Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Shagman
Oct 25, 2007

Blood for the Blood Puddle!
Skulls for the Skull Pile!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Theranos' technology doesn't work and never has worked lol.

Let's not be hasty here, let us strive to only reach the conclusions that the evidence allows.

Now what is the evidence?

We have learned that Theranos got improper results from Siemens equipment. Does this prove that Siemens's equipment is faulty? Certainly not; the Theranos employees were merely incapable of using such equipment properly.

Similarly, do improper results from Theranos' own Edison machines demonstrate that these machines do not work? No more than in the previous situation, and furthermore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Quick, schedule another mad money appearance!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone's about to get sued.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Theranos is the pharmaceutical equivalent of a degree mill.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's not Elon Musk but this tech recruiter rear end in a top hat is quite up front about his opinion towards labor:
That's Alex St. John... he's less a tech recruiter and more sort of dinosaur hanger-on doing speeches etc. as far as I can tell.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not after these lawsuits! :homebrew:

:drat:

I'm actually pretty surprised that Californian welders and pipe fitters and such get paid better than anestesiologists, and not at all surprised companies would try to avoid dealing with that racket.

It was pretty interesting to read that the dudes coming in to do the work are by and large happy with the arrangement and regard it as a good wage that allows them to send money home to their families despite their wages being a little less per hour than they'd make working at a McDonalds in Fresno.

California labor market seems ripe for disruption.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

wateroverfire posted:

I'm actually pretty surprised that Californian welders and pipe fitters and such get paid better than anestesiologists, and not at all surprised companies would try to avoid dealing with that racket.

It was pretty interesting to read that the dudes coming in to do the work are by and large happy with the arrangement and regard it as a good wage that allows them to send money home to their families despite their wages being a little less per hour than they'd make working at a McDonalds in Fresno.

California labor market seems ripe for disruption.

Yes, we need to disrupt the ability for the citizens of California to feed their families.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

exploding mummy posted:

Yes, we need to disrupt the ability for the citizens of California to feed their families.

What about the ability of citizens of Slovakia to feed their families?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

wateroverfire posted:

Why do they have to do that in California?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

duz posted:

Why do they have to do that in California?

Because the jobs are in California? (and wherever Auto plants are built, apparantly, according to the article)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

wateroverfire posted:

They continue to not work for Tesla?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shagman posted:

Though the real funny thing is that many of the tests were not run on their revolutionary Edison machines but on regular competitor's machines, and they still hosed up.

Weren't there reports that Theranos were taking their fingerstick samples and diluting the samples so that they could run them on regular machines? That would do it.

wateroverfire posted:

Racket? Seriously? God forbid that a skilled industrial job be paid as well as a skilled professional job. Or that welders get paid a living wage.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 19, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Edit: curiously still not disrupted by quote.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Racket? Seriously? God forbid that a skilled industrial job be paid as well as a skilled professional job. Or that welders get paid a living wage.

All non-tech professions are overpaid and entitled scum.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Even being paid 10-20x less, the Slovakian workers were getting paid a living wage (for Slovakia). In fact, it was a wage higher than the prevailing one in their country for the same work. It was a really good thing for those workers, who apparantly were also skilled enough to do the work. God forbid that welders from Slovakia get paid a living wage instead of welders from California, right? Is that not an equally valid perspective?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

Even being paid 10-20x less, the Slovakian workers were getting paid a living wage (for Slovakia). God forbid that welders from Slovakia get paid a living wage instead of welders from California, right? Is that not an equally valid perspective?
The United States has minimum-wage laws, workman's compensation, and Obamacare. The Slovakian workers had none of the above. Why should the United States allow companies to violate their labor laws in order to pay workers less than the going wage? What advantage is it to the United States to allow companies to hire Slovakian workers instead of American workers?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Slovakia is an entirely separate country theb Slovenia. :ughh:

American education at its finest.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
hey now I think said poster is South American so give us poor US bastards a break

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hmpf. I was just being too polite to correct his thinko.

Okay, okay, I missed it.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Shagman posted:

So Theranos just invalidated 2 years of test results.
Wall Street Journal article which broke the story (may be behind a paywall)

Apparently it's unprecedented in the medical field to blanket recall tests like that; they may recall an individual type of test (calcium or whatever) but never all the tests. Like how automobile manufacturer sometimes recall cars because one part can malfunction, but never because all of the parts can malfunction.

Though the real funny thing is that many of the tests were not run on their revolutionary Edison machines but on regular competitor's machines, and they still hosed up.

The people of Theranos are probably a lot like the people I work for. First, you start out knowing you are a good person doing the right thing. Then, you assume that regulators enforcing the law directly against you is the way the system is supposed to work. If everyone self-enforced, why would regulations and regulators even exist? And you end up in hilarious situations like this one where your company has been caught fundamentally not understanding the science, business or regulatory framework of the field it operates in and you think "oh well, we'll get them next time" and never once consider that you are both incompetent and hurting people.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

wateroverfire posted:

I'm actually pretty surprised that Californian welders and pipe fitters and such get paid better than anestesiologists

They don't?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

wateroverfire posted:

Even being paid 10-20x less, the Slovakian workers were getting paid a living wage (for Slovakia). In fact, it was a wage higher than the prevailing one in their country for the same work. It was a really good thing for those workers, who apparantly were also skilled enough to do the work. God forbid that welders from Slovakia get paid a living wage instead of welders from California, right? Is that not an equally valid perspective?

