Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

jm20 posted:

My conservative FB feed is gobbling this story up, desperately trying to defame media darling Trudeau any way possible.

They've been so eager to slam Trudeau and his wife for months its really gross.

The opposition obviously (to me) feels that they aren't going to win any points attacking his governments policies, maybe because they're both leaderless and holding their own book of failed policies from the election, so they're making it personal. It's very distasteful.

It occurred to me that if the Liberals really wanted to push electoral reform, they could present the reforms and call a snap election on the issue while everyone else is in disarray. Sure Conservatives would cry fowl about wasting money, but I really think (hope?) everyone outside the Conservative base is tuning out their constant whiny tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Brannock posted:

Anything from Rona Ambrose yet?

She's talking about it live right now, Trudeau at 10:40

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-rona-ambrose-to-address-commons-fracas-after-elbowing-incident-1.3589007

e: now that's a privilege

e2: Butts wrote him a pretty good apology speech

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 19, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Brannock posted:

Anything from Rona Ambrose yet?

Not yet

quote:

Hehe. After Sanders' thugs throwing chairs around, it's time for the Canadian left to display some aggressiveness, and at the top level at that. Clearly, despite their best efforts to show otherwise, it is not just the right that loses it.

quote:

Lol. "Trudeau Bullying Incident". I love it.

quote:

He's a self proclaimed feminist, who hits women

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
If you are freaking out that this will be the fall of the house of Trudeau I'd say relax you are the only one. Trudeau's handlers remains as professional as ever and the quick apology was smart.

If you don't realize why his behavior merited an apology though I can't help you.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
The only behaviour that is really stupid here is the NDP blowing this up in a vain attempt to remind Canada that they still exist. Thats what we should be getting an apology for.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DynamicSloth posted:

If you don't realize why his behavior merited an apology though I can't help you.

I'm pretty sure everybody realises why his behaviour merited an apology, and I agree with you that it won't do any lasting damage, but what I struggle to understand is why it merits the utterly insane overreaction from the entire Opposition (save Elizabeth May who, and I never dreamed I would say this, is being the model of restraint) and, to a certain extent, the media.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

ZShakespeare posted:

The only behaviour that is really stupid here is the NDP blowing this up in a vain attempt to remind Canada that they still exist. Thats what we should be getting an apology for.

Then why did Trudeau apoligize?

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

I struggle to understand is why it merits the utterly insane overreaction from the entire Opposition

If you look closely, Mulcair coaches the MP in question to leave the room. She was going back to her seat when they spoke, and she left before Trudeau made the path to her to apologize. Mulcair's outrage was manufactured because the more dysfunctional Parliament appears to be, the more relevant and principled (and moral!) Angry Tom looks.

I don't want to assign a partisan perspective to this because I don't consider myself partisan, but there's little explanation that satisfies the course of events other than a dirty dirty play by the NDP.

edit: To be clear, I don't condone Trudeau's bullish conduct in the House. I think it's unprofessional and unbecoming, and does add to the perceived dysfunction of the House that's becoming sort of a trend. I think people are rushing to an explanation because it does seem out of-character for him to act like that (it isn't really, you piece of poo poo). But what was rude and arrogant behavior has become a rallying torch for the opposition to stoke and kindle to sell as something much worse than it really is.

Amgard fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 19, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If I didn't think they were entirely too busy making sure people didn't kill themselves or be killed by someone else today, I'd want someone to ask a case worker or shelter volunteer who deals with actual violence against women to tell us where an accidental elbow in the boob ranks on a scale that includes getting your teeth smashed in or having cigarettes stubbed out on your body. I'm sure they just love it when "violence against women" is expanded to include a horrifying display such as this.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
This is the dumbest loving news cycle I have ever endured as a Canadian.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm pretty sure everybody realises why his behaviour merited an apology, and I agree with you that it won't do any lasting damage, but what I struggle to understand is why it merits the utterly insane overreaction from the entire Opposition (save Elizabeth May who, and I never dreamed I would say this, is being the model of restraint) and, to a certain extent, the media.

If my boss walked into the office kitchen, yelled at your coworker to "get the gently caress out of the way" and grabbed another coworker by the arm because he was late for a meeting, we probably wouldn't be talking about much else that day either.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DynamicSloth posted:

Optics

DynamicSloth posted:

If my boss walked into the office kitchen, yelled at your coworker to "get the gently caress out of the way" and grabbed another coworker by the arm because he was late for a meeting, we probably wouldn't be talking about much else that day either.

Trudeau is not their boss. In his role he is MP, Leader of the LPC, and PM but none of these equate to boss of anyone but his own party.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

Because it looks really bad if you don't, he loses nothing by doing so, and it restores civility to an uncivilized situation. It's not exactly "big" of him to apologize, it's expected.

