Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Did you throw a grenade hard enough to rip a guy apart before you even exploded him?

I like how there's a damage model for cutting a guys legs off at the feet. Apparently sliding slicing Corvo is entirely intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

From what we've seen of the game, the developers gave you the slide move in the first place so you could hack people's knees off.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

From what we've seen of the game, the developers gave you the slide move in the first place so you could hack people's knees off.

It would be a terrible waste of a dismember-able model otherwise!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Corvo has failed to stop two and a half coup attempts.

He is the shittiest lord protector.

Orv
May 4, 2011
All I'm saying, is that the physics impetus of grenades can be used to do a great many things.

Most of them borderline regicide.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Orv posted:

All I'm saying, is that the physics impetus of grenades can be used to do a great many things.

Most of them borderline regicide.

Did you bonk Emily with a grenade? :mad:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It would be a terrible waste of a dismember-able model otherwise!

Let's Play Dismembered

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Dareon posted:

There are whale oil tanks available before the Havelock standoff :devil:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Dareon posted:

Look, sometimes you have to bank your shot and if you're really good, you take all surfaces into account.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zagglezig posted:

Look, sometimes you have to bank your shot and if you're really good, you take all surfaces into account.

You're giving my latent sociopathy too much credit.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, Stephen Russel voicing Corvo is probably going to be a very good thing. Been playing a lot of Fallout 4 lately and he voices a new character in the Far Harbor DLC and they all sound very distinct from the other two he usually does (Codsworth and Nick Valentine, British Robo-butler and Humphrey Bogart respectively). Guy's probably gonna knock it out of the park as Corvo.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Guy voiced like half the characters in the TTLG games. He's got a range.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

So, Stephen Russel voicing Corvo is probably going to be a very good thing. Been playing a lot of Fallout 4 lately and he voices a new character in the Far Harbor DLC and they all sound very distinct from the other two he usually does (Codsworth and Nick Valentine, British Robo-butler and Humphrey Bogart respectively). Guy's probably gonna knock it out of the park as Corvo.

Oh, I don't have any doubt about his range; I'm a little more concerned about the voice direction. I kinda feel like with Dishonored, Bethesda went for the big-name talent, but some of them came off sounding a bit flat to me.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Brainamp posted:

Guy voiced like half the characters in the TTLG games. He's got a range.

This is the sort of guy that might as well just voice every character.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DknzLFEXxog

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hahaha that's amazing.

Also he never lost a fight in the end. drat that guard was good.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I wonder if that counts as a clean hands violation.

Probably not.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I love how he remained in attention at the end, very dignified.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Poil posted:

I love how he remained in attention at the end, very dignified.

British military. Stiff upper lip.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

double nine posted:

British Empire of the Isles military. Stiff upper lip.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

potato po'kato

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

double nine posted:

British military. Stiff upper lip.
True, you may be falling to your death in a pool of your own piss with your dick out but by god you will face that end as behoves a true soldier of the empire sounds very British.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Poil posted:

True, you may be falling to your death in a pool of your own piss with your dick out but by god you will face that end as behoves a true soldier of the empire sounds very British.
Now the question is: did he zip up his fly before gracefully falling to his death, or was his junk flapping in the breeze during the fall?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
So, since my good PC has been long dead, I've recently decided to do a replay of the game with the Definitive Edition on PS4, this time trying for High Chaos Ghost after my original, super clumsy, Clean Hands run on PC. I played super fidgety throughout the first area since you don't have supernatural powers, but even then I was able to stumble onto a little bit of Science.

So, it's around that large vertical drop in the sewers, that leads into that open room with several enemies which is connected to that hermit's secret space. I get in, get up top, and take out a couple enemies with the crossbow.,the second of which has his head taken clean off. Not able to find the head after cleaning up, I assume it was completely gibbed by the crossbow and then wander around a bit, struggling to cope with not having Acrobatics. After going through the hermit's room, I decide to take a little swim, and then... Science. It's not quite as exciting as that other thing that was just posted, but still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcIMZMTiRB8

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Coolguye posted:

I wonder if that counts as a clean hands violation.

Probably not.

