Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

The Kins posted:

Because Wolfenstein was developed by another Bethesda-owned studio (MachineGames) using Id's properties and tech. Id's previous self-developed game was Rage, which wasn't bad but certainly wasn't worth seven years of development time.

Rage was pretty good for what it was. 7 years seems like a long time until you realize that the technology behind Rage (idtech5) is basically the ground work for where we are today with idtech6. Pretty sure id has made an entirely new game engine for every game they have ever made which i am guessing is the majority of the development time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

They also took an entirely different approach to lighting and shadows with 5, if you haven't seen the Digital Foundry analysis of the graphics, it's quite good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la0O0SyM3gg

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm really loving this game, but there have been a couple bits that have made me stop and say "what we're the devs thinking?"

Like any time the game has platforming sections, I'm thinking "why am I not shooting demons right now, this is tedious"

Scaling the Argent Tower was mega-dumb (although the fight at the base of the tower was balls-out awesome). Likewise, jumping across the platforms of the half-completed bridge on the way to the Tower gave me flashbacks to the bridge section in Half Life 2.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

RAGE honestly felt more like a tech demo than anything else. It's like they developed this engine first and didn't want to put any of their franchises on it yet and instead opted to make something new. Unfortunately they weren't sure what direction to go with it since RAGE is full of half-baked ideas such as the driving and was so incomplete they forgot to include a proper final bossfight or even a second of half of the game. Seriously I went, "WTF? That's it?" when I finished it.

Wingsticks are amazing though and I hope they show up in another game.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The rune that speeds glory kills up to 2x, then 3x on the next rank, is brilliant. Get a group of possessed and just fist of the north star your way to victory :black101:

My rune setup is 3x glory kill speed, run speed increase on glory kill, and vacuum pickups. It's basically DOOM 2016's -turbo switch and lets you make an already fast game even faster

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 19, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I went with

• Armor on kill
  • Double Ammo
  • Enemies stagger more easily

Dunno what I'll do about nightmare mode :ohdear:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

They also took an entirely different approach to lighting and shadows with 5, if you haven't seen the Digital Foundry analysis of the graphics, it's quite good
This was an informative video, thanks.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I went with

- Glory Kill from far away.
- Glory Kills drop armor as well as health
- Vacuum

Playing as Vanguard Doomguy is fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I went for Glory Kills From Further Away (way more useful than stagger + I think), Armor On Kill and Equipment Power.

Holy poo poo people, if you don't upgrade equipment give it a shot. High-level grenades and Holograms are like cheat buttons.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013
The ammo rune is pretty ace since the upgrades has a chance to drop BFG ammo!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jum-Jum posted:

The ammo rune is pretty ace since the upgrades has a chance to drop BFG ammo!
I don't have the BFG yet but my weapon wheel is full, where does it go?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's got a dedicated thing like chainsaw.

The BFG is just basically a "I don't really want to do this fight" button more than a regular weapon. I actually didn't use it much because the fights are so fun I don't want to skip them.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was wondering the same thing once I got the chaingun: It's a 'special weapon', like the chainsaw is. Has it's own dedicated button.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

smellmycheese posted:

I havent got to the end yet so no spoilers plz but was I the only one that from the very first transmission went "Samuel Hayden - S.HAYDEN - SATAN"

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and faith

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
:rock:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Morter posted:

I went with

• Armor on kill
  • Double Ammo
  • Enemies stagger more easily

Dunno what I'll do about nightmare mode :ohdear:

My loadout was

* Extra Ammo
* Better Air Control
* Increased run speed after glory kill

The latter two make you pretty drat mobile, you can do some bunny hops you can't do otherwise.

I'm gonna have to start hacking this game and see if I can't give myself permanent 24/7 haste effect. If I could do that I would be so loving happy.

Wanna play through on nightmare with permanent haste. Don't care if that's cheating, it'll be fun as poo poo.

Xenomrph posted:

I'm really loving this game, but there have been a couple bits that have made me stop and say "what we're the devs thinking?"

Like any time the game has platforming sections, I'm thinking "why am I not shooting demons right now, this is tedious"

Scaling the Argent Tower was mega-dumb (although the fight at the base of the tower was balls-out awesome). Likewise, jumping across the platforms of the half-completed bridge on the way to the Tower gave me flashbacks to the bridge section in Half Life 2.

Yeah I don't really care for all the tons of platforming. First person platforming just doesn't really feel good compared to third person platforming.

A little bit would be okay, especially for secrets, but making you do tooons of it just to play through the levels the way they're intended was a bad and dumb choice.

Having double-jumping is great. Making you use double-jumping on platforms is unneccesary; its fine just for combat and secrets.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 19, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm going to try and sum up the plot as I understand it so far, but before I do, I need to figure out if this story is stand-alone, or if it's tied into the Doom 1, 2, and DOOM line. Doom 3 was a re-boot of Doom 1 I understand.

For some reason, Doom guy was entombed within a stone sarcophagus that was covered in what look like demonic rune etchings. I don't know why, but it's pretty weird that Doom guy was ensconced in desecrated rock.

