Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009

sushibandit posted:

I'm not particularly well geared either, and I'm only hitting 176ap with full food and clan and potion AND black shard buffs up. However, all of my gear upgrades at this point are difficult/expensive to come by. Well, I mean I "was" hitting 176ap.

We're made of paper, we're supposed to hit stupidly hard.

I wouldn't say we're made of paper. I have 170 dp with the black shield buff and iframes out the rear end. Sorcs still hit incredibly hard. The 10 ap isn't a massive nerf and hitting 200 ap is still feasible. Sorcs are just the strongest class right now.

On a side note got my first liverto drop from field boss bheg, wish these things sold for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

HorseWhistle.png

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I don't know which is my favorite thing.. Abusing the whistle or clipping through the ground crawling.

If you crawl on a really small rock and back over a vertical edge your char starts wigging out

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Placebo posted:

I wouldn't say we're made of paper. I have 170 dp with the black shield buff and iframes out the rear end. Sorcs still hit incredibly hard. The 10 ap isn't a massive nerf and hitting 200 ap is still feasible. Sorcs are just the strongest class right now.

On a side note got my first liverto drop from field boss bheg, wish these things sold for more.

I agree with the point you're broadly making (sorc survivability is pretty decent thanks to iframes) but damage reduction apparently scales differently for different classes, so 170dp on a sorc/ranger is less effective than the same amount on tankier classes.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So farming, crops only grow if your online?

welp, there goes that. Im really trying to like this game, it just isnt meeting me half way lol.

What would be the best profession that i can log in once a day for an hour and still make progress? even if that hour is afk fishing.

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

welp, there goes that. Im really trying to like this game, it just isnt meeting me half way lol.

What would be the best profession that i can log in once a day for an hour and still make progress? even if that hour is afk fishing.

Yeah you have to be online.
I love how people claim that its a 'hardcore mmo' and we're all just horrible casual fucks but seriously this game is really punishing if you only play like an hour or two per day. It will take you loving ages to get anywhere close to the older players as a new player especially regarding the tight release schedule unless you plan spending these two hours grinding the same stuff over and over.
Afk fishing is always a good idea but at some point it will just take ages to get a level up. You might want to have a look into trading and ship crap from A to B for one or two hours.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

Why can't you minimize it to tray and leave it running all day? The footprint drops quite a bit, so it doesn't really impact other running programs.

As far as your question goes, fishing or gathering/processing are probably going to be your best bets until you can actually put time in, either active or afk. Workers don't work when you're logged out, crops don't grow, your horse isn't leveling up, you aren't improving your strength or stamina levels, etc.

It's a great system for people with normal day jobs.

Edit

Holy crap, I just now figured out that you have to manually spend silver to upgrade to higher tiers of storage/etc in purchased housing. This is gonna free up ~50 contrib points I've got wasted in level 1 storage in Calpheon, and the game does a terrible job of telling you that you need to do so.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 19, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Meskhenet posted:

You should be doing that afk fishing once you're done playing, not as part of your hour. That sentence makes me think you're coming at this the wrong way. The way the game works with you is by giving you a world of options to make progress while not at the keyboard playing actively. There's even a built in function that minimizes the game to the system tray so it consumes almost no system resources while you're doing afk stuff. If stuff not progressing while logged out is an issue for you, don't log out. There's no afk timer, you can just minimize the game to the system tray and come back the next day

I only play a few hours a day, but my characters are always logged in doing breath training, strength training, fishing, horse cart loops, etc. You can add farming to that list too, now that workers can tend your gardens for you

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Wizard horse evolving to a Tiger Rank :allears: :q:

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Zero. posted:

Yeah you have to be online.
I love how people claim that its a 'hardcore mmo' and we're all just horrible casual fucks but seriously this game is really punishing if you only play like an hour or two per day. It will take you loving ages to get anywhere close to the older players as a new player especially regarding the tight release schedule unless you plan spending these two hours grinding the same stuff over and over.
Afk fishing is always a good idea but at some point it will just take ages to get a level up. You might want to have a look into trading and ship crap from A to B for one or two hours.

gently caress the joneses. You are not missing out on anything by not getting to level 60 with +20 kzarka and boss armors. There is no end game. As an old school d&d gamer I would say enjoy the journey, not the arrival at your destination.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

CountingWizard posted:

gently caress the joneses. You are not missing out on anything by not getting to level 60 with +20 kzarka and boss armors. There is no end game. As an old school d&d gamer I would say enjoy the journey, not the arrival at your destination.

This is good advice for all worlds, virtual and otherwise.