Plus if it comes down to votes on the Assisted Dying Bill (or any bills in the future), Trudeau has the narrative back in his favor to some extent.

quote:

Probably, but it's pretty petty and gross that all we care about in politics this week is a gentle nudge and an angry idiot screaming his head off, and not major legislation being tabled.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

DynamicSloth posted:

Where I'm from, inadvertently bumping into someone warrants an apology, at the very least polite if not sincere

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm pretty sure everybody realises why his behaviour merited an apology,

Which thread are you reading?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

DynamicSloth posted:

Because it's what a civilized human does in a situation like this, rather than use it as a platform to score some cheap political points that makes your party into a joke to anyone with two neurons to rub together?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Ofcourse he will apologize, he's a Canadian what is wrong with you people. People will apologize under their breath if they momentarily impede someones path on the sidewalk

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Brannock posted:

Where I'm from, inadvertently bumping into someone warrants an apology, at the very least polite if not sincere
Yeah, posts like this are what I'm talking about. He didn't accidentally bump into someone and mutter sorry under his breath, he visibly lost his cool (for seemingly no matter of import), swore at his colleagues and grabbed an opposition member and dragged him across the floor.

He's also issued at least three formal apologies (which again I agree is the right thing to do).

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 19, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
People keep refusing to look at the video so I did y'all a courtesy

http://i.imgur.com/q1J9sPs.gifv

You can see Graybeard here switch positions three times. The first two are maybe explainable as him being an oblivious idiot, the third time he's putting his entire body weight on his left leg and closing shoulder gap with Mulcair to his left. He immediately makes space and acts innocent when he sees JT walking towards the crowd.

JT approaches, takes Brown by his arm (instead of GRAPPLING HIM AND NEARLY TEARING HIS SLEEVE) and guides him through the crowd. Brown stumbles a bit while being led by JT since he's trying to not bump into anyone else. Before JT turns away he says something to Mulcair or looks directly at Mulcair, I can't tell which.

If you look carefully at Brosseau she's oblivious for most of this, then she looks up and notices Brown trying to get through the crowd. Right at the same time the greybeard lurches to the left Brosseau takes a half-step forward seemingly to assist her fellow NDP in blocking Brown.

If you look at Mulcair too, you can see that he's perfectly aware that someone behind him is trying to break through. He stands there for a while making conversation with Brosseau, then when Brown makes his final attempt to get through Mulcair takes two steps backwards and closes shoulders with the old man.

Right before getting elbowed Brosseau turns and laughs at something a NDP said behind her. In the full video, from the next perspective angle, we can see Mulcair is laughing too while Trudeau leads Brown forward. It's only several seconds later that Mulcair realizes that Brosseau was violently assaulted.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I was happy to find a sixer of Fin du Monde at the LCBO this weekend. As craft beers go, I'd say it's pretty good, and I think I like it better than Beau's.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

The Beaverton posted:

Entire NDP caucus arrive in neck braces, wheelchairs to House of Commons after Trudeau's assault
Thursday, 19 May 2016 13:57 Written by James Bunting

OTTAWA - All 44 members of the NDP caucus arrived in Parliament this morning wearing neck braces, arm slings, head bandages, and seated in wheelchairs after yesterday’s physical altercation with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

“Justin Trudeau has ruined my life,” said Mulcair, wheeling himself into the House of Commons with one arm while the other was in bandages. “I’ve lost my ability to do the thing I do best: yell and point my finger. I will be pursuing full damages for my pain and suffering.”

The NDP claim that the Prime Minister’s vicious attack took place as the party was having a calm, respectful conversation about how to help poor orphans.

“He came running at me like a blood-thirsty maniac who crushed my body and my soul,” said Manitoba’s NDP Niki Ashton who was in crutches and wearing an eyepatch. “As a result, I have chronic pain and the inability to win leadership races.”

The NDP was not the only victim of Trudeau’s supposedly ruthless attack.

“He threw me over the balcony,” said Conservative whip Gord Brown while wearing a tight neck brace and moaning just loud enough to be heard by assembled reporters. “His eyes were like the fiery pits of hell! If he had any class, he would step down from his position and give me $383,000.”

Injury lawyers from Diamond and Diamond are pursuing a class action lawsuit against Trudeau and the House of Commons for $100 million and are reminding MPs that if they have been injured in a Justin Trudeau-related Parliamentary accident to call 1-800-SUEJTNOW.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

I was happy to find a sixer of Fin du Monde at the LCBO this weekend. As craft beers go, I'd say it's pretty good, and I think I like it better than Beau's.

Finally important poo poo to talk about.

Fin du Monde owns. Unibroue is a national treasure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DynamicSloth posted:

If you are freaking out that this will be the fall of the house of Trudeau I'd say relax you are the only one. Trudeau's handlers remains as professional as ever and the quick apology was smart.

