Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zurui posted:

"Boring chapters where nothing happens" are a staple of fantasy tomes. Writers love doing it because it's easy to write: if nothing happens and the plot doesn't move forward then you can just scrawl fluff for pages and pages. By the time I got to Storm of Swords I was just skimming over entire pieces of the book because it wasn't interesting at all. Plot-wise, there are two books' worth of story in the entire extant series. Someone should abridge the books and release them for show-watchers.

poo poo, apparently there's an entire Wheel of Time book where nothing of import happens. I don't know why it's specifically fantasy writers that get away with this.

my thing is how were they not bored to tears writing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Groovelord Neato posted:

my thing is how were they not bored to tears writing it.

Basically if you have this whole world in your head then writing interactions between characters or internal monologue or descriptions of scenery is interesting - to you.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Hard hitting journalism.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Lol

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MrSlam posted:

I think a lot of people here are getting a sense of relief from the show's rapidfire plots and all the trimming of background characters and sidequests. Like, GRRM was giving you blueballs in his basement all these years and D&D sneaks in and tickles your fat pink mast by giving Dany an unstoppable army who is definitely on track to actually doing something and will be back taking her posse out of Mereen within two episodes. I'm on a high from things actually happening. Yeah it's poo poo TV writing and it's going to be an unsatsifactory mess, but it's better than a Wildcard update.

This a million times. AFFC was Rothfuss-grade dull plodding bullshit and ADWD was literally "lol I still didn't finish and so here's some cliffhangers."

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

:master:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Although everyone is probably right about Dany sacking Slaver's Bay I still think it will go the way Tyrion planned. As has been mentioned, he is a very sympathetic character and the show/books often show his thoughtfulness being rewarded. We're seeing him working closely with the Sons of the Harpy informer, Varys, and Grey Worm and then risking his neck trying to make a bargain to end the violence. We saw Dany come in with one army and end up with an insurgency. Is the answer really going to be a bigger army? You can imagine the show writers trying to make a point here - an overwhelming force like America cannot subdue a city with force alone and needs a considered approach that appeals to self-interest and doesn't lead to economic collapse when the foundation of the society is suddenly overturned. Right now they have directly pitted two ways of ruling and I just don't think they are going to blast Tyrion's plan with a Dothraki horde. Instead of Tyrion being impressed by Dany I suspect that it will be Dany is who impressed with the strides Tyrion has made in her absence. When Dany leaves, Tyrion goes but maybe Varys stays behind with Grey Worm, et al.

Maybe it's just my impression of Dany but she is a too hard, inflexible, and overly idealistic ruler and I think she is going to have to have some softening.

The nice thing about the show is that we only have to wait a week or two instead of forever like the books.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
so back to book talk. I was thinking about the whole Jon parentage conspiracy and went back and read some chapters.

Is it possible that Rhaegar fell in love with Ashara at the tourney and fathered Dany with her. Dany is said to have the same colour eyes and reminds Selmy of her and Ashara gave birth to a stillborn child...

then Rhaegar did his thing with Lyanna fathering Jon Snow. Tower of Joy yada yada, Ned goes to Dorne with baby Jon to return Dawn. Tells Ashara about Rhaegar and Lyanna and she kills herself. Ned returns from Dorne with Jon, refuses to allow Robert to kill Dany when he is hand.

yay/nay?

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 19, 2016

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Zurui posted:

"Boring chapters where nothing happens" are a staple of fantasy tomes. Writers love doing it because it's easy to write: if nothing happens and the plot doesn't move forward then you can just scrawl fluff for pages and pages. By the time I got to Storm of Swords I was just skimming over entire pieces of the book because it wasn't interesting at all. Plot-wise, there are two books' worth of story in the entire extant series. Someone should abridge the books and release them for show-watchers.

poo poo, apparently there's an entire Wheel of Time book where nothing of import happens. I don't know why it's specifically fantasy writers that get away with this.

Try four books where nothing happens. GRRM is nothing compared to Jordan on this point.
On the other hand, Jordan had the good grace to die and let someone else finish the series.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Cardiac posted:

Try four books where nothing happens. GRRM is nothing compared to Jordan on this point.

Seriously. Imagine getting to the ninth book in a series and not being sure that anything had really happened since the middle of the fourth one.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Jordan had 6 or 7 good books before he started writing all that boring crap about Faile being kidnapped. I doubt he'd have managed to finish the series as quick and good as Sanderson did it for him, but he had a good series going.

