Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Playing on ps4, the other two dlcs show up and say "installed". Far harbor shows up but doesn't say installed under its icon in the addons menu. Is there something I'm supposed to do to activate it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Where do I store my loot in Far Harbor?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I assume I'm safe skipping the previous two DLC if I don't care about building poo poo?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I like that they added a 100 strength generator and a powered water pump that doesn't need to be in water.

Land based settlements that depended on 20 hand cranked pumps became silly.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If you can get it on sale, get the first one. There's a nice dungeon(just not $10 nice) and making robot companions is decently fun. Second one is utterly skippable.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If you can get it on sale, get the first one. There's a nice dungeon(just not $10 nice) and making robot companions is decently fun. Second one is utterly skippable.

From what I hear of Far Harbor and the eventual Nuka World pack, would it be safe to say that the Season Pass is mostly skippable? If not recommended on some good discount?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Zephyrine posted:

I try to make use of the cars. Blowing them up near the deathclaw to hurt it. But it barely works on Survival because he will leap past them and if he reaches melee range the game cuts straight to the death animation.

I do wish they could have added a mattress or something in the room before the power armour.

Yeah. I find the easiest way to kill it is to run through the raiders to trigger it coming up, then bail out of there back to the front of the museum. They'll fight amongst themselves for a bit which usually takes care of the raiders and knocks a decent chunk of health off the deathclaw. Then try to get its attention, position yourself facing down the main street and open fire into its legs as it charges you, trying to catch it in car explosions. You're also in a position where Preston can provide a bit of support fire here. IIRC there's a church nearby too, which you can get to quickly in order to hide if it's obvious that it's going to reach you before keeling over.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm liking it so far. And I'm still finding new locations in the base game I never found before.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

widespread posted:

From what I hear of Far Harbor and the eventual Nuka World pack, would it be safe to say that the Season Pass is mostly skippable? If not recommended on some good discount?
The season pass was a way better deal before they raised the price. Personally I don't think any of the DLC so far are worth paying full price for.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

mystic pimp posted:

The season pass was a way better deal before they raised the price. Personally I don't think any of the DLC so far are worth paying full price for.

Far Harbor downloading right now so I don't know if it's any good, but more weapons / levels / quests / people to shoot at can't be a bad thing.

I got the base game + season pass for 60$ early on, and I must say it's the first time I'm actually glad I preordered because at that price it's fairly good value even if it's not my favourite game and didn't even finish the main quest (I don't know why but I still like Skyrim better. That might change once the big quest/overhaul mods start coming out though.)

But right now? Definitely wait for a discounted Legendary edition down the line I'd say...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Azhais posted:

^^^ just hide in the store in front of the museum and he can't hit you. Or just run outside before getting the armor and save if it's a big problem.

DLC adds some new settlement buildings (barn was the main thing I noticed). A few new ranks to perks (third rank of action boy for 75% regeneration, another lone wanderer rank for +25 ap when solo, strong back has a new reduce ap when running encumbered level, that sort of thing). Only played a few minutes with it so I don't know what else.

Also new face paints, and bad hairstyles. Both modeled on the the followers of the atom.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Zephyrine posted:

I try to make use of the cars. Blowing them up near the deathclaw to hurt it. But it barely works on Survival because he will leap past them and if he reaches melee range the game cuts straight to the death animation.

I do wish they could have added a mattress or something in the room before the power armour.

There's really no need to die from the deathclaw. You just trigger him to come out of the ground, then hide in the building near preston and shoot out the windows at him, being ready to run up the stairs if he pops through the door into the room with you.

As someone else said, don't kill the raiders. Let them fight it out with the deathclaw to distract him and lower his health.

Also, there is a sleeping bag or mattress, I forget which, in one of the houses in concord. When facing the museum, turn left and it's down at the end of the road on the right, in a building on the 2nd floor. You would need to exit the museum before talking to the minutemen to sleep there, though, because once you've talked to them, exiting will of course spawn all the raiders.