The UAC mission on Mars seems more cultish and religious than scientific. Or, kind of like in Dead Space, as more and more was discovered about the previous alien civilization on Mars, the more religious people became. Like when the people on the Ushimura began to revere the marker like a religious icon while it converted them into the necromorphs. One particular higher up then went ahead and did a crazy thing by unleashing demons on Mars.

In the beginning of the game we saw a hologram where she said "We have to contain him. He could ruin everything." Which I believe means she wanted to contain Doom guy before he does what Doom guy does; murder demons and thwart plans. After all, that woman is who is responsible for what happened on Mars.

Is that more or less right?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm going to try and sum up the plot as I understand it so far, but before I do, I need to figure out if this story is stand-alone, or if it's tied into the Doom 1, 2, and DOOM line. Doom 3 was a re-boot of Doom 1 I understand.

For some reason, Doom guy was entombed within a stone sarcophagus that was covered in what look like demonic rune etchings. I don't know why, but it's pretty weird that Doom guy was ensconced in desecrated rock.

The UAC mission on Mars seems more cultish and religious than scientific. Or, kind of like in Dead Space, as more and more was discovered about the previous alien civilization on Mars, the more religious people became. Like when the people on the Ushimura began to revere the marker like a religious icon while it converted them into the necromorphs. One particular higher up then went ahead and did a crazy thing by unleashing demons on Mars.

In the beginning of the game we saw a hologram where she said "We have to contain him. He could ruin everything." Which I believe means she wanted to contain Doom guy before he does what Doom guy does; murder demons and thwart plans. After all, that woman is who is responsible for what happened on Mars.

doomguy is encased in rock because doom 1-64 are all canon, he was so good at demon killing that he got magically entered into some ancient demon hating order, and was buried until he was needed again much much later.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've had two bugs in the final two missions where I've had to restart from latest checkpoint, and then in the final mission I have to restart the entire mission to get past a door that won't open. It looks as if it's open but there's an invisible wall there. :sigh:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I've only finished the first mission on Hurt Me Plenty and I don't think I've ever been this pleasantly surprised by a game. I hated the first trailer they showed at E3, and then the beta was horse trash, but drat this single player is super rad.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thebushcommander posted:

Pretty sure id has made an entirely new game engine for every game they have ever made which i am guessing is the majority of the development time.

No. Doom and Doom II and Final Doom were all the same engine. Quake was a new engine, but Quake II engine was largely composed of stuff from Quake, and Quake III was the same way, largely stuff from Quake II. Also Wolf 3D and Spear of Destiny were the same engine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bardeh posted:

I've had two bugs in the final two missions where I've had to restart from latest checkpoint, and then in the final mission I have to restart the entire mission to get past a door that won't open. It looks as if it's open but there's an invisible wall there. :sigh:

I got stuck inside places that I couldn't jump out from a few times and once I got to the last area it crashed multiple times. Very annoying for otherwise polish.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Capsaicin posted:

I've only finished the first mission on Hurt Me Plenty and I don't think I've ever been this pleasantly surprised by a game. I hated the first trailer they showed at E3, and then the beta was horse trash, but drat this single player is super rad.

It lived up to my expectations, I had high expectations because I know Doom is good. And all the stuff the devs had said about the single-player sounded great, plus the little snippets we saw were promising to me. And I've liked every FPS id has made.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la0O0SyM3gg

The tech really is impressive as hell, especially considering they lost Carmack everybody expected them to kinda lag behind, but if anything Doom is more technically impressive than Rage was for its time, even though it had Carmack's help. Megatextures were kinda overkill and didn't actually help much.

Doom runs at 60fps (thank you Jesus) and uses really impressive temporal anti-aliasing to hide the down-scaling on console really well, and even on PC the anti-aliasing is really nice and cheaper than trying to run full MSAA at 1440 or 4k which is pretty impractical and gives minor visual improvements.

The shadows and lighting look really impressive all over the place. Some of the best lighting and explosions I've ever seen.

The most important thing of all though is the motion blur; this is probably the best and most natural motion blur I've ever seen and it makes the entire game look absolutely unbelievably good, like a pre-rendered CG trailer for a game that doesn't exist. I said before that Doom actually looks like the kind of CG videogame they'd make up for a movie or a TV show, it doesn't seem real.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I turned motion blur off at first because I normally hate it, but seeing videos with it on got me to turn it back on. Id nailed it. As for mega textures, they didn't really work well for Rage, but I'm glad they got them out there and working.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

The most important thing of all though is the motion blur; this is probably the best and most natural motion blur I've ever seen and it makes the entire game look absolutely unbelievably good, like a pre-rendered CG trailer for a game that doesn't exist. I said before that Doom actually looks like the kind of CG videogame they'd make up for a movie or a TV show, it doesn't seem real.

This is part of what makes this game so perfect to me. The visual impressiveness, smoothness, and technical set up making it run faster and smoother than MGS5, the animations and kills look drat near perfect, and shooting/succeeding never felt so good in an FPS.

