Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm out of town next week so I won't be there for the (presumably) end of Death House, which means I'll still be stuck on level 2 as a Paladin. At that point I might as well just make a Warlock and replace the Paladin. The big problem is that my 19 AC and willingness to stand in front of monsters is often the only thing that keeps everyone else alive. Of course, Eldritch Blast has a range of 120', I could just stay back then flee like a coward when everyone else dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Question time: what is the most bonkers level 1 build at the moment? Is there one at all?

Everyone sucks at level 1.

Druids own at level 2.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sage Genesis posted:

Good question. No, the spell only says that one berry provides enough nourishment for "a creature" for one day. It could be a halfling, it could be a giant.

So what could we guess is the daily caloric intake of say a Elder Dragon?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

PJOmega posted:

Or, since Wizards recently made a supplement for it, an Eldrazi?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Or Galactus

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Honestly, having a game where the best combat spell was the 'create food' spell would be baller.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I am playing a cleric for the first time (lawful good), in a campaign with a fairly standard fantasy setting, and last session our party met another party with a LG cleric that worships a different deity. I kind of glossed over any lore in the PHB about clerics and how having a pantheon of gods works, but generally how do clerics regard other clerics? I mean is it no different from how you'd expect a priest and a rabbi to get along? What would be an appropriate attitude for a cleric to take regarding the deities that others worship, allowing that my own deity is not the only deity to exist? I mean, this is stuff I'll decide for character myself, but I'm wondering how it's usually approached in general DnD settings.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

FAT BATMAN posted:

I am playing a cleric for the first time (lawful good), in a campaign with a fairly standard fantasy setting, and last session our party met another party with a LG cleric that worships a different deity. I kind of glossed over any lore in the PHB about clerics and how having a pantheon of gods works, but generally how do clerics regard other clerics? I mean is it no different from how you'd expect a priest and a rabbi to get along? What would be an appropriate attitude for a cleric to take regarding the deities that others worship, allowing that my own deity is not the only deity to exist? I mean, this is stuff I'll decide for character myself, but I'm wondering how it's usually approached in general DnD settings.

Obviously, it depends on the campaign, but my experience is most D&D settings assume clerics on the same general side tolerate each other -- there's not much in the way of inter-deity friction. Partly because, as you say, you can't really claim they're following false gods when they can cast the same spells you do, and partly because D&D clerics tend to spend less time debating doctrine and trying to save souls, and more time turning undead and patching up the fighter for the umpteenth time.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Its less "your god is not real, heathen" and more like with say the Greek gods and a cleric from a coastal city worshipping Poseidon running into a cleric from Athens who worships Athena. As long as there is no specific animosity or conflict between the gods, their worshippers are generally okay with each other.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

djw175 posted:

Or, since Wizards recently made a supplement for it, an Eldrazi?

What exactly is the nutritional information of "A reality" anyway?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Selachian posted:

...you can't really claim they're following false gods when they can cast the same spells you do...

If you wanted this conflict, you could describe one side as knowing that the other side's god is false - not by being not-a-god (since they clearly are, or at least are indistinguishable from one), but by not being who they say they are.

Are they right? Is either god who they say they are? Are they both the same god and there's some kind of vitally important cosmic reason that they've set it up like this?

Since Greek gods have come up, is it possible that one or both gods are just total loving dicks?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

An idea for a campaign I had long ago and never got around to; a world where there are hundreds if not thousands of gods, all of them with an agenda they're working on and a disinclination to work together. Someone who doesn't worship a god is a real big outcast but everyone else is constantly jockeying for favor with their god by screwing everyone else. The gods themselves sometimes appear in the physical realm but they don't have much power in that form.

The last time I mentioned it, someone suggested I read American Gods. It was a good suggestion.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

FAT BATMAN posted:

The followers can pretty easily imitate the Powers they worship. So the priests of Shar and Selune hate each other and the priests of Sylvanus and Chauntea totally chill out and drink some fine mead.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

An idea for a campaign I had long ago and never got around to; a world where there are hundreds if not thousands of gods, all of them with an agenda they're working on and a disinclination to work together. Someone who doesn't worship a god is a real big outcast but everyone else is constantly jockeying for favor with their god by screwing everyone else. The gods themselves sometimes appear in the physical realm but they don't have much power in that form.

