Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

azflyboy posted:

Too soon?

lol, you have inspired me. :)

The side almost looks like a normal #3 car.

The back has some fun though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

The words "Border patrol" are offensive now? There are 20,000 people employed by the government right now with that hate speech written on their uniform :ohdear:

Remember, this is also the game that doesn't allow Chevy "SS"

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Spades posted:

I've been spaced for a while now with being in the states and stuff but I'm now back in NZ and looking to get races going if that's what people do in Forza these days.

Also I bought this ugly oval office back with me

Do we have a IRC chatroom or anything like that going yet like we did for Forza 4?

Sweet purchase & import there, fellow dark-grey-V8-car-that's-way-too-fast-for-using-anywhere buddy :hf:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nice car, dude. I dig the paint color.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

holocaust bloopers posted:

Nice car, dude. I dig the paint color.

Me too. It only looks good in black or grey because of how covered it is in black vents. If those arent body colored in the first facelift they will have missed an opportunity

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
White with black wheels is also nice and ultra contrasty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol the online store won't let me buy the expansion pack, Microsoft is worthless at everything.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I could only buy it by launching my XBone, and searching "NASCAR Expansion" using the Bing app. It took me right to it.

Before that, I wasted a lot of time looking for it under Games>New Releases and Marketplace in FM6.

I'm salty about the Force Feedback poo poo. What the ever-loving gently caress? FIX THAT poo poo.

A friend of mine, after all these years, finally convinced himself to buy a console and a copy of FM6. He's still bothering me about the difference between Live Gold and VIP. I have explained VIP, Season Passes, and Expansion DLC like the Porsche Pack and the NASCAR pack to him, and he's still struggling with the cost structure. The idea of paid DLC for an expensive game is pissing him off (he's a PC gaming guy).

I don't blame him, I could only tell him that it's standard practice now.

Ninja: At least I talked him out of buying used or refurbished. I told him he's gonna want that warranty and he should plan to use it this time next year if he hasn't already.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Paid DLC is even a big part of PC gaming now. Dude is just being a cheap bastard.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I could only buy it by launching my XBone, and searching "NASCAR Expansion" using the Bing app. It took me right to it.

You didn't get a Forza Message about it? It will take you right to it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yeah that's how I bought it and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

As for the vibration feedback I'm honestly not noticing a difference from before the patch. Maybe it didn't affect the elite controller our I just don't know what to look for that's missing.

What is the problem with the feedback?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

geeves posted:

You didn't get a Forza Message about it? It will take you right to it.
No, I had a few messages waiting but the DLC tab was blank!

GutBomb posted:

Paid DLC is even a big part of PC gaming now. Dude is just being a cheap bastard.
I told him that, but he's my friend so I didn't call him a cheap bastard. I just said it was industry standard now and even EA Sports has stuff like this for PC games, etc. He's still going to go without and complain. I explained the benefits of VIP (esp. 2x XP and payouts, and how leveling up give you prize spins, but I don't know if I can convince him that it's worth it. Maybe it's not, to him.)

GutBomb posted:

What is the problem with the feedback?
I am still at work so I haven't actually verified this for myself, but upthread, our friend said:

azflyboy posted:

There's still feedback in the triggers for wheelspin and braking, but the feedback for losing grip, hitting bumps, or crashing into things has basically been disabled for controllers. At least there weren't any major bugs that got through QA... :downs:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If Forza 6 is your first Forza game then just buy the base game and stick to that. I bought everything cause I want to ride Dan Greenawalt.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dr. Faustus posted:

Before that, I wasted a lot of time looking for it under Games>New Releases and Marketplace in FM6.

I'm salty about the Force Feedback poo poo. What the ever-loving gently caress? FIX THAT poo poo.

A friend of mine, after all these years, finally convinced himself to buy a console and a copy of FM6. He's still bothering me about the difference between Live Gold and VIP. I have explained VIP, Season Passes, and Expansion DLC like the Porsche Pack and the NASCAR pack to him, and he's still struggling with the cost structure. The idea of paid DLC for an expensive game is pissing him off (he's a PC gaming guy).

