Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Coca Koala posted:

I want to play Sona support in 100% of games AMA

How do you feel about Leona?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Most of the supports feel pretty reliably strong. There are outliers but I don't really feel there's any 'what the gently caress are you doing?" supports in the current meta unless someone decides to try to revive Support Nunu or something.

Of course this runs into the problem of me being a support main who a loving S-rank on every single remotely viable support. I have a frigging S rank on support Veiger. What I am supposed to do Riot?! :smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Most of the supports feel pretty reliably strong. There are outliers but I don't really feel there's any 'what the gently caress are you doing?" supports in the current meta unless someone decides to try to revive Support Nunu or something.

Of course this runs into the problem of me being a support main who a loving S-rank on every single remotely viable support. I have a frigging S rank on support Veiger. What I am supposed to do Riot?! :smith:
support leblanc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

support leblanc

I'll die first.

... because I am terrible at LeBlanc.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Ignite Memories posted:

How do you feel about Leona?

Pool Party is obviously the best Leona skin and I get a little bummed whenever somebody plays leona but doesn't pick it.

Sona's Q outranges Leona's Zenith Blade, so you mostly need to be really careful to stay in the zone where you can harass her for free but she can't quite get you. Alternatively, you can try to bait out the Zenith at times when leona's ADC isn't in a good spot to follow up on it; if Leona jumps in poorly and doesn't get backup, you and your ADC can chunk her down pretty solidly and then you don't have to worry about another all-in for a little while. If you're able to get a health advantage early in lane, level 1 and level 2, you'll probably do fine; you just need to make sure that an all-in is as risky for her as it is for you. You don't really get any mistakes in this lane, so you have to watch the ranges and positioning pretty carefully.

Skillshots that go through minions always kinda bum me out, though; I can at least stay in the minion wave to protect me from Thresh or Blitz, Leona just has a circle around her that you don't want to be in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'll die first.

... because I am terrible at LeBlanc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI_H8GRy4_I

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Project Leona is also good but pool party is best.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Coca Koala posted:

Pool Party is obviously the best Leona skin and I get a little bummed whenever somebody plays leona but doesn't pick it.

Sona's Q outranges Leona's Zenith Blade, so you mostly need to be really careful to stay in the zone where you can harass her for free but she can't quite get you. Alternatively, you can try to bait out the Zenith at times when leona's ADC isn't in a good spot to follow up on it; if Leona jumps in poorly and doesn't get backup, you and your ADC can chunk her down pretty solidly and then you don't have to worry about another all-in for a little while. If you're able to get a health advantage early in lane, level 1 and level 2, you'll probably do fine; you just need to make sure that an all-in is as risky for her as it is for you. You don't really get any mistakes in this lane, so you have to watch the ranges and positioning pretty carefully.

Skillshots that go through minions always kinda bum me out, though; I can at least stay in the minion wave to protect me from Thresh or Blitz, Leona just has a circle around her that you don't want to be in.

yeah but im retarded

I haven't played against a Leona for a long time. it's just Lux and Blitzcrank here.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Andarel posted:

Project Leona is also good but pool party is best.

On the whole, I think the pool party skins are my favorite theme skins. There's just so many good ones. Lee Sin, Leona, and Rek'sai, and Graves all have amazing pool party skins.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Endorph posted:

yeah that was the first legitimately decently written bit of lore in league of legends's history

just rammus eating some dude's figurine and rolling off

Legit best lore change for Rammus. Especially since his old one was "I dunno he's a mutated actual armadillo I guess???"

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Personally, I want more project skins, more mecha / battlecast skins and more elderwood skins.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Actually the only decent lore in the game to date is Udyrs pre change backstory where he was a woods hobo who would jump out of bushes to scare people and was taught karate as a joke.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
who is the best player to learn from if you want to play support rammus?

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
If you know what you're doing you could probably support as any champion in the game.

