Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

IT BEGINS posted:

I see this mentioned and a lot and I'm not sure I agree. He's killed five POV characters? One of whom I'd argue wasn't even really deserving of a real POV spot (Oakheart). Like maybe compared to the average series that's a lot but it's not enough to scream 'gimmick' to me.

Quentyn was really when it turned to gimmick. You introduce a region, have a whole book where nothing happens but then you tell the reader, well, something will happen. And then in the next book that something is a lame nerd who gets roasted by a dragon.

At some point you need something to happen before we give a poo poo about a different continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
AFFC and ADWD are each only 2/5th of a book though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Good point, I had forgotten about it. Still, Kylo is supposed to be a trained and powerful force user, and Rey is someone who literally discovered that she could use the force 30 minutes ago and Finn is just a former stromtrooper

Luke had about 10 minutes more instruction on how the force works than she did and he used it to eyeball the death star shot during what seemed like his second day ever in space. poo poo happens.

Edit: and yeah Luke has prior flight experience, but Rey has previous melee weapon experience too. She walks around with a scifi bo staff as her main weapon. I don't know why they had Finn wield a saber at all other than a need to set up a marketing fake out but at least when he was doing it they gave him an appropriate hack n' slash/baseball bat style of using it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 19, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rey is probably a bit more competent than she ought to have been but I still thought she was pretty neat. I'd be surprised if Episode 8 didn't go the Empire route of having the protagonist side coming out battered and bruised, with Rey not looking so competent at everything after all, particularly with the Mary Sue criticism that's been bandied about a bunch.

Even outside of the "Traitor!" memes, having Finn get whooped by the riot trooper was cool as hell and making Storm Troopers not worthless* was probably my favourite bit of Force Awakens so him getting a Lightsaber was good stuff.

*- Until he gets shot and killed I suppose

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
As I understand, both Luke and Rey are highly effective pilots due some unconscious level of force helping. Or something like that. Mind control, at the other hand, is an advanced force technique. And she learns that by herself in 2 minutes and 3 tries. And her staff is quite a different weapon than a light sword

Well it doenst matters anyway cause its all midclorians and stupid

EIDT: really I was actually more bothered by the fact that a mere stormtrooper was able to hold a trained sith lord in a lightsaber fight for that long. But perhaps the next movies will reveal that he is too a force gifted guy

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 19, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Elias_Maluco posted:

As I understand, both Luke and Rey are highly effective pilots due some unconscious level of force helping. Or something like that. Mind control, at the other hand, is an advanced force technique. And she learns that by herself in 2 minutes and 3 tries. And her staff is quite a different weapon than a light sword

EIDT: really I was actually more bothered by the fact that a mere stormtrooper was able to hold a trained sith lord in a lightsaber fight for that long. But perhaps the next movies will reveal that he is too a force gifted guy

i think mind control on stormtroopers and the like is supposed to be easier because theyre already conditioned not to question orders.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
why did the scrap dealer leave the keys in the Millennium Falcon and how did he explain it to the insurance adjuster

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

boom boom boom posted:

I just started reading this series, starting with the first one, The Game of Thrones. I'm 40 pages in, and half that has been talking about who's gonna plow a thirteen year old girl.

I thought there was going to be dragons.

there will be a lot more pedos than dragons

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Number Ten Cocks posted:

why did the scrap dealer leave the keys in the Millennium Falcon and how did he explain it to the insurance adjuster

The insurance adjuster is getting his own movie right after the Han Solo prequel.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think it's a bit much to call him a sith lord at this point, for one there's a few canon sources that say the "Sith" and "Empire" are straight up DEAD. And the last word on him is that he's being taken to "complete his training". But I agree ep8 is going to be a real bummer for the protagonists, Kylo in ep7 is emo kylo ren and ep8 is going to be school shooter kylo ren.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Are you fags really debating how a protagonist wizard with good on their side could beat an evil wizard who's more experienced?

Was Force Awakens literally the first fiction story you've ever encountered?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
My problem with Rey (since we're apparently talking about Star Wars) isn't that she's hyper-competent in the Force - because that is going to be explained by the fact that she's a Skywalker and that she probably got trained in how to use the Force when she was a kid before she got mind wiped and left on not!Tatooine - it's that she threatens to overshadow Finn, whose way more interesting. A reformed Stormtrooper with little-to-no Force sensitivity is much more intriguing than another Skywalker. I don't mind if Rey is ultimately the new Chosen One destined to be the main character, I just hope Finn gets the attention he deserves.

Also, since it got mentioned earlier, Finn and Rey beating Kylo Ren isn't that surprising. Kylo is explicitly not fully trained yet and, in addition to the fact that he was wounded by Chewie (and spent a lot of the fight intentionally aggravating the wound), he was holding back against Rey because he wanted to recuit her (also he must have realized she's his cousin).