I don't blame him, I could only tell him that it's standard practice now.

Ninja: At least I talked him out of buying used or refurbished. I told him he's gonna want that warranty and he should plan to use it this time next year if he hasn't already.

Show him iRacing. Forza is pennies compared to that. A subscription plus having to buy all the tracks and cars after the initial few you get for signing up. It's probably close to $2k now plus then you still have to pay the sub.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

iRacing should drop the sub, it doesn't make any sense to have that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I said come in! posted:

iRacing should drop the sub, it doesn't make any sense to have that.

It does if people keep paying it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you do a few races a week in iRacing for at least 8 of each 12 week season, you can earn up to 10 dollars a season in participation credits. That's 40 dollars a year. Wait until the black friday say (end of November to beginning of December) and they have half price annual subscriptions. Aside from content, iRacing costs 5 dollars a year. So they've already gotten rid of the sub for dedicated players.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The new update has literally everything I wanted besides a single place to see the stats on all my shared tunes. This week's leagues either force you to tune up two classes or let you bring anything you want that can make 601-700. Great week for Forza!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I'm torn on what to think for the rolling starts, you're tighter than you are during normal starts headed to turn 1 and it's just chaos. I just had a race at Alps in which I went from 20th to 1st and won because of a 19 car pile up in turn 1. There must have been a bigger pile up after because only 3 cars finished (and there's a 90 second countdown). If you're looking for a Through the Pack achievement, well here you go.

I know not many people like Alps, but I like it because it's pure setting up each turn at nearly full speed and the NASCAR setups are really good for it. I beat my previous best time by ~2.5-3 seconds on Alps Full reverse. 1:40 something to 1:37 something.

Cojawfee posted:

If you do a few races a week in iRacing for at least 8 of each 12 week season, you can earn up to 10 dollars a season in participation credits. That's 40 dollars a year. Wait until the black friday say (end of November to beginning of December) and they have half price annual subscriptions. Aside from content, iRacing costs 5 dollars a year. So they've already gotten rid of the sub for dedicated players.

I need to give iRacing another try soon. It just seems weird that there are no barriers everywhere so all my brake points are hosed. That and the two rookies races I did I was wrecked immediately - like forza on the straight.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

lol, you have inspired me. :)

I see your tunes creeping into the Daytona Leaderboards - how many did you tune? There's at least 2 or 3 of them in the top 50 :haw:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

geeves posted:

I see your tunes creeping into the Daytona Leaderboards - how many did you tune? There's at least 2 or 3 of them in the top 50 :haw:

Pretty sure I only did 3. It's not too hard to tune it :D. It's just the engine swap and the fastest restricter plate. And then adjusting the gearing a little bit so you can hit 236mph on the backstretch of Daytona.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

geeves posted:

I know not many people like Alps, but I like it because it's pure setting up each turn at nearly full speed and the NASCAR setups are really good for it. I beat my previous best time by ~2.5-3 seconds on Alps Full reverse. 1:40 something to 1:37 something.

I thought most people liked Alps? It's not as great as Maple Valley or Camino were, but it's a fast track with good flow and a wonderfully dangerous high-speed section. The worst thing I can say about Alps is that I suck poo poo at it, but that's my own drat fault.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Pretty sure I only did 3. It's not too hard to tune it :D. It's just the engine swap and the fastest restricter plate. And then adjusting the gearing a little bit so you can hit 236mph on the backstretch of Daytona.

Pretty much what I did. Also dropped the aero to the minimum. I removed restrictor plates, used drag tires, weight reduction, etc. etc. to chase #1 in the NASCAR division.

He gets me on turn 1 every time. 3/10s off his pace; most on the first turn. My car is inside his ghost almost through the apex and he just moves a head toward the exit.

Cubey posted:

I thought most people liked Alps? It's not as great as Maple Valley or Camino were, but it's a fast track with good flow and a wonderfully dangerous high-speed section. The worst thing I can say about Alps is that I suck poo poo at it, but that's my own drat fault.

In MP, I hear a lot of people grumble when people vote for it. That it's "too easy"... then 1 or 2 players completely destroy everyone else. Same with Prague and Rio - with one person complaining about different surfaces acting differently. I don't know.