Also, PP Leona is a great skin, but I'm disappointed in how scrawny she looks. Her arms should be jacked from carrying around that sword and board. But where's my Gravelord Leona where she carries around a coffin lid, Riot?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Actually the only decent lore in the game to date is Udyrs pre change backstory where he was a woods hobo who would jump out of bushes to scare people and was taught karate as a joke.

As with all League lore, I'm going to assume this is 100% true because there's a 0% chance of me looking it up or reading about it.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

lmao

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Tired Moritz posted:

The Intermediate AI.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The mystics of Ionia delve into the deepest mysteries of Valoran, pioneering the most inner depths of spirituality. Their adepts are some of the most devout proponents of enlightenment and harmony... but as is always the case, there are those who follow a very different path. Born in a grassy clearing under a red moon, Udyr has always been compelled by the primal drive within him. His will was not untempered, simply undomesticated. As a boy, he toiled on his father's farm, but he felt a much deeper connection with the mustangs that would graze in the distant fields than with the townsfolk who would visit. Oftentimes he was dragged into the house at night with a swat and a scolding when his parents would find him sleeping beneath the stars.

On the day of his sixteenth birthday, Udyr bade his family farewell and struck a path to the east, determined to shed the trappings of civilized society. Freed of the shackles of cultural expectations, Udyr tapped into a well of inner ferocity he hadn't known before. His feral senses roiled to the surface and he let them overcome him. It was at this point in his life that Udyr truly lost his humanity. Poachers and travelers who entered his territory did so at terrible risk, and rarely managed to leave it.

A monk on a long journey passed through his woods one day, and Udyr decided to scare him, leaping from a nearby brush. The monk casually turned and redirected Udyr to one side. Udyr, enraged, tried time and time again to best him, but the monk was unassailable. When Udyr was exhausted, the monk wordlessly beckoned him to follow, and together they walked in silence to the Hirana Monastery. The monks there took him in, and taught him to harness and control his animalistic fury... most of the time.

lol.wikia.com never forgets

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

The Missing Link posted:

If you know what you're doing you could probably support as any champion in the game.

Also, PP Leona is a great skin, but I'm disappointed in how scrawny she looks. Her arms should be jacked from carrying around that sword and board. But where's my Gravelord Leona where she carries around a coffin lid, Riot?

I don't trust you because you said I might be able to do jungle Taliyah and that was THE WORST IDEA

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

I played a ranked game where Sona mid beat Velkoz

anything is possible

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah and I won one where a tear rush udyr top beat darius. It's possible but I wouldn't recommend it

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Ristolaz posted:

Also known as humility

It's not humility when it is false, or excessive. The "aww schucks" thing gets old.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Tear Rush udyr is great... Darius can't deal with that pushing power. Little tip for you.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Man, what is with all the Shaco players recently? I ran into three yesterday and it is just awful. I have yet to see one win a game, despite getting like 20 kills. It's like a worse version of Rengar.

SlyFrog posted:

It's not humility when it is false, or excessive. The "aww schucks" thing gets old.

Note, all self depreciating posts must now contain context so that posts stay fresh.

Example: I, owner of the League of Legends NA account DHSWC, am currently Gold III and am in the top 15% of ranked League of Legends players on the server. By many measures, I am considered pretty good at the game. That being said, I respectfully and humbly submit for the thread's consideration, that I am actually Bad At Videogames. Thank you.

KicksYouInHalf fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 19, 2016

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

LegalPad posted:

First admitting your are bad is the only way to avoid a tidal wave of "get gud" responses. It's like a disclaimer, "Hey, I know I have room to improve, and I'm open to critique."

The problem is not people who are bad admitting they are bad. I am bad. And I am objectively bad. Right now, I'm in Bronze II. OP.GG tells me I'm right at the bottom quartile.

The issue is that people who are in the top 1% or whatever of players going on about how terrible they are. It's simply objectively not true. Not as good as the few (on a relative scale) players who are better than you is different than the, "I'm utterly terrible at the game," poo poo that you get.

