Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
This wouldn't have happened with a Boeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The pilots were so caught up trying to diagnose a warning message from the flight computer they didn't notice their aircraft corkscrewing out of control and plunging into the ocean

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah, the rudder would have just fallen off.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Not even a 777-200ER?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Are Airbuss as tragomatic as everyone makes them out to be?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/733289605924032512

Boy howdy do I love planecrash news coverage :geno:

fake edit:
https://twitter.com/OffensiveAvGeek/status/733302213649403904
Even the lower third in that is annoying

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/733289605924032512

Boy howdy do I love planecrash news coverage :geno:

fake edit:
https://twitter.com/OffensiveAvGeek/status/733302213649403904
Even the lower third in that is annoying

That's actually an improvement for Fox News; at least this time the plane they used has the correct number of engines.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Can we blame this on Airbus programming yet, or do we have to wait for the FDR and everything else?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

fickle poofterist posted:

Are Airbuss as tragomatic as everyone makes them out to be?
Nope, but to grossly oversimplify, they do WAY more of the flying for the pilots than other aircraft. This can result in pilots getting lazy and sloppy, since they know the aircraft will just do the right thing no matter what they do. This has led to a pattern of accidents where for some reason the automation fails, then the pilots either do something stupid or straight-up forget that they are supposed to fly the airplane (rather than the airplane fly itself) and crash. Airbus thinks the automation is a net win for safety, others think it could be done better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Pilots don't have enough familiarity with Alternate Law, basically.

Statistically, there's no difference between the safety records of Airbus and Boeing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Did anyone blame alternate law for MH370?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A fireball, a sudden descent and Egypt Air does hint at terror. But they were flying out of Paris, I would assume CDG has pretty good security even if they don't in Cairo. Could be planted while in Cairo of course. Uncontained engine failure and wing damage is another option that fits with what we know so far.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, sounds like it'll either be a bomb or poo poo maintenance

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Alereon posted:

Nope, but to grossly oversimplify, they do WAY more of the flying for the pilots than other aircraft. This can result in pilots getting lazy and sloppy, since they know the aircraft will just do the right thing no matter what they do. This has led to a pattern of accidents where for some reason the automation fails, then the pilots either do something stupid or straight-up forget that they are supposed to fly the airplane (rather than the airplane fly itself) and crash. Airbus thinks the automation is a net win for safety, others think it could be done better.

What ever happened to the push (I think from the FAA or something) to tell companies to let pilots actually fly the loving aircraft again instead of being on AP basically from wheels up to minimums?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Delivery McGee posted:

The best flying boat that never was (well, actually, was in triplicate, but then BOAC took jets instead, and they rotted away in storage before they could find a buyer) was the Saunders-Roe Princess. And what a pretty princess she was:

That'd make a hell of a flying/floating palace.

The 50s A380? :pwn:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

What ever happened to the push (I think from the FAA or something) to tell companies to let pilots actually fly the loving aircraft again instead of being on AP basically from wheels up to minimums?

I wasn't aware of any such push, but if there was one, I would expect it to be vehemently opposed by the pilot's unions. Trying to get a pilot to accept an aircraft with an inoperative autopilot is like trying to feed a toddler something they don't want to eat.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I forget where I read it but it was a while back, I think after that airbus crash due to pitot icing, where people were calling for pilots to have to spend more time hand flying but it definitely wasn't a call to tear the autopilot out of the airplane.

I mean hell, I'm just now starting to take lessons for fun and I wouldn't want to do super long flights without an AP so I could go hands off at times. The last thing I would want would be to have do that every day for a living without being able to push the button and let the AP do the flying while handling all the rest of the workload that comes with the job.

But the flip side is it's apparently at the point where commercial pilots end up being kinda poo poo at flying their aircraft second they have to turn off the AP anywhere but just before crossing the fence.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

I forget where I read it but it was a while back, I think after that airbus crash due to pitot icing, where people were calling for pilots to have to spend more time hand flying but it definitely wasn't a call to tear the autopilot out of the airplane.

I mean hell, I'm just now starting to take lessons for fun and I wouldn't want to do super long flights without an AP so I could go hands off at times. The last thing I would want would be to have do that every day for a living without being able to push the button and let the AP do the flying while handling all the rest of the workload that comes with the job.

But the flip side is it's apparently at the point where commercial pilots end up being kinda poo poo at flying their aircraft second they have to turn off the AP anywhere but just before crossing the fence.

US airlines aren't the ones crashing when this stuff happens.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Found one of the articles, from back in 2013

Here's the official word from the FAA, but I remember hearing somewhere that they were at least considering going beyond just suggesting

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Autopilot is mandatory at many popular cruising altitudes anyway. Minor oscillations up in the flight levels can result in some scary situations when you're only separated by 1,000ft vertically with the guy heading opposite direction and with a 1,000kt closure rate.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Mandatory per airline SOP or FARs?