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014

CountingWizard posted:

Agreed. But then again if you are as horrible as I am you cant enjoy things unless I am sure Im done with them. It bothers me when I have an open questline I havent finished in ages and it bothers me that I am not max level. Dont get me wrong, I still enjoy the game, I got a decently geared character and spend a good amount of time in pvp. But I still feel like it is going to be incredibly hard for new players to catch up with the old playerbase if they are going to start at the end of the year especially if they want to stay competitive in regards to pvp, sieges and the pvp engame in general. In fact Mediah was released and I wasnt even finished with the actual core game and now the next big update is coming only two or three months after that and so on and so on.
I have to admit that I am a bit worried because the gap between hard- and softcore players is growing extremely fast.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Zero. posted:

Agreed. But then again if you are as horrible as I am you cant enjoy things unless I am sure Im done with them. It bothers me when I have an open questline I havent finished in ages and it bothers me that I am not max level. Dont get me wrong, I still enjoy the game, I got a decently geared character and spend a good amount of time in pvp. But I still feel like it is going to be incredibly hard for new players to catch up with the old playerbase if they are going to start at the end of the year especially if they want to stay competitive in regards to pvp, sieges and the pvp engame in general. In fact Mediah was released and I wasnt even finished with the actual core game and now the next big update is coming only two or three months after that and so on and so on.
I have to admit that I am a bit worried because the gap between hard- and softcore players is growing extremely fast.

There are so many catch up mechanics already implemented that I don't think there will be any issues. Aside from experience levels there are fixed price markets for slightly less powerful Liverto and equipment/jewelry that guarantee the price doesn't increase even as rewards increase. A new player will be in a much better position to get +15 to +20 gear because they are getting higher rewards on drops, quests, and the big one time per account rewards for reaching milestones. They can outright buy the gear at a discount instead of having to grind it up manually like we had to back in our day.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
Catching up isn't that hard even in KR, which is almost 2 years deep. Enchantments benefits are linear, while the difficult is exponential meaning the cost of gearing is extremely high in the upper levels but fairly mild up to that point.

Example: Safety balls(not in NA) prevents items/Accs from exploding on fail. They cost a Mil each and a IV Ogre ring requires something like 4 Bil to insure just for a single attempt at success, which is around 10% at max stacks. That's the cost of getting 5 extra AP which is probably around a 2-3% increase in total AP in KR.

Many people can hit around the competitive mark (17-18+ gear) in 1-2 months and PvP fairly competently.

They also add in a hourly quests for Livertos, which brought the price down to around 2-3mil, meaning people don't even repair with Memory Fragments anymore. People also realized Liverto and Kzarka are exactly same AP/Accu so BIS weapon isn't even hard to get and Kzarka is only recommended for classes with inherent Crit.

Basically, unless you have a broken brain that tells you, you HAVE to be the greatest most geared person on the server, gear grind isn't that bad.

Edit: Few more tidbits about catching up when Valencia drops.

There is a questline for 7AP ring/earrings.

We get super reform stones for upgrading Blue->Orange that's 100% success

So that's something to look forward to in catching up.

Wassbix fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 19, 2016

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I just want to put this out there, that Yukii guy who horse wizards you nerds into the ground from Pax was level 56. At 51, I still put him into the ground every time we were on foot or I knocked him off his horse. Levels don't mean anything besides more health and more skill points. They will not magically hit you harder because you're lower level.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Wassbix posted:

People also realized Liverto and Kzarka are exactly same AP/Accu so BIS weapon isn't even hard to get and Kzarka is only recommended for classes with inherent Crit.

The accuracy testing guy on reddit claims otherwise. His data has been good so far, so I'm inclined to believe him.

Not that it really matters for most people.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, I want to say there is either an inherent accuracy bonus or an inherent evasion bonus of some sort depending on your level. Maybe both. This is why you will find it hard to hit purple mobs but when they're red or white you can hit them more often. I'm like 95% certain this works for player scaling. PVP is often chaotic so it can be hard to tell if you landed a hit or a target desynced or it hit but your accuracy caused you to miss but pretty sure level does offer an actual advantage along with gear. This doesn't mean it's impossible to take down a higher level player but it will make it harder to do so.

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013

sushibandit posted:

The accuracy testing guy on reddit claims otherwise. His data has been good so far, so I'm inclined to believe him.

The last thing I saw from the reddit accuracy testing guy was that he didn't have a liverto or kzarka, and couldn't do those tests.

But I haven't seen anything proving kzarka has more accuracy than liverto.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

sushibandit posted:

What is his claim? That Liverto has more hidden accuracy, or that Kzarka does?

Xzov posted:

The last thing I saw from the reddit accuracy testing guy was that he didn't have a liverto or kzarka, and couldn't do those tests.

But I haven't seen anything proving kzarka has more accuracy than liverto.

Which ones did he test, then?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 19, 2016

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

What is his claim? That Liverto has more hidden accuracy, or that Kzarka does?

