Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

wateroverfire posted:

Wage + Pension contributions (according to the article) are comparable - in the mid 90's.

They're not http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291061.htm http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes472152.htm http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes514121.htm and probably haven't been for years if they ever were. You're probably confusing billing rates you've seen with what people actually take home.

From http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ca.htm btw

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Wateroverfire, where were these Slytherin workers living? Where were they working?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Discendo Vox posted:

Wateroverfire, where were these Slytherin workers living? Where were they working?
You pointed out the discrepancy after others had and now you're going back for yet another pass. I'm not the posting police but maybe let this one go or if you have some clever endgame go ahead and skip to that.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'll make short shrift of these pesky unions with my magic! Disrupto Laborum!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

pangstrom posted:

You pointed out the discrepancy after others had and now you're going back for yet another pass. I'm not the posting police but maybe let this one go or if you have some clever endgame go ahead and skip to that.

I'm reiterating the point of where the labor was occurring, and thus which laws are relevant. I was the one who directly invoked the underlying geographic problem first. It cuts past all of the other objections. The Slytherin bit is to indicate the specific country name isn't important.

Feinne posted:

I'll make short shrift of these pesky unions with my magic! Disrupto Laborum!

accio servus!

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

They're not http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291061.htm http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes472152.htm http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes514121.htm and probably haven't been for years if they ever were. You're probably confusing billing rates you've seen with what people actually take home.

From http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ca.htm btw

The $90 figure ($50 wage + $40 pension, etc) was what the article claimed some California official said about specifically Alameda county. On the other hand, I wouldn't trust that without some sort of verification against public data. Union welding (and trades in general) have a lot of weird creative reporting that people really like to use to claim that their wages are sky-high for some reason.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Not a Children posted:

Jokes are illegal on this forum

Nah...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Too small to detect with certainty.

See?

This is a good joke.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

wateroverfire posted:

:drat:

I'm actually pretty surprised that Californian welders and pipe fitters and such get paid better than anestesiologists, and not at all surprised companies would try to avoid dealing with that racket.

It was pretty interesting to read that the dudes coming in to do the work are by and large happy with the arrangement and regard it as a good wage that allows them to send money home to their families despite their wages being a little less per hour than they'd make working at a McDonalds in Fresno.

California labor market seems ripe for disruption.

Consider than an anesthesiologist that fucks up will probably just kill one person. A pipe welder that fucks up in the wrong environment can blow up an entire industrial complex. That said, the anesthesiologist does get paid better.

The rate they're billed at to insurance and the rate the welder's billed at to the contractor are probably similar, though!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 19, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I don't see why wateroverfire is complaining about the prices. Presumably you're not required to hire a union welder, if that's what Tesla would otherwise go with then that must be the market rate for a competent welder.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

FilthyImp posted:

I hope it gets one season.

So the last episode is literally "Turns out rich guy did it buy all the drones + ARgunz + PolizR App can't touch him because of Directive Riche"
The :report when you see drugs App" is by far the most hilarious part because it is not grounded in reality in any way shape or form.

Also, a billionaire exploiting workers, in MY America? Shocking, just shocking. As if the fact that he is making an environmentally friendly product means he is somehow above the usual exploitation. Billionaires gonna Billionaire.

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 20, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

cheese posted:

The :report when you see drugs App" is by far the most hilarious part because it is not grounded in reality in any way shape or form.

Also, a billionaire exploiting workers, in MY America? Shocking, just shocking. As if the fact that he is making an environmentally friendly product means he is somehow above the usual exploitation. Billionaires gonna Billionaire.
Scuttlebutt is he's more of an rear end in a top hat to his employees than Steve Jobs was, which is a pretty high bar.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Cicero posted:

I don't see why wateroverfire is complaining about the prices. Presumably you're not required to hire a union welder, if that's what Tesla would otherwise go with then that must be the market rate for a competent welder.

This reads like a joke but is something I've heard people say before so I'm going to suppose it's real.

There are no non-union welders. In order to learn to weld you have to get training which you can only get as part of a union and once you're part of the union you can't sell your services as non-union because that's against union rules and you don't want to leave the union because you make much more money staying in, and you probably care about the people you've been working with for some years. If there was some fantasy scenario where a company would pay 1.5x the union rate for welders who leave the union and work for them, most people would still say no because they understand how important a union is for them. Plus, construction is a funny business, maybe you manage to get non-union welders but suddenly your plumbers are running into all sorts of troubles and that's delaying your electricians who can't start till basically everything else is done. Funny how they're all union.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

quote:

I'm Scott Sanborn, President and acting CEO of Lending Club. I've been on Lending Club's leadership team for the past six years as Chief Marketing Officer and Chief Operating Officer, and I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and describe our current focus.

