Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Morter posted:

All this talk about the suit being reverse-engineered is something I don't agree with now that I take a quick glance over the Doom Marine codex.

In particular, they say they only did tolerance tests with it, but it couldn't be "activated" without the Doom Marine. Also, in the second entry, the picture is clearly of Doomguy in the exact same suit (as opposed to an older suit that was later 'modernized'), so whatever you're wearing is the last thing he wore before he entombed, for sure. Nothing UAC related.

The Praetor Suit is from the alternate universe UAC that the Doom Guy came from (in Doom 1, 2 and 64), upgraded with hellish powers during his millenia killing demons.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Isn't Doom 64 an alternate sequel to snes doom and not doom 2 (which didn't happen for nintendo)

No, as Doom SNES is just an abbreviated version of Doom 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

MisterBibs posted:

The funniest thing about the plot of this game is that you could totally argue that with the mentioning of countless other worlds, Hell isn't literal hell, it's just some other dimension, and the "demons" are just aliens with a penchant for absorbing other realities into their own.

... like the books! :tinfoil:

It's like the old quote about technology and magic: if you've got a parallel dimension filled with horned/hooved entities that want to corrupt and assimilate the world you know, torture you forever and use your blood to draw arcane sigils on the walls, what's the difference? :v: The only big distinction from "literal Hell" in my mind is that there's no real evidence as far as I know that people in the Doom universe go to Doom's hell when they die, Doom 2's ending scroll notwithstanding. Well, obviously if you die at the hands of a demon or by being sucked into a portal, it's decently plausible that you'll spend eternity in Hell, but I'm talking about stuff like someone dying in their bed back on Earth while all this is going on.

The thing with the books was that they were literally Star Trek style space aliens who faked up the whole thing, which isn't the case at all here, not that I think you were seriously arguing that :v:

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

So,does anyone know how to get a smooth 60 FPS on this? My rig is constantly dipping in the 30-40 range,no matter what I do. I have an i7-4790 CPU,8 gigs of RAM,and a GTX 970 graphics card,if it helps.

You shouldn't be having problems really. I have the same card and a 6700K, and it never once dipped below 1080p/60 on Ultra (not Nightmare) settings. Are you using the 365.19 drivers? Also which resolution are you running?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
In conclusion:

John Romero posted:

There was never a name for the DOOM marine because it's supposed to be YOU

If you've played the other DooM games, then yes, The DooM marine is the same one from earlier games. :eng101:

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

VolticSurge posted:

So,does anyone know how to get a smooth 60 FPS on this? My rig is constantly dipping in the 30-40 range,no matter what I do. I have an i7-4790 CPU,8 gigs of RAM,and a GTX 970 graphics card,if it helps.

What settings and resolution are you running it at?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe they are playing a FPS using a controller for the first time? I guess the first time I played a FPS with a controller (probably Halo 1) it looked something like that.

it's not just the lovely quality of play, it's the fact that they decided that it was good enough

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JerryLee posted:

The only big distinction from "literal Hell" in my mind is that there's no real evidence as far as I know that people in the Doom universe go to Doom's hell when they die, Doom 2's ending scroll notwithstanding. Well, obviously if you die at the hands of a demon or by being sucked into a portal, it's decently plausible that you'll spend eternity in Hell, but I'm talking about stuff like someone dying in their bed back on Earth while all this is going on.

Yeah, I actually really like this ambiguity. Are they devils from hell? Are they aliens from spacehell? Who cares!

And that's exactly what I didn't like about Diablo 3's plot. Having an Angel cut off his wings and turn human directly said that "heaven is the afterlife, not just a parallel plane with alien-angels on it" and that screwed things up for me a little.

Not that I have a problem with it being literal hell, just I think its way cooler to leave it open and not say for sure.

If you can just walk to hell and talk to dead people, it just kinda makes the whole "death" thing a lot less meaningful. See: Dragon Ball Z :cheeky:

VolticSurge posted:

In case you didn't notice, the game has a lot of graphical settings. How you configure those is obviously going to make a gigantic difference in performance.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

The thing with the books was that they were literally Star Trek style space aliens who faked up the whole thing, which isn't the case at all here, not that I think you were seriously arguing that :v:

It will never not be perversely awesome to me that in the novels, all the events of Earth were a low-level skirmish between two races who had differing literary philosophies of religious documents.

