Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

There's been a weird buzz around my LGS about (mono red?) Modern LD. Are people talking out their asses, or is there something to it? I've looked at some of the things that have been said, and I have to admit that Crack the Earth + Akki Blizzard-Herder seems a pretty funny thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TheCog posted:

I am slowly getting my girlfriend into magic, using the duel decks. The next step seems to be to get "real" decks, which given budgetary constraints means pauper. What are some evenly matched pauper decks, considering we're mostly going to be playing against each other?

What types of decks do you both enjoy?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheCog posted:

I am slowly getting my girlfriend into magic, using the duel decks. The next step seems to be to get "real" decks, which given budgetary constraints means pauper. What are some evenly matched pauper decks, considering we're mostly going to be playing against each other?

Card kingdom has a bunch of $9 'battle decks' on their site, they're pretty good and cheap if you're just playing for fun. They're not strictly pauper decks though as they have uncommons and some rando bulk rares/mythics.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

PJOmega posted:

What types of decks do you both enjoy?

I'm a control player at heart, Blue black control or reality acid would be my type of deck, but they can be frustrating to play against and i want to avoid every matchup being a slog. I enjoy weirder decks with altetnate win conditions (see hedron alignment, etc)

My girlfriend is much more about smashing face, my first thought was something like mono-red goblins, but im open to suggestions.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
you should go with my personal favorite aggro deck in pauper - affinity.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

TheCog posted:

Don't actually play 'pauper' just play casual - go to a store that sells cards and has a 10/25 cent box, and spend an hour grabbing cards that look cool for decks you might want to make. 15 bucks later you have two similarly-powered decks that have more fun cards than pauper does.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Xaerael posted:

There's been a weird buzz around my LGS about (mono red?) Modern LD. Are people talking out their asses, or is there something to it? I've looked at some of the things that have been said, and I have to admit that Crack the Earth + Akki Blizzard-Herder seems a pretty funny thing to do.

One of the guys on the Eh Team podcast has been brewing a RG ramp/land hate deck that looks something like this:

2 Birds of Paradise
4 Arbor Elf
2 Scavenging Ooze
2 Obstinate Baloth
3 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Inferno Titan
4 Bonfire of the Damned
4 Utopia Sprawl
3 Beast Within
3 Stone Rain
4 Blood Moon
4 Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
1 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Mountain
3 Stomping Ground
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
8 Forest

2 Guttural Response
1 Scavenging Ooze
3 Ancient Grudge
3 Sudden Shock
3 Kitchen Finks
2 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Shatterstorm

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 19, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Xaerael posted:

I remember seeing a mono-red prison deck once with Blood Moon/Ensnaring Bridge that finished with PWs, you could trying working LD into that kind of shell but it seemed like it would have things it would rather cast on turn 3 than Stone Rain.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
There was a list Bahra was doing ok with a few months back, r/w boom/bust. Had ajani vengeant, stone rain, magus of the tabernacle. Seemed ok but a bit slow.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Xaerael posted:

Not Mono Red but I've been playing this at Friday Night Modern to success

// Lands
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Ghost Quarter
8 Mountain
1 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

// Creatures

// Spells
3 Ajani Vengeant
2 Anger of the Gods
4 Boros Signet
1 Chandra, the Firebrand
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3 Ghostly Prison
2 Koth of the Hammer
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Molten Rain
2 Outpost Siege
3 Path to Exile
4 Stone Rain
3 Trinisphere

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Anger of the Gods
SB: 2 Celestial Flare
SB: 2 Damping Matrix
SB: 1 Ghostly Prison
SB: 2 Rending Volley
SB: 3 Rest in Peace
SB: 2 Vandalblast
SB: 2 Wear // Tear (Tear)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

the thing is, it's not that slow. The worst case is that they spend a 2 mana spell to kill it on turn 3; that's really not that bad.

Company even encourages those type of exchanges, but Displacer is showing up in non green decks.

Company really is a busted card. When you think about it, Read the bones is a good card, but for 1 extra mana you get those cards into play at instant speed without life loss (ignoring the obvious differences in card draw, and the deck building restraints of coco).

