Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

HaB posted:

I can't think of why not. What's the reward for Fingers? miracle or sorcery?

Internet Kraken posted:

They get the obscuring ring at 10 and a worthless catalyst at 30.

Oh cool

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm down if we can get tongues the same way.

Yeah I'm down. Shoot me a message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Question: Why is there sometimes a pitchfork undead farmer in the skeleton tunnel near Velka and sometimes there's not?

the group that follows the fat lady minister can fall into the ravine and i guess end up in the velka tunnel somehow because they cross the bridge at spawn or something like that

what happens for me usually if they don't all make it across is the minister falls down at one of the edges and is just staring into the wall down there

edit:
doing a fresh pyro playthrough and it's going pretty much as easily as i expected since you get all the good poo poo super early alongside the lower stat investment+higher base damage and faster cast time of spells but i'm really left wondering:
why the heck is the counterhit damage so high for pyro stuff? it's super weird- my chaos fbs go from like 500 damage to 1k+ when i don't think anything else gets that much of a boost on CH stuff

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 20, 2016

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Deified Data posted:

Question: Why is there sometimes a pitchfork undead farmer in the skeleton tunnel near Velka and sometimes there's not?

Best I can tell, it's one of the patrolling mobs from up above that accidentally fell down. There's some weird code that ensures that falling enemies will always survive the trip down the ravine to make sure that the grandson ambush by the Titanite Shard doesn't just end with him dying. The pathing is sort of weird and I've found dogs, worker hollows, and even evangelists down by the Velka statue.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

Have they fixed poise yet?

lol get a load of this guy

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
gently caress Nameless King. Up until now I was cruising through this game. What a game though. I accidentally started the Yhorm fight with over 130k souls and ended up one shotting him. They don't make games this satisfying very often anymore.

rally fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 20, 2016

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

mastershakeman posted:

They would parry and instaroll right after, it was insane. The fact is unless you're running a high crit build yourself you have no ability to reliably punish

I mean imagine missing a dozen parries on mobs

Literally the only way to punish it is to wait a little bit to push the button and frankly with all of the hustle and bustle today who has time to wait a little bit to push the button

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dazzling Addar posted:

Best I can tell, it's one of the patrolling mobs from up above that accidentally fell down. There's some weird code that ensures that falling enemies will always survive the trip down the ravine to make sure that the grandson ambush by the Titanite Shard doesn't just end with him dying. The pathing is sort of weird and I've found dogs, worker hollows, and even evangelists down by the Velka statue.

I think that script fires for players in some capacity too. I hosed up and got knocked off that cliff by one of the lumberjack guys and hit the bottom without taking any damage. Figured I was dead as soon as I hit but nope.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Honestly, parry spammers sometimes seem to jump the gun more than not, so playing around with variably charged power attacks and leaping attacks can really help. Also, the backstep attack can throw them off too.

I wonder if fists are as fun as they were in DS2, since I managed to take out tons of people using only fists, a crown, and the ring from the covenant of champions.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Did the server just crash for anyone else?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

They are down for maintenance.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Happy Hedonist posted:

They are down for maintenance.

Oh gently caress it zapped me right after beating twp princes luckily it saved

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
After finishing DS3 a few times I'm going to go back and play DS2 remastered. What's the most overpowered PVE build/gear? I just want to smash undead and don't care if it's the easy route. ex. in DS3 it's (arguably) Knight --> Raw rear end (pyro) / Dark Sword (str). Just looking for this thread's wisdom in a similar one or two sentence summary

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh gently caress it zapped me right after beating twp princes luckily it saved

It's so dumb that losing the connection boots you to the menu, rather than just softly putting you into offline play.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

atastypie posted:

After finishing DS3 a few times I'm going to go back and play DS2 remastered. What's the most overpowered PVE build/gear? I just want to smash undead and don't care if it's the easy route. ex. in DS3 it's (arguably) Knight --> Raw rear end (pyro) / Dark Sword (str). Just looking for this thread's wisdom in a similar one or two sentence summary

Hex looks crazy powerful.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

atastypie posted:

Cleric -> uninfused mace(s) -> large club (str).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

atastypie posted:

Start Explorer, get a Rapier ASAP, get ADP up until your Agility stat (which is derived from ADP/ATN) is at 99, increase DEX/END/VIG in varying amounts, upgrade that Rapier to standard +10 when you can. Rapier absolutely mulches everything in the entire game, especially when two-handed.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
So a while back (ie. last night) I mentioned having difficulty getting Creighton to show up again after dying to him the first time.

