Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ouch a clams start i dont envy him

really bad city count though at T100, sheesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
All I need from this game is to strike a balance between ICS and having 4 cities be optimal forever and ever. I would also be happy with Obama being the American leader, though that ain't happening.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The American leader will be Martin Luther King Jr, following the tradition of Gandhi.

I wonder if they'll phase workers out entirely. It never really made sense that your average untrained citizens are capable of working the fields and/or mines uninterrupted for centuries, yet are apparently wholly incapable of plowing/digging the first step. And more importantly, it's a really huge hassle as you get later in the game. I've always assumed the reason they existed was mostly to give you something to do early on when you only have a couple of cities and aren't at war, but if the districts can replace that then there's really no need for them.

And yes, I know the article mentioned some kind of engineer, but the implication seemed to be that they'd do special things like make roads specifically for your troops (as opposed to the ordinary roads formed through trade routes). I guess they could also build.. bridges? Tunnels? Mt. Rushmore?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Clarste posted:

I wonder if they'll phase workers out entirely. It never really made sense that your average untrained citizens are capable of working the fields and/or mines uninterrupted for centuries, yet are apparently wholly incapable of plowing/digging the first step. And more importantly, it's a really huge hassle as you get later in the game. I've always assumed the reason they existed was mostly to give you something to do early on when you only have a couple of cities and aren't at war, but if the districts can replace that then there's really no need for them.

They also gave players something to capture/liberate, making diplo relations more interesting (a way to grab influence with city states for instance).

In terms of theme, I think the worker represents huge infrastructure projects organised by central government, that otherwise wouldn't be undertaken by the ordinary citizenry trying to get on in life. A villager can't afford to drain a swamp, but will happily work a field (I guess this should go out of the window when Corporations come along, though - only they can marshal enough capital investment to take on a government-sized project)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

They also gave players something to capture/liberate, making diplo relations more interesting (a way to grab influence with city states for instance).

If they manage to make "war" a less binary situation than it is now, I'll be glad to have workers around as a way to make Civ vs Civ interaction more interesting. Right now the only other gameplay value they offer is the opportunity cost between building a granary or a worker.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

majormonotone posted:

why wouldn't you want to be a bee anyway, bees are cool

because bees die after they sting. and boy bees die after mating, or starve/freeze to death when they're kicked out of the hive after failing to mate.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
When will I be able top have terrorist units that can covertly go into cities and wreck infrastructure

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Xelkelvos posted:

When will I be able top have terrorist units that can covertly go into cities and wreck infrastructure

Like in Civ1 and MOO? That would be cool. Especially if there is a chance to find out if it was state-sponsored terrorism.

Sadly, the current climate won't allow it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Privateers were the coolest in Civ IV.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I read this as "tourist units". Now I want a unit that can go into cities and wreck the local culture.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Rexides posted:

I read this as "tourist units". Now I want a unit that can go into cities and wreck the local culture.

Chinese bonus unit. Chinese tourists destroy culture of enemy civilization.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Geight posted:

Privateers were the coolest in Civ IV.

They really should flesh that out so we can have concepts like borders wars and other minor conflicts rather than going all out to wipe a civ off the map.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the idea of cold or hidden wars sounds cool, but bts privateers were completely broken. their blocking area was way too big: a 5x5 square, which exerted itself onto water tiles that the privateer had no physical access to. plus, they could tile block even if military ships were present, meaning the main line military had no choice charge into privateers sitting on defensive coastal terrain

also, privateers completely broke the AI

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Cythereal posted:

For a few Civ ideas that haven't been seen before in the series, here's a few random ideas while I'm bored:

Argentina, lead by Cornelio Saavedra

Argentina needs to be led by Evita no joke

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

also, privateers completely broke the AI

You literally described my last game, just a couple of my privateers were able to brutally school a squadron of Korean Turtle Ships and then start pounding Seoul.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I unironically wanted a terrorist or subversion mechanic in the game. If you're steam rolling everyone, and keep razing cities, pillaging tiles, capturing workers, capturing territories, etc. why WOULDN"T lesser nations use terrorism against you? Unhappiness should have a lot more impact on your civ ala Endless Legend (but also be more manageable without the stupid more cities thing). I think that would be an excellent addition to late gameplay that would add an extra dimension vs just parking a spy somewhere.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I'd like to see the partisan mechanic come back. That was cool.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Fwiw, Spies technically do the job of what a "Terrorist" unit would do. Sorta. In CBP, they actually do things such as "Assassinations" or start Riots and other stuff. It's automated due to the confines of the system, but it's a good start. Further development would obviously involve direct hits to Happiness or the damaging of growth.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Didn't BE have a similar system?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think they need to do some specific mechanics for nuclear warfare. As it is, first strikes win every time, which means if you're playing to win you start nuking the moment you get one.

