Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fnox
May 19, 2013

So I bought my plane ticket today, I'm leaving at the 6th of July. $910 bucks, Caracas-Bogota-Madrid, wasn't cheap at all, plus the flight from Madrid to Copenhagen, then a train from Copenhagen to Kristianstad is $200 more on top of that. And then $1200 in advance for 4 months of rent. It takes nearly all my savings just to get there.

Now I'm trying to find a way to stay there, I urgently need a job that doesn't pay pennies or I'll have to return in a couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

fnox posted:

So I bought my plane ticket today, I'm leaving at the 6th of July. $910 bucks, Caracas-Bogota-Madrid, wasn't cheap at all, plus the flight from Madrid to Copenhagen, then a train from Copenhagen to Kristianstad is $200 more on top of that. And then $1200 in advance for 4 months of rent. It takes nearly all my savings just to get there.

Now I'm trying to find a way to stay there, I urgently need a job that doesn't pay pennies or I'll have to return in a couple of months.

Woah, why would you choose Norway out of the all other options around the world? Hostile weather, xenophobic culture, different language, etc. I'm sure you didn't just choose some city at random, but daaamn.

Either way, best of luck buddy.

Freezer fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 19, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I was once in Miami in November and I was freezing my balls off lmao, I could never live in a place like Canada or Northern Europe.

Anyway, good luck fnox.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Freezer posted:

Woah, why would you choose Norway out of the all other options around the world? Hostile weather, xenophobic culture, different language, etc. I'm sure you didn't just choose some city at random, but daaamn.

Either way, best of luck buddy.
According to wikipedia, Kristianstad is in Sweden, not Norway.

Seems like it'd be easier to get by with English in a bigger city like Copenhagen or Stockholm.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

fnox posted:

If you are ever in Stavanger, I'll buy you a beer.

Hell, several beers.

edit: Your education begins now. Beer is expensive as gently caress here, so this is a big deal.

edit2: durrrr you're going to Sweden not Norway

Vlex fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 19, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

fnox posted:

Congrats. Your English is good, so at least there's one skill.

Also not to be a downer, but $1200 sounds way too low for 4 months of rent, along with it being ultra weird to want that much in advance. Unless it's student housing of some sort? Otherwise I hope you have someone on the ground there to check it out that it's not a scam.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Cicero posted:

Seems like it'd be easier to get by with English in a bigger city like Copenhagen or Stockholm.

There's one in Norway too, I guess the Vikings weren't very creative with their town names.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Cicero posted:

The reason why I'm going to Kristianstad is because they have CS programmes in English there, I could eventually move if necessary. Malmö is nearby, and it is the third largest city in Sweden, it's also right next to Copenhagen, there's a bridge connecting them.

Saladman posted:

Also not to be a downer, but $1200 sounds way too low for 4 months of rent, along with it being ultra weird to want that much in advance. Unless it's student housing of some sort? Otherwise I hope you have someone on the ground there to check it out that it's not a scam.

Nah the company is legit, the university itself recommends it. The reason why it's so low it's because it's student housing, it's just a 19m^2 room with a bathroom, with a shared kitchen and living room, and the reason why they ask for 4 months of rent in advance is because I don't have a credit history in the country.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fnox posted:

Awesome man, a pasar roncha but you escaped!

I'm guessing you're just in Madrid for the connection to Copenhagen? If you're staying a day or two I'll buy you a beer and a tapa.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

fnox posted:

The reason why I'm going to Kristianstad is because they have CS programmes in English there, I could eventually move if necessary. Malmö is nearby, and it is the third largest city in Sweden, it's also right next to Copenhagen, there's a bridge connecting them.

Nah the company is legit, the university itself recommends it. The reason why it's so low it's because it's student housing, it's just a 19m^2 room with a bathroom, with a shared kitchen and living room, and the reason why they ask for 4 months of rent in advance is because I don't have a credit history in the country.

Good luck, the weather is terrible but the cities and towns are beautiful clean and safe.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Are people still able to get remittances in Venezuela from friends and family overseas? I didn't know if that pulls dollars from the government's foreign reserves or adds to them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Are people still able to get remittances in Venezuela from friends and family overseas? I didn't know if that pulls dollars from the government's foreign reserves or adds to them.

I dont think so. I know my spanish teacher isnt allowed to visit and misses her family.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Awesome man, a pasar roncha but you escaped!

I'm guessing you're just in Madrid for the connection to Copenhagen? If you're staying a day or two I'll buy you a beer and a tapa.

Yeah I'm just there for a couple of hours, unless the connecting flight is postponed or something. I'll be at the UK for some paperwork after I have things done in Sweden.

Krispy Kareem posted:

In a system that makes sense, it adds to them. Ecuador relies heavily on money transfer and remittances for their income, for example. But when the government loving insists to sell you the dollars at a loss, they have to regulate the amount that you're allowed to have.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I dont think so. I know my spanish teacher isnt allowed to visit and misses her family.

