Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Jeez, Dalton Farm feels pretty huge. I had no idea where the two settlers that came free with it were until I realized there was an entire beach area I didn't know existed.

Yeah, I'm using that place as my primary base of operations, I just slapped down the essentials to keep the 2 settlers happy and built a shack and workbenches for myself, so far I'm enjoying Far Harbor and even with Twin Gattling Laser Ada at my side, its still a tough DLC even though I am on Very Hard difficulty.

Also Feral Ghoul Reavers are dime a dozen, they are everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ApathyGifted posted:

That idea makes no sense because the purpose of the mind-wipe is to forget that you were a synth, thereby making it impossible for other people to figure it out without just killing you and digging out that synth component.

Mind-wiping somebody into thinking they didn't get the mind wipe is a lot of work to basically just leave them exactly the same as they were before.

Armchair games writers are not really any better than professional games writers, I am shocked and surprised.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

Armchair games writers are not really any better than professional games writers, I am shocked and surprised.

They're unfortunately not much worse though

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Writing seems like something people are born with or people randomly get struck with the skill.

Because full time writers at Bioware or regular developers doing part time writing in (most other companies) Seem to get the same results anyway.

Professional writers just seem to bring more quantity. And sometime smugness.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've never felt invested in the ending of any Fallout game yet so I don't know why 4 should be any different. It's not half as bad as 3 was and I still love that game.

I respect expecting good writing out of games, but Fallout has never provided that nor does it pretend to. It's not what Fallout is really about. I like a well written, poignant game but not from a game I intend to play like Minecraft Borderlands

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Two-Shot is a poo poo modifier and I hate it.

two shot is the best modifier though? whats better than straight up double damage on a sniper.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Roobanguy posted:

two shot is the best modifier though? whats better than straight up double damage on a sniper.

It's slightly worse than double damage on full health because of the way it is calculated (straight up x2 versus (base damage+current damage)/2) but on a non-bolt action the two-shot modifier wins by a huge margin

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Roobanguy posted:

It kinda fucks you over as far as weapon choice goes. Like, why use other guns with different effects when Overseer's Guardian trumps all of them except for maybe the Gauss Rifle in terms of effectiveness and sheer damage output?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

QuantaStarFire posted:

It kinda fucks you over as far as weapon choice goes. Like, why use other guns with different effects when Overseer's Guardian trumps all of them except for maybe the Gauss Rifle in terms of effectiveness and sheer damage output?

i can agree with this, and i stopped using the overseer's guardian because it was just ridiculous compared to the other guns.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Roobanguy posted:

i can agree with this, and i stopped using the overseer's guardian because it was just ridiculous compared to the other guns.

Once a mod comes out to fix the lever-action so it hits harder and can be loaded one shot at a time I'll probably switch to that full time. Love that poo poo

OG is pretty much straight up OP but the pickings are slim if you're a semi-auto kind of d00d like me. If I got a wounding combat rifle I'd probably use that though because that's probably a lot more useful for no power armor survival

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I once got a two shot double barrel shotgun and was super happy until I realised that even with the long barrel the spread was covering most of the screen :(

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Pray n Spray is my go-to weapon because I love watching all the poo poo blow up. It's also useful blowing the legs off enemies at a distance. The rest of the time I use a silenced, two shot, tricked out 10mm. Sometimes I break out the two shot .50 sniper rifle or the Overseer's guardian to mix it up but %90 of the time I am tap firing the explosive sub-machine gun.

I did a little Far Harbor before coming into work and I'm having fun with it. Tonight I'll sink my teeth deeper and see what is what. One thing, though, when I went to Diamond City for the start, Piper's little sister yelled "Piper!" and ran out of the city. I wondered what was up with that, so I went to Croup Manor (where Piper has been assigned guard duty) and Piper was gone. Anyone know if this is part of the DLC or some other quest, or something? Spoilered just in case.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Seesh, buggy as ever. Far harbor crashed in less than five minutes after reaching the far harbor. May just work on other games and wait for a patch. (ps4 btw)

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

OwlFancier posted:

I once got a two shot double barrel shotgun and was super happy until I realised that even with the long barrel the spread was covering most of the screen :(

Your happiness was based on the placebo effect, because a two shot shotgun only adds one pellet ("Fires an additional projectile"). It's basically the worst of all the legendary mods for a shotgun.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Barometer posted:

One thing, though, when I went to Diamond City for the start, Piper's little sister yelled "Piper!" and ran out of the city. I wondered what was up with that, so I went to Croup Manor (where Piper has been assigned guard duty) and Piper was gone. Anyone know if this is part of the DLC or some other quest, or something? Spoilered just in case.

When that happened to me, it was right after I finished the main story, and Piper was up at the Mayor's office raising hell.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Officer Farva posted:

Ran into a glitch in Far Harbor. It was after the section towards the beginning where you hide and listen in on a conversation. Not sure what happened, but my character is permanently invisible now.

I hit this glitch before the patch. I have a Chameleon piece of armor and it perma-stealthed me for the night. Will see if it's still in effect tonight. I don't know if I am truly stealthed or if it was just a visual thing as I always crouch for the crits anyway.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

boneration posted:

Your happiness was based on the placebo effect, because a two shot shotgun only adds one pellet ("Fires an additional projectile"). It's basically the worst of all the legendary mods for a shotgun.

if this is true holy poo poo :laffo:

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Trying to hook up two water purifiers to the same power pylon and it's not being allowed. Is it a matter of not enough power or is it that the ratio of pylon:machine can only be 1:1?

Nm: the wire was running into an obstruction.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 20, 2016

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Suave Fedora posted:

Trying to hook up two water purifiers to the same power pylon and it's not being allowed. Is it a matter of not enough power or is it that the ratio of pylon:machine can only be 1:1?

