Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Who is this addressing 'cuz this could mean practically anyone here

lol

TFRazorsaw posted:

His pain and frustration is sold with all the sincerity of someone wondering who farted. But that's more on Cavill I guess.

Looks more worried, maybe crestfallen, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Fair enough.

But I absolutely don't agree with your argument that "Having values isn't fundamentally good or evil, or heroic or villainous". It absolutely does, otherwise why would people look up to superheroes if they weren't any better values or morals than their villains. It's a fundamental aspect of hero to have a set of morals and boundaries. Spider-Man would've killed Uncle Ben's killer if he hadn't chosen to be the bigger person and set an example.

Well again not to sound smug, but there can be good values and bad values. The whole question of boundaries is really a moot one.

MacheteZombie posted:

"Superman isn't empathetic at all. He doesn't care for others!"

"Heh, Superman looks like he smelled a fart."

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 19, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TFRazorsaw posted:

His pain and frustration is sold with all the sincerity of someone wondering who farted. But that's more on Cavill I guess.

No he's made other movies, he has the full range of human emotion available to him. That's just how he's being directed.

e:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well again not to sound smug

And as a side note if anyone in this thread has felt smug about a single thing they posted in it, you really shouldn't have.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 19, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so can people stop acting like they're not responding to the negative reception now or are people gonna keep clinging to that?

MacheteZombie posted:

I get that he's SUPPOSED to be somber but it's just not conveyed very well. And like, I'm autistic. I'm not gonna say all people visibly emote the same way. But I've also seen Cavill's other work and I don't think that's the case here. I know I said "I guess that's on Cavill" but after thinking about it, I'm gonna chalk this one up to poor direction.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think he's fine.

He's also good in The Man from U.N.C.L.E, if you care to see him in something else.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Superman isn't empathetic at all. He doesn't care for others!"

"Heh, Superman looks like he smelled a fart."

I get what Snyder is trying to go for, as I've said. But a film is ultimately the sum of its parts, and whatever led to Cavill's dull performance (not even dour, just DULL) undermines the sense that Superman is "broken" by these experiences.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

All is forgiven. I never liked Wally that much anyway.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Going back to Civil War, I have to say one thing to appreciate about the comic vs the movie is that it sticks with its central conflict (State vs Individuals) all the way through. The movie on the other hand obfuscates that with "personal" conflicts and then changes the conflict for the ending! The political conflict becomes almost incomprehensible.

But there's still no reason to just read I Don't Need Your Civil War instead.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 19, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Ah, so the Justice League movie will have murderous Blue Lanterns.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TFRazorsaw posted:

No reason to research further? He's the director and creative head of a huge film. Research is literally one of the things he SHOULD be doing. The book is several decades old by now. It's been analyzed to hell and back by more than just nerds with blogs. This is by no means OBSCURE.

What, EXACTLY, are you asking him to do for research? He's making a movie based(sorta) on a comic book that he likes, why in the hell would he expect to need to read anything outside of the comic book he likes?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Going back to Civil War, I have to say one thing to appreciate about the comic vs the movie is that it sticks with its central conflict (State vs Individuals) all the way throug. The movie on the other hand obfuscates that with "personal" conflicts and then changes the conflict for the ending! The political conflict becomes almost incomprehensible.

But there's still no reason to just read I Don't Need Your Civil War instead.

It definitely shifts, which is why I'm 100% Team Iron Man at the start (because COME ON, why are they not supervised by somebody) and Team Cap through most of the rest of the movie - there's two separate issues.

I don't think it's incomprehensible, though. The politics don't really change at any point, they just become secondary to the plot.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

I think he's fine.

He's also good in The Man from U.N.C.L.E, if you care to see him in something else.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was a really fun movie and I'm sad that it almost certainly won't get a sequel, since stylized cold-war spy thriller/action/comedies are apparently extremely my poo poo. Cavill was a major reason I enjoyed it as much as I did, so I too am willing to attribute any perceived deficiencies in his Superman to outside circumstances rather than any limitations on his part.

And actually now that I think about it I realize I'd be more hyped for the purely theoretical sequel to that movie than any of DC's currently announced future lineup, which makes me feel weird.

