Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

So we bought a new DVR and IP encoder thingies to use our existing cameras.

Guy: Hey, we want to add more cameras!
Me: Knock yourself out. You're going to need this PoE switch though
Guy: The vendor wants $1,000 to add 4 cameras and install them. What a ripoff!
Me: Well they have to install the cameras, wiring, configure the DVR, buy software licenses...
Guy: I found the cameras for $50 each on Amazon! Can we use them
Me: No idea but we can try.

So then they get the cameras (some plain box that says DOME CAMERA) and I have one of my guys futz around with it for a day. Turns out we need to spend $400 on licenses to add more cameras, that's why the system won't pick them up but we can view the cameras by IP

Guy: Okay go ahead and buy them. Hey I want to buy 2 more cameras so get 4 licenses okay?
Me: You bought this system, you're buying the cameras, why don't you just get the licenses too? Whatever...I'll buy them
Guy: Hey the new cameras came in!

So they get 2 different cameras then before. Even shittier. Have fun dicking with these cameras for a whole nother day.

$200 in cameras, $400 in licenses, and 2 whole days dicking around with the cameras and running cable etc. WE SURE SAVED SOME MONEY THERE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

flosofl posted:

My lunch hour is a daily recurring meeting for the next 20 years. I also have anytime before 6 AM (my start time) and after 3PM (Miller Time) blocked out as unavailable. If someone schedules during that time, I "decline requesting new time", picking a rescheduled time that no one has blocked. If they don't reply or reschedule, well it's not in my calendar anymore and they can't complain because I offered an alternative. Sometimes I get a "you were a vital member and we needed you". Obviously not or you would have checked my availability to make sure I could make it.

I used to take the occasional meeting here and there, but people started to abuse it and/or I started having to interact with more inconsiderate shitheads. So, I now block times and rigorously decline anything that falls in those times. I wish I had started doing that *years* before I did.

I also do this.

When I first started here I caught some flack for it. Within 2 months, everyone in IT and IS has adopted my schedule block outs.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Two questions I always ask during my first in-person interview at a company: What is your headphones policy at work, and what is the work from home policy. If they balk at either question or the answer is "Not allowed", I don't want to work there.

You could always go the Embrava route, like my old supervisor did. If his light was DND and head headphones were on he wouldn't even turn around.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Re: Headphone chat, bought a pair of these headphones for work, and since then I've been preaching the word. By sitting in front of your ear like this;

you still have full situational awareness and can hear people walking up to you or talking to you. The sound is passed through your soft tissue and bone right into your middle ear using some frequency modulation and bone conduction. The music has fairly good sound quality, much better than what you'd get out of an earbud, and it sounds like it's coming from inside your head. At normal volumes, someone else has to be pressing their head up to yours in order to hear any sound, so you don't have to worry about sound bleed.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Takkaryx posted:

Re: Headphone chat, bought a pair of these headphones for work, and since then I've been preaching the word. By sitting in front of your ear like this;

I saw this review some time ago. Apparently they're pretty good for what they do.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Just had a meeting with $BOSS and $BIGBOSS.

It actually went surprisingly smoothly. Air was cleared, mutual understanding was reached, so I guess we'll see what happens in the next 3 months.

I feel like I've let the thread down.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Its clearly a trap and your demise is being planned. :rip:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, do you watch Silicon Valley? The counter-attack is already in play.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Coredump posted:

Its clearly a trap entrapment and your demise is being planned. :rip:

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello

xzzy posted:

Yeah, do you watch Silicon Valley? The counter-attack is already in play.

Contingency plans are in place.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

porkface posted:

a real estimate from the team, usually based on careful planning

:laffo:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Takkaryx posted:

you still have full situational awareness and can hear people walking up to you or talking to you. The sound is passed through your soft tissue and bone right into your middle ear using some frequency modulation and bone conduction. The music has fairly good sound quality, much better than what you'd get out of an earbud, and it sounds like it's coming from inside your head. At normal volumes, someone else has to be pressing their head up to yours in order to hear any sound, so you don't have to worry about sound bleed.

I wonder how well they work with a person with hearing loss?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

HP Support posted:

Subject: Critical Alert for your HP ProBook Notebook PCs
Critical Driver Alert - May 10 2016

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (ver 01.11 Rev.A)

Hey better go look into that.

