Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Dias posted:

Oh my god, I cannot believe Hato turned HEEL!

For real, tho, it seems like Hato is aware of her Stand and its powers, unlike Joshuu.

It seemed like that to me, too.

Yinlock posted:

something I find interesting is how much Damo is losing his poo poo when it comes to Josuke. Like, he really cannot understand Josuke's existence(he keeps trying to figure out "which one" Josuke is, switching names and such when Josuke's just his own dude) and it's pissing him off.

also Hato not saying a word is more devastating than any insult could be. Girl doesn't gently caress around, which is a sharp contrast to Damo who only fucks around. To a productive extent admittedly but still.

Damo doesn't really seem as in-the-loop as he thinks he is.

It's really interesting to me that Damo's not in the loop. I think Damo's losing it this much because he didn't get to be where he is - which is likely #2 or #3 on the Big Boys List - by being clueless. He was tormented for months before he caught onto Kira/Josefumi because a tiny little detail escaped his grasp and now that there are whole things he's not in the loop on, ooh boy.

Anyway, I didn't think it would be possible for Vitamin C to make me more ill than it already did but the loving fish thing was unendurable. MAN that's some amazing body horror.

Also, I'm guessing we really don't get anything else on the merging bodies, which is probably fine (though I really wish we had just a tiny bit more). At some point it's probably better for Araki to just leave a lot of stuff unexplained rather than try and dig out of any holes he's created for himself.

Amaryllis, I was wondering about the mark on his hand, too. That's something that I suspect is just gonna be straight-up ditched because it implies that Norisuke knows more than he clearly does, unless he gets healed in a few chapters and says "okay here's what I wasn't going to say when it seemed like I spilling everything to Damo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Amaryllis, I was wondering about the mark on his hand, too. That's something that I suspect is just gonna be straight-up ditched because it implies that Norisuke knows more than he clearly does, unless he gets healed in a few chapters and says "okay here's what I wasn't going to say when it seemed like I spilling everything to Damo."
Yeah, that particular point is so weird and inexplicable at this point in the story that it feels like it's going to be dropped, even though it seemed super-important to those early chapters. Then again, Norisuke was also super-shifty earlier on, especially in the California King Bed chapters, when he thinks about using and killing Gappy. It wouldn't surprise me if he did know more than he lets on with Damo, but has come around to Gappy after their shared experiences and so hesitates to sell him out until it's a matter of his children's lives. Everyone who survives is going to have to sit down for an awkward family conversation after this.

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 19, 2016

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Is there a name for the art style in Boingo's book?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

eatenmyeyes posted:

Klasky Csupo

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012

eatenmyeyes posted:

Sweet Oingo And Hella Boingo

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's like Jolyne is back! :allears:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The thread title ended up being pretty apropos, huh?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Well, since you heal if you get outside Vitamin C's range, it looks like Joshuu will be fine after all :smith:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Goddrat does Araki manage to keep Vitamin C intense. :stare:

Xad posted:

Well, since you heal if you get outside Vitamin C's range, it looks like Joshuu will be fine after all :smith:

I'm worried about Josuke and Norisuke though now that he's had his liver cut out and his arm cut out along with having fish flop around inside of him, respectively. :ohdear:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not surprising Damo can't figure out what the gently caress is going on with Josuke. He micro manages Rokakaka growth to a tee. This Roka is a hosed up mutant one. It works differently.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Amaryllis posted:

Yeah, that particular point is so weird and inexplicable at this point in the story that it feels like it's going to be dropped, even though it seemed super-important to those early chapters. Then again, Norisuke was also super-shifty earlier on, especially in the California King Bed chapters, when he thinks about using and killing Gappy. It wouldn't surprise me if he did know more than he lets on with Damo, but has come around to Gappy after their shared experiences and so hesitates to sell him out until it's a matter of his children's lives. Everyone who survives is going to have to sit down for an awkward family conversation after this.