Gay But Crush Puss
May 19, 2016

by zen death robot

Morter posted:

Reminder, you can find the Soul Cube from Doom 3 sitting on a desk in this game.

In conclusion: There's much more evidence that the past Dooms are canonical/in-universe than it being a straight reboot.

Oh that's definitely a critical plot point and not a loving Easter egg you mongoloid.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

let me know when Kojima pens Doom 5 tia

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

They really need to sort out the weapon balance in multiplayer. Every time I play I want to try out various loadouts, but then I realise I may as well just switch to the chaingun and have guaranteed kills. It is ridiculously powerful.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

TheGreySpectre posted:

What settings and resolution are you running it at?

Well,most of the graphical stuff is set to medium,the resolution is 16:9 on a 1920x1080 monitor. Motion Blur is set to high. Motion Blur Quality is set to Ultra by default. Decal Filtering is set to Anisotropic4X,and all of the other options are on. I tried to turn off anti-aliasing to see if it would help. It doesn't.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gay But Crush Puss posted:

Oh that's definitely a critical plot point and not a loving Easter egg you mongoloid.

The origins of several monsters in this game contradict the classic Doom games etc. It doesn't all add up, it's fine. I don't see why Doom 3 couldn't have "happened" too, but really I don't see why it would be something you're so mad about. This game is a Mad Max: Fury Road-ish sequel as somebody else put it.

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

They really need to sort out the weapon balance in multiplayer. Every time I play I want to try out various loadouts, but then I realise I may as well just switch to the chaingun and have guaranteed kills. It is ridiculously powerful.

I think the super shotgun / repeater rifle combo is better than the chaingun in close range and long range. At first I thought the chaingun was ruling everything, after a bit it seems like just another weapon. Plus stuff like rocket splash damage around corners etc, chaingun has it's weaknesses. If you stick with the chaingun in a close range fight against a super shotty for example.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 19, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I actually really like this ambiguity. Are they devils from hell? Are they aliens from spacehell? Who cares!

I don't think it's even ambiguity in my mind, just that the distinction really makes no difference. They're inhuman entities from a place with different physical laws and a culture based around death, destruction, degradation and torture. They correspond to a lot of what human culture describes as satanic or demonic, but they clearly have a sort of "reality" in a scientific sense that can be studied and systematized to at least some extent.

It's a sci-fi cliche of sorts, but in my headcanon for the Doom universe, the history of human depictions of hell is based upon isolated, limited encounters with the extradimensional hell. Things like the hells of various religious traditions, the Lesser Key of Solomon, etc. are the results of premodern/early modern humans somehow having glimpses of hell and trying to parse it, the same way as the UAC ultimately does with their science. The "devils from hell" of Earth mythology thus are the "aliens from spacehell," and vice versa.

MisterBibs posted:

It will never not be perversely awesome to me that in the novels, all the events of Earth were a low-level skirmish between two races who had differing literary philosophies of religious documents.

Yeah, that premise/story could (IMO) have been a lot better received if it were more competently executed and, most importantly, not tied like a millstone around the neck of the hapless Doom IP. Same with the Doom movie. I don't hate them as sci-fi ideas, I hate the chucklefuck(s) who decided to piss them all over a perfectly good story about demons.

Gay But Crush Puss
May 19, 2016

by zen death robot
I'm just tired of people looking at Easter eggs and the next thing you know they're making YouTube videos with "silly" transitions talking about how DooM3 and 4 share the same universe that have 300k views.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Jesus, what kind of sorcery did id pull where enabling motion blur makes the game actually seem faster, smoother, and more responsive than without it.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Morter posted:

Okay so here's one more tidbit from me

So this leads to an interesting conundrum. You run into the Icon of Sin at one point--seemingly not deploying demons as it did in Doom 2. So it the destroyed body of the boss that the Doom 2 Marine wrecked? Or was it a functional/living demon that was just sitting there?

Pretty sure another text that basically says The Icon of Sin is sleeping and will eventually be awakened, or people are afraid of waking it or something. I need to re-read the texts.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

It's tucked out of a way as a subtle reference, and I agree that they probably didn't intend it as a plot masterstroke, but it's at least plausible that the Soul Cube could actually have been retrieved as an artifact and be under study by the Lazarus Project, as opposed to something like the Doomguy figurines that probably aren't, canonically, carefully hidden around the UAC facilities and Hell.