HP's Drivers & Software page posted:

Version:01.11 Rev.A (10 May 2016)
Enhancements
- Provides the updated BIOS.
gently caress you that's not a revision history, changelog, or at all useful in any remote way. "LOL some poo poo changed" does not patch notes make.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 19, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I loving hate stupid management decisions and being one of many engineers that get poo poo on or forced to support something that the owners state "we don't support". Case in point, our owners and management at the MSP I work for have said more than once, verbatim:

"We're not a Mac support shop, if they have issues they need to call Apple support"

Of course, what happens? We get clients who have various flavors of OSX devices, and when we tell them what the owners tell us, they piss and moan to their own bosses, who come back to the engineers and our bosses freaking out about us not supporting Macs. Which leads to management making GBS threads on us for telling the client the truth, then either throwing us under the bus for their loving idiot decisions or we end up supporting it anyway. Which leads to people with little to no Mac background trying to fix something they don't understand because we literally have 2-3 people who know anything about Macs in the company, and 9 times out of 10 they're unavailable or have a ton of Mac work being dumped on them already.

gently caress management and their heads-up-asses approaches and being too goddamn spineless to tell the truth and stick to it. I'm done loving with Macs, I don't give a poo poo if I get canned at this point for refusing and telling the Mac-loving CEO to support that bullshit on his own if it means that much for business.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

If I couldn't put on headphones every time the guy across from me chews with his mouth open and smacks his lips I'd have gone insane years ago. Not only are headphones allowed, they're provided (user's choice of model).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I loving hate stupid management decisions and being one of many engineers that get poo poo on or forced to support something that the owners state "we don't support". Case in point, our owners and management at the MSP I work for have said more than once, verbatim:

"We're not a Mac support shop, if they have issues they need to call Apple support"

Of course, what happens? We get clients who have various flavors of OSX devices, and when we tell them what the owners tell us, they piss and moan to their own bosses, who come back to the engineers and our bosses freaking out about us not supporting Macs. Which leads to management making GBS threads on us for telling the client the truth, then either throwing us under the bus for their loving idiot decisions or we end up supporting it anyway. Which leads to people with little to no Mac background trying to fix something they don't understand because we literally have 2-3 people who know anything about Macs in the company, and 9 times out of 10 they're unavailable or have a ton of Mac work being dumped on them already.

gently caress management and their heads-up-asses approaches and being too goddamn spineless to tell the truth and stick to it. I'm done loving with Macs, I don't give a poo poo if I get canned at this point for refusing and telling the Mac-loving CEO to support that bullshit on his own if it means that much for business.

At the MSP I used to work for we would do "annual checkups" for an enormous law firm client, and we'd make sure the attorneys' personal PCs weren't hosed up and wouldn't destroy the law firm's stuff when they VPN'd in, etc. Last year the CEO of the MSP said "And we're not going to support XP anymore, just let me know if you come across any XP machines."

First checkup I go on, XP machine. Call the CEO and tell him, and his response is, of course, "Oh. Hmmmmm. Well, just do the checklist anyway." :suicide:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

My brother works out of our clients office as a PM, apparently there's a guy right across from him in the cube farm that talks to himself and all sorts of poo poo all day, he ended up buying these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K09H32?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Says they are amazing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-HM9...s=brainwavz+hm9

Thank me later.

edit*

If you want full over the ear:

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-HM5...JR643ZHCYKFZ63N

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

RadicalR posted:

Depends what kind of hearing loss. The sound travels from your cheekbone and into your inner ear, bypassing your eardrum. Basically works the same as a cochlear implant, but on the outside. Now, the sound isn't ONLY transmitted through the cheekbone, higher frequencies also still go around an into the eardrum, but you can effectively use these with earplugs in and get most of the sound. It just sounds deeper. I've had 3 generations of these starting from the first, and love them. They DO take a bit getting used to though, it can get annoying having something press inward on your skull, even if it's not much pressure. Once you get used to them though, they are the best.

Correction: Ok, not exactly like a cochlear implant, it doesn't replace the inner ear, but does bypass the eardrum.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Portal i'm designing gets deadline reduced by a month. Now requires approx double the functionality. Also I have to present it at a conference.

I'm just wondering at this point if I should just outsource it but the subject matter is really tricky and every time i've tried to use cheap labour, I get hosed.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Baxta posted:

Portal i'm designing gets deadline reduced by a month. Now requires approx double the functionality. Also I have to present it at a conference.

I'm just wondering at this point if I should just outsource it but the subject matter is really tricky and every time i've tried to use cheap labour, I get hosed.