Rio Mountain with NASCARs needs to be a thing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Alps is a loving dope track. It's probably my most played track in all of Forza.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Dr. Faustus posted:

No, I had a few messages waiting but the DLC tab was blank!

I told him that, but he's my friend so I didn't call him a cheap bastard. I just said it was industry standard now and even EA Sports has stuff like this for PC games, etc. He's still going to go without and complain. I explained the benefits of VIP (esp. 2x XP and payouts, and how leveling up give you prize spins, but I don't know if I can convince him that it's worth it. Maybe it's not, to him.)

I am still at work so I haven't actually verified this for myself, but upthread, our friend said:

Your friend is going to love either E3 or TGS when they announce the XBone.5 hardware revision.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
O poo poo. I didn't even know about that. He's already ordered his. Nah, it doesn't matter. I tried to talk him into a 1TB and he bought the white Call of Duty 500GB bundle instead.

Also, when he learned VIP didn't expire and it could lead to in-franchise discounted or free stuff (say in FH3) he seemed to warm up to it.

Actually I'm the one who is going to be looking intently at this new hardware. I'm just dumb enough to get one if I think it's better (and I can go back to buying physical games again).

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Now put some nascars into Forza Horizon 3 so I can go muddin' in them.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

geeves posted:

Pretty much what I did. Also dropped the aero to the minimum. I removed restrictor plates, used drag tires, weight reduction, etc. etc. to chase #1 in the NASCAR division.

He gets me on turn 1 every time. 3/10s off his pace; most on the first turn. My car is inside his ghost almost through the apex and he just moves a head toward the exit.

Oh yes, I forgot that I dropped the aero down to minimum! I didn't even think about switching to drag tires (I mostly run the league with tire wear). What does that do for the speed / lap times in the regular hoppers?

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Dr. Faustus posted:

O poo poo. I didn't even know about that. He's already ordered his. Nah, it doesn't matter. I tried to talk him into a 1TB and he bought the white Call of Duty 500GB bundle instead.

Also, when he learned VIP didn't expire and it could lead to in-franchise discounted or free stuff (say in FH3) he seemed to warm up to it.

Actually I'm the one who is going to be looking intently at this new hardware. I'm just dumb enough to get one if I think it's better (and I can go back to buying physical games again).

Supposedly (nothing is confirmed), they and the PS4.5 are both going to provide EXTRA stuff on titles that support it (higher res, framerate, 3D, etc.) but titles will still run on the lower spec original release. I'm guessing that means a lot of 30fps 720p titles coming to both original platforms in the future.

All I've ever put time on on the XBone was Forza 6 and Tomb Raider. The other 90% of it's life it's just convenient voice control for my cable and netflix and I can't see how they could make it 'voicier' enough to warrant an upgrade.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Other than the 32X (yikes) is there any precedent to a console hardware revision producing better graphics or features (basically screwing the early-adopters)?
I don't know enough about consoles except that I bought that loving 32X because I believed the hype. I think it was later confirmed that it did gently caress-all. I didn't care because I bought my first Playstation soon after and the fun really began (Ridge Racer, Wip3Out, Doom and Doom II, Rage Racer, and, of course, Gran Turismo 1 & 2, etc.)

P.S. - I am a shameful gamer. I am seriously considering buying the new Doom for XBone. I've always had a "No First-Person Shooters on Console, PC Only" rule, but I broke that rule to get SW Battlefront (which is awesome on the home theater system but I am only playing the tutorials when I bother with it.) I doubt my old PC will run the new Doom, but it does look fun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The only thing I can think of outside handhelds is the 64DD. There's been peripherals and addons, and more feature additions when you go into handhelds (the TV out on the 3rd gen PSP, game downloads on the DSi, the New 3DS) but hardware revisions to boost performance has never taken on consoles. Because if you're buying a console you're doing so because you don't want it to be obsoleted within a few years. Plus anyone who actually gives a poo poo about having marginally better looking graphics is probably on PC anyway.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
There was the N64 expansion pack, too. I played the poo poo out of perfect dark which lost like 80 percent of its features if you didnt have it

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Gamecube>Wii>WiiU was kinda the same thing too, basically an upgraded version of the same hardware each time.

