Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

evilweasel posted:

It won't because the petitioners will be replaced by new petitioners who challenge the new rules. Remember, the actual issue here is that the petitioners don't like obamacare or don't like contraception, an the government isn't giving away either of those.

Virelli all but spells this out in one of his briefs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rygar201 posted:

Virelli all but spells this out in one of his briefs too.

In the recent reply brief.

quote:

at no time in these lengthy proceedings have petitioners ever suggested that an alternative like the one posited in the Court’s order would allay their religious objections to the accommodation, and they have never urged such an arrangement as a less-restrictive means of advancing the governmental interests at stake. To the contrary, petitioners have taken pains not to endorse such an alternative. For example, counsel for the Zubik petitioners was asked at oral argument whether petitioners could accept any procedure in which their insurers provided separate contraceptive coverage to petitioners’ employees and their beneficiaries. Tr. 41-44. Counsel identified only one possibility, stating that if the government chose a single insurer such as Aetna “to provide contraceptive coverage to all women in this country” at the government’s expense, then petitioners “probably” would not object to Aetna providing separate coverage to their employees even if one or more petitioners also “happened to use Aetna” to provide the employees’ other health coverage.
http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/US-response-to-Zubik-order-4-12-16.pdf

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Yeah he said it a bunch of times in oral argument as well. That's what I was referring to when I said that Zubik&co significantly narrowed their claims. They did it pre-Scalia as well so that wasn't the impetus.

clarification: oral arguments were post-Scalia but IIRC they narrowed it in their initial briefs

esquilax fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 16, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trump has released his list of potential Supreme Court nominees. Quoted from the Trump thread:

zoux posted:

Ok here they are

quote:

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has released a list of 11 potential Supreme Court justices he plans to vet to fill the seat of late Justice Antonin Scalia.

Trump's picks include Steven Colloton of Iowa, Allison Eid of Colorado and Raymond Gruender of Missouri.

Also on the list are: Thomas Hardiman of Pennsylvania, Raymond Kethledge of Michigan, Joan Larsen of Michigan, Thomas Lee of Utah, William Pryor of Alabama, David Stras of Minnesota, Diane Sykes of Wisconsin and Don Willett of Texas.

Trump said in March he planned to release the list to ease concerns about his conservative credentials in the Republican primary.

He said then the list would include judges "that everybody respects, likes and totally admires" and "great conservative judges, great intellects, the people that you want."

Don Willet is on the TX Supreme Court but all I know about him is his extremely strong twitter game.
Do any of you know anything about these judges?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Lot of GWB circuit court appointees, conservative state Supreme Court justices. Wouldn't have been surprised to see the same list come from Cruz.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalman posted:

Lot of GWB circuit court appointees, conservative state Supreme Court justices. Wouldn't have been surprised to see the same list come from Cruz.

Yeah. Pryor in particular was a conservative judicial darling a while back, possibly because he said "that Roe was 'the worst abomination in constitutional law in history.'"

Edit: John Yoo approves.

quote:

These names are a Federalist Society all-star list of conservative jurisprudence. In the interest of full disclosure, I will note that I count several of them as colleagues and friends. It is a good sign that, on one of a president’s most important decisions, Trump clearly turned to the Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation for advice.
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/435570/donald-trump-judicial-appointments-list-outstanding-conservatives

ulmont fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 18, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Justice Willett has a great twitter game, and thinks Lochner was correctly decided.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
http://www.vox.com/2016/5/18/11703520/trump-supreme-court-twitter

The best one is "Low-energy Trump University has never made it to #MarchMadness. Or even the #NIT. Sad!

Twitter game is on point for sure. I wonder if adding him to the list is a weird counter-troll. I don't totally get what's happening to be honest.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I'm kind of surprised no one ever floated Easterbrook to replace Scalia. People really don't like new textualism

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So does this mean Hillary is going to release her list of proposed NSF Grants to create Ginsberg-Sotomayor hybrid justices in response to Trump's list?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Trump has released his list of potential Supreme Court nominees. Quoted from the Trump thread:

Don Willet is on the TX Supreme Court but all I know about him is his extremely strong twitter game.
Do any of you know anything about these judges?
[/quote]

:laugh:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
One of the others is insane, though.
William Pryor.
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...n_recent_memory

Also there's nude pictures of him floating around.
Search for Bill Pryor and legalschnauzer and that should bring you to them.