Orange Sunshine fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 19, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Orange Sunshine posted:

Also, there is a sleeping bag or mattress, I forget which, in one of the houses in concord.

Both, I think. First house you hit coming from the red rocket has a mattress upstairs. The house with the raider corpse with the sniper rifle down the street from the museum has a sleeping bag.

So, since installing Far Harbour I've noticed that I'm not getting the upper left corner notifications anymore. Anyone know if that's intentional, a bug, a new feature of survival, xor a mod conflict? I'm referring to the little things like "You are properly hydrated" not showing up.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I am totally into this survival thing now. It took me 30 minutes to get through the super duper mart and my heart was beating like a drum all the way through.

When I left I went north in hopes of finding a store to buy supplies. I came on a super mutant patrol with a captured settler. I had to let them pass because I couldn't quick save and make 10 attempts at killing them. Attacking them now would lose me all progress in the duper mart if I died.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Beth person on gaf:

quote:

During the beta period, we definitely noted places where the frame rate was dropping and we put in fixes for the full release.

We will continue to monitor feedback.

Uh huh.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Well, just imagine how much worse it used to be :v:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I arrived at Trudys store with the intent to convince everyone to resolve things peacefully.

Trudy pulled a gun on me and I had to shot her. Codsworth then pushed her son into a corner and dismembered him with a freaking circular saw. And there's no save to load to fix things.

Survival is hardcore :suspense:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zephyrine posted:

I'm not sure if it's correct but I find not holding down the minigun to be much more effective at range, if you fire in bursts it seems more accurate and he likes to pretend he's neo and ineffectually dodge left and right, it can take about a minute for him to get down the street if you keep bursting at him with the minigun and you can take off a lot of his health, and this was on old survival too, new survival makes him a lot less spongy.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Zephyrine posted:

I arrived at Trudys store with the intent to convince everyone to resolve things peacefully.

Trudy pulled a gun on me and I had to shot her. Codsworth then pushed her son into a corner and dismembered him with a freaking circular saw. And there's no save to load to fix things.

Survival is hardcore :suspense:

Survival was the first time I had to kill Wolfgang, which isn't a huge loss. It was kind of refreshing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can talk to them? I always shot the guy, figured he was just a bellend nobody so I shot him without thinking.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

QuantaStarFire posted:

Not to my knowledge, no. There's never any real explanation for any of the poo poo that they've done. I think the sole exception is there's a holotape in Father's quarters or the boardroom that details how they maybe felt a bit bad about the Broken Mask incident... but only because the synth was sent without authorization rather than there being genuine guilt that it killed a bunch of people.

To be honest, everything surrounding the Institute is handled poorly. Their big evil plan is...they want to power up a reactor so they can keep working. That's it, that's their master plan. There's never any real exploration of the Institute's actions and the effect they actually have on the people of the Commonwealth, you're just told "The Institute is bad and must be destroyed by any means necessary." And, I mean, the fix to the Institute as the Commonwealth boogeyman is simple: "Stop synths from randomly murdering, kidnapping, and replacing people and work with the people of the Commonwealth" but I guess their response to that the first time was to just gun down the representatives of every major settlement because reasons.

Of course, there's the whole issue of creating an army of slaves and not recognizing their sapience and all that as well, but I'd chock that up to Bethesda's lovely handling of the subject rather than Father and his goons being actually malicious. A better writing team would have realized that you could probably have convinced enough of the Institute's leadership that, yeah, synths are people and deserve freedom based on evidence that is already present in the game (like the synth detective that you can recruit, or the fact that the synths themselves end up plotting a rebellion themselves of their own volition if you go down the Railroad questline) and prompt a takeover of the Institute rather than killing everyone, but alas.

God, the plot of this game is bad.