I love it when I see another jet pass below ~10 degrees off our course at a similar speed and you can watch it for a while before its too small to keep track of.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I cannot hear things like "I'm tired and lazy, I only ever use the autopilot now. Keeps life easy!" without thinking of "I'm such an idiot when it comes to math *lol* :angel:"

vessbot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 19, 2016

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

Mandatory per airline SOP or FARs?

I love it when I see another jet pass below ~10 degrees off our course at a similar speed and you can watch it for a while before its too small to keep track of.

There's a high traffic density standard for most E(?) class airspace in N. America and Europe that allows 1000ft of separation but requires autopilot for the reasons stated above.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

There's a high traffic density standard for most E(?) class airspace in N. America and Europe that allows 1000ft of separation but requires autopilot for the reasons stated above.

Cool. I didn't know the separation rules came with the autopilot requirement.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

Cool. I didn't know the separation rules came with the autopilot requirement.

It's called RVSM airspace, for "reduced vertical separation minima (or minimums)". If certain systems, including the autopilot, aren't working, you can't use it. Doesn't mean you can't fly, just you can't use the tasty fuel saving upper altitudes. So if you're on a flight and you notice from the moving map or crew announcement that you're cruising at 29000', something is probably not working.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Jonny Nox posted:

Is this different for military aircraft?

Not asking based on any sort of experience, but I know that military aircraft get special status in some situations (like the fact that you can fly a 50,000lb+ fighter jet with only one pilot), but still have to comply for other things (communicating and obeying with air traffic control unless there's some sort of special circumstance). As a result, whenever I hear/read about some sort of air traffic rule the first question in my head is if it also applies to military flights.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ApathyGifted posted:

Is this different for military aircraft?

Not asking based on any sort of experience, but I know that military aircraft get special status in some situations (like the fact that you can fly a 50,000lb+ fighter jet with only one pilot), but still have to comply for other things (communicating and obeying with air traffic control unless there's some sort of special circumstance). As a result, whenever I hear/read about some sort of air traffic rule the first question in my head is if it also applies to military flights.

Yes. Military aircraft are one of the exceptions to being negative RVSM in RVSM airspace.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
And non-RVSM aircraft in RVSM airspace sucks because now you need 2,000ft vertical separation between them and the aircraft above and/or below them, if they're going to pass too close laterally.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

fknlo posted:

Yes. Military aircraft are one of the exceptions to being negative RVSM in RVSM airspace.
Not all military aircraft--at least some civilian-derived airframes have the RVSM certification requirement.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

what the heck is going on with AA's MD80s today, that's one flight cancelled and another delayed 2 hours because of mechanical issues.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Karma for not selling them to Delta

alternate answer: that's the level of service you deserve flying a lovely plane like the MD80 :mad:

(before the MD80 squad gets in here, my hate is 87% the fact that I am always, always, always stuck in the back row of these things.)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I like McDonnell Douglas' civilian designs but I will be the first to say they were generally terrible.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Were MD80 series aircraft ever 4 abreast in coach?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

standard.deviant posted:

Not all military aircraft--at least some civilian-derived airframes have the RVSM certification requirement.

Our rule book says anything the DOD owns is allowed in.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jealous Cow posted:

Were MD80 series aircraft ever 4 abreast in coach?

As far as I know, no - only 2x2 in first, 2x3 in coach. Every model I've seen has that 2x3 layout for coach whether or not they have a first-class cabin, I should say. I did a little research and couldn't find any MD80 that was 2x2 in the main cabin.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Psion posted:

Karma for not selling them to Delta

alternate answer: that's the level of service you deserve flying a lovely plane like the MD80 :mad:

(before the MD80 squad gets in here, my hate is 87% the fact that I am always, always, always stuck in the back row of these things.)

87%? It's because you're always riding the short bus.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Forums Terrorist posted:

I like Douglas' civilian designs but I will be the first to say they were generally terrible after they merged with McDonnell.

Fixed that for you.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

MrYenko posted:

Our rule book says anything the DOD owns is allowed in.
Somehow our program office did not get that memo, because I have spent more hours than I care to recall in the back of the plane trying to get the RVSM recorder to work properly.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

standard.deviant posted:

Somehow our program office did not get that memo, because I have spent more hours than I care to recall in the back of the plane trying to get the RVSM recorder to work properly.

A lot of it depends on if you're "obviously" military. Callsign and type obviously play a huge role in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think I just saw a Herc fly past my balcony on approach to Toronto Island, then turn south across the lake. Must have come from CFB Trenton.
e-nothing on flightaware, so military makes sense. 4 engine prop job, with a pod between the engines on each wing, and a single white nav light on the tail. Can't think what else it could be.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 20, 2016