Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i'm pretty sure most of the process is automated. at least if you put your business on google on your own. then they send you a robo-call or postcard with a code on it. they cross reference your phone number or address with yellow pages.

fishmech posted:

also like half the info for businesses is put in by rando google users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

yard salad posted:

business have to pay google to have their results and reviews show up and Google hires call centers to harass businesses into paying up. it's not so much advertising as it is literal extortion, especially if they convince business that this is how people with disposable income decide on where to spend money

Literally completely wrong + you're an idiot

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Smythe posted:

Literally completely wrong + you're an idiot

sure, whatever

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

yard salad posted:

my source is a bitter old barber. he claims he gets a daily call from different call centers wanting him to help boost his google pagerank or something. you're probably right though, it's likely an independent SEO company

fyi this is the google equivalent of the robocallers who claim to be from microsoft and want you to install VNC to let them fix your viruses or whatever

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
this new google keyboard is EPIC

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Smythe posted:

this new google keyboard is EPIC

you want it all, but you can't have it

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
this was me

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
the Google keyboard on iOS is even better than the Android version lmao. it has every new feature plus search and GIF insert built in

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

the Google keyboard on iOS is even better than the Android version lmao. it has every new feature plus search and GIF insert built in
no that sounds like it would be worse

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
nah it's really good

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
mommas dont let your boys grow up to be cj's

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

This is cool but this statement is pretty funny in a sad way "In the U.S., we are also banning ads for loans with an APR of 36% or higher. When reviewing our policies, research has shown that these loans can result in unaffordable payment and high default rates for users"

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

its epic and i didnt know about the spacebar cursor thing until now

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

did you know they were making you obsolete or did you find out from the intro?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

duTrieux. posted:

so basically, if a google car ever goes into a crowd of people, it will capture the first soft humans it finds in order to use as meat-shields to protect itself from subsequent impacts.

lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i think it's more like

panel 1: well everyone we did it, we made hangouts. now, for our next feature, we should add a--- everyone? guys?

panel 2: *the hangout engineers are chasing around a shopping bag blowing in the wind*

panel 3: *guy in GTalk shirt approaches* "now you know how i feel!"

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i was annoyed at first but lol if you think the whatsapp and hangouts experiences are compatible

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the worst one is Line

i wanna love it because it's japanese and we all like quirky japanese things

but here's what it made me realize. you know how japanese video games seem to have really bad interfaces? like you have to go through a lot of tedious menus and confirm every action multiple times? i've often wondered if they were this way as some intentional design choice, like it's saying, this is life, it's complicated. or they're trying to make you suffer as if it's a challenge like the game itself.

no, they are just really bad at making interfaces over there. and they make really lovely engineering choices a lot, which also translate into interfaces with lots of loading and stuff. maybe it's because they're spoiled over there with fast internet so they don't care about optimizing certain things. but yeah it's bad in any case.

like you can't be signed into line on two devices. if you sign in on another device, it signs you out on the other device and deletes your chat history on both. or that drat nintendo mobile game Miitomo. opening it causes a waiting... loading... cycle, opening most menus does too, or doing any action at all. all with modals instead of more subtle features.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

the worst one is Line

i wanna love it because it's japanese and we all like quirky japanese things
guess again, kevin

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
have none of you assholes seen The Internship where the climax of the movie is vince vaughn showing a local mom and pop restaurant how they can improve their customer engagements with Google AdWords

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ahmeni posted:

have none of you assholes seen The Internship where the climax of the movie is vince vaughn showing a local mom and pop restaurant how they can improve their customer engagements with Google AdWords
no. why would anyone watch that.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
for some reason it seems like many japanese engineers and anime creators are bad at understanding how humans actually do things or act or speak

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

ahmeni posted:

i saw it and it was mostly your standard Owen Wilson silly comedy, but the overt Google branding everywhere was crazy. it was like a big commercial much of the time.

atomicthumbs posted:

for some reason it seems like many japanese engineers and anime creators are bad at understanding how humans actually do things or act or speak

well, this is a country that had world renowned cell phones in the 90's. they had mobile television, NFC-esque payments and actually use QR codes on the regular. they were really good at rolling these things out. maybe because the main corporations in Japan were technology companies who love change and the biggest ones in America were oil companies who hate change. when Steven P. Jobs made the iPhone few thought it would do well there, but it's huge. so the technology companies are playing catch-up in the usability department. naturally they would get a lot wrong the first few tries.

i think there's a similar story with video games. Japan made a lot of classic arcade games. then came the switch to home console and a lot of their games were arcade ports. then the console games they did make seemed very arcade like. Shenmue was an attempt by a team of mostly arcade game developers to make essential a massive open world game where you could do anything. it was a neat game, but nearly bankrupted the company, and had bizarre quirks, like use of the D-pad for movement in a 3D game.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PleasureKevin posted:

i think it's more like

panel 1: well everyone we did it, we made hangouts. now, for our next feature, we should add a--- everyone? guys?

panel 2: *the hangout engineers are chasing around a shopping bag blowing in the wind*

panel 3: *guy in GTalk shirt approaches* "now you know how i feel!"

panel 4: wave engineers corpse rots in a field by itself

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if i want to watch a movie-length commercial i'll watch the wizard starring fred savage thank you very much

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

you have to know poo poo to fight poo poo
same reason I read your posts

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ahmeni posted:

you have to know poo poo to fight poo poo
same reason I read your posts

What are you fighting lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I'm engaged in an epic war against the mindless schlock that is polluting our culture!! The goon types as he stands in line for marvels civil war part iii

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

anthonypants posted:

should i post that onion review?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

nah i think we're good

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i still get bizarre alignment bugs in the main chat view all the time its hilarious

whoops just accidentally voicecalled someone for the 40th time because i breathed on my phone wrong

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

google chatsforsure

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

already shut down

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
arcade games were good because they had to be enjoyable to play but they also had to difficult enough to keep the quarters flowing so you didn't get dumb press x to win poo poo (later evolving into press x every five minutes a million times or pay $50 to win)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr Dog posted:

arcade games were good because they had to be enjoyable to play but they also had to difficult enough to keep the quarters flowing so you didn't get dumb press x to win poo poo (later evolving into press x every five minutes a million times or pay $50 to win)

they didn't actually have to be enjoyable to play, and being super difficult just to get quarters is only a benefit for arcade owners and masochists

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fishmech posted:

and being super difficult just to get quarters is only a benefit for arcade owners

aka the people actually paying you money to buy your game machines

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
alien vs predator arcade game was the best one cause even if u blew a load of quarters on it it didn't feel like it was cheating you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jabor posted:

aka the people actually paying you money to buy your game machines

it's not my job to care about their stupid business model. that's why its good arcades died

• Locked thread