It'd be cool if you could pre-aim your nukes and if someone launches, everyone launches.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yep. They could also buy you strategic resources off the black market, recruit defector units from other factions, and other goodies.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gort posted:

I think they need to do some specific mechanics for nuclear warfare. As it is, first strikes win every time, which means if you're playing to win you start nuking the moment you get one.

It'd be cool if you could pre-aim your nukes and if someone launches, everyone launches.

Yeah I'd kill for a proper MAD mechanic. Hopefully with this new district system we'll be able to see missile silos move out of cities, too.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah. But I'd want it to be less spies and more a cultural thing. A way for losing players to still shape the game.

Also why the hell hasn't Canada been included in these games. They need to include Canada.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I seriously can't even tell which posts about Canada are real anymore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish there was a rise of nations 2. gently caress you curt schilling.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish there was a rise of nations 2. gently caress you curt schilling.

Wait that wasn't the same studio was it?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
got bought out so when 38 died everything died with it

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Phobophilia posted:

got bought out so when 38 died everything died with it

I thought they were Big Huge Games. That sucks. Rise of Nations was legit the best game since age of empires in that genre.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gort posted:

Agreed. That's the best way to do it and the series really needs it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah, having nukes just doesn't seem like it has the impact it does in real life. Getting nukes should pretty much stop any non nuclear power from daring to declare war on you.

Then again that's late game and if we know anything about Civ, it's that late game is pretty much an afterthought. I think it was Soren himself on the Idle Thumb strategy podcast that said people in Firaxis actually considered having the game end after the medieval period.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 20, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
If they wanna stick with an Empress of Byzantium, I'm hoping for Irene.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Jastiger posted:

I thought they were Big Huge Games. That sucks. Rise of Nations was legit the best game since age of empires in that genre.

rise of nations might be the only game since age of empires in that genre

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

skooma512 posted:

Yeah, having nukes just doesn't seem like it has the impact it does in real life. Getting nukes should pretty much stop any non nuclear power from daring to declare war on you.

Then again that's late game and if we know anything about Civ, it's that late game is pretty much an afterthought. I think it was Soren himself on the Idle Thumb strategy podcast that said people in Firaxis actually considered having the game end after the medieval period.

That just reminded me, I've had an odd scenario play out once or twice on deity in Civ5 whereupon getting nukes, every neighbour's status changed into 'Afraid' for a few turns. After just googling it now, it seems more common early game on the lower difficulties and is totally non-nuke-related. Has anyone ever managed to capitalize on it?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

That just reminded me, I've had an odd scenario play out once or twice on deity in Civ5 whereupon getting nukes, every neighbour's status changed into 'Afraid' for a few turns. After just googling it now, it seems more common early game on the lower difficulties and is totally non-nuke-related. Has anyone ever managed to capitalize on it?

Nukes count massively for army score, so building a few could easily make the AI think you massively out-military them. I've definitely seen that happen on Emperor.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gamerofthegame posted:

rise of nations might be the only game since age of empires in that genre

Age of Wonders, Empire Earth to name a few.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

One of those predates Rise of Nations, and the other isn't remotely in the same genre.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
EE is also not very good in hindsight. The AI cheats like crazy and the graphics aged horribly. RoN definitely won the "RTS with the works" crown.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jastiger posted:

yeah he bought big huge games. so when 38 studios died it died.

ron has my fave gaming memory. me and two friends were playing and i had wrecked one friend and the other friend had one city left. armageddon clock was at 1 but the destroyed friend and me both had missile shield so it's all good.

the friend with one city chats "see you in hell bitches" and nukes himself.

game over nobody wins.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 20, 2016

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I hope they don't scrap the things Beyond Earth did that were cool because it flopped. I would love for Civ 6 to have the quest system because it adds a lot of flavor and granular adjustment that I like a lot, even if some of them are no brainers always take option A no matter what. The various dig sites were a real good addition too, although I hope the scout/explorer analog default to being able to do it more than once baseline without having to return to a city. I also really liked the diplomacy system and I would very much prefer it over something similar to 5's. At bare minimum the twitter feed is a huge improvement over getting bothered between turns.

On the flipside, I hope none of the victory conditions in 6 are a giant pain in the rear end like 3 out of 5 victory conditions in BE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

I hope they don't scrap the things Beyond Earth did that were cool because it flopped. I would love for Civ 6 to have the quest system because it adds a lot of flavor and granular adjustment that I like a lot, even if some of them are no brainers always take option A no matter what.

I hope you are talking about the multi-stage quests and not the building "quests", because those sucked and felt more like a 13-year-old's first attempt at modding than something a professional game designer would do.