i'm 100% certain that norisuke was really wary at first because having a naked dude fused together from a dead guy and a mostly dead guy pop up outside your backyard is shady as gently caress, but once he got to know gappy more he lightened up some once he realized that gappy wasn't out to harm his family. i'm sure there's some shady dealings going on with the family, for sure, but i can see why norisuke was wigged out at first.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Weren't the rock people being shipped to the higashikata fruit company or something?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also hato 100% has had her stand for some time and knows how to use it. joshuu is a weird little freak and just happened to get his stand last, but hato didn't magically develop one right there and then and somehow know how to use it effectively from the get-go.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm worried about Josuke and Norisuke though now that he's had his liver cut out and his arm cut out along with having fish flop around inside of him, respectively. :ohdear:

now that we know that getting out of range = safe, Joshuu might well be okay and Joshuu can probably adapt his ability to put them back together again if he had to. Norisuke might not make it a lot longer but he'll at least make it a little while longer, I think.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

now that we know that getting out of range = safe, Joshuu might well be okay and Joshuu can probably adapt his ability to put them back together again if he had to. Norisuke might not make it a lot longer but he'll at least make it a little while longer, I think.

Joshuu is probably just fine, down in the sewer where he belongs.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Begemot posted:

Rat King Cole

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's not surprising Damo can't figure out what the gently caress is going on with Josuke. He micro manages Rokakaka growth to a tee. This Roka is a hosed up mutant one. It works differently.

It might be that it works the same, but an Exchange of this magnitude is unheard of. It's usually hosed-up monkey's paw stuff, not a total body merge.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Can Of Worms posted:

Rat King Cole

Joshuu did drain mixed with his Stand, so he's either totally fine or a hosed-up standman that Josuke will have a really cool fight with.

It's sadly option 1 and we all know it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yinlock posted:

It might be that it works the same, but an Exchange of this magnitude is unheard of. It's usually hosed-up monkey's paw stuff, not a total body merge.

i think it was heavily implied that the grafting + planting of the fruit in that weird spot has changed the fruit in some way to where it does things even the normal fruit didn't

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Begemot posted:

What if everything ends happily for everyone except no one ever hears from Joshuu again and no one even discusses this, like never again is the name uttered in the household and that's totally fine

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think it was heavily implied that the grafting + planting of the fruit in that weird spot has changed the fruit in some way to where it does things even the normal fruit didn't

Yup

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
On top of the mutant fruit the soil is probably also a factor since it's probably that what swapped Josefumi's rockening skin into Kira's corpse, so it's a mutation of what Damo knows plus a wholly different power he didn't know about.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Not sure how I feel about Joshuu being this Part's healer. It'll be interesting for sure "Hey, Joshuu, the rock people have removed my legs with their stand, i'm bleeding out here, care to bolt my legs back to my bleeding hips?" "hmmmm, do you got 100000 yen on you?"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Not sure how I feel about Joshuu being this Part's healer. It'll be interesting for sure "Hey, Joshuu, the rock people have removed my legs with their stand, i'm bleeding out here, care to bolt my legs back to my bleeding hips?" "hmmmm, do you got 100000 yen on you?"

That would be awesome

I do like how this chapter, at least to me, further solidifies that Josuke isn't either of the two halves with a bit of the other, he's just new. I want it to end with him being happy with the new him rather than chasing the old so it's good.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Oh my god, what is he going to do to those fish?

Oh my god, what are those fish doing to him?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

That would be awesome

I do like how this chapter, at least to me, further solidifies that Josuke isn't either of the two halves with a bit of the other, he's just new. I want it to end with him being happy with the new him rather than chasing the old so it's good.

Yeah, going along with that it's a little bit like he's trying to find out about his "parents" now, instead of who "he" is. Josuke doesn't really have a past, he was "born" when Josefumi and Kira fused.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Xad posted:

Yeah, going along with that it's a little bit like he's trying to find out about his "parents" now, instead of who "he" is. Josuke doesn't really have a past, he was "born" when Josefumi and Kira fused.

Finally, a truly loving couple fathers a Joestar.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Love Deluxe looks so creepy in the latest anime teaser. Seeing it in motion really adds something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Like, I think what we're really supposed to take away from the end of the last chapter (53) with how the clothes swapped around on the bodies, how Kira's corpse took Josefumi's shoes, kept its trousers and gave "Josuke" the hat even though it's a different hat is that the body they dug up from where they found Josuke isn't Kira Yoshikage, it's more of a clone of Josuke. The police identified him via autopsy as Kira Yoshikage and it's the easiest way to discuss the body but Josuke himself is a 95% certainty match for Kira on a DNA level and I would assume that once they go to Josefumi's home as he intended before Damo came around, they'll do a DNA test on Josuke against Josefumi and that will be a match as well.