While functionally the same, I'm sure your teacher can visit, since traveling to Venezuela isn't forbidden , just won't go because it's dangerous, expensive and scary as hell.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
People used to send their relatives here money through Western Union or whatever, there were huge lines all the time, but then they disappeared so I guess they aren't working anymore.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Has there been any research done on where exactly expat Venezuelans are ending up? Is it just a trickle of people who are lucky enough to have the means to leave or is there a full blown diapora?

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Hugoon Chavez posted:

While functionally the same, I'm sure your teacher can visit, since traveling to Venezuela isn't forbidden , just won't go because it's dangerous, expensive and scary as hell.

Unless she declared herself as a Political Exile at entry.

I know some friends of my relatives did that to get a fast residence in the States, and from what my cousin (who did the proper legislation to get his Work & Residence Permit as an Animator) has told us after he paid a visit to them, they're not allowed to contact their families while the current government is in power unless they want to be deported back to Venezuela with any chance of re-entry forbidden...

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

themrguy posted:

Has there been any research done on where exactly expat Venezuelans are ending up? Is it just a trickle of people who are lucky enough to have the means to leave or is there a full blown diapora?

I have friends and family members across the whole world, USA, Canada, Panama, Chile, Japan, Australia, Spain, Switzerland. If I had to say the vast majority go to the US.

I also know quite a few people who've had to come back because it didn't work out for them...

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I have a vague recollection that some tens of pages back there were some Colombians, Argentines and Peruvians in here posting about how many Venezuelans are in their respective countries all of a sudden.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

El Hefe posted:

People used to send their relatives here money through Western Union or whatever, there were huge lines all the time, but then they disappeared so I guess they aren't working anymore.

Presumably it works, it's just that for every dollar you send to Venezuela, your relative gets 6.8 Bs. At least, that's how it was working in Argentina until they elected Macri.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

AstraSage posted:

Unless she declared herself as a Political Exile at entry.

I know some friends of my relatives did that to get a fast residence in the States, and from what my cousin (who did the proper legislation to get his Work & Residence Permit as an Animator) has told us after he paid a visit to them, they're not allowed to contact their families while the current government is in power unless they want to be deported back to Venezuela with any chance of re-entry forbidden...

That can't be true because I have family members in the US who requested asylum and they are in the process right now and we are in contact all the time.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The CNE had a press conference earlier today and announced that the next step in the recall referendum process is five steps of verification. I don't have the link handy but I believe that the CNE also said that the process would take over 20 days. This is in direct contradiction to the CNE's own rules, which state that the verification process for a recall referendum takes a maximum of five working days from the day that the signatures are received. In other words, the verification process should have ended last week.

The opposition is also afraid that the different levels of verification are designed to eliminate signatures (ie., signatures that are no legible, signatures where the person's name/ID number are not legible, etc.). This is probably why they collected close to two million, when the CNE asked for 195,000.

The CNE has a tried-and-tested, ready to deploy, fully developed electoral machine that is able to accommodate over ten million voters on a single day for electing the president. Chavez died on March 5, 2013; on April 14, barely a month later, the country had presidential elections.

The referendum could be held next month if the CNE really wanted to do it, but it doesn't.

fnox
May 19, 2013

themrguy posted:

Those lucky enough to have European ancestry are scattered all over Europe, others lucky enough to have either family or that managed to get green cards through the immigration lottery are in the US, Canada or Australia. Every other expat is in Colombia, Ecuador, Panama, Argentina or Chile.

The concept of a Venezuelan diaspora is very real at this point. A low estimate puts the amount of people who have left the country in 17 years of Chavismo to be around 1.2 million.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

El Hefe posted:

That can't be true because I have family members in the US who requested asylum and they are in the process right now and we are in contact all the time.

Have they checked if they can still do it after their process is actually done?

Then again, I've been speaking of the secondhand account of those who rushed their asylum process: there's either some inaccuracies in the story or they did something during it that earned the heightened restrictions.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

fnox posted:

The concept of a Venezuelan diaspora is very real at this point. A low estimate puts the amount of people who have left the country in 17 years of Chavismo to be around 1.2 million.
To anyone who thinks that 1.2 million is a low number over 17 years, there are a few things to note. Firstly, while people have been emigrating always, it's only in the last few years that the situation has really become clearly unsustainable. Secondly, those 1.2m are on a population of 30m, so it is a sizable chunk. And most importantly, those 1.2 million who left are the overwhelming majority of those who have the means and opportunity to leave. As noted above, it is a complicated and expensive process, and Venezuela is a very unequal society, with people in general just getting poorer as time goes by. The current government has created a climate in which almost everyone who can leave, is leaving.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

To anyone who thinks that 1.2 million is a low number over 17 years, there are a few things to note. Firstly, while people have been emigrating always, it's only in the last few years that the situation has really become clearly unsustainable. Secondly, those 1.2m are on a population of 30m, so it is a sizable chunk. And most importantly, those 1.2 million who left are the overwhelming majority of those who have the means and opportunity to leave. As noted above, it is a complicated and expensive process, and Venezuela is a very unequal society, with people in general just getting poorer as time goes by. The current government has created a climate in which almost everyone who can leave, is leaving.