Well, turns out, despite you know, dying to him, and not, well, killing him, his dead body with his armour still showed up on the bridge! Except I missed out on his axe. I mean I wasn't going to use it this play through, but you know...

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Genocyber posted:

It's so dumb that losing the connection boots you to the menu, rather than just softly putting you into offline play.

Haven't previous games in the series just put you into offline play? I only remember Demon's Souls booting you to the menu and then I thought they figured that poo poo out until 3 came along.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hamsterlady posted:

Haven't previous games in the series just put you into offline play? I only remember Demon's Souls booting you to the menu and then I thought they figured that poo poo out until 3 came along.

Only Dark Souls II. Demon's, DS1, and Bloodborne all boot you to the menu.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why does ds3 let you summon for the final boss? i liked that you had to do dark souls 1 alone.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

DS1 would boot you back to the menu, too. DS2 just gave a disconnect message and let you proceed.

Like a number of things apparently, they saw fit to un-fix it. :v:

Real hurthling! posted:

why does ds3 let you summon for the final boss? i liked that you had to do dark souls 1 alone.

Solaire.

Also I think you could do regular summons there too, but I may be wrong. That seems odd to have just the NPC.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm trying to transfer items to a new character with my buddy's help. I have several +3 weapons and I can't see them when he drops them. Is there a level requirement to accept upgraded weapons? I'm base level knight at the high wall of lothrix if that helps.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Huh? You can summon for all 5 games' final bosses.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

you didn't. you can totally summon players (and solaire) for gwyn

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm trying to transfer items to a new character with my buddy's help. I have several +3 weapons and I can't see them when he drops them. Is there a level requirement to accept upgraded weapons? I'm base level knight at the high wall of lothrix if that helps.

Yes, you can only pick up weapons up to the highest reinforcement you already have. If you have +3 then the only items you can pick up are +3 and lower.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

you didn't. you can totally summon players (and solaire) for gwyn

no poo poo? i guess i never tried it while human somehow?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
rate my fashion souls

Dancer's Crown, Mirrah Vest, Legion Gauntlets, Sunless Leggins

or with Lorian's Leggins

For my Bleed/Luck character, I can't decide on a hat

Black Leather Chest, Thorn Gauntlets, Black Leggings-

Evangelist Hat

Sage's Big Hat

Creighton's Mask

I'm partial to the big hat, but willing to try other suggestions.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

It could have also been an off day, or level range a bit off, anything really. Plus I'm sure there is a lot of mindest that 'They should fight Gwyn himself, I won't ruin the experience :colbert:"

I know I didn't see any Signs outside of Gwyn from players, and I went human for him out of principle each time (I ditched my Artorias shield to try and force myself to learn to parry before the finish line :v:) But I was also playing when DS1 when DS2 had just come out.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

atastypie posted:

Rapier with Flynn's ring. If you know the path you can grab the ring right after Rotten without fighting anything.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Fun time in the Crucifixion Woods tonight.

Summoned a Mound-Builder at the first bonfire because...reasons. I love purples and want them to have fun. We co-op through a few of the tree-wielders before he gets impatient and tries to kill me. I run away and get invaded by Heysel. Through some judicious gesturing I somehow convince him to help me kill her before he turns on me again, so we take turns backstabbing her to death. Once that's done we rejoin our duel and I kill him shortly after. Mound-builders are weird. It's like they can neither resist the urge to help or harm when it becomes...interesting to do so. I've definitely noticed this in myself when I do it. If he just ganged up on me with Heysel he would have won, but he chose to postpone our fight just because I pointed at her.

Get invaded by a Watchdog just as that fight ends. He really liked trying to bash me with his Twin Dragon Greatshield. Highly aggressive and easy to bluff with mixing up the speed of my R2's. He goes down pretty quick.

Then immediately as that fight ends, I'm attacked by a red who's invasion message went unannounced, some twinked out guy wearing Dancer armor and using the dancer twinblades and bloodlust. I thought we were having a good fight (he even parried me) until he runs out of estus and black crystals out. Win, I guess?