Pretty sure someone didn't do their due diligence and there is no way in hell Trump made this list himself.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Warcabbit posted:

One of the others is insane, though.
William Pryor.
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...n_recent_memory

Also there's nude pictures of him floating around.
Search for Bill Pryor and legalschnauzer and that should bring you to them.

Pretty sure someone didn't do their due diligence and there is no way in hell Drumpf made this list himself.

Definitely. Trump hadn't heard of any of these guys until minutes before that list went public.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oklahoma passed an Abortion ban that makes it a felony to give an Abortion.

Guys, unless Trump wins you are not overturning Roe. Nice wishful thinking, though.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

CommieGIR posted:

Guys, unless Trump wins you are not overturning Roe. Nice wishful thinking, though.

:(

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Is this just an effort to embezzle state funds defending their godawful laws to shitheels like Liberty Counsel? There's basically zero chance that they win these, even with a 8 member SCOTUS.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Party Plane Jones posted:

Is this just an effort to embezzle state funds defending their godawful laws to shitheels like Liberty Counsel? There's basically zero chance that they win these, even with a 8 member SCOTUS.

That is a pretty good question - can the slimy-assed AG bill the state for defending or is it one of the duties they are supposed to do without extra pay?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

FAUXTON posted:

That is a pretty good question - can the slimy-assed AG bill the state for defending or is it one of the duties they are supposed to do without extra pay?

Greg Abbott spent 2.5 million suing the federal government on behalf of the state of Texas

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EwokEntourage posted:

Greg Abbott spent 2.5 million suing the federal government on behalf of the state of Texas

I assume it mostly got marked down as billable hours for whatever cloven-hoof piece of trash the state retained from the klan as counsel?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

I assume it mostly got marked down as billable hours for whatever cloven-hoof piece of trash the state retained from the klan as counsel?

It's the AG office that does it for Texas. "The AG's office withdrew eight cases, including a lawsuit over medical benefits for same-sex couples that was filed last March. "

Also apparently it's been 5.1 million - https://www.texastribune.org/2015/07/31/texas-vs-federal-government

I think in some states, if the state refuses/declines to pursue the manner, private parties can sue on the behalf of state citizens? Not sure.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ABC News posted:

Oklahoma lawmakers have moved to effectively ban abortion in their state by making it a felony for doctors to perform the procedure...

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/oklahoma-lawmakers-bill-criminalizing-performing-abortion-39231148

I hope this leads to an even stronger ruling than Roe v. Wade.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

EwokEntourage posted:

I think in some states, if the state refuses/declines to pursue the manner, private parties can sue on the behalf of state citizens? Not sure.

NC has been doing it this way. Our AG Roy Cooper has refused to defend/sue a bunch of things, so governor mcjerk has been letting private groups make the case instead.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Guess all of those women with ectopic pregnancies are just going to have to bleed out and die!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Guess all of those women with ectopic pregnancies are just going to have to bleed out and die!

Oh, it's okay! There's an exception for life of the mother, so nothing to worry about!

Doomed fetus? deformed fetus? Risk of health to mother? Twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome? Forget it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, it's okay! There's an exception for life net worth of the mother, so nothing to worry about!

Fixed. If anyone thinks that upper middle class and rich women aren't going to find a way to abort their children that person is very naive.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Radish posted:

Fixed. If anyone thinks that upper middle class and rich women aren't going to find a way to abort their children that person is very naive.

You didn't fix anything, you just made it about an entirely different point?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Governor vetoed it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...form-abortions/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Good. Did they pass the trans bathroom bill?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I have an idiot cousin who just got in trouble for her dumb hillbilly medicinal practice. Specifically, treating cancer with b17 with a "pastoral" licence. I assume this is the standard private certificate factory that holds no legal authority whatsoever. Family is asking me why she's getting arrested and I don't really have an answer as I thought that, while idiotic and repugnant, quackery like that was still legal especially within religious confines.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Schizotek posted:

I have an idiot cousin who just got in trouble for her dumb hillbilly medicinal practice. Specifically, treating cancer with b17 with a "pastoral" licence. I assume this is the standard private certificate factory that holds no legal authority whatsoever. Family is asking me why she's getting arrested and I don't really have an answer as I thought that, while idiotic and repugnant, quackery like that was still legal especially within religious confines.

