gently caress all with them.

It also seems aimed at hipster douchebags, but they love their apps and their smartphones, and this is sort of taking the place of the phone? Which seems like it wouldn't be very desirable, but here we are at $300k so who knows. :shrug:

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
Yeah, it reeks of internet of things automaton guff, which, if you're into that, whatevs, but a miracle it's not.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
The only way I can imagine it working is on a dense medium like glass or maybe hardwood unless it's sitting an inch away from where you 'gesture'. Also, the gestures will have to literally be morse code because no way can it detect anything other than a sharp tap

I can also imagine it easily being set off by a sound system with a subwoofer/ placing something on a table etc.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah I can see it working but not being overly convenient like having a poo poo range, being too sensitive or not enough and constantly being set off by things like trucks driving by. Even if it works right I can't see it being much of an improvement over the poo poo you already have installed like light switches.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

After The War posted:

:350:: Hey, did you ever wonder why they're called "pants"? What if you only had, like... one pant?
:cocaine: We'll make millions!
:drugnerd: We'll call it... the Pant-Alone!
Aren't these zippicamiknicks from Brave New World? Also, I don't care if two out of the five people in it are black:

This is still whitepeople.gif

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Morglon posted:

Yeah I can see it working but not being overly convenient like having a poo poo range, being too sensitive or not enough and constantly being set off by things like trucks driving by. Even if it works right I can't see it being much of an improvement over the poo poo you already have installed like light switches.

Make it react to voice commands, but only super loud ones. LIGHTS ON for lights, COFFEE ON for coffee, I'M TOO HOT/COLD for temperature...

This exists right? Somebody must have invented a way I can turn all my poo poo on and off just by screaming at it... I have a raspberry pi and a microphone somewhere...

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

wit posted:

Aren't these zippicamiknicks from Brave New World? Also, I don't care if two out of the five people in it are black:

This is still whitepeople.gif

I like how people are continuing to respond to this kickstarter like its a real thing.

It's literally run by comedians.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

I like how people are continuing to respond to this kickstarter like its a real thing.

Did not know or notice, you got me. I don't pick apart many of the things in this thread because its exhausting to watch every video. Jokes on us we mocked when we should have frowned because comedians made something exactly on par with the hundreds of kickstarters we wade through? I'll never understand landover baptist style humour except as a way to go "psyche! I was method acting a retard and you laughed at me instead of with me this time!"

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, I watched the video and had that inkling. Of course, the problem with satirising kickstarters is the line between the two is drawn in water with a blunt pencil.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

fishmech posted:

Yeah it would be a scam if they said "oh yeah you'll totally get a huge return" and it would be straight up illegal without the restrictions.

The part where it's arguably a scam is where they do use a lot of highly questionable numbers to imply you'll get a much larger return than you will. If you're not looking it as an investment, it's fine, but how they advertised it as an investment has some real problems.

Zaphod42 posted:

"Takes on its own unique hue over time and can be “reset” to brilliancy with baking soda and water (or salt and vinegar)."

Did... did somebody just... market tarnishing as a feature?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The part where it's arguably a scam is where they do use a lot of highly questionable numbers to imply you'll get a much larger return than you will. If you're not looking it as an investment, it's fine, but how they advertised it as an investment has some real problems.

"Takes on its own unique hue over time and can be “reset” to brilliancy with baking soda and water (or salt and vinegar)."

People actually do like patinas.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I dunno, I kinda like it. A nice perfectly spherical copper ball would be quite a tactile thing to have around on your desk floor to mess with.

Why aren't they selling stands for them.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Nettle Soup posted:

I dunno, I kinda like it. A nice perfectly spherical copper ball would be quite a tactile thing to have around on your desk floor to mess with.

The thing is:

You can buy these already (with stands, yes) and folks generally won't charge you $80 for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish i could come up with one of these but i'd always stop myself thinking nah nobody would be dumb enough to kickstart this but here we are, a thousand of those later

Same, but I'd feel guilty about promising a bunch of snake-oil health benefits to what I know is pretty much bunk. I guess you either have to be a true believer yourself or have low morals in order to be a Captain of Industry. :v:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Hahaha yes. Its like those new-age magnet bracelets all over again. Except the manufacturing takes even less work.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The thing is:

You can buy these already (with stands, yes) and folks generally won't charge you $80 for them.

Yeah that's what some goon posted right off, its like a 1000% markup on what is a pretty easy product to get a hold of / manufacture.