Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh poo poo, it is Geralt Vs Vampire: The Masquerade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Witcher 3 will remain the undefeated champ of open world RPGs for the second year running. :allears:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Harrow posted:

So, I'm starting my fresh playthrough before doing the DLCs. Is there an accepted good way to make money now? I remember really struggling for gold for most of the game my first time through and I'm not super interested in having that particular experience again.
Do the ?s and sell all the unique weapons and armor you get to the right vendor (swords to smiths, armor to armorers) and by the time you're halfway through Velen you'll have more gold than you can spend. Unless you want to buy all the rune recipes.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
It's not as cool a trailer as the HoS one, but I'm sold regardless.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I forgot how good the combat feels in this. I remember a lot of complaints about the combat when the game first came out and I really don't think I understand them.

Sindai posted:

Do the ?s and sell all the unique weapons and armor you get to the right vendor (swords to smiths, armor to armorers) and by the time you're halfway through Velen you'll have more gold than you can spend. Unless you want to buy all the rune recipes.

It's that lucrative? Well, that's nice.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Harrow posted:

I forgot how good the combat feels in this. I remember a lot of complaints about the combat when the game first came out and I really don't think I understand them.

It's that lucrative? Well, that's nice.

the combat is great, its just that dark souls probably does the same style slightly better and a bit more fluidly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the combat is great, its just that dark souls probably does the same style slightly better and a bit more fluidly.

I prefer the way TW3 handles magic to how the Souls games do, largely because it's easy to weave signs into your normal sword combat in a way that isn't really possible with even the fastest/most support-focused Souls spells. Same for bombs. It's really fun feeling versatile. I do wish there was greater weapon variety instead of just all swords, all the time, but can't win 'em all.

I actually think this is a bit more fluid than Dark Souls, probably because of its focus on one specific fighting style and the speed/fluidity with which you can perform two different types of dodges. I think I probably prefer Bloodborne's combat overall, but I also love that game more than is rational so that's probably to be expected.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't like the combat much but it's an improvement on 2 and it's serviceable enough. Trying to replay 2 after having played Dark Souls in the interim wasn't a good time at all.

Actually, I find it tough to pinpoint any individual aspect of the game that's really good, but I like it a lot. More than the sum of its parts I guess?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't like the combat much but it's an improvement on 2 and it's serviceable enough. Trying to replay 2 after having played Dark Souls in the interim wasn't a good time at all.

Actually, I find it tough to pinpoint any individual aspect of the game that's really good, but I like it a lot. More than the sum of its parts I guess?

The writing is very good and the corresponding facial expressions that accompany conversations are stellar (for the main characters), IMO.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The world design is amazing, just about every location you visit has some backstory behind it.

The voice acting is the best I've heard in a game in a long time too.

Wonderful music.

I do like the combat too, it's meaty and satisfying.

I will never stop fellating CDPR. :bigtran:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The dynamic weather/time of day stuff is the best I have ever seen in a game. I swear that no two days in a given week of gametime are the same.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, there are actual great things in the game that you can name like the visuals, writing, character and environment design, outfit design, monster design. There's also something about the models and extremely detailed textures that make everything look like it has realistic weight and physics to it moreso than in other games. The character building is also robust and the mocap combined with facial expressions make character movement/expression the most realistic I've seen yet. The weather is crazy good, I remember posting that I've seen weather types in this game that haven't been used in any other game before or how real sunsets are.

I feel like in comparison combat is mediocre and the skill system is not really good, the UI is bad and the overall item system is uninspired/unimportant except for the Witcher gear. Some ideas are unfinished like the crossbow use, monster trophies. Horse control is poor in comparison to the past horses in video games. Still this all somehow doesn't matter.

So overall I think it's more that there are some parts of the game that are lacking but those other great parts more than make up for them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Deakul posted:

The world design is amazing, just about every location you visit has some backstory behind it.

The voice acting is the best I've heard in a game in a long time too.

Wonderful music.

I do like the combat too, it's meaty and satisfying.