Kzarka. And I believe it was a comment in the "DP doesn't give evasion, armor enhancement level does" thread.

Edit

Was this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/4hpup3/revision_accuracy_explained_tests_results_and/

Interestingly enough, I'm not seeing the comment I noticed anymore. It was a reply to someone asking if liverto or kzarka was better accuracy-wise, the response was along the lines of "definitely kzarka, but I'll get back to you once I've finished testing".

Odd.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 19, 2016

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013
Accuracy guy tested with a yuria.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
that accuracy dude owns since he is a self proclaimed phd student and wrote up something that would never pass peer review

at one point he states his test, what he thought he would get, states he got the exact opposite, then went MUST BE RNG LOL I'm still right and kept going.

ioneye
Apr 24, 2008
lewtt log in and update my contract to 1000 days

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

that accuracy dude owns since he is a self proclaimed phd student and wrote up something that would never pass peer review

at one point he states his test, what he thought he would get, states he got the exact opposite, then went MUST BE RNG LOL I'm still right and kept going.

I'm confused, don't you tailor your data to suit your preselected answer?

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

LOL

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Here is what we do know about accuracy.

People tested liverto, kzarka, and yuria.

They did not test any other weapon since obviously higher tier is better. Is the yuria better than the other crafted weapons? We have no loving idea.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
KR testings were done with +20 done from a crazy man that made both +20 liverto and Kzarka to test and if he couldn't find any difference I'm inclined to believe him honestly. That and Kzarka prices been constantly going down cause people aren't going to spend extra billions for 3% accuracy increase or something banal that some other tests showed.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I dont even log in once a day to leave it running. I am so much of a filthy casual in this game it isnt funny.

I tried to do some donkey trading, but ran into bandits that kicked my arse.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to eventually ultimate my kalis staff because gently caress it. Close enough.

Bronze pig stabber offhand, no idea if I'm gimping myself or not but it subjectively seems good.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I'm getting a lot of disconnects on Balenos O1 this morning. It's taken me three tries so far to swim from the Coastal Cave fishing hole to shore. Every time I get more than a couple feet I get the boot. Anyone else been having issues lately?

Edit: make that four, what the gently caress

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I kept getting disconnected like that last week and the only thing that fixed it for me was logging in to a different channel.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I'm getting a lot of disconnects on Balenos O1 this morning. It's taken me three tries so far to swim from the Coastal Cave fishing hole to shore. Every time I get more than a couple feet I get the boot. Anyone else been having issues lately?

Edit: make that four, what the gently caress

Welcome to the fishing glory hole. Open the menu and use Escape to get to shore.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah, after that 4th time I switched to Velia O1 and used escape for good measure. gently caress that noise.

So it's an issue with the fishing hole, not the server node? I don't recall ever having any issues getting to and from that spot when we were on Mediah O1

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
It's an issue whenever there are >X number of boats and players in one spot.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I think BO1 might just be having issues this morning. Grinded out a level on my alt before work and the desync was really really bad.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I was DC'd sometime on Balenos o1 last night so yeah, maybe. Oh well.

That one velia fishing hotspot is rife with disconnects just because it can't seem to handle all the boats or something though.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Every time I switch back to Velia O1 I have zero problems with that spot, and I've been getting DCs elswhere too (although admittedly way less often). Between that and the loving legion of war targets I have no chance against yet, I might be moving off Balenos for a bit.

Should probably find a new hotspot either way though, I have a boat now.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Just ask jerkjerk to clear it out for you before fishing.

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!
Should go to the Fishing Hotspot outside of Olvia, right below the Thermian Cliff. Far fewer people than the Velia spot and more often not "Exhausted." Don't even need to swim/boat to get to it, you fish right on the coastline.
http://bdocore.com/map/
It's fishing spot TH-CL1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Wyrmthang posted:

Should go to the Fishing Hotspot outside of Olvia, right below the Thermian Cliff. Far fewer people than the Velia spot and more often not "Exhausted." Don't even need to swim/boat to get to it, you fish right on the coastline.
http://bdocore.com/map/
It's fishing spot TH-CL1

I've fished there and it's great, but it's kind of a pain to get to and from. I fish from work via remote desktop, so I need to be able to autopath at least some of the way to and from a trader (by boat or wagon ideally, but that's not a must).

The Coastal Cave spot requires you to swim manually from the beach, but after that I can Escape out and autopilot to and from the Velia trader. Pretty low input all told. The Thermain Cliffs gently caress up autopath something serious, or at least they did the last time I tried to get there by wagon.

Edit: my last attempt at abusing Escape to get back to shore dropped me right back onto the boat pile... and then disconnected me. Looks like I do need a new spot. :cripes:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 20, 2016