So in essence, if you think about it this way, the corpse they found wasn't Kira Yoshikage, it was Josuke's twin brother. And that means we could have had two beautiful very great superb the best cool cooler coolesto JoJo brothers :(

e:
Courtesy of someone on /a/ a few days ago

I also made this if you were wondering the general situation and layout of the current fight. Note that there's no way of making this precise and the locations are only rational predictions. They're in the right place but Kyo might be kinda dead roughly somewhere else in that room.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 19, 2016

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm 100% certain that norisuke was really wary at first because having a naked dude fused together from a dead guy and a mostly dead guy pop up outside your backyard is shady as gently caress, but once he got to know gappy more he lightened up some once he realized that gappy wasn't out to harm his family. i'm sure there's some shady dealings going on with the family, for sure, but i can see why norisuke was wigged out at first.
Of course, but the early chapters of JJL also do a really good job of making Norisuke seem pretty shifty apart from the whole "dude with nothing to his name but an extra set of balls showed up buried in my yard" thing--stuff like his inner monologue during California King Bed, or his insistence that Gappy stay out of the study, or the repeated reminders that the mark on Kira's arm shows up on the railing and the SBR book in an area of the house that Norisuke doesn't want Gappy to investigate. This could all be a distraction from the fact that Jobin is the family member who's actually mixed up in the rock people's fruit trade, but there's a lot of early JJL content that doesn't make a ton of sense or seems irrelevant if Norisuke was just suspicious of Gappy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Hato is officially the best and I love her.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Norisuke's got an hidden agenda for sure though I think some of his earlier stuff are because he's not sure about Josuke's intentions and because he needs Kira, who he almost definitely recognised in Josuke immediately.

I believe it when he says he knows nothing about Josefumi but he absolutely knows Kira and I suspect we'll hear everything he knows about Kira after, he basically owes Josuke one now after he had to sell him out and he clearly sees that Josuke is interested in protecting the Higashikata family. He says around the Yagiyama fight that he needed Kira alive. Kira himself was probably working with Norisuke out of self interest while keeping Josefumi, Kyo and Holly secret. (He's not registered as their relatives). I imagine that this mark might be some sort of secret identifier of sorts, like a passcode for people to recognise each other and the picture of the corpses has the location of the mark hidden on Kira's corpse.

I think there's a mutual trust and distrust between Kira and Norisuke. Kira didn't trust Norisuke enough to let him go unobserved, as evidenced by Nijimura's infiltration and Norisuke had Kira's stuff underground and all info about him hidden away. Kira was a scary dude too, he was kind of unhinged.

Importantly, Kira recognises that the Higashikata family were both importing the rocks that turned out to be Aishou and "Fruit Trees" several times. Those are definitely Rokakaka. Norisuke says he doesn't know what the Rokakaka is after Yagiyama dies (ch.33) but he confesses in Chapter 54, after denying it in 51 that he does know what the Rokakaka is and that it uses the equivalent exchange. (The Rokakaka + its tree has changed design since Ch.33 incidentally)

Jobin himself discusses with Aishou on the phone that he has a contract (42, 32) with them and Jobin appears to have influence over him(41, pg 35), and Aishou consistently met with Jobin to show him Rokakakas, and said Rokakaka were given to customers.

So after all this waffling, here's my guess at what the deal is with it all.

Norisuke is protecting Jobin because he knows he's working with the Rock Men. He may not know what Jobin is doing exactly but he trusts that Jobin is doing the right thing. He knows "who" Damo was but he didn't know Damo was that person. So basically, he knows that the Rock People had a ring leader. What I think Jobin is trying to do with the Rokakaka is possibly create a variant of the fruit that purely heals without equivalent exchange so that Tsurugi can be healed without Norisuke having to die for him and without losing something. Part of their contract is that Jobin uses his fruit growing expertise and ability to ensure the Rokakaka the Rock Men distribute are proper while working to make this Rokakaka variant with no drawbacks. I don't think Jobin is doing what he is for bad reasons and would feed Tsurugi something dangerous. There's nothing in the manga to suggest Jobin wants a variant at this point though.