Why are they asking you?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
B17 taken by mouth can cause cyanide poisoning. Your cousin was poisoning people and in particular the use of B17 to treat cancer is something tracked and prosecuted by the FDA.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Just to be clear, "Vitamin B17" is not a vitamin. It's Laetrile. It occasionally kills people, especially children who get into pill bottles, but it never makes them better.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Why are they asking you?

Because I'm the family's designated "smart person". I'm pretty sure lots of family's have that one poor sod who becomes the target of any complex question regardless of whether its reasonable for them to know anything about it. Mostly it comes down to being able to use google and filter out all of the lovely sources of bad information but google's failed me pretty hard in this instance. Although that's probably because of the way they framed it. I was looking for stuff on PMAs and their legality, but yeah it was probably more about the B17 stuff.

Cranappleberry posted:

B17 taken by mouth can cause cyanide poisoning. Your cousin was poisoning people and in particular the use of B17 to treat cancer is something tracked and prosecuted by the FDA.

They're pretty predisoposed towards conspiracy theories. Once ranted at me for hours about mercury vortexes for some kind of scifi engine crazy people think exists. She probably legitimately thinks the government is suppressing cancer cures for nefarious reasons.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Schizotek posted:

Because I'm the family's designated "smart person". I'm pretty sure lots of family's have that one poor sod who becomes the target of any complex question regardless of whether its reasonable for them to know anything about it. Mostly it comes down to being able to use google and filter out all of the lovely sources of bad information but google's failed me pretty hard in this instance. Although that's probably because of the way they framed it. I was looking for stuff on PMAs and their legality, but yeah it was probably more about the B17 stuff.

They're pretty predisoposed towards conspiracy theories. Once ranted at me for hours about mercury vortexes for some kind of scifi engine crazy people think exists. She probably legitimately thinks the government is suppressing cancer cures for nefarious reasons.

Tell them that your cousin was giving patients :siren::siren:CHEMICALS:siren::siren: that made them sick.

Or perhaps TOXINS.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Schizotek posted:

If you post in the legal question thread you might luck into a defense lawyer. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

Wtf is a pastoral license

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

EwokEntourage posted:

If you post in the legal question thread you might luck into a defense lawyer. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

Well you see priests are basically the same thing as clerics so they have bonus points in the healing skill. Basically the same thing as medical school.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Deuce posted:

Well you see priests are basically the same thing as clerics so they have bonus points in the healing skill. Basically the same thing as medical school.

But where do Druids and shamans fit in

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

EwokEntourage posted:

A pastoral license is more or less a certificate that shows an existing religion/denomination recognizes the person with the license as being a representative of their church. Basically it shows you're totally official and not just some dude who is the ordained cleric of the church of Larry. Which is ironic, because probably the vast majority of people who have a pastoral license did an online thing to become an ordained ministers. Officially becoming the ordaned cleric of the church of Larry. Also different religions/denominations have different rules as to whether or not a license even means anything.

Judging by the description, the cousin is probably part of some faith based counseling thing that uses pastoral licenses as a "regulatory" method of showing that they're totally certified to spiritually offer alternatives to secular psychology, psychotherapy, and such. Basically organized quackery that gives an official veneer to the desire to cure the world with crystals and other such alternative healing techniques for the enlightened.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gyges posted:

A pastoral license is more or less a certificate that shows an existing religion/denomination recognizes the person with the license as being a representative of their church. Basically it shows you're totally official and not just some dude who is the ordained cleric of the church of Larry. Which is ironic, because probably the vast majority of people who have a pastoral license did an online thing to become an ordained ministers. Officially becoming the ordaned cleric of the church of Larry. Also different religions/denominations have different rules as to whether or not a license even means anything.

Judging by the description, the cousin is probably part of some faith based counseling thing that uses pastoral licenses as a "regulatory" method of showing that they're totally certified to spiritually offer alternatives to secular psychology, psychotherapy, and such. Basically organized quackery that gives an official veneer to the desire to cure the world with crystals and other such alternative healing techniques for the enlightened.

A few states recognize Pastoral Certificates as 'alternatives' to medical practitioners, especially in states where alternative medicine is rampant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Schizotek posted:

Because I'm the family's designated "smart person". I'm pretty sure lots of family's have that one poor sod who becomes the target of any complex question regardless of whether its reasonable for them to know anything about it. Mostly it comes down to being able to use google and filter out all of the lovely sources of bad information...

Wait a minute...are you me?