There's a difference between being a blowhard egoist and being a top ranked player acting as though you can barely chain a couple of skills together, but somehow beat 99% of people in the world.

Safety Scissors posted:

Dude, you get too angry at this game. I actually think you have a valid point, but why be so apprehensive about it? To rephrase your point. The last post I made I said I think once you make D2 you're can't call yourself a bad anymore, and then someone said well compared to how good you could be theoretically yes you can. Here's the problem. I've never heard somebody mention something that could theoretically happen, and then heard of that theoretical possibility actually being the outcome. You could put on a VOD of pretty much any top pro team this season, and there will be a moment where you're like "what the gently caress are these guys doing?" poo poo happens every game, but the discussion here doesn't seem to acknowledge this.

Fair enough. I was going more for edgy humor, but probably missed and just look on edge.

Verviticus posted:

a cool side effect of getting better at this game is the increased confidence as you rank up, and then having that confidence systematically smashed by the next tier of players. i figured people in diamond have probably gone through this process more times. really, they're just preparing you by making sure you're never confident or happy by reminding you of the terrible truth: everyone is bad

also, the community in this game is saturated with terrible players with an inflated perception of their ability. i think the self-flagellation is refreshing.

I agree with you regarding the opposite issue, of people with an inflated perception of their ability. I just disagree with the everyone is bad measure. By the same logic, Roger Federer missed some shots in his career, so he was bad.

He was not perfect. Even he could improve. It seems a healthier way to say and think about it, without having the odd pretense that being in the top 1% of something is "bad." Which frankly sounds ridiculously silly to people who are in the bottom half of the same thing.

Elentor posted:

It's not a "clever thing", and it's not on SA in particular. Literally every single good player I've personally met but one keeps that mindset, even those who make money off their image and need to show confident on cam/stream. There are dozens and dozens of exceptions but it seems like a really solid rule. You can be perfectly well aware that you're in a portion of the population that would be considered fantastic statistically and still recognize that you're relatively bad in the game when it comes down to the amount of things you need to master. As you expand your area of knowledge the edge of that area becomes bigger too, there are more things outside your skill range that you're aware. If you're Bronze or Silver then yes, it might seem ludicrous that someone who is Diamond thinks that he's bad and is only doing it as a humble brag. And that's exactly why you're not in Diamond.

Also if you feel comfortable/happy where you are in regards to your skill that's all that matters, and that's also something that every high ranked poster in this thread parrots constantly. Some people can't feel comfortable unless they feel they're good. I have a lot of fun playing Rocket League even though I'm in the bottom 15% of it, and I don't care about it. You don't have to feel bad because you can recognize you suck at a video game.

Again, I think the issue here is the use of "bad." Tiger Woods was notorious for constantly working on elements of his swing. Because he knew he had not perfected it. It is an element of deliberate practice, which Gladwell kind of mangled with his 10,000 hours thing (there is an interesting Freakonomics podcast on the subject).

But no one in the media was babbling about how "bad" Tiger Woods was, nor were they saying that the next 100 or 1,000 players were terrible sacks of poo poo at golf in the way people do with videogames. I agree, I doubt that few of the golfers thought that they had mastered the game or had nothing more to learn. But I also hear them talking about working on aspects of their games. Not saying, "Well, I didn't hit that chip shot, I'm terrible at chipping."

It's the word choice and excessive emphasis on it that makes it sound silly.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 19, 2016

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Libertine posted:

As with all League lore, I'm going to assume this is 100% true because there's a 0% chance of me looking it up or reading about it.

It's true, all of it...

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'm reasonably good at this game (or was when I played on a regular basis) but the last time I picked lee sin in ranked I was accused of being drunk, due to the quality of my play. Now, I am a known and committed enemy of all toxics but in this case, I can't argue.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

In other news, I am slipping in my effort to get back to Silver by playing the same extremely simple champions over and over. I have 8 wins and 1 loss with Nunu jungle, but for some reason played Ekko jungle this morning, because I want to dash around and say, "Look out!". The worst thing that actually could have happened was me winning, because my little pea brain will now conflate that with the idea that I can successfully play Ekko jungle long term.