I would like to add that those are mostly students and educated professionals. The brain drain is very real.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Yeah and the sad thing is that the ones who are leaving aren't murderers, thieves or rapists, the ones who are leaving are mostly professionals, the brain drain is immense.

Amperod
Jun 16, 2006

fnox posted:

Congratulations.
I buy you a beer in Copenhagen when you are here and you got the time. (It is cheaper than Sweden)

If you got a spanish passport, you can get Student loan in Denmark http://www.su.dk/english/su-as-a-foreign-citizen/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student_loans_in_Denmark

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

fnox posted:

drat dude, good for you! Since you're studying a CS degree even if you don't find a legit job, you might be able to eke things out by freelancing.

El Hefe posted:

Yeah and the sad thing is that the ones who are leaving aren't murderers, thieves or rapists, the ones who are leaving are mostly professionals, the brain drain is immense.

Adding to these, pretty much everyone with a college degree nowadays is looking for ways to leave. Hell, if I'd graduated college I'd have left already because a degree opens a lot of doors. It's gotten to the point where I have friends spread all across the globe and if I start dating someone one of the first questions I'll ask is "So, where are you going to move to?". Even if we manage to get a government change soon, Venezuela has already pretty much lost a good part of a generation of professionals.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Saladman posted:

Presumably it works, it's just that for every dollar you send to Venezuela, your relative gets 6.8 Bs. At least, that's how it was working in Argentina until they elected Macri.

So if I had family in Venezuela and sent them 100 dollars, the government would give them the artificially low rate of 680 B's when in reality it would be worth an order of magnitude more?

No wonder no one is sending money.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There must be an illegal way to send money.

fnox
May 19, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Hypothetically Bitcoin and Paypal are illegal in the country.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Lone Badger posted:

What I do is pay in euros to someone I know over here in Spain, and she transfer Bolivares from her account to my mother's, at a rate closer to the real (unofficial) exchange rate.

Well, I say she, but I'm sure she's just an intermediate and the people doing this are mostly rich folks that are trying to exchange what's left of their money tied in Venezuela.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
Basically, there are four ways to send money to someone in Venezuela without going through the government:

1. Get your family in Venezuela to find a contact who's buying either euros or dollars and do a bank transfer, then they get the bolivares. This way they get the market black rate.

2. Send them money through Paypal and have them resell that money to someone else. This way they would only get approximately Bs900 per dollar instead of the Bs1100 that a black market dollar is selling for and that's after Paypal fees.

3. Send them Amazon gift cards which can be resold at the same rate as Paypal or a little bit less.

4. Send them Bitcoin and have them sell them on Surbitcoin, which comes close to the black market rate but only works with a few banks.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Saladman posted:

It's super easy to pay $1200 for 4 months of rent AND enjoy cheap as hell craft brews...

in America

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Labradoodle posted:

Basically, there are four ways to send money to someone in Venezuela without going through the government:

1. Get your family in Venezuela to find a contact who's buying either euros or dollars and do a bank transfer, then they get the bolivares. This way they get the market black rate.

2. Send them money through Paypal and have them resell that money to someone else. This way they would only get approximately Bs900 per dollar instead of the Bs1100 that a black market dollar is selling for and that's after Paypal fees.

3. Send them Amazon gift cards which can be resold at the same rate as Paypal or a little bit less.

4. Send them Bitcoin and have them sell them on Surbitcoin, which comes close to the black market rate but only works with a few banks.

Finally a use for bitcoin that I can approve of.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there enough demand for bitcoins in Venezuela?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Woolie Wool posted:

Finally a use for bitcoin that I can approve of.

I'm surprised none of the mobile payment methods popular in subsaharan africa have taken off in Venezuela. Perhaps a VeniGoon entrepreneur should fill the market gap.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I have never heard anyone even mention the word bitcoin irl but maybe I just don't hang out in bitcoin circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
There's a video making the rounds on social media tonight showing a bunch of people ripping open garbage bags on the street and eating whatever scraps they find inside. The video looks like it was filmed in Caracas.

I think it was fnox who said that he's been noticing a lot of people doing this recently.

Here's the video, and my translation is below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC8GILfxSwY

quote:

Man Recording: Over there, over there! Look! Over there! They're eating garbage! They're eating the food that they threw on the ground. They opened the bags and they're eating the food that was in the garbage. They're eating it!

We're starving in Venezuela! Look at this. My God. This is incredible. They're eating the food from the garbage. And the government says it's a lie! Look over there! They're killing each other over the food they're throwing out. The scraps from the restaurants. Here, here!