Individual investors like you are - and will always be - the foundation of our marketplace.

Given recent events, my immediate focus is on how Lending Club can best serve you - our investors. We've talked to hundreds of our investors - spanning individuals to financial advisors to banks to large institutions - over the past week about the strength of our business, our operations, our people, and our data integrity. Let me assure you that we are in a strong financial position with a substantial amount of cash and securities on our balance sheet - $868 million. We plan to be around for many years to come.

The performance of loans facilitated through the platform remains robust. We continue to service and process borrower payments just like we always have, and the interest and principal payments that borrowers make will continue to be passed on to you just as they were before.

We're extremely proud of the products we're providing to both borrowers and investors, and I look forward to sharing more with you in the coming months and years about our company and our results.

I'm not working alone. Our Executive Team has been working together for the past six years and has deep expertise in credit, operations, marketing, finance, human resources and technology. We're also supported by one of the strongest Board of Directors in the industry. It includes Hans Morris (former President of Visa and now our Executive Chairman), Larry Summers (former US Treasury Secretary), John Mack (former CEO of Morgan Stanley), Mary Meeker (a Partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers) and other experienced executives.

I will continue to keep you informed as we move ahead. In the meantime, feel free to contact our team with questions and suggestions at (888) 596-3159 7am-5pm PT, Monday through Friday, or email us anytime at investing@lendingclub.com.

Thank you for investing with us. I look forward to having you as an investor for years to come.

I really wonder why they send these emails. Either I'm following the news and know there are problems or as soon as I receive this I become aware that there are problems.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chakan posted:

This reads like a joke but is something I've heard people say before so I'm going to suppose it's real.

There are no non-union welders. In order to learn to weld you have to get training which you can only get as part of a union and once you're part of the union you can't sell your services as non-union because that's against union rules and you don't want to leave the union because you make much more money staying in, and you probably care about the people you've been working with for some years. If there was some fantasy scenario where a company would pay 1.5x the union rate for welders who leave the union and work for them, most people would still say no because they understand how important a union is for them. Plus, construction is a funny business, maybe you manage to get non-union welders but suddenly your plumbers are running into all sorts of troubles and that's delaying your electricians who can't start till basically everything else is done. Funny how they're all union.

Right. You can't hire just a non-union welder. You'd have to also hire non-union pipefitters, rigging crews, electricians, and more because once word gets out that you are bypassing one Union they will all walk off the site. The multinational company where I used to work brought in a couple pipefitters from out of country to help build out their first US manufacturing plant and all skilled work on the site came to a screeching halt until they were on a plane out of the US. I'm a bit surprised similar didn't happen to Tesla.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Chakan posted:

There are no non-union welders. In order to learn to weld you have to get training which you can only get as part of a union

This is not true. A bunch of my local community colleges have non-union welding certificates and tons of inmates learn to weld through prison vocational programs that are also no union run. Lots of people still join unions in the end but the unions certainly don't have a monopoly on training. There are loads of non-union welders out there.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Shifty Pony posted:

Right. You can't hire just a non-union welder. You'd have to also hire non-union pipefitters, rigging crews, electricians, and more because once word gets out that you are bypassing one Union they will all walk off the site. The multinational company where I used to work brought in a couple pipefitters from out of country to help build out their first US manufacturing plant and all skilled work on the site came to a screeching halt until they were on a plane out of the US. I'm a bit surprised similar didn't happen to Tesla.

This actually happened in February at the battery factory Tesla is building in Reno. The state gave Tesla a jillion dollars in tax breaks, but there was a requirement that it hire mostly Nevada workers (which heavily implies union, since construction trade unions are strong here). Tesla complied with the agreement at first, but apparently they started giving more and more work to a New Mexico contractor which brought in non-union workers from there.

The union workers went back to work a couple days later, and I haven't heard anything more about it since then. I don't know who blinked, or if they found a compromise. I understand that the construction is already drifting behind schedule as well, which seems to clash with Musk's recent vow to speed up production of cars.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/hundreds-tesla-workers-walk-job-nevada-labor-dispute-n528426

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Unguided posted:

Imagine if the IT department of a company like Amazon or Google went on strike and shut down the servers for weeks.
Amazon and Google do not have "IT departments", and that is exactly why they do infrastructure better than non-tech companies.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

Amazon and Google do not have "IT departments", and that is exactly why they do infrastructure better than non-tech companies.

Serious question then, what is the name / informal name of desktop support? The guy who configures your corporate email? Installer of access points? Etc...