Like, if this were any other series, I'd be just as impressed at the gameplay. The fact that it's DooM is a lovely bonus, but I'm not standing around post arena battle going "Yeah i ROCKED those hell knights", I'm thinking "Holy poo poo what a loving rush, how did I live that?!", which makes every glory kill, chainsaw kill, and SSG gibbing a thrilling experience.

I've been playing shooters since I was barely out of being a toddler, and I've had a lot of fun playing other games, but DooM 2016 is literally the best, most exhilarating shooter I've ever played.

I will happily pay 30-60 bucks for another full campaign/map pack. Please.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The per-object motion blur is so good you don't even notice that it's there. It helps that the game is 60fps on consoles and runs nearly double that on 970s and beyond. Tiago Sousa is a genius.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really loathed the motion blur and turned it off and don't really miss it, but it looks great even without it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I feel like because SnapMap is shared between console and PC you can't really make full fledged single player maps on PC since it has to be able to run on the Xbox 1 :sigh: I really hope they do single player expansions for this game. It's just so good. I honestly cannot go back and play other single player campaigns of other shooters. Enemies feel boring and I feel like I'm stuck in cement whenever I do

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I feel like because SnapMap is shared between console and PC you can't really make full fledged single player maps on PC since it has to be able to run on the Xbox 1 :sigh: I really hope they do single player expansions for this game. It's just so good. I honestly cannot go back and play other single player campaigns of other shooters. Enemies feel boring and I feel like I'm stuck in cement whenever I do

The PS4 is just as limiting, dude.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

This is one of the first games where I didn't feel the need to immediately turn off motion blur.

Which reminds me, gently caress you Arkham Knight :thumbsup:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

fishmech posted:

The PS4 is just as limiting, dude.

Oops yeah meant to type in PS4. I'm half distracted playing DOOM :v:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm in the second map (gotta find the yellow key card), and are these doors that are marked with "Security Station Activation Requried" going to be unlocked a normal way (smashing a panel or something) or are they secret rooms that I'm supposed to platform my way into?

Oh, and are there any "hit X on this conspicuous piece of wall" type secrets like there was in Wolf3D and Doom 1?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

From what I can gather, the UAC isn't necessarily cultish, but rather the nature of hell leads people down that path slowly corrupting you. It's why there's "tiers" of employees with tier 3 being so far gone they're effectively useless and basically chucked into hell as fodder so the scout drones can do their thing. The Doomguy is literally the only human to go to hell and come back. The corrupting influence of hell is likely what lead to Hayden carving up his brain and putting it in a cyborg rather then sudden brain cancer that appears a few months before Argent went online, so he retains his memories and critical thinking but no longer has the bits that get seduced by hell. If that's the case it also makes sense why he would select Olivia to head up her own research branch as she refused painkillers for fear of dulling her mind. It's why Hayden remarks "I thought she was strong enough to resist their influence, I was wrong"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I turned motion blur off at first because I normally hate it, but seeing videos with it on got me to turn it back on. Id nailed it. As for mega textures, they didn't really work well for Rage, but I'm glad they got them out there and working.

I moved Doom to my SSD and I have a ton of RAM and even then sometimes I see blurry textures for a second as they load, but its not as bad as Rage where it was a problem every time you turned around. Megatextures still have some issues but its so much rarer than in Rage that I don't really mind, and it frees the artists up to be able to create more impressive levels.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

This is one of the first games where I didn't feel the need to immediately turn off motion blur.

Which reminds me, gently caress you Arkham Knight :thumbsup:

I had to knock it down to medium, but perhaps I should try high again after getting my bearings.

And by bearings I mean covered in hell-spawns' guts :black101:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK, just completed the Campaign despite the bugs I had preventing progress on the last two levels. It's a loving crime that the DLC is for the multiplayer - nobody is going to be playing it, especially once Overwatch releases in a few days. Id, I would pay good money just for map packs for the campaign. Just make map packs and sell them for $10 a piece or something. The combat in this game is so perfect that they could just release semi-regular mini campaigns and I bet they would make a shitload of money from it. Instead the DLC is focused on the lovely multiplayer, and it's a goddamn shame.

It feels like id got free reign on the single player, and utterly nailed it, and then Snapmap and the multiplayer were palmed off to lesser devs. I mean, with the rich history that Doom has with .wads, what the gently caress were they thinking with Snapmap? If they'd made it more versatile, and able to create maps on the scale of the Campaign, we could have had an awesome and accessible way for people to create their own custom map-packs and campaigns right off the bat. I cannot understand why you would develop something like Snapmap and then limit it in the way it has been. It's insane.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 19, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I would buy a Doom 2 - Hell on Earth DLC map pack for single player so hard.

Take my money Id!

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Kinda falling in love with the fully upgraded plasma heat wave mod, even though the stun mod is so good. It's like a super super shotgun and it feels so right to gib all the little enemies in front of you at once, and dumping a full blast and then emptying the super shotgun can down hell knights and revenants in single half-second combo.

lazorexplosion fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 19, 2016

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Ultra-Nightmare sounds like a pain, perma death?! Yeah, hurray, I'll keep it on Nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Honest Thief posted:

Ultra-Nightmare sounds like a pain, perma death?! Yeah, hurray, I'll keep it on Nightmare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP4uWdri58o