I will never stop fellating CDPR. :bigtran:

I am a little disappointed that there aren't as many dialogue choices as in Witcher 2, but I understand concessions need to be made when your game is 100+ hours long. And that doesn't stop the dialogue from being excellent across the board (with the exception of Geralt's shouting during the scene where Yennefer almost sinks Ard Skellig. He just sounded goofy)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This is going to wipe its dick on Fallout 4's new DLC, confirm/deny.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Megazver posted:

This is going to wipe its dick on Fallout 4's new DLC, confirm/deny.

c

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Do you even have to ask?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Does Radovid suck flaccid cock?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Does Radovid suck flaccid cock?
:boom:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's cause you got soft on slow dark souls combat with invincibility frames out the wazoo, git good. :smugbert:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I am a little disappointed that there aren't as many dialogue choices as in Witcher 2, but I understand concessions need to be made when your game is 100+ hours long. And that doesn't stop the dialogue from being excellent across the board (with the exception of Geralt's shouting during the scene where Yennefer almost sinks Ard Skellig. He just sounded goofy)

I actually think the limited dialogue choices are a strength. When you make a decision, usually there are two, maybe three options but they have actual emotional and storytelling impact.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just watched the new trailer and it's so beautiful.

I can't get over how gorgeously coloured it is for a ~dark fantasy~.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
dear cd projekt please hire fromsoft's combat designers for witcher game remakes, tia

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Malcolm XML posted:

dear cd projekt please hire fromsoft's combat designers for witcher game remakes, tia

Those guys can only do slow and boring-rear end poo poo, hire Platinum instead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They modeled ciris combat on devil may cry, do more of that

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

Those guys can only do slow and boring-rear end poo poo, hire Platinum instead.

We're not due for a platinum Witcher game until the next alignment of the spheres, unfortunately.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Malcolm XML posted:

definitely please don't do this.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

drat, that trailer. Not surprising there will be vampires but I'm sure the story will have it's own Witcher twist.

And I haven't even bought HoS yet. :(

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I haven't even bought HoS yet. :(

Just get the season pass since it's cheaper.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah as much as I love the souls games I don't think the combat works for these games.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Pyromancer posted:

hire Platinum instead.
*Geralt's clothes fly off and form into a giant wolf head that tears apart a griffin.*

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

Is Iorveth in this game at all? I just realised that despite coming up on the end game I don't remember even hearing about my elf-bro.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Captain No-mates posted:

Is Iorveth in this game at all? I just realised that despite coming up on the end game I don't remember even hearing about my elf-bro.

Many have asked myself included and its been answered that no he isn't, early on there was stuff planned with him but it didn't fit I believe.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Sindai posted:

*Geralt's clothes fly off and form into a giant wolf head that tears apart a griffin.*
Roach gets combat armor, hair turns into flames, and ultimately becomes Roachhorse.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
After that trailer, I continue to sit here hoping the plot twist is Regis just showing up to help deal with this coven.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Unrelated to the game, but if anyone is like me and "reading" the books via audio book then the latest one, Tower of Swallows, just got released

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Sindai posted:

Actually do this

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
So gog galaxy. I know you used to be able to pick and choose which of the 16 free dlc you wanted, but now I only see a button to enable or disable them all. Is there some way to choose that I'm missing?

I really prefer the original Ciri/Yen outfits.

edit: nevermind, I guess it's all in game now

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

This birthday card sums up why the Witcher is great. Anyone who has played all 3 games can name almost all the characters at a glance because they are all characters people care about. If you were to strip the characters away, the core gameplay is actually not great in any respect. The combat is serviceable but hardly groundbreaking. The world building is phenomenal and makes even old clunkers like Witcher 1 worth playing.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Rookersh posted:

After that trailer, I continue to sit here hoping the plot twist is Regis just showing up to help deal with this coven.

Man do I want to see Geralt pissed about that. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I decided to do some of the DLC quests that came out after I already finished the game.

A lot of things don't work properly when you mess around as expected. Still, I was surprised with what I could get away with! :3: