Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Libluini posted:

I'm sceptical about features like that, even if you can somehow force your best friend to sign a bloodpact making him play the game as a fellow explorer for months, how often and how long can both of you actually play at the same time?

Also imagine you reach the other side of the galaxy after a couple weeks and your friend wants to play as a bounty hunter now. What do you do? Force him to wait until you get back? Do you commit suicide and eject all your stored data just so he can have fun?

Exploration and multicrew doesn't really seem like a good fit.

They won't force players who are multicrew on someone else's ship stick with them like that lmao not in a million years. You will be able to jump in and out, imagine the griefing potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
"Because you left dock with a friend and they are not online you cannot progress. Elite Dangerous will now exit."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

They won't force players who are multicrew on someone else's ship stick with them like that lmao not in a million years. You will be able to jump in and out, imagine the griefing potential.

That would be nice. Especially if you can do the same while being on the other side of the galaxy. Since I'm pretty sure not many explorers would make a month-long trip back just to jump into someone else's ship. :v:

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

TomR posted:

"Because you left dock with a friend and they are not online you cannot progress. Elite Dangerous will now exit."

"Can't engage FSD without your buddy Superfly"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"You must gather your party before venturing forth"

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Hey guys, did you know that apparently we have to unlock the privilege of buying the new huge guns in gimbal mount via CG?

And did you know that there'll be one for every weapon type?

This is it, this is peak :frontear:

Edit: I misunderstood how dumb this was. Paineframe tells me that "at tier two, huge gimballed pulse was unlocked. at tier four, huge gimballed burst was unlocked. if it had reached tier six, huge gimballed mc would've been unlocked". They told no one about this

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 19, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Chrysophylax posted:

Hey guys, did you know that apparently we have to unlock the privilege of buying the new huge guns in gimbal mount via CG?

Edit: I misunderstood how dumb this was. Paineframe tells me that "at tier two, huge gimballed pulse was unlocked. at tier four, huge gimballed burst was unlocked. if it had reached tier six, huge gimballed mc would've been unlocked". They told no one about this

:what:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Chrysophylax posted:

There HAS to be some internal fighting going on with what direction to take the game, there just has gotta be. Look at this poo poo lmao

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chrysophylax posted:

They told one random guy two days before the end of the CG, and that guy in turn told one thread in the brown sea that FDev personally told him that this was going to be the case and that it was okay for him to spread the word. Naturally nobody paid any attention to him, nor did they bother to spread the rumor

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Ok so here's the situation going into 2.1.

All of you who were expecting huge guns, now get gimballed Pulse Lasers and maybe huge multicannons. I say maybe because while bursts were unlocked, they don't work (but might be working in time for release), so they're subbing in multicannons.

There's a possibility that the other weapons may be unlockable in the future.

What the fuckkkkkkkkk

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 19, 2016

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

Chrysophylax posted:

All of you who were expecting huge guns, now get gimballed Pulse Lasers and maybe huge multicannons. I say maybe because while bursts were unlocked, they don't work (but might be working in time for release), so they're subbing in multicannons.

What the fuckkkkkkkkk

If there ever was a reward for poorly advertised poo poo, FDev would have gotten that easy.

Edit : praying for huge burst lasers to stay FUBAR until after 2.1

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
So they made the CG to unlock stuff for 2.1 on the live server while splitting the community between the Beta and the live game?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I want everyone who didn't fight this idea internally in Fdev to be fired.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Don't forget the other competing CGs, of which there were I believe 3.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There's no way that they won't appear in game. I guarantee that there'll be another CG some week before 2.1 to unlock the remaining weapons.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

hobbesmaster posted:

There's no way that they won't appear in game. I guarantee that there'll be another CG some week before 2.1 to unlock the remaining weapons.

Of course, the effort Frontier put into the game for the weapons won't be wasted. It's how this all came about that is the issue. Somehow, internally at Frontier, this choice to do it this way was OK'd and put forth. The environment that allowed this is the bad part because the silliness of this is off the charts.

I mean they told me I was going to have access to huge weapons in Elite 2.x and I've already earned the rank for the ships to mount them and the money to pay for them yet I have to earn the ability to buy them in the first place because :frontear:. It makes no sense even within the logic of the gameworld itself.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

KakerMix posted:

Of course, the effort Frontier put into the game for the weapons won't be wasted. It's how this all came about that is the issue. Somehow, internally at Frontier, this choice to do it this way was OK'd and put forth. The environment that allowed this is the bad part because the silliness of this is off the charts.

It's Fdev. They have never made an MMO before, and it really shows in this project.

Hopefully, they are learning as we move along (I mean, you cannot do worse than powerplay really).

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://eddb.io/station

Is not %100 but it's done me right enough times.