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I've nothing particularly against coco as a card but it is incredibly format warping for standard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Wurzag posted:

I've nothing particularly against coco as a card but it is incredibly format warping for standard.

Ehh the "Best Deck" doesn't play it and there are a bunch of control decks running around be they Grixis/BW/Esper that don't play it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Opinion time! Given the current meta expected for this weekend, would you rather:

Play 4 kitchen finks or 4 Loxodon smiters? Finks seemed better with the rush of aggro decks after eldrazi got banned, but if nahiri control decks are going to be popular then smiter seems good. Both are good vs jund. 2/2 split also optional I suppose.

Play 3 Abrupt decay/1 maelstrom pulse, or 2/2 split? 3 decay is normally best but pulse is better as walkers are becoming more common, between jeskai nahiri and tron.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Wurzag posted:

Well, while Siege Rhino was around it didn't have too much of an impact until Reflector Mage showed up.

e:Actually, Rally showed up towards the tail end of Theros/Khans, I think.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Opinion time! Given the current meta expected for this weekend, would you rather:

Play 4 kitchen finks or 4 Loxodon smiters? Finks seemed better with the rush of aggro decks after eldrazi got banned, but if nahiri control decks are going to be popular then smiter seems good. Both are good vs jund. 2/2 split also optional I suppose.

Play 3 Abrupt decay/1 maelstrom pulse, or 2/2 split? 3 decay is normally best but pulse is better as walkers are becoming more common, between jeskai nahiri and tron.

I want the 4th Finks before the first Smiter. I also vote for 2/2 Decay/Pulse split.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

I want the 4th Finks before the first Smiter. I also vote for 2/2 Decay/Pulse split.

That's the current plan. I used to run 4 smiters when twin was a thing because it was a great card in that matchup, I only reconsidered it on the premise that jeskai nahiri will become popular and remand/counters will become popular again.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Finks is an incredibly strong card against Burn, Zoo, and buys you time against alot of other decks in the format, and burning you out is one of the Jeskai decks backup plans if they can't do the Emrakul thing.

One thing to keep in mind about the Jeskai deck is that if they slam the Nahari as fast as possible, that means you get turn 4/5 to do whatever you want, and if they hold back to do it turn 5, they only have a path or a bolt to interact with you. And if they wait till turn 6 you can force things through Mana Leak or Remand anyways.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah, sticking with finks. Shouldn't questions things that have worked fine 2 days beforehand.

Opinions again: I have a flex spot on my top end. Sigarda or Thrun both seem pretty good right now. Both good vs nahiri jeskai, both good against gbx decks. I'm wondering if they immunity to emrakul/Liliana is better than Thrun being immune to counters.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Assuming 4 cmc vs. 5 cmc doesn't make a huge difference, I think I would learn towards Sigarda for being evasive. On the board Thrun is just kind of a dude.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im still torn. Straight burn or some kind of green white deck for modern? I have some declaration in stones that need some play.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Is Sea Gate Wreckage not seeing play in Burn? It seems like a great way to get extra cards once you're in topdeck mode.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Zemyla posted:

Is Sea Gate Wreckage not seeing play in Burn? It seems like a great way to get extra cards once you're in topdeck mode.

There are very, very few cards in burn that can use colorless mana.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Zemyla posted:

You're playing a low land count and need to hit three colors (plus double red and possibly double white), there's no room for colorless lands, and definitely no room for colorless lands that need a second colorless for you to get the payoff.

Edit: also like Ultima said, it doesn't actually cast anything.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Zemyla posted:

You'd need double colorless to actually use the thing. A mana base that supports double colorless will cost you more cards in the form of mulligans than it'll ever gain as a 5+ CMC option.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My pet peeve for a long time has been how the fall set seems to last forever and everything else is packed in to may-august so I finally graphed it. It really pounds the message home. I mean, look at 3xTHE!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Funny how when a promo has modern/legacy playability , stores "misplace" them in larger than normal numbers. Stupid Goblin Warchief of all things has seemed get lost in my metroplex from at least 5 stores so far. 4 out of these 5 stores also lost visions and path the last time.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

little munchkin posted:

You're playing a low land count and need to hit three colors (plus double red and possibly double white), there's no room for colorless lands, and definitely no room for colorless lands that need a second colorless for you to get the payoff.

