Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

Back on the manga topic, a comment I read somewhere pointed out something that's potentially bad news for All Might: All For One has Ragdoll's quirk now. It lets the user know people's locations... And their weaknesses. And All Might just so happens to have a horrible chest wound debilitating him (that we know hurts him, given his reaction to being gripped there by the Noumu at USJ). That seems like it might be relevant soon.

Also Jeanist's death (if he is dead; seems like he should be after that) might actually impact Bakugou, since he trained under the guy. Didn't like him at the time, but even if All Might himself isn't offed here this moment could and should affect Bakugou a lot.

Good money says that it was All for One who gave him that wound so he has to know about said injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Hunt11 posted:

Good money says that it was All for One who gave him that wound so he has to know about said injury.

I think it's been explicitly stated so

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He knows that All Might is weakened, but that is entirely different from knowing that he is powerless most of the time. In theory he could save his active period for personal defense, but that just isn't who he is. All Might is gonna use his time to go out and be a hero whenever possible.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hunt11 posted:

Yeah, he gave him the injury, but the details of how that happened we don't know yet. We just know that, one way or another, he injured All Might; AFO could be unaware of just how debilitating the injury actually was and that it in particular is what's causing All Might to become weaker, or that it's still a problem for him.

Besides, from a meta standpoint, a not-insignificant amount of time was spent on the fact that AFO stole a quirk that senses locations and weaknesses. That is almost definitely going to come into play at some point.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

He still doesn't know that Izuku has inherited All Might's powers right? I wonder how All for One will react to that news.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rhonne posted:

He still doesn't know that Izuku has inherited All Might's powers right? I wonder how All for One will react to that news.

As far as we know, he doesn't even know that One for All exists, All Might is just some real powerful dude who had a grude.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

J. Michael Tatum is Iida and Sonny Strait is Present Mic.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

As far as we know, he doesn't even know that One for All exists, All Might is just some real powerful dude who had a grudge.

He definitely had a reaction when Shigaraki brought up Deku being similar to All Might. So he knows something is up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

LostRook posted:

He definitely had a reaction when Shigaraki brought up Deku being similar to All Might. So he knows something is up.

Well, even if no one ever told him about 14a he has obviously noticed the series of increasingly powerful muscle men who opposed him. There are a lot of specific points that he may or may not know.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So spoilers are out already and it looks like the previous OFA user was Shigaraki's mother, not father. I hope we get a flashback chapter with her at some point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

J. Michael Tatum is Iida and Sonny Strait is Present Mic.

Tatum was my pick for Iida since before the anime was announced so I'm actually p cool with that. Strait as Present Mic is p whatever tho.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

So spoilers are out already and it looks like the previous OFA user was Shigaraki's mother, not father. I hope we get a flashback chapter with her at some point.

Well All Might is hosed. That's him running out of time on the last page.

Also huh, now I'm wondering how things went down there; presumably both of Shigaraki's parents are dead, since he's calling the hand on his face "father" and all, but did that happen together or separately? AFO killed the previous OFA holder, and he was there when Shigaraki was... Well it looks like the immediate aftermath of a parent's death but honestly given the lines of conversation we saw there we can't really say how long the poor kid was left alone before AFO showed up. Though the flashback panel here shows him with a fresh wound where that lip scar is, so I guess that's where that came from.

Anyway, Magne's power was kind of neat, and AFO using it to have Toga drag all the others through the portal was clever. I wonder what's happening next; this chapter felt more like a standard shonen one in that despite a lot of action not much time passed, compared to the usual pace of the story. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it leaves me wanting more already.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Regarding Kirishima/Bakugou: Kirishima is a natural pick to be someone Baron of Explodo-Kills can have a healthy relationship with. His power is 'passive' enough that he doesn't threaten to outshine Bakugou, but also makes him tough enough that Bakugou can't casually bully or intimidate him. He can take Bakugou in stride without threatening his ego.

Bakugou can actually manage a healthy relationship if you manage to neutralise his ego problems.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Peel posted:

Regarding Kirishima/Bakugou: Kirishima is a natural pick to be someone Baron of Explodo-Kills can have a healthy relationship with. His power is 'passive' enough that he doesn't threaten to outshine Bakugou, but also makes him tough enough that Bakugou can't casually bully or intimidate him. He can take Bakugou in stride without threatening his ego.

Bakugou can actually manage a healthy relationship if you manage to neutralise his ego problems.

Kirishima's not bothered by Bakugou's personality. He's too thick-skinned.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Here's the link to the Korean scans.

fixed
https://manaa.space/post/uploader/32987

Oxxidation posted:

Kirishima's not bothered by Bakugou's personality. He's too thick-skinned.

boooooo

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 19, 2016

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Mt Lady is a big deal!

The first One For All may actually have been a woman? Also, All For One is Shigaraki's great-great-whatever-grandfather.

Mistranslated.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 19, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seriously, All For One is doing the grand heroic sacrifice thing here, down to forcing his student to leave and telling him it'll be alright as Shigaraki yells out to him, making a grand last stand against his enemies. Why is the worst villain in history so cool? He should not be this cool.

Vengarr posted:

Mt Lady is a big deal!

Yeah, Mt. Lady's interference was pretty great. Poor Mt. Lady.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Roland Jones posted:

Why is the worst villain in history so cool? He should not be this cool.

He used All for One to steal that cool from previous heroes.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The previous One For All, All Might's teacher and predecessor, was actually a woman.