Nah, wasn't that one. It had a black and orange color scheme, more detail for systems, listed commodities stations had by value and who in the neighborhood would pay the highest for them, as well as outfitting and shipyard inventories. Also had some kinda roleplaying element where you could write captain's logs but I never got into that, I just used it for fast and easy shopping :v:

IAmTheRad posted:

Go shop at Yong mart for FAS armor. Seriously, that 15% discount is a huge boon. While it might be a couple of hours in a RES, it's still a couple of hours you will have back. Not to mention lower insurance costs for shopping at Yong-mart, since insurance is done by the cost of the things you put on your ship.

Nice, need to figure out where the closest Yong space is to Xihe :toot:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Nice, need to figure out where the closest Yong space is to Xihe :toot:

LHS 20 iirc.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Chrysophylax posted:

What the fuckkkkkkkkk

Phew, for a moment there I thought something was wrong since the 2.1 beta actually seems to be doing good, useful and sane things, I guess they kept all the insane developers on the live build.

This vaguely reminds me of the vanilla WoW thing where the developers thought it was a good idea to gate an entire new instance behind soul crushingly awful weeks / months of grinding, so it's not like this is a uniquely bad idea. That was actually worse because basically the entire server population had to grind and nobody got anything good out of it except for the single end game guild who built a magic mcguffin out of mashed up insect parts.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

This whole fiasco just smacks of malice. Someone at Frontier had to have known that the CG wasn't going well. That people weren't engaged. That should have raised some red flags. They should have said something on Twitter or Reddit about it but didn't. Anyone with a working brain should have known this would upset people. Someone knew all this, leaned back and said "well I guess they don't want it".

Maybe it wasn't malice, just incompetence. Probably both. I mean none of the people who are involved in the game noticed this. No one on Reddit, no one here...

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

RabidWeasel posted:

Phew, for a moment there I thought something was wrong since the 2.1 beta actually seems to be doing good, useful and sane things, I guess they kept all the insane developers on the live build.

This vaguely reminds me of the vanilla WoW thing where the developers thought it was a good idea to gate an entire new instance behind soul crushingly awful weeks / months of grinding, so it's not like this is a uniquely bad idea. That was actually worse because basically the entire server population had to grind and nobody got anything good out of it except for the single end game guild who built a magic mcguffin out of mashed up insect parts.

Ah.. yes... AQ..

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RabidWeasel posted:

Stock MMO infrastructure like instancing and practical grouping is hard, and makes the game go "Faster"

Padding things out with grind, timesinks, reputation loss, is easy! And makes the game "Last longer"

Even without any malice, it's easy to see why they keep falling on the far side of the "MMOs are grindy" side of the fence, rather than the "MMOs are Massivly Multiplayer" side. Because it's easier, and makes their game "last longer, more gameplay time is good right?".

Because it's easier to add NPC ships guarding planetary outposts, and makes things take longer "We're adding gameplay elements! AND balance! We do good :downs:" Meanwhile fixing escape pods missions failing the literal instant you take them, is probably harder to naildown as a bugfix, and would also make things go faster, and that's bad. Even though it already takes much longer to accomplish.

Half the brown sea's only response to that sort of thing being "Well, it's not ACTUALLY an MMO like your casual WoW :smug:" certainly doesn't help matters.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
That is loving stunning. There is no :frontear: big enough. What the christ.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

RabidWeasel posted:

nobody got anything good out of it except for the single end game guild who built a magic mcguffin out of mashed up insect parts.

Hahaha. Not even one best guild, one PERSON from that guild. I saw the McGuffin wielder of my server once, it was like finding a drat unicorn... This was in Cata I think, so at least 5 years later? Crazy fucker was still rocking the Scarab Lord title and riding around on his bug. Can't say I blame him

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Hahaha. Not even one best guild, one PERSON from that guild. I saw the McGuffin wielder of my server once, it was like finding a drat unicorn... This was in Cata I think, so at least 5 years later? Crazy fucker was still rocking the Scarab Lord title and riding around on his bug. Can't say I blame him
I can't blame him either. He'd apparently managed to talk a few dozen morons into working for him in a videogame.

A videogame that wasn't even EvE online!

timn
Mar 16, 2010

KakerMix posted:

There HAS to be some internal fighting going on with what direction to take the game, there just has gotta be. Look at this poo poo lmao

This for sure. It smacks of the left hand not talking to the right.

There's a well-intentioned thought in here somewhere about making the lead-up to 2.1 more interactive, but this is about as poorly thought out as it could get.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I just wish Fdev would stop bothering with their GCs. They're almost never interesting and the only way they can even get the community to notice them is to hold new content hostage behind them. It's pretty sad that someone's ego at FDev just can't handle the notion that Community Goals are a shitshow of uninspired, unfun gameplay, and they have to keep jamming them in with more and more absurd tier rewards.

They really need to hire people who understand fun. All they understand right now is GRIND IS GOOD

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I mean, CGs are a cool and good concept but they insist on running tons of lovely ones instead of making them actually interesting, presumably because they don't want to devote resources to thinking up and implementing fun new ideas.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

timn posted:

This for sure. It smacks of the left hand not talking to the right.