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 19, 2016

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

No, I watched Man From UNCLE the other day and Cavill was wonderful in it. This is on Snyder. Also, stop arguing with lamps, we don't need our own knockoff any gimmick.

Edit:. Oh, hi next page and half a dozen UNCLE posts.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 19, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Soonmot posted:

No, I watched Man From UNCLE the other day and Cavill was wonderful in it. This is on Snyder. Also, stop arguing with lamps, we don't need our own knockoff any gimmick.

Edit:. Oh, hi next page and half a dozen UNCLE posts.

Yeah, I later said it's probably more due to crummy direction.

theflyingorc posted:

What, EXACTLY, are you asking him to do for research? He's making a movie based(sorta) on a comic book that he likes, why in the hell would he expect to need to read anything outside of the comic book he likes?

What people have said about it over the years? A bloody synopsis? I dunno, maybe it'd be at lest worthwhile to check if a fact is true before using it as ammunition to defend a creative choice he made.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
People stopped caring about BvS long ago. Nobody liked this version of the characters, and it suffered for it. Why on earth would you make a superman movie that kids couldnt enjoy?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fsmhunk posted:

People stopped caring about BvS long ago. Nobody liked this version of the characters, and it suffered for it. Why on earth would you make a superman movie that kids couldnt enjoy?

The Batman in BvS was largely really well received and people are happy wtih Ben Affleck as the character. There's a fair bit of "I'll be glad to see him in a film not directed by Zach Snyder" stuff out there.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fsmhunk posted:

I liked this version, had have heard that kids really liked BvS.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

theflyingorc posted:

I sincerely doubt that Zack Snyder has ever read TDKR, considering literally everything outside of "Batman and Superman fight at the end" is different.

And that, in and of itself, is fine. Snyder shouldn't be obligated to have to read the comics, or specific ones (Although I would say it's at the very least a good idea to familiarize yourself with the characters before making a movie starring those characters). It's quite another thing, though, to make a lovely movie and then to, instead of defending the (bad) artistic choices he made, to insist it's source-faithful when anyone with eyes can see that it's absolutely, positively, in no way source-faithful.

This is the problem. It's not that Snyder didn't read TDKR, it's that he insists that his movie is validated due to TDKR, a book he clearly did not read.

Snyder made a bad movie based off an original story, and he should just loving own that over going on and on that it's validated within the canon, especially when he points to a thirty-year-old story with a completely different plot, characters, themes, and resolution than his own. It's absurd, and makes him look actively ignorant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

I sincerely doubt that Zack Snyder has ever read TDKR, considering literally everything outside of "Batman and Superman fight at the end" is different.

He makes direct visual references to TDKR and the film itself intentionally inverts the roles of Superman and Batman in a way that only makes sense if you're really familiar with the source material. It is akin to the Shining where is both demonstrates familiarity with the source material and yet doesn't intend to match the exact themes and plots.

You're free to think he shouldn't be justifying his decisions with a What-If Elseworld (and I agree) but it's pretty unlikely he didn't read the book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I kind of wish the entire movie of X-Men Apocalypse was just this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kniQrk9jw0

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I feel like the strongest elements of the new movies are when they lean into it being a period piece. It's a shame to hear that's not a big factor in XMA.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like the Boyaga being in Black Panther rumor was false, according to the dread Faraci: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/19/john-boyega-is-not-circling-black-panther

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
There is a shift in Civil War, but I thought it was pretty easy to follow. It was even kinda how it was in the comics. They were fighting about the law until Tony crossed a line. Then they were just fighting each other. For multiple reasons on both sides. Cap broke the law, Bucky killed people, the friends were accomplices. Tony locked up Wanda and refused to listen to reason or ask any questions. FIGHT!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

X-O posted:

Hank McCoy made this. You can just tell.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

LGD posted:

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was a really fun movie and I'm sad that it almost certainly won't get a sequel, since stylized cold-war spy thriller/action/comedies are apparently extremely my poo poo. Cavill was a major reason I enjoyed it as much as I did, so I too am willing to attribute any perceived deficiencies in his Superman to outside circumstances rather than any limitations on his part.