Where are the Slovenian workers living, again?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

This is a derail, but past the most surface level of analysis it's actually a pretty dangerous practice as it ends with one countries "well paying jobs" being still at a low standard relative to developed countries, but with no way for the country to develop a local economy that will allow the country to develop, because they outsource skilled labor to the States or where ever.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wateroverfire posted:

Even being paid 10-20x less, the Slovakian workers were getting paid a living wage (for Slovakia).

bruh

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

They don't?

I really, really shouldn't trust other people's throwaway figures. Californian anesthesiologists make an average of $104.26/hour. See? The working classes aren't being coddled after all.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Anesthesiologists have to have the easiest customer-facing job on the planet

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
You'd think so, but it's apparently super stressful because you have pretty high risk of killing someone. Rates of depression/drug abuse/suicide are surprisingly high for anesthesiologists.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Jokes are illegal on this forum

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Also contract welding wages are generally really fuzzy and when people talk about welder's getting paid "100 dollars an hour" what they're saying is generally a 40/hr wage, a 50/hr rental on the rig truck, and then about 20-40/hr in consumables

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I really, really shouldn't trust other people's throwaway figures. Californian anesthesiologists make an average of $104.26/hour. See? The working classes aren't being coddled after all.

The $55/hr figure that wateronfire pulled up might be based off an 80 hour workweek, which is rather disingenuous

quote:

Defining work hours for an anesthesiologist can be complicated. Those in private practice may work 80 hours a week, according to the Student Doctor Network. Many anesthesiologists work 12-hour shifts and may be on call for periods lasting 24 hours, according to a March 2012 article on TheDO website. Others may work part-time. The average salary for anesthesiologists in 2012 was $232,830 a year, according to the BLS, for an average hourly wage of $111.94. This is based on a 40-hour work week. If an anesthesiologist worked 80 hours a week, her hourly wage would be $55.97. However, TheDO website notes that an experienced hospital-based anesthesiologist might earn $350,000 a year. In that case, the hourly wage of an anesthesiologist who worked 80 hours a week would be $84.13.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Shagman posted:

So Theranos just invalidated 2 years of test results.
Wall Street Journal article which broke the story (may be behind a paywall)

Apparently it's unprecedented in the medical field to blanket recall tests like that; they may recall an individual type of test (calcium or whatever) but never all the tests. Like how automobile manufacturer sometimes recall cars because one part can malfunction, but never because all of the parts can malfunction.

A short writeup from the consumerist for people who can't access WSJ

https://consumerist.com/2016/05/19/blood-testing-startup-theranos-voids-last-2-years-of-test-results/

Or you know, just google it because paywalls are hilariously bad at protecting content.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Looks like the stale medical industry needs a crash course in lean startup. Theranos got some great market feedback on their MVP and is now ready to iterate.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nothing would make me happier than to see doctors replaced by robots.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

quote:

One family practitioner in a suburb of Phoenix said a Theranos representative dropped off a stack of 20 corrected test reports a few weeks ago. Many of the voided results were for calcium, estrogen and testosterone tests.

The doctor said one corrected report is for a patient she sent to the emergency room after receiving abnormally elevated test results from Theranos in late 2014.

The corrected report from Theranos now shows normal values for those tests, according to the doctor.

They are going to get absolutely shredded by lawyers...

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If you played Elizabeth Holmes interviews backwards, what kind of demons could you summon?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cultural Imperial posted:

If you played Elizabeth Holmes interviews backwards, what kind of demons could you summon?

Too small to detect with certainty.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
For the record the Slovakian mistake was based on wateroverfire replying to me I think. The original story I was getting details from actually messed that up (a crappy local radio station) too.

But I do think it's funny how utterly he missed the point and takes 'workers illegally brought to the US who don't speak the language/know labor laws, have generally failed to report these violations while housed in company leased apartments' as 'because they were happy with the arrangement'
Also I'd love to hear besides bombastic 'It costs 20x that to hire an illegal unqualified worker to hire a full time specialty skilled labor position that requires certification!' what he believes would be a fair rate of compensation in Southern California for both skilled and unskilled labor.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hmpf. I was just being too polite to correct his thinko.

Okay, okay, I missed it.

Oh no, I made a minor error. I will forever not be super worried about it.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wage + Pension contributions (according to the article) are comparable - in the mid 90's.

Quandary posted:

This is a derail, but past the most surface level of analysis it's actually a pretty dangerous practice as it ends with one countries "well paying jobs" being still at a low standard relative to developed countries, but with no way for the country to develop a local economy that will allow the country to develop, because they outsource skilled labor to the States or where ever.

That doesn't seem to follow. There are a ton of skilled tradespeople just flat out of work because the economies in their countries are terrible. Taking jobs outside their home countries keeps them working when otherwise they wouldn't be, earns them higher wages, and brings money into their countries. That can't be anything but good for their local economies if the alternative is the unemployment or underemployment of the workers in question.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

nachos posted:

The $55/hr figure that wateronfire pulled up might be based off an 80 hour workweek, which is rather disingenuous

Student Doctor Network is the 4chan equivalent of doctor message boards. It's just trolls all the way down. Anesthesiologists work 40-50 hours per week. If they worked 80, they would make $300-350+k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Cultural Imperial posted:

A demon that gorged on buckets of your blood and then growled accurate test results over your corpse.