"Oh sorry about that," would've done. The auto-de-fé was frankly unnecessary.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

they've been really on point lately

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

Fin du Monde ... craft beers

I believe unibroue is owned by sleeman's which is owned by sapporo which is owned by a giant cayman island hedge fund. Not that that makes it a bad beer or anything but it's craft beer in the same way that Trudeau is a feminist.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Brannock posted:

JT approaches, takes Brown by his arm (instead of GRAPPLING HIM AND NEARLY TEARING HIS SLEEVE) and guides him through the crowd.
That's still loving crazy, why in God's name would Trudeau take it upon himself to personally coral other Member's of Parliament. If he was a Liberal back bencher he'd be getting torn a new one by his House Leader right now.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Amgard posted:

Finally important poo poo to talk about.

Fin du Monde owns. Unibroue is a national treasure.

The MLCC recently expanded its selection of Unibroue past single bottles and now offers full cases.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nothing that happened reflects well on the Liberals or the NDP but the NDP were the most WTF of all of it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ikantski posted:

I believe unibroue is owned by sleeman's which is owned by sapporo which is owned by a giant cayman island hedge fund.

Hmm, that could explain why it's easier to find at LCBOs.

Is it just me or are there a LOT of tiny breweries popping up around Ottawa? There's one on my walk home from work that offers free samples to anyone who wants to wade into the bush behind the Shefford commerical park, so maybe I'll try that when I know I won't have anything to do the next day just in case. Have you noticed any that aren't Traceroute: The Beverage?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

https://twitter.com/TheBeaverton/status/733296891446726660

https://twitter.com/TheBeaverton/status/733315081442721793

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

Nothing that happened reflects well on the Liberals or the NDP but the NDP were the most WTF of all of it

The NDP were being loving children there. Like, ffs, these are the people helping make decisions in this country? What the hell? Why do we continue to elect these people if they're going to play childish blocking games?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

Is it just me or are there a LOT of tiny breweries popping up around Ottawa? There's one on my walk home from work that offers free samples to anyone who wants to wade into the bush behind the Shefford commerical park, so maybe I'll try that when I know I won't have anything to do the next day just in case. Have you noticed any that aren't Traceroute: The Beverage?

You can get Unibroue in the southern United States and even some places in Britain, it's got a pretty wide distribution.

As for microbreweries popping up, our resident Ontario beer expert did post a while ago that the number of breweries in Ontario has been growing by the hundreds in the past few years.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DynamicSloth posted:

That's still loving crazy, why in God's name would Trudeau take it upon himself to personally coral other Member's of Parliament. If he was a Liberal back bencher he'd be getting torn a new one by his House Leader right now.

Because Trudeau was sick of the childish bullshit Mulcair and that other fucker were causing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

This should be added to the OP and the next thread imo. We need to keep pauldewar.gif as well

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

If you like fin du monde and want local craft, you might like big rig's black ipa, it's a mouthful but less alcohol and more hops. Dominion City has really good beer, I'd go there if it was closer. You might see Whitewater Brewing can in LCBO too, they're from Cobden and pretty good.

Fake edit: A list, http://ottawamagazine.com/eating-and-drinking/capital-pint/capital-pint-the-ultimate-beer-run/#more-67094

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Vintersorg posted:

Because Trudeau was sick of the childish bullshit Mulcair and that other fucker were causing.

https://twitter.com/curryb/status/733321309178974208

:golfclap:

Can we bring in a high school model Parliament to replace everyone up on the hill?

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

Mulcair and his stooges were openly bullying a frail old fart of a man. Trudeau may have come in fists swinging like a Bull in a china shop, but in his mind he was standing up for a dude who was being prevented from moving in the House, to his bench, by a bunch of five year old children.

How it played out is open for discussion, but if you think Trudeau's primary goal was to beat up some opposition: you're definitely drinking the kool-aid the media is mixing.

quote:

NDP house leader Julian refuses to say whether NDP were deliberately blocking Brown to delay last night's vote. Calls it "irrelevant."

— Bill Curry (@curryb) May 19, 2016

lmao

quote:

it's a mouthful but less alcohol and more hops

Jesus dude, why even bother

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I have recently discovered that I really like Witbier. What is best?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ikantski posted:

If you like fin du monde and want local craft, you might like big rig's black ipa, it's a mouthful but less alcohol and more hops. Dominion City has really good beer, I'd go there if it was closer. You might see Whitewater Brewing can in LCBO too, they're from Cobden and pretty good.

Fake edit: A list, http://ottawamagazine.com/eating-and-drinking/capital-pint/capital-pint-the-ultimate-beer-run/#more-67094

I do like Chris Phillips as a person but a mouthful of hops isn't my idea of a good time. Pretty sure Dominion City's the name of the place I was talking about, so now I have an excuse to go by there insteaoh god some savage microwaved fish sticks I am loving out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
time for a roll call

all you dumb motehrfuckers who voted NDP, confess your sins