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

This was dumb as hell and I'm sure whatever explanation there is for it will be even dumber.

I like Finn a lot but ever since I saw it, it's hard to shake the idea that he's Emmett from the Lego movie. He talks just like him and spends half of the movie doing the exact same "uhhhh yeah I'm one of you good guys" routines with a lady who doesn't know better.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/kasparov63/status/733373071810265088

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Not really, the Khals are way more sex positive than the GOP presidential bench.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Yeah, the young, hot, white, widowed girl burning a bunch of Dothraki seems more like a 2008 HRC fantasy.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
The Book Barn > ASOIAF: So about that new Star Wars

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Even outside of the "Traitor!" memes, having Finn get whooped by the riot trooper was cool as hell and making Storm Troopers not worthless* was probably my favourite bit of Force Awakens so him getting a Lightsaber was good stuff.

One thing I never hear get brought up is how much more teeth this version had. TIE Fighters being deadly and wrecking poo poo; lightsabers shooting sparks being wielded like a club; blaster shots that punch through things; terrifying stormtroopers who are competent and will murder your whole family.

It's a far cry from armies of droids crapping themselves to death at the first sign of trouble.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
kylo ren -> crylord ben

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MrSlam posted:

One thing I never hear get brought up is how much more teeth this version had. TIE Fighters being deadly and wrecking poo poo; lightsabers shooting sparks being wielded like a club; blaster shots that punch through things; terrifying stormtroopers who are competent and will murder your whole family.

It's a far cry from armies of droids crapping themselves to death at the first sign of trouble.

Also how real everything looks, after the prequel trilogy

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

which one has bigger tits

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Hogge Wild posted:

which one has bigger tits

The one with small hands and unnatural hair and skin.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The one with small hands and unnatural hair and skin.

Daario?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MrSlam posted:

Stormtroopers being effective I'll grant you but the tie fighter pilots got worse actually. Poe wipes out an entire squadron in one pass. In the ot and even the prequels enemy starfighters were the deadliest opponents. In jedi the imperial fighters wreck face compared to ground forces

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
So how do you guys feel about the new Ghostbusters?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

So how do you guys feel about the new Ghostbusters?

GTFO

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Seinfeld isn't funny.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Lets talk about anime now

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I don't like tipping.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Lets talk about anime now

JoSno's Bizarre Adventure is the best series of all time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Elias_Maluco posted:

The "storm troopers are bad" thing is dumb because it's based on the Endor fight because a bunch of furry midgets* help the rebels take out what's supposed to be a crack unit of soldiers. Some people also point to the Death Star because they aren't capable of grasping the idea that killing the people Vader wants to use to find the rebels' base would be a bad idea.

ANH opens with storm troopers systematically taking down the rebels on a corvette like it's nothing. ESB has them gently caress up the Hoth base's defenses even while a jedi runs around helping the defenders. On the Death Star they're actively not killing Luke, Han, and Leia because Vader wants them to lead him to the rebels.

Force Awakened is the troopers just straight up killing the poo poo out of people because that's what they do. We'll probably get a dumb Endor 2.0 fight in Ep 8 or 9 though.

* who then celebrate their victory by (implied) eating the dead storm troopers at their victory feast.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Stormtroopers being effective I'll grant you but the tie fighter pilots got worse actually. Poe wipes out an entire squadron in one pass. In the ot and even the prequels enemy starfighters were the deadliest opponents. In jedi the imperial fighters wreck face compared to ground forces

The lack of other TIEs kinda sucked. If they had anything but Fighters and Bombers I didn't see them. Though I'm sure TIE Advance/Defender vessels got purged with a lot of the EU but Interceptors should still be around in some (upgraded) form.

Having Poe get to have an ace fighter pilot duel against MC from TIE Fighter some First Order top ace in something like a TIE Advance would be pretty rad though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Of a night, a long long time ago...

Darkstar Wars

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Why are Berniebros so misogynistic?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
deep-dish pizza is better than the normal pizza

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It's going to be winter soon.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

I just started reading this series, starting with the first one, The Game of Thrones. I'm 40 pages in, and half that has been talking about who's gonna plow a thirteen year old girl.

I thought there was going to be dragons.

Don't worry, it takes off slow but tapers from there.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

kenny powerzzz posted:

Don't worry, it takes off slow but tapers from there.

And then it gets very very slow

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Number Ten Cocks posted:

This bugged me. Along with her sudden amazing piloting ability. Just seemed weird.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Anakin could pilot podracers, which humans aren't supposed to be capable of. Luke could fly a starfighter with zero training (that's like going from your farm's little cropduster to a Strike Eagle). It's the Force, man.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Tom Brady is the best quarterback in NFL History.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'm going to vote for Trump, seriously, because he seems like the most Wild Cards candidate.