On that note, was I the only one who spent the entire game expecting some sort of easter-egg reference to Twitch Plays Pokemon, based on the name of a certain major artifact?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VolticSurge posted:

Well,most of the graphical stuff is set to medium,the resolution is 16:9 on a 1920x1080 monitor. Motion Blur is set to high. Motion Blur Quality is set to Ultra by default. Decal Filtering is set to Anisotropic4X,and all of the other options are on. I tried to turn off anti-aliasing to see if it would help. It doesn't.

Turning off AA doesn't help because you're probably set to use temporal anti-aliasing, which like FXAA barely uses any power. MSAA looks better but uses TONS of power, if you were using MSAA turning that off would definitely help. But its TXAA by default which is cheap so you can leave it on.

Turn motion blur quality and shadows to high or even medium and watch your frame rate shoot up. Same with directional occlusion.

JerryLee posted:

It's a sci-fi cliche of sorts, but in my headcanon for the Doom universe, the history of human depictions of hell is based upon isolated, limited encounters with the extradimensional hell. Things like the hells of various religious traditions, the Lesser Key of Solomon, etc. are the results of premodern/early modern humans somehow having glimpses of hell and trying to parse it, the same way as the UAC ultimately does with their science. The "devils from hell" of Earth mythology thus are the "aliens from spacehell," and vice versa.

Yeah, like the Marvel version of the Norse Gods being aliens, but humanity thinking they're gods and having lore about them because of their limited interactions with god-like beings. I think that's a cool way to go.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Gay But Crush Puss posted:

You're probably right that it's insignificant to the plot, but I do want to be pedantic and say easter eggs are traditionally hidden.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I notice the Doom3 Hell Knight in this one, he's just wandering around like he owns the place!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VolticSurge posted:

The biggest single thing you can do to increase performance is reduce the texture quality, DOOM has some majorly hi-res textures that require 6GB of VRAM in Nightmare mode. Play around with that first and see how well you do. Anisotropic filtering is cheap on a GPU's budget and can be cranked up to 16x no probs.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, like the Marvel version of the Norse Gods being aliens, but humanity thinking they're gods and having lore about them because of their limited interactions with god-like beings. I think that's a cool way to go.

Not to disagree with you as such, since I think we're on the same essential wavelength, but I've found that I hate to have to use the term "alien" here because it encompasses both the (comparatively) prosaic sort of sci-fi, Star Trek or Star Wars aliens, and the horrifying Lovecraftian things whose ultimate origins lie outside familiar space and time. Doom's demons are definitely closer to the latter, though not fully Lovecraftian in the many-angled, bubbling nuclear chaos senses. Calling them simply "aliens" leaves too much room for people to misinterpret things in the direction of the former, in my experience, which is how you get things like the original four Doom novels.

Doom's demons are definitely demons in most senses of the word that have ever held meaning to humans; it's just that in the Doom universe, "demon" is a concept with a scientific reality.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Morter posted:

In conclusion:

If you've played the other DooM games, then yes, The DooM marine is the same one from earlier games. :eng101:

I like this explanation the best

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Combat shotgun beats the chaingun

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The biggest single thing you can do to increase performance is reduce the texture quality, DOOM has some majorly hi-res textures that require 6GB of VRAM in Nightmare mode. Play around with that first and see how well you do. Anisotropic filtering is cheap on a GPU's budget and can be cranked up to 16x no probs.

If you're running with the texture setting too high you'll get hitching as the game swaps stuff in from the hard drive, not FPS drops.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Buca di Bepis posted:

If you're running with the texture setting too high you'll get hitching as the game swaps stuff in from the hard drive, not FPS drops.

This would explain why (with my old, slow non-SSD drives) my hard drive is constantly churning.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
please black baby goku come in again and laugh at everyone discussing lore for shootyman origins in seriousness

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

VolticSurge posted:

Double your RAM.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Colon Semicolon posted:

please black baby goku come in again and laugh at everyone discussing lore for shootyman origins in seriousness

You're a grown goddamn man calling FPS games shootyman, how do you live with yourself soldier?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Also real AA (and not just that lame post processing thing) is always a significant FPS hit so if you're not seeing any improvement by turning it off then it's not the video card holding you back.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Alright,thanks for the advice! Turning the texture quality down seems to help. But I'll see if I can get more RAM in the future.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Jesus, what kind of sorcery did id pull where enabling motion blur makes the game actually seem faster, smoother, and more responsive than without it.