Now I'm really excited for the All Might spinoff.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I guess he does actually know about One for All

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Another cool thing that's been noted about this chapter:

The 7th One for All was Shimura Nana-- nana = 7. All Might's last name has the character for 8 in it, and the second character in Izuku can be read as Kyuu, which means 9.

Korean-English speedscan is out btw:

http://mangafast.online/manga/boku-no-hero-academia/91/1

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 19, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So is All for One saying he wants to be some kind of benevolent dictator for the good of humanity and All Might and his predecessors are the real bad guys for standing in the way of that?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Radish posted:

So is All for One saying he wants to be some kind of benevolent dictator for the good of humanity and All Might and his predecessors are the real bad guys for standing in the way of that?

I think it's more that All Might built his reputation on crushing people who were his friends and comrades. He may or may not be making a higher-minded point about it, but he's basically saying "you hurt people I like and got famous for it, so gently caress you", if you want to boil it down.

Anyway, this isn't looking good for All Might. Besides being at his limit, there's a lot of people up and about thanks to the commotion and the buildings being crushed. If he doesn't just get killed here, he could be seen like this, the way he almost was at USJ. And this time, Cementoss isn't here to make a convenient barrier for him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

I would bet money I don't have that he will die heroically in twerp form (possibly right after his muscleform fails for the last time) to show that being a true hero isn't about being the strongest.

Calling this again (spoiling since it was speculation but hints at stuff that happened this issue)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
MangaStream translation is up already.

Edit: Also, something interesting: "Nana" is also "seven" in Japanese, and she was the seventh holder of OFA. All Might's real name, meanwhile, is "Yagi Toshinori" according to the data book, and "Yagi" has the character for "eight" in it apparently. Then we have Midoriya Izuku, the last character of "Izuku" being the same as that for "nine".

...And we just so happen to have a "Shimura Tenko" as well. (Probably meaningless but someone pointed it out elsewhere and I felt like posting it here.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 19, 2016

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I have a feeling that this is going to be the fight where All Might runs out of time in the middle of the battle.

I wish I wasn't right. :ohdear:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Aurora posted:

I guess he does actually know about One for All

I like when I wonder about something and my pondering is immediately answered! A good manga.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I have the feeling that he can't kill the current holder of OfA or take the quirk from them, while it's being transferred. The same would go for whoever the quirk is being transferred to.

It would probably gently caress up the process somehow and simply destroy the quirk outright.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is made out of ghosts. I don't think he can steal ghosts.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have to admit I really like All for One and the fact he seems to care for the people who worked for him.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MonsterEnvy posted:

I have to admit I really like All for One and the fact he seems to care for the people who worked for him.

Chapter 19: All Might

Chapter 91: Symbol of Peace

Chapter 19 is the one where All Might saved his students from All For One. Chapter 91 is the one where All For One saves his students from All Might.

:dogbutton:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This series puts the villains in a bit of an underdog position. Which is pretty rare.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Vengarr posted:

Chapter 19: All Might

Chapter 91: Symbol of Peace

Chapter 19 is the one where All Might saved his students from All For One. Chapter 91 is the one where All For One saves his students from All Might.

:dogbutton:

Horikoshi taking lessons from Oda I see.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

This series puts the villains in a bit of an underdog position. Which is pretty rare.

They are only in an underdog position for as long as All Might lasts.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Serious Frolicking posted:

They are only in an underdog position for as long as All Might lasts.
The mood will probably be sadder/darker for a period of time but what with this being a shounen and given Horikoshi's writing style I doubt it'll really get that grim for the kids.

I think I'm pretty much 100% sure now the whole class will survive to the end.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

The mood will probably be sadder/darker for a period of time but what with this being a shounen and given Horikoshi's writing style I doubt it'll really get that grim for the kids.

I think I'm pretty much 100% sure now the whole class will survive to the end.

Until Jeanist's possible death, I think the only death thus far was the winged Noumu (that may or may not have been Bakugou's childhood friend) getting part of its brain carved out by Stain. All Might probably isn't making it too the end, though, and All For One might bite it too actually, so the death counter might start counting up a lot faster soon. Gran Torino isn't in the best spot either just by virtue of being so old in a shonen series, really.

As for the students, apparently Jirou and Hagakure are still hospitalized due to gas exposure, though I don't think they'll actually die from that. I wouldn't be surprised if none of the students died by the end, though at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if some did too. It could go either way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
What I'm surprised about is how none of the hero course students at ua have been pulled from the school by their parents. It is now public knowledge that ruthless killers are targeting them specifically.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The awkward situation with the nature of Midoriya's powers is that he pretty much requires mastery (or close to it) of OfA in order to combat the Big Bad (since the Big Bad, whether it's AfO or Shigaraki, needs to be a threat to hero society as a whole), but mastery of OfA also renders pretty much every non-AfO villain trivial (and that's given a weakened All Might!).

It'll be quite a while until that ever becomes an issue, though. And there are definitely conceivable powers that could prove dangerous to All Might, even though we haven't been shown any other than AfO (or stuff made by AfO).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

What I'm surprised about is how none of the hero course students at ua have been pulled from the school by their parents. It is now public knowledge that ruthless killers are targeting them specifically.

It hasn't been that long since the raid on the training camp. We haven't seen the full repercussions yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i dont think that the AfO/OfA conflict can sustain a 400+ chapter mainstay Jump behemoth. and shueisha is pinning its future on MHA. they want another big drat series. you can always introduce a stronger villain, and its gonna happen eventually imo