Gurm has managed 1 good, 1 average and a bunch of lovely books. His lovely "kill everyone" gimmick lead him to a point where he can't even tell a drat story anymore. I mean it was interesting to kill Ned but after that it just got boring and predictable and started to hurt his story telling. Add all the resurrection bullshit on top of the deaths and it becomes worse than Harry Potter fanfic.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Tahirovic posted:

His lovely "kill everyone" gimmick lead him to a point where he can't even tell a drat story anymore. I mean it was interesting to kill Ned but after that it just got boring and predictable and started to hurt his story telling. Add all the resurrection bullshit on top of the deaths and it becomes worse than Harry Potter fanfic.

I see this mentioned and a lot and I'm not sure I agree. He's killed five POV characters? One of whom I'd argue wasn't even really deserving of a real POV spot (Oakheart). Like maybe compared to the average series that's a lot but it's not enough to scream 'gimmick' to me.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Let's be fair, those nerds were really just upset that Rey was a woman. Which is part of the problem with the modern use of Mary Sue; it's become shorthand for "I don't like this female character, most likely because I'm a colossal baby who can't enjoy fiction unless it's about a male, which I also am." Like, sure, she's a nobody from some backwater hellhole who goes on an adventure and triumphs over a powerful evil with hardly any training but I also literally just described Anakin and Luke's first adventures. Nerds got pissed because she's got a vag, not because of anything that goes on in the movie.

Much of the same group were also upset that Finn was an urban feral Dindu, too.

Luke's first adventure was successful because he only had to use the force in the most basic way - listen to his instincts of when to shoot. The problem I have with Rey is that she knows how to do all this stuff like Jedi-mind-control and everything. Maybe it will be explained in the next movie, but the girl who has all the powers having all the powers isn't that interesting to me. Her emotional story was pretty alright though.

Finn was great fun.

As for GRRM, Dany isn't really a Mary Sue, I don't think. Especially in books 4 and 5 where she starts royally screwing the pooch but even before then. No, Tyrion is close though, with his reality-bending ability to be good at combat in ways like "sticking the spike of my helmet up into this horse kills it and let's me kill this knight yes this makes sense and is good and cool" just like :laffo:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

IT BEGINS posted:

I see this mentioned and a lot and I'm not sure I agree. He's killed five POV characters? One of whom I'd argue wasn't even really deserving of a real POV spot (Oakheart). Like maybe compared to the average series that's a lot but it's not enough to scream 'gimmick' to me.

Seriously, GRRM doesn't really kill characters randomly. That's a dumb meme people keep repeating cause Ned and the Red Wedding were shocking, but every single death in the books (and there aren't that many) makes plot or character sense. Either that character's arc was over, or their death was extremely meaningful/opened up a lot of potential plot development. Robb is basically the only one whose plot felt like it was cut short, which is why the Red Wedding was so shocking and surprising.

GRRM wouldn't just kill Shireen. Or Stannis. Or Jaime. Or Jon. Whenever they die, it'll be because there's a good reason and it makes sense character or plot wise.

The show, however? At this point they're killing characters every single episode just to thin out the herd. I'll be amazed if they don't kill off a major character this season with no real plot or emotional reason behind it, purely for shock value.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Not sure what's so shocking about that.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

This is only shocking if you're not dead inside like we are.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
The twist is that the rope is very strong, and that he didn't die naked on the shitter with a pizza on his lap.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Joke's on us. Gurm will live till he is 90.
Or choke on his beard before christmas

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Daktari posted:

Joke's on us. Gurm will live till he is 90.

That gives him 23 years to finish The Winds of Winter.

Book never coming out confirmed.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Let's be fair, those nerds were really just upset that Rey was a woman. Which is part of the problem with the modern use of Mary Sue; it's become shorthand for "I don't like this female character, most likely because I'm a colossal baby who can't enjoy fiction unless it's about a male, which I also am." Like, sure, she's a nobody from some backwater hellhole who goes on an adventure and triumphs over a powerful evil with hardly any training but I also literally just described Anakin and Luke's first adventures. Nerds got pissed because she's got a vag, not because of anything that goes on in the movie.