I really don't get why so many people seem to be making GBS threads their pants over the possibility of a mid-cycle refresh that's more meaningful than a die shrink. It's not like the games will get worse on the original revisions, they'll just have the opportunity to be better on the new ones.

I think part of it is some of the console diehards truly believe that PC gamers have to spend thousands of dollars to keep up (rather than the reality where a Core i5 2500K from 2011 is still within farting distance of top-end chips in most games) and fear that straw man belief coming true in their world.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

wolrah posted:

I think part of it is some of the console diehards truly believe that PC gamers have to spend thousands of dollars to keep up (rather than the reality where a Core i5 2500K from 2011 is still within farting distance of top-end chips in most games) and fear that straw man belief coming true in their world.

The belief really isn't too far fetched though is it? I mean that i5 chip itself still costs more or a little less than either one of the consoles. I don't really mind the added hardware being made for the consoles to keep them going for a little longer instead of them making this console gen last only a few years.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
PC gaming went from crazy money to crazy cheap early in the xbox360 era. I'm pretty sure my current computer was built to run FEAR 1 on full settings, and it still plays absolutely everything i throw at it. I couldnt imagine spending more than 600-800 dollars on a PC build. Sure you can spend more if you like spending money for nerd status, but you dont have to.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 19, 2016

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Look, if you just put your PC build in an empty cardboard box instead of buying a $200 case and download Windows via a torrent instead of paying for a licence, you can definitely save -$100 over the price of a similarly powerful gaming console.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ether Frenzy posted:

and download Windows via a torrent instead of paying for a licence,
:lol: Guess how much money it's worth to not run shady Chinese bootloaders?

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Other than the 32X (yikes) is there any precedent to a console hardware revision producing better graphics or features (basically screwing the early-adopters)?
I don't know enough about consoles except that I bought that loving 32X because I believed the hype. I think it was later confirmed that it did gently caress-all. I didn't care because I bought my first Playstation soon after and the fun really began (Ridge Racer, Wip3Out, Doom and Doom II, Rage Racer, and, of course, Gran Turismo 1 & 2, etc.)

P.S. - I am a shameful gamer. I am seriously considering buying the new Doom for XBone. I've always had a "No First-Person Shooters on Console, PC Only" rule, but I broke that rule to get SW Battlefront (which is awesome on the home theater system but I am only playing the tutorials when I bother with it.) I doubt my old PC will run the new Doom, but it does look fun.

Sony and MS both seem to be positioning their respective consoles as ways to access the platform instead of the platform themselves. Which is annoying, because the file-hosting services for games on both seem to be connected with a pair of 56k modems.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wolrah posted:

I really don't get why so many people seem to be making GBS threads their pants over the possibility of a mid-cycle refresh that's more meaningful than a die shrink. It's not like the games will get worse on the original revisions, they'll just have the opportunity to be better on the new ones.

I wouldn't be too sure of this. Hyrule Warriors on the old 3DS is a great example of what we could potentially be facing with a console half-step.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The argument about this extending the consoles lifespan doesn't really hold water with me when the last gen consoles ran for 8-9 years and the current gen isn't even at 3.

Cubey posted:

I wouldn't be too sure of this. Hyrule Warriors on the old 3DS is a great example of what we could potentially be facing with a console half-step.

This too, I remember everyone saying the New 3DS wouldn't affect anything and you could play all games fine on the regular 3DS. Now we have games labelled as New 3DS only and games that seemingly haven't been tested on the regular 3DS and have major technical issues as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

njsykora posted:

The argument about this extending the consoles lifespan doesn't really hold water with me when the last gen consoles ran for 8-9 years and the current gen isn't even at 3.

This too, I remember everyone saying the New 3DS wouldn't affect anything and you could play all games fine on the regular 3DS. Now we have games labelled as New 3DS only and games that seemingly haven't been tested on the regular 3DS and have major technical issues as a result.

That's like 1 or 2 games.

• Locked thread