Edit: also like Ultima said, it doesn't actually cast anything.

what plays double white in burn, i thought white was only for helix and boros charm

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Sickening posted:

Funny how when a promo has modern/legacy playability , stores "misplace" them in larger than normal numbers. Stupid Goblin Warchief of all things has seemed get lost in my metroplex from at least 5 stores so far. 4 out of these 5 stores also lost visions and path the last time.
I handed at them out at at least one shop you FNM at two weeks ago... How many different places can you FNM?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

what plays double white in burn, i thought white was only for helix and boros charm

That's for Kor Firewalker in the mirror

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

standard.deviant posted:

I handed at them out at at least one shop you FNM at two weeks ago... How many different places can you FNM?

Dfw has a bunch of stores bro.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Sickening posted:

Dfw has a bunch of stores bro.
True, but only one Friday per week. Why bounce around, especially to stores that have been lovely in the past?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zemyla posted:

You have a low land count as it is, you're very often keeping a two-land hand, and you need both of those lands to make red mana. Almost all your spells cost a single red mana or RR or RW, you have very few 1R or 2R spells in the deck that can even make use of colorless mana.

And you would need to draw multiples of it to be able to even activate it in the first place unless you're running Battlefield Forge or something as part of your mana base.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

standard.deviant posted:

True, but only one Friday per week. Why bounce around, especially to stores that have been lovely in the past?

Combination of different friends that play at different stores and me trying to find a store to stick to. All the good stores (Madness/Common Grounds) are farthest from me but have the best FNMs. I have been bouncing all over to figure out which of the smaller local stores have FNM worth going to. Its also fun to go to a store you haven't played at in a long time. All the stores 10 minutes and less to my house have issues consistently firing fnm.

Where are you? Madness?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

standard.deviant posted:

All T no shade, dudebro is grinding out FNM wins for good promo cards and is willing to deal with some stinky grognards in damp basements to get them.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Sickening posted:

Combination of different friends that play at different stores and me trying to find a store to stick to. All the good stores (Madness/Common Grounds) are farthest from me but have the best FNMs. I have been bouncing all over to figure out which of the smaller local stores have FNM worth going to. Its also fun to go to a store you haven't played at in a long time. All the stores 10 minutes and less to my house have issues consistently firing fnm.

Where are you? Madness?
Yeah, but I make maybe one FNM a month. Mostly I come out for Saturday Legacy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

standard.deviant posted:

Yeah, but I make maybe one FNM a month. Mostly I come out for Saturday Legacy.

I live north of the DFW airport and the puts me in a weird place for magic shops. All the close local shops are having issues with attendance, all the ones slightly farther than that have shady practices.

And madness is without a doubt the worst loving place to go to for game day or promos that are interesting because WOTC hasn't figured out that the larges FNM in the world might need more promos and playmats.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 20, 2016

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Sickening posted:

I live north of the DFW airport and the puts me in a weird place for magic shops. All the close local shops are having issues with attendance, all the ones slightly farther than that have shady practices.

And madness is without a doubt the worst loving place to go to for game day or promos that are interesting because WOTC hasn't figured out that the larges FNM in the world might need more promos and playmats.
Yeah they need some sort of super mega advance level or something.

How far from Denton are you? I had fun at their Vintage thing a month or so back. I assume they have reasonable FNMs, and I get along pretty well with their judges.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

standard.deviant posted:

Yeah they need some sort of super mega advance level or something.

How far from Denton are you? I had fun at their Vintage thing a month or so back. I assume they have reasonable FNMs, and I get along pretty well with their judges.

The shops in denton, plano, and common grounds are all 30+ minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Sickening posted:

The shops in denton, plano, and common grounds are all 30+ minutes.
Yeah that's some kind of black hole for sure. I live way the hell out east so I just accept that it will be a 30-min drive to anything bigger than a closet.

• Locked thread