Usually it's a distance or collision issue. You could always link the purifiers together and then connect the one to the pylon.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They need to add two more stats to SPECIAL to get more skill trees in there. Make it "T" and "Y" to continue the pun. T for Technique (covers a variety of weird new abilities) and Y for You (abilities that govern your rise through your chosen faction and unlock new abilities based on your faction)

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

QuantaStarFire posted:

Usually it's a distance or collision issue. You could always link the purifiers together and then connect the one to the pylon.

Yup; it was collision.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So I'm getting that thing where water purifiers don't dump purified water into my workbench anymore. I've got an enormous overproduction (like 250+ for maybe 30 settlers total)

Is there a fix to this? It's been going on for a long while I've just not been too bothered by it, but I'm running out of pre-war money and would like an alternate form of currency

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So it seems like I'm waiting for a deep discount on the DLC. Seems pretty disappointing, especially given what they managed to accomplish with Dragonborn.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can the new legendary modifiers spawn outside the far harbor area?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boneration posted:

Aw what? I did think it didn't seem to be doing much but I figured that was just because it shoots absurdly wide, that explains why it didn't even look like it was shooting many pellets.

That's lame, I want my boomstick.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Just had my first encounter with a laser-guided grenade, saw it land and I didn't even have time to hit the sprint button before I went boom. Really a drag because after spending the first 21 levels saving ever five minutes, I had just ventured away from Hangman's and killed three legendary enemies (garbage loot though, so I won't miss it).

Has anyone tested how useful the cushioned or w/e mod for armor is against grenades and stuff? It seems like it's worth the investment until I get ballistic weave. Also I just picked up my first companion (Danse doesn't count at Arcjet, yayy) and god drat my carry weight is poo poo without lone wanderer (135 w/ army fatigues and pocketed armor), it's gonna take forever to build up decent junk supplies.

I guess I could always go with a companion, dismiss them when they can't carry any more and then use the LW bonus to scavenge a teensy bit more, but holy poo poo. Suddenly all the random workbenches scattered throughout the commonwealth make sense; scrapping weapons on the spot is gonna be necessary.

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 20, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I love the Cliffside Hotel. Far Harbor is really suddenly clicking for me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So its been pit like a day now, what's the weird story element that one person mentioned that would turn nerds off? It had the faint whiff of controversy about it so I'm intrigued.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The conversation with Dima if you're still aligned with all the factions is hilarious.

I was able to reveal my allegiance three times, each time as if I hadn't just admitted to being part of another faction, with Dima responding in kind.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

2house2fly posted:

So its been pit like a day now, what's the weird story element that one person mentioned that would turn nerds off? It had the faint whiff of controversy about it so I'm intrigued.

I'm not sure what he meant, but... The leader of the synth colony asks you if you're not 100% sure you're not also a brainwashed synth, since so many of his people are. The main character can't remember anything much before the intro of the game. The synth leader leaves it up to you to decide for yourself if it's just the trauma or something else.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

So I'm getting that thing where water purifiers don't dump purified water into my workbench anymore. I've got an enormous overproduction (like 250+ for maybe 30 settlers total)

Is there a fix to this? It's been going on for a long while I've just not been too bothered by it, but I'm running out of pre-war money and would like an alternate form of currency

do you have any purified water in that workbench at all? even if there's just 1, the 250 waters won't spawn. if not, double check that your generators and purifiers are working properly. you should have like 300 water or w/e at the settlement with the purifiers. if the number is 0 or something like that, then they probably got blown up by a raid on the settlement while you were gone, and you'll need to repair them.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 20, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Epic High Five posted:

I have a similar problem but with tatos. I have loving hundreds of tato plants, but they never harvest them like they do all the other crops I use for adhesive.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah I'm always sure there's none in the workbench

Lotish posted:

I have a similar problem but with tatos. I have loving hundreds of tato plants, but they never harvest them like they do all the other crops I use for adhesive.

Yeah it's happening with all my crops too

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
probably a bug then if none of your equipment is broken. that sucks. i've never seen it personally.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

2house2fly posted:

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I recall some goon mentioning an out-of-place gameplay moment that might piss people off, which is a part where you go inside some weird simulation program of DiMA's mind and play some weird puzzle game to lead pixel bugs around block pathways using workshop item placement mechanics. It plays like some weird reverse tower defense thing. It doesn't last long and isn't terrible, but it gets old by the end.

Also the biggest disappointment with the lever action rifle isn't that you can't load it one round at a time, its that you don't flip-cock the sawn off version. :colbert:

bluetail
Jul 8, 2012
I bought and downloaded Far Harbor, did the prerequisite quests (rescued Nick Valentine and completed the "Getting a Clue" quest) and nothing happened. All the articles I've read about this DLC say that a radio signal and quest will pop up once you reach this point, but neither have happened. The DLC is definitely recognized since it says it's installed in the main menu, but it refuses to initiate in-game. :suicide: Never change, Bethesda.

EDIT: Problem solved, I just had to re-enter Diamond City and the quest appeared.

bluetail fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 20, 2016

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Is there anywhere you can get .45-70 in the Commonwealth? I've found three Lever Action Rifles so far but not any ammo for them. It'd be cool to not have to wait until I go to Far Harbor to use them.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
What's the recommended level range for Far Harbor? Stupid me decided to start a new game, and so far I'm "just" level 21.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Man, this enemy is :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there some non-violent way to force a caravan to leave your drat settlement? Cricket has been here for weeks and her and her whole drat crew are in the way of my building. I've gotten rid of the caravan post, moved it, nothing. They just stand around.

Is there a console command or something to make them gtfo?

• Locked thread