The last time I mentioned it, someone suggested I read American Gods. It was a good suggestion.

This reminded me of the amazingly terrible Hell Tower game from the cat piss thread.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
I don't know if it was ever discussed but Wizards is no longer even printing magic certificates for the adventures anymore.

http://dndadventurersleague.org/adventures-certificates-for-stores-conventions/

Stores and cons will now have to print them out themselves.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

quote:

must be printed in full color

cannot have their dimensions changed from the provided document

must be printed on both sides

must be printed on white, parchment, or linen cardstock (90# or above)

That's a lot of :effort: and :10bux: to give out magic items. The cards were cool but I don't see many stores/DMs doing this themselves.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

Kaysette posted:

That's a lot of :effort: and :10bux: to give out magic items. The cards were cool but I don't see many stores/DMs doing this themselves.
If only Wizards had a way to print out cards the size of playing cards for magic items, keeping costs down. Sadly, I don't think they have a set-up or the infrastructure for this.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
We have a related talk a lot at the FLGS I play/run games at. Players are welcome to follow all the bookkeeping and be meticulous about making sure they have all the certificates - mentioned when applicable and furnished on request - and have filled in their logs correctly.... but I can't imagine anyone but a megasperg at a con demanding to see your (totally unverifiable and arbitrary) log sheet so if you don't want to track all of it officially, that's also totally fine. No one cares. Just don't make poo poo up or try to bring random table houserules into a game. As long as you put your official number on the store's game logsheet so that the store gets what meager materials will still roll in based on attendance, it's all cool.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

CaPensiPraxis posted:

We have a related talk a lot at the FLGS I play/run games at. Players are welcome to follow all the bookkeeping and be meticulous about making sure they have all the certificates - mentioned when applicable and furnished on request - and have filled in their logs correctly.... but I can't imagine anyone but a megasperg at a con demanding to see your (totally unverifiable and arbitrary) log sheet so if you don't want to track all of it officially, that's also totally fine. No one cares. Just don't make poo poo up or try to bring random table houserules into a game. As long as you put your official number on the store's game logsheet so that the store gets what meager materials will still roll in based on attendance, it's all cool.
I 100% agree, but it's just weird that this was such a huge cost to them somehow and they're getting rid of one of the things that incentivized stores to join in the program.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I go to gencon every year, no one gives a gently caress about AL log sheets. It's basically a DM safety valve in case some rear end in a top hat shows up with a dozen magic items.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Power Player posted:

I don't know if it was ever discussed but Wizards is no longer even printing magic certificates for the adventures anymore.

http://dndadventurersleague.org/adventures-certificates-for-stores-conventions/

Stores and cons will now have to print them out themselves.

I'm about a million years out of the loop on DnD, is that a thing like the old Living City campaigns from the late 90's - early 00's? Those were fun as hell when I was younger.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's superficially like the old thing, but WOTC has long since fired anyone who would have put any effort or creativity into it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This is basically just the Forgotten Realms, FYI.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So my GM had our group discover a hidden shrine to his world's goddess of magic meant to challenge her apprentices. My Sorcerer completed the tests inside and was rewarded with a scroll of Time Stop.

Now, I know in 5th edition you can't stack buffs anyone (Stoneskin, Haste, Blur, Mirror Image, Resistance and so on), so what's the best way for a magic user to utilize Time Stop in 5e?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

CobiWann posted:

So my GM had our group discover a hidden shrine to his world's goddess of magic meant to challenge her apprentices. My Sorcerer completed the tests inside and was rewarded with a scroll of Time Stop.

Now, I know in 5th edition you can't stack buffs anyone (Stoneskin, Haste, Blur, Mirror Image, Resistance and so on), so what's the best way for a magic user to utilize Time Stop in 5e?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NnyVc8r2SM but with instant fortresses above their heads

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kaysette posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NnyVc8r2SM but with instant fortresses above their heads

If I could Stop Time in a Battle
The only thing that I could do
Is summon some things because attacking things
Is too strong, according to the rules

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If I could make fights last forever
If rules didn't say what to do
I'd save every clarification and ask
my GM, who'd pretend that he knew.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Arivia posted:

This is basically just the Forgotten Realms, FYI.