This will be followed by going 2-8 with Ekko jungle, and being in Bronze IV.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 19, 2016

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

apparently they overshot on the swain fixes since he went from like 35% winrate to 60%

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

guess ill have to take time out of my busy overwatch schedule to play some swain next week

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

apparently they overshot on the swain fixes since he went from like 35% winrate to 60%

Which sites show the early data on matchmaking?

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Tired Moritz posted:

Idk but you can play support rammus while I play bot lane pantheon. Or gangplank

Sunmoner ID: Rlazz

Also anyone else add me if you wanna do stupid poo poo and/or "serious" bronze level games

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Man, what is with all the Shaco players recently? I ran into three yesterday and it is just awful. I have yet to see one win a game, despite getting like 20 kills. It's like a worse version of Rengar.

Most non-main Shaco players end up starting well because it's ridiculously easy to gank but fall off a cliff when actual decisions have to be made. You can faceroll on him early but once people are grouping you need a good game plan because he can't just brute force fights anymore.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Which sites show the early data on matchmaking?
op.gg has same-day stats, the sample size isn't huge for swain yet but it's still 3,000 games

taliyah has a 34% winrate so far in 15,000 games which is a lot worse than most new champs start (iirc aurelion sol started at 47%) so she's probably on the fast track for buffs next patch unless she's got an azir-level learning curve

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

yeah but im retarded

I haven't played against a Leona for a long time. it's just Lux and Blitzcrank here.

don't worry sona is perfect for stupid people because there's really only like three things you have to worry about : what is your positioning like, what is your opponent's positioning like, what powerchord do I want to use.

Skillshots? gently caress that. Enemy buried in minions? Your Q don't give a poo poo.

Sona is perfect for people who want to just chill out and press buttons and probably win games and that is why I like her.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yeah, usually having someone on your team with 30 kills should be a good thing but an even distribution of gold is much more impactful so you don't have a single point of failure in any fight. when it comes to junglers as well unless they were focusing on objectives while they were snowballing eventually they just run out of steam.

and yeah tailyah is probably pretty weak from what i've seen. the only one i saw go off was laning against a tf and got an early kill when voli ganked her (she got the fb on tf, voli got the kill.) returning to lane with revolver against tf and being able to pop an immobile hero towards her basically meant she could farm the tf.

Radical fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 19, 2016

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Tales of Woe posted:

op.gg has same-day stats, the sample size isn't huge for swain yet but it's still 3,000 games

taliyah has a 34% winrate so far in 15,000 games which is a lot worse than most new champs start (iirc aurelion sol started at 47%) so she's probably on the fast track for buffs next patch unless she's got an azir-level learning curve

From what I've seen, she has little room for error in her combos because the scaling on her abilities is poor and she has a utility passive and ult. She can absolutely burst someone 100-0 but it's reliant on getting max damage out of her E-W combo and following that up by a Q on unworked ground.

She will probably end up getting mana buffs and probably like .1-.2 ap scaling on W in the next couple patches.

RYang
Dec 5, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

That's huge enough as far as statistics is concerned. Even if Swain's true winrate were "only" 58%, the probability of winning 60% of 3000 games would still be only about 1%. Even if you factor in a bit of extra wiggle room from multiple testing, it's still enough to safely say that Swain is op as heck.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Safety Scissors posted:

Not to be all :tinfoil:, but I think everyone has champions that are cursed.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have literally never seen a Lux in one of my games that was a nice person. I had one today that raged out claiming I stole a kill from them in a bot game.

A bot game, for christ's sake.

Like, literally trolled the rest of the game while talking poo poo. Because of one "stolen" kill.

In a bot game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the funny thing about swain is op.gg lists winrates by skill order and Q > E > W priority was already above 50% from the old data. a combination of bugs and skill builds made him pretty bad last patch. his numbers were almost certainly a bit low but they maybe went a bit far.

• Locked thread