Outsourcing won't work right the first time and it will only get worse down the road. Either you cut functionality and make the new deadline or you push the release date out for the new functionality. Any other route will gently caress you and everyone else's poo poo hard.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

MF_James posted:

My brother works out of our clients office as a PM, apparently there's a guy right across from him in the cube farm that talks to himself and all sorts of poo poo all day, he ended up buying these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K09H32?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Says they are amazing.

Conversely, I can't wear earbuds for more than an hour without feeling like I'm murdering my ears so I ended up dropping the cash on a pair of these http://smile.amazon.com/Audio-Techn...ailpage_o07_s00

I can wear them the whole day without issues and they're the best sounding pair of headphones I've ever had. Comes with a bunch of different cables too.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Greatbacon posted:

Outsourcing won't work right the first time and it will only get worse down the road. Either you cut functionality and make the new deadline or you push the release date out for the new functionality. Any other route will gently caress you and everyone else's poo poo hard.

Maybe agree to a phased release? Like a game adding more content.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Greatbacon posted:

Cant cut functionality. It's for government regulated stuff that goes into place 1st of July.

Deadline MIGHT be able to be nudged as its now based on the conference. I just have to design the extra stuff on the front end with gently caress all validation and pretend it does all the db stuff it should.

Then after the conference I have a few weeks to tie in the rest.

Fucken gently caress.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Baxta posted:

Cant cut functionality. It's for government regulated stuff that goes into place 1st of July.

Deadline MIGHT be able to be nudged as its now based on the conference. I just have to design the extra stuff on the front end with gently caress all validation and pretend it does all the db stuff it should.

Then after the conference I have a few weeks to tie in the rest.

Fucken gently caress.

Is it for a city or something? I used to work for a city and about 80% of products would promise to hit all the state requirements nail about half of them but make the UI show the other half and add the "broken" features as requested and take months to actually add them. The size would go up enough that it was clear they just never completed the project and sold us something with the features we wouldn't use often just not made. I hated these lowest bidder companies but maybe you can at least raise the bar and start coding the "fixes" ahead of time and include them in regular patches.

Or just be like chip and pin credit cards and go chip + signature which is a terrible half implemented solution.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Same thing here. We were upfront with the new owners that this is not a Mac shop and the backend isn't really meant to interact with them and that we do not have a knowledge base to really do much more than google our way around.

They of course insist on having the latest Macs with 27'' thunderbolt displays. They have drat near the entire Apple catalog on their desks and they have the nerve to make "stewardship" (as in saving money) a part of the company mission statement :downsgun: . This leads to endless amounts of glitches because they are shoving a square peg in a round hole, and they get openly frustrated that it requires more than 30 seconds to work on their poo poo.

RadicalR posted:

I wonder if they can cause hearing loss.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

pixaal posted:

Is it for a city or something? I used to work for a city and about 80% of products would promise to hit all the state requirements nail about half of them but make the UI show the other half and add the "broken" features as requested and take months to actually add them. The size would go up enough that it was clear they just never completed the project and sold us something with the features we wouldn't use often just not made. I hated these lowest bidder companies but maybe you can at least raise the bar and start coding the "fixes" ahead of time and include them in regular patches.

Or just be like chip and pin credit cards and go chip + signature which is a terrible half implemented solution.

Nah not for a city. Financial Services stuff. I like this company and the idea is a great one just pissed that random requirements jump out of the woodwork at poo poo times.

Its doable which is better than our previous plans of getting something that mostly did a thing then finding out modifying anything takes more time than building the thing from scratch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Windows' support for multiple displays at different DPIs and handling changes in the primary display when docking/undocking laptops is still complete and utter toilet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Windows' support for multiple displays at different DPIs and handling changes in the primary display when docking/undocking laptops is still complete and utter toilet.
My support guy keeps telling people to only dock/undock their laptop when it's turned completely off (not in sleep mode), because that's the only way to prevent Windows 7 from throwing a shitfit and bluescreen or cause half of the onboard devices to stop working until you reboot.

HP EliteBook 820

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Collateral Damage posted:

My support guy keeps telling people to only dock/undock their laptop when it's turned completely off (not in sleep mode), because that's the only way to prevent Windows 7 from throwing a shitfit and bluescreen or cause half of the onboard devices to stop working until you reboot.

HP EliteBook 820

I tell people the same thing because it's a loving rolling the dice if it will work or not

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Super Slash posted:

You could use WinCDEmu to mount the ISO and keep the drive after a restart; http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/tutorials/persist/

I kinda prefer using that to Daemon tools.

I know its from a couple of pages back but this really helped. Who in this day and age uses the physical CD as copy protection.