Also see Exalted, which has kind of an animist meets kung fu movie world (cities and towns have their own minor gods, holy priests run around beating up gods that run good-farming-weather extortion rings), mixed with a Chinese heavenly bureaucracy kind of thing (lots of constant jockeying for position and rank for the gods in Heaven, with the Unconquered Sun as the big head honcho who officially runs everything but hasn't been seen outside of his stately pleasure dome in millenia).

Worship of the gods in the Exalted setting is more like the Greco-Roman model than how D&D does it—sometimes you do it just for the hope of a blessing, but if you're a powerful hero you can make prayer-deals with gods and make valuable sacrifices in exchange for special benefits, and if you're a really powerful hero you can go around beating up minor gods and taking their stuff.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So what would be the best class/build for TWF? No, not monk, that's cheating.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

P.d0t posted:

So what would be the best class/build for TWF? No, not monk, that's cheating.

Ask your GM.

Seriously though, likely a Bard.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Play a regular character but describe your sword as 'two swords'.

Like, just write all the stats for a greatsword down on your sheet, but instead of Greatsword write 'Two Swords'.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Swashbuckler Rogue. And kinda just the swashbuckler rogue.

TWF is, for the most part, garbage. It requires dex focus, likewise requires lovely weapons, disallows spellcasting, and spends your "bonus action" which, let's face it, is not a bonus at all. Most classes either use spellcasting or have a better place to spend their bonus action. Swashbuckler rogue is pretty much the only class who doesn't have better things to do with their bonus action, already wants to have a dex focus and light weapons, and has no spellcasting to worry about.

Bards, outside of one specific bard, are actually a terrible choice, as they need to worry about spellcasting and have better options to use their bonus action on. That one specific bard is basically "Valor Bard, But Worse, But Hey, Two Swords!" so gently caress that.

5e hates dual wielding. Unless you're a swashbuckler rogue, don't do it.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

ProfessorCirno posted:

5e hates melee.

ftfy

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

bewilderment posted:

Play a regular character but describe your sword as 'two swords'.

Like, just write all the stats for a greatsword down on your sheet, but instead of Greatsword write 'Two Swords'.

This is a surprisingly elegant answer

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Be a wizard and describe all your spell effects in terms of two swords. Cloud of daggers is easy, others need some imagination. All teleportation and planar travel can be accounted for by extreme sword sharpness as seen in The Subtle Knife.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Kaysette posted:

Be a wizard and describe all your spell effects in terms of two swords. Cloud of daggers is easy, others need some imagination. All teleportation and planar travel can be accounted for by extreme sword sharpness as seen in The Subtle Knife.

Mind control spells can easily be described as striking down the target's mental defenses.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Or just the threat of violence.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Or punching them so hard in the face they become your unwilling servant.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brain surgery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Currently running a low INT (10) wizard in a friend's campaign (everyone rolled 3d6, in order, for their stats); level 4's coming up and I'm divided as to which of two feats to take in place of a simple ability score improvement, Magic Initiate or Resilient. At a glance, Resilient feels like the more obvious choice since getting to add my proficiency to CON saves seems like a pretty sweet deal (be it rolling to maintain concentration or surviving an attack), but Magic Initiate would allow me to borrow some useful cantrips and a spell from another class (currently thinking cleric - Guidance, Spare the Dying, and Cure Wounds or Bless). With 10 INT I'm not much of a powerhouse when it comes to dealing damage, so I've mostly been focusing on utility and support spells, but I plan to branch out into summoning once those spells are available to me. If I take Magic Initiate now, I'll probably take Resilient later, but if I take Resilient now I dunno if I'll take Magic Initiate down the line. Thoughts? Something else I should consider?

On a more minor note, all my stats are even, so that +1 from Resilient is probably gonna bug me something fierce.

EDIT: Actually, now that I've written all that out and posted it, Magic Initiate seems like the better choice. I'll probably just go with that, though I'd still be interested in hearing other people's opinions.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 24, 2016