I understood none of it really, nothing the institute does making any sense has been covered numerous times in this thread ("nick valentine cannot be mistaken for a robot and has been accepted into a society but we need to keep murdering people and replacing them with synths, because") but the railroad annoy me too, they're painted as the mortal enemies of the institute (even more than the brotherhood i think it's fair to say) and they think that synths should be treated like ~~real people~~ but they condone totally wiping their minds and implanting brand new ones, essentially killing them, going by their own philosophy. Why not just make the railroad enemies of the institute because they are murdering/abducting people, what's the point of their hard-on for synths?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Liu posted:

I understood none of it really, nothing the institute does making any sense has been covered numerous times in this thread ("nick valentine cannot be mistaken for a robot and has been accepted into a society but we need to keep murdering people and replacing them with synths, because") but the railroad annoy me too, they're painted as the mortal enemies of the institute (even more than the brotherhood i think it's fair to say) and they think that synths should be treated like ~~real people~~ but they condone totally wiping their minds and implanting brand new ones, essentially killing them, going by their own philosophy. Why not just make the railroad enemies of the institute because they are murdering/abducting people, what's the point of their hard-on for synths?

Because they're based on the real-life Underground Railroad that lead slaves in America to freedom. That's why they love Synths, design-wise.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I finished the main storyline for the first time this past weekend and did the Institute path, and I honestly have no loving idea what happened or why. It made literally zero sense.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Liu posted:

they think that synths should be treated like ~~real people~~ but they condone totally wiping their minds and implanting brand new ones, essentially killing them, going by their own philosophy. Why not just make the railroad enemies of the institute because they are murdering/abducting people, what's the point of their hard-on for synths?

To play devil's advocate, those synths undergo the mind-wipe voluntarily. There's at least one who chose not to get mind-wiped, and everyone's okay with that.

That said, every problem with the story and/or characters can be chalked up to lovely bethesda writing. It would be awesome if we found out that Glory didn't actually choose to remain herself, but was instead forcibly mind-wiped and given a fake memory of choosing not to undergo the procedure. But that would be original and interesting and well... :bethesda:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

You can talk to them? I always shot the guy, figured he was just a bellend nobody so I shot him without thinking.

You can side with either group or talk them both down. I usually just casually toss a grenade at wolfgang on the way through

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

The Midniter posted:

I finished the main storyline for the first time this past weekend and did the Institute path, and I honestly have no loving idea what happened or why. It made literally zero sense.

Well what's there to make sense of anyway. You inject malware into Liberty Prime and make it kill the Prydwen because the Brotherhood are nazis and want to hinder the institute's progress that they should have already had and and and and

... you're right, this plot is loving bad writing.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

The "optimal" solution is to talk to them. Then she will be a junk vendor inside the building and he will be a chem vendor outside of it.

Wolfgang is a pretty alright guy who laments having to hurt people.

Also I just lost half an hour of progress because Piper can't sneak worth a drat.

I was planning to have a companion to make survival easier but you can't just gun your way through central Boston. I would sneak past some super mutants and then when she passed they would hear her. A dog would come running and she would start a gun fight while I was still undetected.

This happened three times in a 15 minute period, mutants, raiders, gunners. Every single time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Another shortcoming of FO4's perk system is that we can now only get lame-o upgrades to pre-existing perks in DLCs, instead of new ones.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

Another shortcoming of FO4's perk system is that we can now only get lame-o upgrades to pre-existing perks in DLCs, instead of new ones.

They could've come up with a system where you press a button to access an alternate perk at that level of that stat or whatever, it wouldn't be impossible to be able to scroll through little pipboy cartoons on the poster screen.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

The "optimal" solution is to talk to them. Then she will be a junk vendor inside the building and he will be a chem vendor outside of it.

Wolfgang is a pretty alright guy who laments having to hurt people.

Also I just lost half an hour of progress because Piper can't sneak worth a drat.

I was planning to have a companion to make survival easier but you can't just gun your way through central Boston. I would sneak past some super mutants and then when she passed they would hear her. A dog would come running and she would start a gun fight while I was still undetected.

This happened three times in a 15 minute period, mutants, raiders, gunners. Every single time.