Its really drat good motion blur. I turn motion blur off in almost every game because like you said, it reduces responsiveness, but somehow it just makes everything feel really smooth and slick in Doom. Its great. My best guess is the way they're applying it is somewhat intelligent, based on object positions and the velocity of your camera and stuff, and so that makes it feel better than just a really naive full-screen blur.

Return to form for Id Software, being the top dogs of FPS tech.

Apparently Id went and hired a bunch of Crytek guys after Carmack left, and that shows.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

My lore dump is just one interpretation, and I appreciate that. However, I don't think it follows that doom guy is originally from Argent D'Nur. True, he's a member (and possibly the leader, as he "wears the crown") of the night sentinels, but as I outlined in my post, I believe he stumbled across them in his travels. It is explicitly stated that the Doom Slayer traveled through both space and time. I also don't believe that he is the betrayer of the night sentinels, who bargained for his son to be resurrected, because the betrayer and doom guy explicitly meet each other. I see some people interpreting these as two different individuals, a betrayer of the night sentinels and a betrayer of the demons, but the same names ("the betrayer" and "the wretch") are used to describe both. I believe the betrayer provided doomguy, head badass of the night sentinels, with his armor as retribution for his sins, as he himself could not defeat the demon army.

When I get home, I will dump some more information from the codex; there's some important bits not in the slayer's testaments that I already posted. Also, the key thing I think people are missing is the part where time and space are being explicitly hosed with.

Edit: also the part where the ending of doom 64, where doomguy decides to stay in hell, is directly referenced as happening to the Doom Slayer (when he "chooses the path of torment").

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 19, 2016

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Ostentatious posted:

So that's why Doom Guy never talks, he's just trying not to kill everyone on Mother Base.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Ostentatious posted:

: DoomGuy Pulls the switch, gets thrown into the room with the CyberDemon.:

:Close up on DoomGuy's mask:

:Cut in with quick shots of the metal parts of the CyberDemon. Going from Arm -> Leg -> Heart:

Doom Guy: Metal Gear?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Doom, can love bloom when we rip and tear?

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heavy Metal posted:

You're a grown goddamn man calling FPS games shootyman, how do you live with yourself soldier?

Good one.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Look, I'm not exaggerating when I say the success of your mission hinges on how you use that super shotgun. Don't think of it as just another shotgun. Treat it with love, don't be rough... ok?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Funkmaster General posted:

Doom 1/3, 2, and 64 all happened. At the end of 64, as is stated in that game, Doomguy decides "gently caress it, I'm staying in Hell so I can keep killing demons." He sticks around, wandering Hell and killing demons for a really long time (described as "eons"). Hell exists outside of time and is attached to multiple different dimensions. Doomguy is the only one, other than demons, that is able to traverse out of Hell safely, and visits multiple dimensions and timelines while on his demon eradicating spree. Along the way, he encounters a world called Argent D'Nur, where a group of warriors known as the Night Sentinels exists to protect a group of entities known as the Wraiths. He joins their order and helps them to defeat the demons attacking their world, using a magic sword they give him called the Crucible, but ends up failing because a Night Sentinel traitor strikes a deal with the demons to resurrect his dead son in exchange for the location of the Wraiths. The demons kill the wraiths, turn the guy's dead son into a demon, and unleash the Icon of Sin onto Argent D'nur, defeating the Night Sentinels and taking over the world, absorbing it into Hell where it becomes the Well, a massive source of energy.(The traitor is also apparently the one who gives Doomguy his armor, but this detail is a little odd to me because I'm not sure why Doomguy would be friends with a traitor to his group, how the traitor has access to high-tech armor in what seems like a medieval world, or why he would give said armor to someone else in the first place.) Doomguy is super pissed that his bros were defeated and starts killing demons randomly again, and the angels are like "woah, that guy is good at killing demons" so they give him magical powers of speed, strength, and the ability to absorb health and ammo from fallen foes. After killing demons for more eons, a big badass named the Titan demon emerges and tries to kill Doomguy, but he defeats the Titan Demon, too, and the army of followers he was leading run into a temple. Doomguy follows them into it, but it was a trap and the temple collapses onto him, trapping him and is turned into a massive stone sarcophagus.