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Hughlander posted:

Serious question then, what is the name / informal name of desktop support? The guy who configures your corporate email? Installer of access points? Etc...
Those sorts of jobs are of course still done and are the IT equivalents (Google's term is "TechStop"): http://googleforstudents.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-day-in-life-of-googles-it-residents.html

But those are not "the server guys" as Unguided was implying. It's a different way of organizing the company, where infrastructure tech is core to the business rather than treated like some cost center ran by someone else.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
site uptime for good web companies is usually handled by Site Reliability Engineering. Company wide "devops" forcing everyone to a single standard so fewer people can manage more servers more reliability.

AWS is basically this department turned into a consumer product.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

pangstrom posted:

A demon that gorged on buckets of your blood and then growled accurate test results over your corpse.

I could've sworn there was a dungeons & dragons monster that does this.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I work for a company that employs a lot of boilermakers and I would not be shocked if the skill of welding 40mm aluminium to 4mm aluminium is comparable to anaesthesiology. Good fillet welds over several meters that don't affect the shape of the plates is an art form and they deserve the seemingly absurd money they get paid.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Tuxedo Gin posted:

This is not true. A bunch of my local community colleges have non-union welding certificates and tons of inmates learn to weld through prison vocational programs that are also no union run. Lots of people still join unions in the end but the unions certainly don't have a monopoly on training. There are loads of non-union welders out there.

Sorry, I was going by memory of what my soon-to-be brother-in-law (commercial plumbing in Chicago) and a former co-worker (some construction mgmt job idk) had told me. It does seem to vary quite a bit based on where you live.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I could've sworn there was a dungeons & dragons monster that does this.

Ironically "Theranos" sounds plausible as the name of such a beast.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Byolante posted:

I work for a company that employs a lot of boilermakers and I would not be shocked if the skill of welding 40mm aluminium to 4mm aluminium is comparable to anaesthesiology. Good fillet welds over several meters that don't affect the shape of the plates is an art form and they deserve the seemingly absurd money they get paid.

I only know how to solder and that in and of itself is a crazy difficult thing to do properly. I think a lot of people just plain fail to realize how much skill and knowledge there is in metal. It is never, ever "well you just glue thing A to thing B, right?" Good lord no. What you do depends on what metals you're attaching, what you're attaching them with, and why you're doing it. Sometimes you need something that will be absolutely, totally solid and will never move. Sometimes it needs to have give because if it doesn't it'll snap like a twig from stress at all.

Metal is complex as hell so of course people that are good at it should be expected to be very good and get paid very well. If not then people will literally die from lovely welds giving.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Learning a lot about welds from the thread about unicorns startups.

Gay But Crush Puss
May 19, 2016

by zen death robot
Only Coders Should Be Paid Because We Make Apps and the Future is Apps

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Careful now, if you imply that the lowliest of degree-requiring professions shouldn't pay more than literally every blue collar profession you will call into question our past 30 years of screaming COLLEGE COLLEGE COLLEGE OR YOU DIE at the top of our lungs

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kobayashi posted:

Learning a lot about welds from the thread about unicorns startups.

Nah, it's relevant because I'm writing weldr to disrupt the welding industry. So if you need welding done the app just analyzes whatever you're doing and then you plug your cell phone into our welding machine.

Which won't actually work properly so we'll end up paying to send a real welder in to do the job while we promise the investors that we totally have weldr almost done and perfect, we promise!

While we figure out how to make the company look as valuable as possible, buy a bunch of nice chairs, then sell our stake in a hideously overvalued, completely non-functional piece of software.

The only thing we're disrupting is where the money is and that was the entire plan all along.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Your business model and domain name are outdated sorry. Should have went with weld.io and positioned yourself as cloud-based marketplace platform for WaaS via rigorously trained, on demand welding professionals.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kobayashi posted:

Your business model and domain name are outdated sorry. Should have went with weld.io and positioned yourself as cloud-based marketplace platform for WaaS via rigorously trained, on demand welding professionals.

Don't forget the $1000 interest free* money for welders to buy equipment with!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kobayashi posted:

I feel this conflicts with my Weld.It app, which is a marketplace for welding bids for your project. Set the price and local artisanal "metallbenderz" will negotiate with you for the cheapest rate!

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Byolante posted:

And if there's anything you want welded properly, it's probably your boilers.

kaboom!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FilthyImp posted:

I feel this conflicts with my Weld.It app, which is a marketplace for welding bids for your project. Set the price and local artisanal "metallbenderz" will negotiate with you for the cheapest rate!

I smell a lawsuit. Troll.IP has you covered!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Did you know saying Theranos doesn't work is sexist

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I smell a lawsuit. Troll.IP has you covered!

Don't worry my new app lawyr will let you find the cheapest lawyer that promises you'll win the case. Don't win? You don't pay!

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

A Man With A Plan posted:

And if there's anything you want welded properly, it's probably your boilers.

kaboom!