If you're going to do companions on Survival, robots are strictly superior due to being able to carry way more stuff and being able to be upgraded to the point where they're shredding entire platoons by themselves with miniguns and cluster bomb launchers. The rest can barely carry around 5 pounds and tend to die a lot. Robots also don't share healing items with you, so you can carry a few Robot Repair kits around and hoard all the Stimpaks for yourself.

Loving this DLC so far. It's crashed 3 times now during the initial siege, and one of the Gulpers managed to one-shot kill me through geometry from the ground.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Sjonnar posted:

To play devil's advocate, those synths undergo the mind-wipe voluntarily. There's at least one who chose not to get mind-wiped, and everyone's okay with that.

That said, every problem with the story and/or characters can be chalked up to lovely bethesda writing. It would be awesome if we found out that Glory didn't actually choose to remain herself, but was instead forcibly mind-wiped and given a fake memory of choosing not to undergo the procedure. But that would be original and interesting and well... :bethesda:

That idea makes no sense because the purpose of the mind-wipe is to forget that you were a synth, thereby making it impossible for other people to figure it out without just killing you and digging out that synth component.

Mind-wiping somebody into thinking they didn't get the mind wipe is a lot of work to basically just leave them exactly the same as they were before.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

One of my pet peeves that I have had since FO3 is the overabundance of stimpacks. They're everywhere! Don't get me wrong, they've been a savior in survival mode... for selling, not necessarily using.

Is there a mod that makes them scarce? I'm thinking at about 10% of their current availability.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I've given up survival, the game is just too poorly balanced for it. I don't enjoy having to try and cheese Kellogg 30 times in order to kill the fucker, or any of the other forced encounters that gently caress you on survival.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Ran into a glitch in Far Harbor. It was after the section towards the beginning where you hide and listen in on a conversation. Not sure what happened, but my character is permanently invisible now.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

I've given up survival, the game is just too poorly balanced for it. I don't enjoy having to try and cheese Kellogg 30 times in order to kill the fucker, or any of the other forced encounters that gently caress you on survival.

Just use the Fat Man in the armory to blow Kellogg to hell? That's what it's there for.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

QuantaStarFire posted:

Just use the Fat Man in the armory to blow Kellogg to hell? That's what it's there for.

I did this too.

0. Store a critical (optional)
1. Enter room.
2. Once he's talking, go into menu.
3. TAKE ALL THE DRUGS
4. Equip Fat-man
5. Go into vats and nuke him in the head (make it a critical)
6. ???
7. Profit!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

shovelbum posted:

They could've come up with a system where you press a button to access an alternate perk at that level of that stat or whatever, it wouldn't be impossible to be able to scroll through little pipboy cartoons on the poster screen.

I think they missed the boat by not going with skyrim's tree leveling system. Stats are utterly meaningless when you can just put a point into them and there's no level cap. And then with stat bumping clothing everywhere.

Cut the bs and just go with a skill tree.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Jeez, Dalton Farm feels pretty huge. I had no idea where the two settlers that came free with it were until I realized there was an entire beach area I didn't know existed.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

ApathyGifted posted:

Mind-wiping somebody into thinking they didn't get the mind wipe is a lot of work to basically just leave them exactly the same as they were before.

Who's to say that's who she was before though? She calls herself the "poster child of a liberated synth" when she introduces herself to you; maybe the railroad needed just such a poster child for propaganda purposes, but no one was willing to volunteer, and since SOP is to mind-wipe them anyway...

Not that it matters, that's obviously not where they went with her character anyway. But it might have added a bit of moral ambiguity to the otherwise good-guy faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Paranoid Peanut posted:

I did this too.

0. Store a critical (optional)
1. Enter room.
2. Once he's talking, go into menu.
3. TAKE ALL THE DRUGS
4. Equip Fat-man
5. Go into vats and nuke him in the head (make it a critical)
6. ???
7. Profit!

I didn't even start talking to him. I just fired it into the room from the door. As many as are required.

• Locked thread