-game plot starts here-

So the UAC on mars, either in an alternate timeline/dimension or some far-flung future where the events of the previous games don't matter because the earth has died and "reset," is led by a guy named Samuel Hayden, and while exploring they find a weird place called the Ardent Fracture, which spews energy into the air. The fracture turns out to be a dimensional crack between Mars and Hell, and the energy is from the Well in Argent D'nur. They also find some stone tablets with bits of weird language on them. Sam sends this information to his collegue Olivia on Earth, who is intrigued and comes to work at the UAC. After observing some of his employee's reactions to the tablets, he decides they have a corrupting influence and develops a cybernetic body that replaces most of his brain, preserving only his personality and cognitive reasoning, to prevent being corrupted, and uses brain cancer as an excuse to implant himself into it. Olivia is chosen to head up the research of the argent fracture because he thinks she is strong enough to resist the corruption due to her refusal to take painkillers despite a constant pain from her muscle degeneration and exoskeleton (she says she needs her mind to remain sharp), but he's wrong, and she gets corrupted. Samuel develops a way to harness and transfer energy from the Argent Fracture to power the UAC and all of Earth, while Olivia continues research on the other dimension. She mounts some manned expeditions, and this is when they discover that the other dimension is literally Hell, but at this point the whole division is so corrupted that they don't care. Sam decides to join one of the first expeditions, and they end up discovering doomguy's sarcophagus (along with a second where his armor is stored), and return it to Mars. He survives the teleport back because of his robotic body, but nobody else does (and by the end of the game doomguy is still the only human who has ever returned from Hell). When the stone tablets reveal exactly who Doomguy is, Olivia tries to get rid of him because she is corrupted and knows he will ruin her plans to unleash the forces of hell upon Mars and eventually Earth. Sam keeps him around because he suspects such an invasion may occur and that he can stop it if it does. Olivia keeps up her research, pulling demons from Hell and imprisoning them for research. Said research starts getting out of hand; demons are being equipped with weapons and armor as though they were planned to be living battle tanks. Something goes wrong and a bunch of the captive demons get out. Olivia decides this is the perfect time to open a permanent portal from Hell to Mars, and at the same time, Doomguy wakes up.

-game starts here-

Doomguy wakes up and starts ripping and tearing. He encounters Sam and wants nothing to do with him, since he's still trying to justify his use of Hell energy and wants to maintain its production. Doomguy says gently caress that. He learns what little he needs to know about what's going on and heads to kill Olivia before she can open the hell portal, but ultimately fails. After getting sucked into Hell and returning, Sam forcefully implants Doomguy with a tethering device that allows him to pull him to a location at will, so that he can remove him from Hell. After heading to Olivia's lab to find her research, Sam learns of the Crucible (Doomguy's magic sword), and needs to send him back to Hell to get it. Because Doomguy destroyed the argent energy production, opening a new portal requires the destruction of the facility housing the UAC's AI, VEGA. Doomguy does the deed, but backs Vega up to a memory stick beforehand. He travels back to hell, obtains the crucible, and uses it to free the souls of the Wraiths still trapped in Argent D'Nur (with some mild help from the ghosts of his Night Sentinel buddies), which shuts down the Well and thus the energy powering the open portals on Mars (as well as the Argent Fracture itself). Meanwhile Olivia, for having helped the Demons accomplish their goals, is "rewarded" by being transformed into a reincarnation of the Spider Mastermind, who Doomguy defeats again. Sam uses the tether device to pull Doomguy back to Mars, steals the crucible, and announces his intention to reopen the fracture and once again siphon energy from Hell. Then he uses the tether again to send Doomguy somewhere else. Cut to black, credits roll.

That last block of text is missing a lot of details about what happens during the game, but it hits the major parts.

What the fuuuuck.

He's supposed to be a mortal space marine fueled by piss and rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

is the soundtrack anywhere for purchase or download? i can't seem to find it. it's excellent.