Unless there's a faucet at the bottom then yeah there's no clean hands.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Low Chaos Update

Light at the End
: Youtube Polsy

Torlon
Oct 27, 2007

Kittens, you have to get them before they get you
That was not how I expected that run to go but I think Starscream would've been proud of that plan.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
When you brought up the Domino power, at first I thought it was going go in the direction of "one guard takes a piss, all linked guards wet their pants". Because really, what do we know these guards for.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
All aimed in the direction of Coolguye's bed

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The final confrontation with Havelock on the Low Chaos route is a little disappointing to me, compared to the glorious psychopathy everyone displays in High Chaos. The result is more or less the same, Martin and Pendleton dead without your needing to intervene, but Havelock explaining himself to a room full of corpses just doesn't have the same bite to it.

You mentioned during the credits that you'd like to see a stat on "Guards Humiliated" or along those lines, and Alpha Protocol actually does you one better. They have at least three stats for various permutations of "Enemies killed/neutralized": Enemies Killed, self-explanatory. Medical Bills Incurred, for the various broken arms and faces from close-range takedowns (Unfortunately it's not clear how this is calculated). And Orphans Created, for lethal playthroughs. When you're fighting Middle Eastern enemies, who tend to have a lot of children, the number goes up proportionately, but Chinese enemies, with China's one-child-per-family policy, only increase the count by one.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dareon posted:

And Orphans Created, for lethal playthroughs. When you're fighting Middle Eastern enemies, who tend to have a lot of children, the number goes up proportionately, but Chinese enemies, with China's one-child-per-family policy, only increase the count by one.
white people frequently don't increase the counter at all

but yeah that stat meant I could never nut up to doing a lethal playthrough in AP, it hosed me up too much

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Coolguye posted:

white people frequently don't increase the counter at all

but yeah that stat meant I could never nut up to doing a lethal playthrough in AP, it hosed me up too much

Have you thought about doing diverging playthroughs of AP for an LP?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Weird I just finished AP last night. What happened to all the women in these people's lives that made them single fathers?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Have you thought about doing diverging playthroughs of AP for an LP?

There are already two exceptional AP LPs out there that cover just about everything, and we're already eyeing a bunch of other stuff. Never say never though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
One of the writers for AP is a goon, if you did ever end up doing one, you might be able to get him to co-commentate if you were searching for something more to add that the others didn't have.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah there's a couple of games I really enjoy that I'd like to get folks in on like that. I've got huge respect for Chewbot for example, and I would love to get him in on some Banner Saga action but that is another game that would require a lot of thinking about what makes sense on execution. Also with how hard he busted his rear end on TBS1 I'm sure he is ready to loving hibernate for a month right now.

Fortunately some changes are forthcoming in my personal life that'll open up some opportunities to at least talk more about this stuff.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm reading the German Gamestar magazine, and they mention one incredibly cool upgrade to the Chaos system I haven't seen anywhere else: At the start of each level, each guard and civilian NPC will get randomly assigned whether they're nice guys, got a guilty conscience, or are ruthless killers. Killing them will increase chaos according to that, and you can use the heart to tell you who is which.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

They kinda did something like that in this game, in that the Heart will tell you that a lot of dudes murdered the gently caress out of their cousins, partners, wives, etc, but it's all just pulled from a list so everyone's a dbag if you click the heart at them long enough.

That is definitely interesting, though, and makes me wonder if the Chaos system will be more complicated or granular than what we've seen this game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It'd be hard for them to make it simpler, I tell you what.

That last low-Chaos update was a joy to behold. You can do so much with this combat engine, that I never even tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I got a serious case of the :unsmith: when I finished this game on no-kill low-chaos and the steam achievement popped up showing Corvo's mask backlit by a sunrise and the title "Just Dark Enough".

So much so, that I haven't actually touched the game since. That run was just too, well, pristine for me to ruin it with anything else.

That said - and this is one of the things I love about you lot - when you guys love a game, you make a game out of having fun with it, be that through gleeful murderous mayhem or pranks and tomfoolery along the way. I'm very glad you decided to show off Dishonored with your particular brand of showmanship and I can't wait for whatever next thing you've got lined up after Knife of Dunwall. You're all cool, guys!

• Locked thread