Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah I am not arguing about "Preserving life at all costs". Which is one really really weird Ameircan fixation. I don''t even think ti can be blamed on religion because there are plenty of religious countries where they don't have a peculiar obsession with keeping someone hooked up to a whole bunch of tubes just to prolong their lives for two months like we do. Also my Grandma has pretty bad dementia. Still would have not killed her.

Modern American religion is an extremely different beast from most other countries. In part it does have a bit of an 'every life is sacred' approach but it also in many regards ignores science for a perverse interpretation of the power of faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zoux posted:

I mean they aren't as left as Fox is right but they have transparency with respect to their angle/bias which is sets them apart in a journalistic environment dedicated to objectivity above everything.

Speaking of journalism
https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/733328182732951553

Everytime I see a smoker dying in their mid eighties it makes me question my decision to quit :mad:

drat didn't he just retire from 60 Minutes this past Sunday?

Crowsbeak posted:

Well why should the college be doling that out?

Dude 500 bucks for a movie showing is loving nothing. It's probably raised by a student club or a sliver of the student government budget. This is like complaining that there's an xbone in the student union lounge or that the university wastes money buying pens branded with the school name.

I'm really sick of the mentality that the non-rich just don't deserve nice things and everything needs to be defunded to bare-bones functionality.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

fishmech posted:

It is a good thing that schools that force students to live on campus are building dorms that are nice to live in, instead of the horrible 1950s/1960s jailhouse/barracks arrangement a lot of them used to have.

Hey now those lovely 1950s dorms helped build character with our dorm-mates! (nah it sucked royally being baked with no AC in mid-atlantic august weather)

Luckily my alma-matter tore those down and built really nice "modern" apartments...that are 4x more expensive!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Republican Chaplain Tries to Block Muslim Nominee From Office Because "Islam and Christianity Do Not Mix"

quote:

“Islam and Christianity do not mix,” Gordon said. “During my prayer, this man did not bow his head. During the pledge of allegiance, he did not utter a word. He didn’t even try to fake it and move his lips.”

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/texpat/status/733342467760742401

Time to get tough on crime.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

I cannot wait for Tom Cotton to run in 2020 and get destroyed.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

How'd you know he didn't bow his head unless you had your eyes open. :smug:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/733291738194907136

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There are thugs roaming these very streets!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I can't wait for him to go to jail for something stupid like embezzlement

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

He's right, more politicians need to be in jail

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Brainiac Five posted:

Okay, let's take DCD square-footage costs and double them, using the costs of detached housing. $400 bucks for a square foot. That's 1.5 million in square footage. That's 4 NASA Vehicle Assembly Buildings in terms of footprint, or 1.25 times the largest Amazon warehouse. Is this really a reasonable estimate?

I have no idea. However, I do know that a 300 person dorm can cost $29 Million (Texas Tech). Or that 250,000 feet of dorm costs $55 million (U Florida). $52M for 500 beds (Texas State) or $28M for 350-400 beds (Ferris State).

That doesn't include financing costs either.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Fine, the government can give you a reimbursement for legal fees in seeing a lawyer to get a will. That doesn't require counselling, which is just an excuse for you to try and force your morals on society.

Would you rather the people be encouraged to go out like Terri Schiavo?

I really want that poo poo head to the be the GOP nom in 2020.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I can't wait for him to go to jail for something stupid like embezzlement

That or a gay lover would be the only thing better.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The 2020 Republican Primary is going to be uncontested.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sensible Republicans.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

B B posted:

Precious

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That or a gay lover would be the only thing better.

Arn't their a whole host of allegations that he has some homosexual tendencies?

B B posted:

I could defnitley see rule changes made after this election that make even the most outrageous of Bernie bros claims about the dems and Hillary rigging primaries look plausible.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

if dudes anything like me it's been so long since saying it in school he forgot what the pledge is

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Tom cotton looks like a friend of mine from elementary school.

Not, like, what he looks like now, because my friend looks like a normal human, but if you took my friend, when he was in elementary school, and ran it through some free "what will you look like at 50" thing on a geocities website.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kro-Bar posted:

I guess Bill Kristol is running for president?

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/732599902908362756

Old but I feel obligated

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Tom Cotton might be the biggest and most blatantly empty-suited puppet in Congress and that's really saying something. Didn't he walk around DC asking lobbyists how to do his job as soon as he was elected?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

I have no idea. However, I do know that a 300 person dorm can cost $29 Million (Texas Tech). Or that 250,000 feet of dorm costs $55 million (U Florida). $52M for 500 beds (Texas State) or $28M for 350-400 beds (Ferris State).

That doesn't include financing costs either.

These are actually entirely in line with the costs I used as a hypothetical, dawg. Actually lower, because I presumed a $20 million dorm for 5,000 instead of $30 million for 15,000 like with Ferris State.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
E: Meant to post in Texas Pol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, poo poo.
https://twitter.com/danmericaCNN/status/733353620393988100

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The real question is, why didn't she stop it? I've heard a rumor a US SEAL team was going to save the plane until Clinton told them to stand down.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oh poo poo I guess Trump wins now. Wrap it up everyone.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Trabisnikof posted:

The real question is, why didn't she stop it? I've heard a rumor a US SEAL team was going to save the plane until Clinton told them to stand down.

13 HOURS 2: ISIS ON A PLANE

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Oh cool. Anyone claim responsibility yet?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

Oh poo poo I guess Trump wins now. Wrap it up everyone.

Or he takes his islamophobia so deep and so disgusting that it turns off voters :kiddo:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

There's an NYT op-doc today about the remaining samples of Variola. A bunch of you nitwits and I had an argument about two years ago about Variola samples. I'm still right and you're still full of poo poo. Here's the Errol Morris Op-Doc.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

zoux posted:

Or he takes his islamophobia so deep and so disgusting that it turns off voters :kiddo:

The terrorists will do their new 9/11 closer to the election. They want a President Trump to glass the ME and make them martyrs.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Children's Bodies Pulled From Wreckage. Will It Help Trump?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

:iceburn:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You fool now he can say you aren't qualified, based on the Rules of Campaigns!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Finding yourself and expanding your horizons are not paid services provided by the university

Why is this a given?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Watch the EgyptAir flight turn into a TWA 800 truther thing if it turns out to be a freak accident.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBZ2V9LMeDk

Yeah I know we know that ALEC is made up of sociopaths. But this is just maddening.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

should've said steady hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Crowsbeak posted:

Would you rather the people be encouraged to go out like Terri Schiavo?

I'd rather people not be encouraged either way, and make up their own drat minds about how they want to go out with out you or me trying to tell them what to do.

• Locked thread