Boilermaker is a pretty general term for dudes who can weld good here in Australia. While they are qualified to make boilers, mostly they are doing structural stuff like form-work, structural bracing and structures under load. The guys in our shop are only doing 'small' structures because we do up to 5000kg@7metre davits that go onto boats. The level of technical expertise that goes into welding up a single span structure that large is quite impressive.

In the Queensland Government vs Uber news we brought in new laws to combat Uber in the state and they are going well

Gold Coast Bulletin posted:

Uber drivers can be slugged up to $2356 while administrators of illegal taxi services face penalties of up to $23,560 under the new laws introduced late last month.

Since the new measures were announced, Transport and Main Roads executives boast they have issued $540,207 in penalty infringement notices across the state, including $69,030 to 33 Gold Coast drivers. Rideshare Drivers Association of Australia president Dan Manchester said Uber faced a mass exodus of drivers if it did not pay the fines.
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...de031162bf2e629

Note the 500k number doesn't include the 23k per infringment fine Uber is hit with.

And as you can imagine uber drivers are taking this new development well

fuckin acka mate posted:

A Gold Coast Uber driver has been charged after allegedly deliberately running over a taxi driver rival and leaving him for dead.

The 33-year-old Broadbeach man allegedly ran into the man in a black Holden Cruze as he stood by his cab at Surfers Paradise on Friday afternoon.

Surveillance footage shows the man being sent cartwheeling into the air at speed and left sprawled on the ground.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/05/14/20/01/uber-driver-accused-of-gold-coast-cabbie-attack#dhklKWwpy7PFIk8J.99

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

We have reached Peak Silicon Valley.

"Can A Company Be Run Without Leadership, Management Or Employees? $150m Invested In The DAO Says Yes"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonatha...s/#331e5947512d

quote:

The DAO, short for The Distributed Autonomous Organization, is an entirely new way of organizing investment. It has raised over $150m in crowdfunding dollars by over 20,000 individuals since April 30th, making it is the largest crowdfunded effort in history. The DAO’s features depend on a new Bitcoin-inspired blockchain called Ethereum.

Ethereum is a blockchain implementation created in 2014 by Vitalik Buterin, who was just nineteen at the time. Bitcoin was five years old then and Buterin carefully studied its strengths and weaknesses. Vitalik recognized that while Bitcoin could function well for companies looking to use it as a way to send money faster and cheaper across borders, it lacked the flexibility to achieve the promise of a fully programable currency. As a result, he built the Ethereum blockchain such that every node involved in Ethereum has a fully functional virtual computer inside built specifically to run programs known as smart contracts.

The DAO is a set of smart contracts that define a venture capital fund, which is directed by DAO Token Holders. This is similar to holding shares in a public company, but the fund itself is stateless, existing in all computers running Ethereum, having neither a physical address nor a board of directors.

slock.it, a smart devices rental company that is creating a system like Airbnb, played a key role in the creation of The DAO by writing the generic code base which was later deployed by the current DAO community. The Slock.it COO and a veteran of Ethereum itself, Stephan Tual, offers this concise definition of distributed autonomous organizations.

There are three classes of individuals involved in The DAO; project proposal users, investors, and curators.

Project proposal users offer various projects to the DAO in hopes that they will receive funding. The proposals can be for any kind of investments, research grants, seed funding for startups, or non-profit fundraisers just to name a few. The proposal will include a business plan, an ask for funds, and it offers a reward to The DAO. The ask for funds to be paid out in exchange for meeting certain milestones and the rewards to be provided to the DAO are all programmed into smart contracts, meaning no human interaction is needed for releasing funds. Profit driven proposals will reward The DAO by paying back the principal plus interest or providing an ongoing percentage of the revenue. R&D in the form of source code or studies, as well as charitable activities, would only meet milestones, proving to donors that they are completing the work they offered to do.

The investors, or DAO’s Token Holders are the people who contribute to the ever increasing $150m fund and they have one vote per each Token they hold. They can approve proposals, they can specify what happens to the proceeds from a given proposal, and they appoint curators, which can be thought of as The DAO’s internal audit function.

The latter few paragraphs of the article I didn't post provide some criticism of these ideas, but the fact that this is being invested in so heavily is bonkers to me.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 21, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
These people desperately want "Accelerando" to be a thing, where the economy can be crashed by the behavior of distributed autonomous corporations entirely unbeholden to the needs of society or indeed any humans whatsoever.

Just wait until they try to have an autonomous corporation serve on the board of or as an officer of another corporation. Current American law would lean in the direction of allowing that.

(In "Accelerando," one habitat even allows murder—since everyone is backed up in real-time, it's just an inconvenience—but bans the formation of limited-liability corporations as being too risky.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The average donation to DAO was 7.5k. I'm guessing that's due to some horrific outliers.