And actually now that I think about it I realize I'd be more hyped for the purely theoretical sequel to that movie than any of DC's currently announced future lineup, which makes me feel weird.

The other thing about U.N.C.L.E is that once the (excellently done) opening segment behind the dread miserable Iron Curtain is over, it's of the most beautiful looking films of the decade. I just wanna hop in a time machine and head straight for 60s Italy after watching it, it's one of those films that really nails the 'every frame a picture' thing. Christ, that scene where the evil genius lady just drapes herself on the sofa looking down at Cavill... :swoon:

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here

X-O posted:

Ignite Memories posted:

I feel like the strongest elements of the new movies are when they lean into it being a period piece. It's a shame to hear that's not a big factor in XMA.
100% agree. I was hoping for non-stop 80s stuff but it seems like only Jubilee plays the part

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CapnAndy posted:

Hank McCoy made this. You can just tell.

And that's Stan Lee's voice at the end, isn't it?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nadir posted:

100% agree. I was hoping for non-stop 80s stuff but it seems like only Jubilee plays the part

There is a ton of 80s stuff in the film, but it's mostly diegetic. There's no real reason why it has to be set in the 80s other than to keep the character ages consistent which is a whole fuckin thing, so it's just a kind of weird decision. It leads to a couple of good gags and some really cool music cues though.

The loving Dazzler easter egg that they teased a few weeks back is just not in the film though, unless I completely missed it :(

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hakkesshu posted:

There is a ton of 80s stuff in the film, but it's mostly diegetic. There's no real reason why it has to be set in the 80s other than to keep the character ages consistent which is a whole fuckin thing, so it's just a kind of weird decision. It leads to a couple of good gags and some really cool music cues though.

The loving Dazzler easter egg that they teased a few weeks back is just not in the film though, unless I completely missed it :(

It isn't unless I missed it too.

Apocolypse felt like a less good remake of DoFP. It feels really bizarre to watch a remake of a movie that came out 2 years ago.

But everything from the overall plot beats, to the Quicksilver rescue gimmick, to "Eric is good, wait no he's evil!" felt like a rehash. Still a decent movie, but just decent. X-Men and Spiderman have always been my favorite properties and it is kind of a bummer that they have been so hit or miss for so long.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
New actors confirmed for Thor Ragnarok.

Cate Blanchett as Hela
Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster
Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie
Karl Urban as Skurge

http://marvel.com/news/movies/26203/marvel_studios_confirms_stellar_new_cast_members_of_the_highly_anticipated_thor_ragnarok#ixzz49DkA8xap

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

EDIT: drat your eyes and faster fingers.

Thor: Ragnarok officially has Cate Blanchett as Hela, Jeff Goldblum as someone called Grandmaster, Tessa
Thompson as Valkyrie, and Karl Urban as Skurge. That is some good loving casting.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Grandmaster is an elder of the universe, like the Collector in GOTG (at least in the comics)

Instead of getting stuff, he's obsessed with games

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
And Anthony Hopkins, Tom Hiddelston and Idris Elba are returning.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jeff Goldblum as The Grandmaster is the greatest thing I've read this week.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

rantmo posted:

EDIT: drat your eyes and faster fingers.

Thor: Ragnarok officially has Cate Blanchett as Hela, Jeff Goldblum as someone called Grandmaster, Tessa
Thompson as Valkyrie, and Karl Urban as Skurge. That is some good loving casting.

The Grandmaster is the same kind of person the Collector is (Benicio's character) Thanos took an infinity gem from him so it could be heading that route.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jeff Goldblum in literally anything is cause for celebration.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

Grandmaster is an elder of the universe, like the Collector in GOTG (at least in the comics)

Instead of getting stuff, he's obsessed with games
The Game of Life, uh, finds a way!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if we're going to see Karl Urban standing alone at Gjallerbru.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

lomzus posted:

Karl Urban as Skurge
Oh gently caress yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Karl Urban joins Mads Mikkelsen on my list of "people who should definitely be in Marvel movies, are cast in Marvel movies, but as the wrong characters and will now never get the parts they should have gotten."

(Ghost Rider and Doom, in cast it wasn't already super-obvious.)

• Locked thread