Where Kira probably comes into play is that he confronted Norisuke at some point and told him about the things he knew and they worked together to learn more about the Rokakaka and Rock Men independently, Kira because he wants to know more and get the fruit (I don't think Holly was ill initially when he discovered all this), Norisuke wants to make sure Jobin will be safe working with them. It's very much clear that his family is #1 to him. The fact Kira is opposed to the rock men means that he may come into direct confrontation with Jobin so if Josuke were to follow in Kira's footsteps, as he is, he would choose Jobin over Kira/Josuke, as he chose Hato over him, and would not hesitate to kill him to save Jobin. Once Holly got ill, Kira may have gotten more volatile and insistent on acting which might have put Norisuke on further guard with him, hence the info in the computer, possible blackmail?

This is probably all fanwank poo poo though so w/e.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 19, 2016

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

This is probably all fanwank poo poo though so w/e.
Eh well, it's quality fanwank. Tsurugi cries enough about how Jobin's a good dad that I agree he's probably gotten mixed up in a bad business for good reasons (also, he's cool and I want to see him become a tentative ally). The only thing I'm not really on board with is the idea that the mark is an identifier: it seems weird for Norisuke to stamp his secret club sign everywhere (like in his house? what's the point of putting it on the railing? who else is involved, that he'd feel the need to stamp Kira?) if he doesn't completely trust Kira, doesn't want to do anything that would endanger Jobin, and wants to shield the rest of his family from rock people shenanigans. I do think that either we're due for an info-dump from Norisuke after Damo's gone that would explain what his relationship is with Kira apart from the family lineage, or most of that early stuff will just be swept under the rug along with Flashback Guy, the problem that Gappy seems to have pre-burial memories even though he's a brand-new dude and not Kira or Josefumi, and any sense of Kyo's relevance to the story. c'mon her stand is so cool why can't we see her do more ... at least we have hato now

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The thing about "Flashback Guy" is that if we're taking everything about this chapter as a matter of fact, and there's no reason to doubt Damo in this situation, it basically confirms that whoever he is and if he is someone who saw Josuke and reburied him for whatever reason, he is not allied to Damo or the people subservient to him.

Damo said that they couldn't find Josefumi at all. If Flashback Man found them and was allied to Damo and his boys, he'd have told them. If he didn't tell them, then he's out for himself so he's not fully on their side anyway.
I don't really think he'll be relevant and was probably a what you call it design for someone else.

I really want Kyo to be okay and tell Josuke about Kira.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

I too want Kyo to be okay. (I also want Joshuu to have a bad time when he gets far enough away from the house to re-form in the sewer. It'd be funny if he did end up being the healer character but bolts Gappy's liver back on in the shittiest, whiniest way possible.)

Damo said that they couldn't find Josefumi at all. If Flashback Man found them and was allied to Damo and his boys, he'd have told them. If he didn't tell them, then he's out for himself so he's not fully on their side anyway.
I don't really think he'll be relevant and was probably a what you call it design for someone else.
Yeah I was mostly joking about Flashback Guy: he looks like an early design for Damo or Jobin. (My favourite bullshit fan theory is that he's Yasuho's dad and the Big Bad of part 8, WTF.)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want to be Yasuho's daddy gnomesayn

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Flashback guy is probably an early design for Damo and he got reverse Valentined

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

hatty posted:

Flashback guy is probably an early design for Damo and he got reverse Valentined

I'd edge towards Yagiyama. He initially said that he was the one who crushed Josuke beneath a rock during their fight so Araki at least at some point earlier in the part that Yagiyama was the last man to see the original two alive. He has a similar build and hairstyle too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder if we'll finally meet our final boss after Hato's done shoving her heel up Damo's rear end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This chapter did make a point of showing that Damo has a phone on him. Very much conceivable that he'll at least whip it out to make a call to someone who is the big bad.

More JoJo pet peeves: People who make infographics about JoJo and then when they get to JoJolion, they'll describe Josuke as Jo2uke or Gappy and never actually mention his real name. It's fine enough if you're mentioning the nicknames used to differentiate him in English but don't forget to actually call him his real name. Calling him "Gappy Higashikata" exclusively is the dumbest thing.

Also people who say SBRverse character is the counterpart of X or Y despite having the most surface level similarities possible.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

"SBR equivalent" sort of made sense early into SBRs run since you had some characters who were pretty clearly analogous of pre-SBR characters and also poo poo like literally Stroheim and avdol running around, but that was also almost a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, it's so strange reading JJL and getting to the first ad for the Phantom Blood anime.