I liked the girl jedi for her first couple of scenes, but once she started interacting with non robot characters she just became boring to me cuz every other non-extra character she interacted with was much more interesting and charismatic than her

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I think Tyrion will have a plan based on the assumption the masters will try and use him. He'll end up using one of the dragons to enact it and truly become Dany's second. Everyone always underestimates the imp.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

True. I didn't point that out because I've been wallowing in certain other bad threads in D&D (as well as occasionally following the antics of Gamergate and Sad Puppies). I'm at the point where I just take it for granted that angry nerds are full of vitriolic misogyny, unabashed racism, and redpill MRA-ism. :shobon:

Zurui posted:

They get away with it because everybody still slobbers over Tolkien's dead cock and is trying to emulate everything about Lord of the Rings, especially the bad parts. And it's easy to emulate the bad parts because, as you say, it's easy to write and you don't have to move the plot.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Beef Hardcheese posted:

True. I didn't point that out because I've been wallowing in certain other bad threads in D&D (as well as occasionally following the antics of Gamergate and Sad Puppies). I'm at the point where I just take it for granted that angry nerds are full of vitriolic misogyny, unabashed racism, and redpill MRA-ism. :shobon:

They get away with it because everybody still slobbers over Tolkien's dead cock and is trying to emulate everything about Lord of the Rings, especially the bad parts. And it's easy to emulate the bad parts because, as you say, it's easy to write and you don't have to move the plot.

They also get away with it because they are popular enough that the editors can't make them cut anything out anymore.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only death in GoT that surprises me is GRRMs lack of one.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

savinhill posted:

I liked the girl jedi for her first couple of scenes, but once she started interacting with non robot characters she just became boring to me cuz every other non-extra character she interacted with was much more interesting and charismatic than her

My problem with that movie, beside the fact that it was mostly a rehash of the first Star Wars, was that Kylo somehow got his rear end handed to him by a person who never had any formal Jedi or combat training, while he has supposedly trained under Luke and the new Sith lord.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

GaussianCopula posted:

My problem with that movie, beside the fact that it was mostly a rehash of the first Star Wars, was that Kylo somehow got his rear end handed to him by a person who never had any formal Jedi or combat training, while he has supposedly trained under Luke and the new Sith lord.

He had a bowcaster shot in the gut that entire fight and just killed his own dad a half hour ago, and Rey is an Anakin clone so she's got midichlorians bleeding out of her wherever.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
so what do you guys think about the new star wars

- no one

e: raaaawr I'm angry and it will take all the lemons in dorne to calm me

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I just started reading this series, starting with the first one, The Game of Thrones. I'm 40 pages in, and half that has been talking about who's gonna plow a thirteen year old girl.

I thought there was going to be dragons.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I liked the movie and I like Rey, but it is different. Luke did had quite a bit of training before being able to use the force and a lightsaber properly. And so did Anakin.

Rey starts using the force spontaneously like a master with no training at all, and then defeats Kylo, who did got a lot of training, the very first time she yields a lightsaber.

Heck, Finn is even worst. He is not even a force user and manages to put up a good fight with Kylo. Of course he is hurt, but he is supposed to be a powerful guy who singlehandedly murdered all other jedi students and all. Those two are way too powerful for what they really know

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Of course he is hurt, but he is supposed to be a powerful guy who singlehandedly murdered all other jedi students and all.

Nay, Rey's visionquest shows him and "the knights of Ren" together during what's supposedly their attack on Lukes school. The promos made a big deal out of "the knights of Ren" for some reason even though that's the only time they show up.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

boom boom boom posted:

I just started reading this series, starting with the first one, The Game of Thrones. I'm 40 pages in, and half that has been talking about who's gonna plow a thirteen year old girl.

That's in the last 40 pages of the series. Check back in five years when the novelization of the show is published.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

boom boom boom posted:

This post is so 16 years ago

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Nay, Rey's visionquest shows him and "the knights of Ren" together during what's supposedly their attack on Lukes school. The promos made a big deal out of "the knights of Ren" for some reason even though that's the only time they show up.

Good point, I had forgotten about it. Still, Kylo is supposed to be a trained and powerful force user, and Rey is someone who literally discovered that she could use the force 30 minutes ago and Finn is just a former stromtrooper

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Kylo Ren was a bitch and it's completely unsurprisng that he could be defeated by a plucky schoolgirl

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ZShakespeare posted:

Kylo Ren was a bitch and it's completely unsurprisng that he could be defeated by a plucky schoolgirl

Rey didn't go to school

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If Rey had run into Finn by literally running into him as she was hurrying to school with a piece of toast in her mouth, Force Awakens would be better than Empire Strikes back

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

boom boom boom posted:

Rey didn't go to school

Then why did he get taken to school? OOOHHH :boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

so what do you guys think about the new star wars

- no one

e: raaaawr I'm angry and it will take all the lemons in dorne to calm me

Have a cask of the finest Arbor gold.

Also yeah I think it's okay to be unimpressed by Rey's weird power having (which, again, might be explained in later movies) without hating everything about her or being labeled an MRA.