My manager thinks this is witch craft in a good way

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Last night there was a power outage at the datacenter where our poo poo is hosted, and for some reason our poo poo went down. It may have killed our IVR server, which is kinda super bad. Everything else seems to be working maybe :confuoot:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Collateral Damage posted:

HP EliteBook 820

820 G1 or G2 ?

The difference is, about 9 months after the G1 came out, HP quietly replaced most of the new components. We got a big long list of old part numbers being replaced by new ones. Then the G2 was launched with the new logic boards, touchpad and so forth incorporated in the design. And lo ! Battery failures are down and failed touchpad are down to almost none.

I hate those funky plastic pieces of poo poo. I just cannot respect a design that has 20+ screws to hold it together and a designated spot to poke the keyboard to remove it. The 840 is just as bad, and was designed by a different team despite being outwardly different only in size. You can tell, they share no components besides RAM, drive, and wifi card; and the 820 has the stupid rubber covers for the external screws numbered while the 840 team didn't care that someone might have to put them back on someday.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Things NOT pissing me off, actually rather funny this morning...

So in another thread I mentioned a former medical client that left because of a whiny, bitchy, uptight manager who didn't want to cooperate with any of our engineers or listen to our advice. She ended up going with another local MSP because she "wasn't satisfied with our service" even though all of us went out of our way to make sure they had as much attention and help as possible. Anyhow, this was a few months back, we parted ways amicably, provided the new MSP all the info we had and wiped our hands clean of the whole situation.

Came in this morning to find out that this client is now looking at another MSP because they don't like the people they left us for :lol: we found out because a couple former employees at my company went to another MSP and they recognized the company from when they worked here. Apparently the bitch manager is so tough to work with that she's having to shop around, literally because nothing is ever good enough for her. She is and was the ONLY person constantly complaining, everyone else loved our response times and were super friendly/cooperative. Methinks this idiot manager needs to find a new place of employment before their whole office mutinies against her because they can't do their jobs. I love when things like this happen and end up proving us right about the problem not being our company/engineers, but the uncooperative, penny-pinching cheap rear end moron manager that didn't want to run their office properly. :allears:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I know its from a couple of pages back but this really helped. Who in this day and age uses the physical CD as copy protection.

The kinds of vendors who are still not working in "this day and age".

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I love when things like this happen and end up proving us right about the problem not being our company/engineers, but the uncooperative, penny-pinching cheap rear end moron manager that didn't want to run their office properly. :allears:

I recently got back a customer who had left years ago with a similar situation.

That and having a manager from another customer's remote site see me at their corporate office and say unprovoked "we love you guys" when she found out who I worked for have really made my week.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 20, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Want to know the phrase I hate the most? "We've always done it this way." And that is why some 60 year old manager is insisting his staff require the CD to be in the drive to ENSURE that no copying hanky panky is going on. Change is bad because it might cause a problem, even if your current methods are huge problems in themselves.

mllaneza posted:

820 G1 or G2 ?

The difference is, about 9 months after the G1 came out, HP quietly replaced most of the new components. We got a big long list of old part numbers being replaced by new ones. Then the G2 was launched with the new logic boards, touchpad and so forth incorporated in the design. And lo ! Battery failures are down and failed touchpad are down to almost none.

I hate those funky plastic pieces of poo poo. I just cannot respect a design that has 20+ screws to hold it together and a designated spot to poke the keyboard to remove it. The 840 is just as bad, and was designed by a different team despite being outwardly different only in size. You can tell, they share no components besides RAM, drive, and wifi card; and the 820 has the stupid rubber covers for the external screws numbered while the 840 team didn't care that someone might have to put them back on someday.

Honestly, I don't care about the number of screws, I care about the variety of screws. I detest HP because every time I take apart their laptops, I have to have 12 piles of screws. LIke, really? In your cad program you couldn't have shifted the hard drive five hair-widths to the right so that you could use the same screw you hold another component in with?

Of course, I complain about this will no applied knowledge in laptop design. I fully recognize this as my old-man-yells-at-cloud area. :v:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Well I'm now ready to spend my Saturday working in Flint.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've worked places where we had to fly / haul in drinking water. They've invariably been shitholes.

(Join the navy, see the world :suicide: )

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Well I'm now ready to spend my Saturday working in Flint.

Oh, goody. Meijer "spring water" which is sourced "deep within Michigan's countryside."

It's probably how Flint is financing its' cleanup. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Vaya con Dios, amiga.