I love Crucifixion Woods. It's the only place I ever get invaded for some reason.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

I think people set their signs at the beginning of the level, rather than at the boss door like usual

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

Genocyber posted:

B-b-ut Miyazaki-san...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mazerunner posted:

rate my fashion souls

Dancer's Crown, Mirrah Vest, Legion Gauntlets, Sunless Leggins

or with Lorian's Leggins

For my Bleed/Luck character, I can't decide on a hat

Black Leather Chest, Thorn Gauntlets, Black Leggings-

Evangelist Hat

Sage's Big Hat

Creighton's Mask

I'm partial to the big hat, but willing to try other suggestions.

First one is meh. Its hard to make the Mirrah chest stand out to me though. Also gundyy's halberd doesn't really mesh with any of those sets to me. So the character kind of feeling like its all over the place.

I like the second one with the sage's big hat though.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Did they put out a new patch that hosed the framerate? I'm playing on PS4 for the first time in awhile and the framerate is dipping constantly, often to unplayable levels. I'm offline too, since the servers are down (or were when I turned the game on at least)

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Genocyber posted:

adding to the list of mistakes b-team made

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I like that you're forced to fight Iudex Gundyr solo in this game. That's a good tutorial boss, even for veterans of the series, because it teaches you that bosses deliberately delay their attacks to gently caress with you a lot.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Is Astora great sword legit for a quality pve build? I've been using dank sword and it's cool but boring after 40 hours. I wanna try new quality build weapons that might be a little different or exotic than just swords. I wanna rest out Lothric Knight sword and Astora short sword, or maybe some pike or something. Any suggestions?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

vandalism posted:

Is Astora great sword legit for a quality pve build? I've been using dank sword and it's cool but boring after 40 hours. I wanna try new quality build weapons that might be a little different or exotic than just swords. I wanna rest out Lothric Knight sword and Astora short sword, or maybe some pike or something. Any suggestions?

I think the Astora Greatsword is actually the best weapon for a Quality setup.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Deified Data posted:

Fun time in the Crucifixion Woods tonight.

Summoned a Mound-Builder at the first bonfire because...reasons. I love purples and want them to have fun. We co-op through a few of the tree-wielders before he gets impatient and tries to kill me. I run away and get invaded by Heysel. Through some judicious gesturing I somehow convince him to help me kill her before he turns on me again, so we take turns backstabbing her to death. Once that's done we rejoin our duel and I kill him shortly after. Mound-builders are weird. It's like they can neither resist the urge to help or harm when it becomes...interesting to do so. I've definitely noticed this in myself when I do it. If he just ganged up on me with Heysel he would have won, but he chose to postpone our fight just because I pointed at her.

Get invaded by a Watchdog just as that fight ends. He really liked trying to bash me with his Twin Dragon Greatshield. Highly aggressive and easy to bluff with mixing up the speed of my R2's. He goes down pretty quick.

Then immediately as that fight ends, I'm attacked by a red who's invasion message went unannounced, some twinked out guy wearing Dancer armor and using the dancer twinblades and bloodlust. I thought we were having a good fight (he even parried me) until he runs out of estus and black crystals out. Win, I guess?

I love Crucifixion Woods. It's the only place I ever get invaded for some reason.

Heysel is a little annoying to cooperate with as an invader because she will just as willingly target the invader as she will the host. So I'm not sure it would've really helped him that much to have her around. In my experiences as a watchdog I usually found Heysel annoying to have around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hamsterlady posted:

Did they put out a new patch that hosed the framerate? I'm playing on PS4 for the first time in awhile and the framerate is dipping constantly, often to unplayable levels. I'm offline too, since the servers are down (or were when I turned the game on at least)

Offline is the problem. When the game launched offline would have horrible framerates, then a patch fixed it... then another patch unfixed it and introduced some less bad but still bad dips in online mode too. I figured it would get remedied quickly but here we are a few weeks later... Maybe they were busy with the PC patches and a PS4 patch is next? I hope?

But then I also thought the patch that introduced frame pacing errors in Bloodborne would get resolved but instead it stayed forever and even got carried on to DS3.