There's a well-intentioned thought in here somewhere about making the lead-up to 2.1 more interactive, but this is about as poorly thought out as it could get.

The fact that no one on Reddit or this thread picked up on the importance of that particular CG is all you need to know about how botched it was.

CG's in general aren't bad since they can focus the grind and you get bonus cash. This was an okay idea poorly executed.

Which will be on FDev's tombstone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KakerMix posted:

I mean they told me I was going to have access to huge weapons in Elite 2.x and I've already earned the rank for the ships to mount them and the money to pay for them yet I have to earn the ability to buy them in the first place because :frontear:. It makes no sense even within the logic of the gameworld itself.

You can still buy fixed huge lasers and multis! Anything more is a reward. :frontear:

musicshemale
Jan 28, 2012
I'm sorry for how dumb this sounds but I've had issues connecting with my brother. Could someone give me a step-by-step guide on how I would join up with another person and meet up? I honestly know that I'm something incredibly tiny wrong, but the UI in this game feels slightly overwhelming to me.

edit: I could totally be missing something small from the Wings tutorial in game, I'd just do better with a written step-by-step on top of that. He might've just gotten too annoyed too quickly for out-of-game reasons last time to keep testing but I'd really like to get it working.

musicshemale fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 20, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
So I've been reading up on the changes and such coming, and I'm concerned.

I'm not in the beta (or really interested in it), I've had the game for months but really just started playing it a couple weeks ago.

I like where the game is right now. I like that I can trade, explore, shoot dudes. I think it could use some refining, I think there's definitely room for that, especially with planetary explorations.

I certainly like new ships and new modules (who wouldn't?), and I even kind of like the idea that there are engineers that you can pay/influence to tweak things and get you more out of what you have.

But it seems like, with that, there's a random element, where I may as well just roll dice. It also seems like there's a lot of focus on this power-play stuff that I don't really get or care about. This weird "gating tech behind community goals" is off-putting to (even if they had told us all about it at first).

Mostly I'm ranting, but I guess I also want some feedback (preferably reassuring) from those in Beta that poo poo is for the better on the whole, and not a total poo poo-fest.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Well I felt like the beta was progressing well until gimbalgate :shrug:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well I felt like the beta was progressing well until gimbalgate :shrug:

The RNG stuff isn't over-the-top?

I like the concept of engineers in that it could make my ship mine. I know it won't be entirely unique, because there's some min-maxing involved, and there always is, but it seems like I could at least find the right parts to make it better fit my playstyle. If it's just random, it seems like I don't have much choice, and it isn't really my ship anymore.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

The RNG stuff isn't over-the-top?

I like the concept of engineers in that it could make my ship mine. I know it won't be entirely unique, because there's some min-maxing involved, and there always is, but it seems like I could at least find the right parts to make it better fit my playstyle. If it's just random, it seems like I don't have much choice, and it isn't really my ship anymore.

It is. And the fact that they seem to be doubling down on it is demoralizing.

I'm completely gaybones for this game and I'm getting worn down by the bad decisions.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

And you're not alone in that, even if browsing their forums is almost always a mistake. It seems like lots of people who are diehards don't like the RNG poo poo. That's what sparked my concerns in the first place.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm glad they're reaching a breaking point. Maybe this is what it will take to get them to stop making bafflingly stupid decisions in their always online singleplayer experience.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm completely gaybones for this game and I'm getting worn down by the bad decisions.

Yeah. Even though the flight model and sounds and such remain great, I'm tired of new features that are so grindy/irrelevant/poorly executed that they're not worth dealing with. PowerPlay was a big one, Engineers is looking that way too, and then smaller annoyances like how long it takes to get up to speed when supercruising away from a planet surface (I don't care how "realistic" it is). And other poo poo like a effectively increasing grind by making NPCs much harder to kill (not inherently bad) without increasing the bounty payouts to compensate. And of course there are dipshits on their forums who defend these things by saying, effectively, "it upsets me when people treat Elite like a video game and not like a simulated job."

Very frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Shine posted:

Yeah. Even though the flight model and sounds and such remain great, I'm tired of new features that are so grindy/irrelevant/poorly executed that they're not worth dealing with. PowerPlay was a big one, Engineers is looking that way too, and then smaller annoyances like how long it takes to get up to speed when supercruising away from a planet surface (I don't care how "realistic" it is). And other poo poo like a effectively increasing grind by making NPCs much harder to kill (not inherently bad) without increasing the bounty payouts to compensate. And of course there are dipshits on their forums who defend these things by saying, effectively, "it upsets me when people treat Elite like a video game and not like a simulated job."

Very frustrating.

This is an excellent summary and that same feeling is why I'm still parked at Beagle Point. I love this game and want to continue loving it, but 50 hours of grind to get back to a content center of even more grind... hard to swallow

Edit: oh and if I want to get an actually decent payout for all that trouble through Li Yong-Rui, more grind!

• Locked thread