Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

holy poo poo looking at the picture closer it doesn't even look like the harnesses they're wearing would do much to arrest a fall.
What are you talking about? The straps snapping their collarbones has got to take a good chunk of energy out of the equation as long as they don't have a long enough drop to reach terminal velocity. This is, of course, assuming infinite-strength barbed wire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Glass Joe posted:

In Search Of...Workplace Safety.

Though I'm not really sure Union Carbide is the best company to listen to in order to prevent accidents from happening.

Maybe it's a court-mandated PSA type thing they had to do.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Don't know why they'd need it. Most protestors that show up at Tiananmen Square are quickly arrested by plain clothes secret police who bundle them up in unmarked vans to be driven off to a secret detention area. Move along comrade nothing to see here.

Hahaha! You're being so paranoid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNXv7QX3Ue8

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

`Nemesis posted:

Here have a CSV file of worker fatalities

https://www.osha.gov/dep/fatcat/FatalitiesFY10.csv

FY 2010,01/15/10,01/11/10,"HIP Inc. Milwaukee, WI 53202","Worker was working on a roof/deck and fell into an elevator shaft, 30-feet."
FY 2010,01/15/10,01/11/10,"Scaffolding Rental and Erection Services, LLC McPherson, KS 67460",Worker was erecting a scaffold and fell 30-feet to the ground.
FY 2010,01/15/10,01/15/10,"Sturgeion Electric Company, Inc. Broomfield, CO 80020",Worker fell off bucket 30-feet striking utility lines during his descent.

Whats with the ubiquitous 30ft?

I was shocked to find out that 30,000+ people in the US die of falls each year. We literally fall down or off something and die...

A very long link to CDC stats on falling...

My hope is to go as a "W06 Fall involving bed"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Zachary Construction Corp., Mansfield, LA 71052",Decedent was walking across a tank and fell through a hatch into a tank of boiling water. He either drowned or died of thermal burns."

poo poo

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Stories where something was monitored but they still can't say for sure what the actual cause of death was are probably the most gruesome

Yes, I know you'll probably post something about a meat processor or a lathe, I still say my point stands

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Stories where something was monitored but they still can't say for sure what the actual cause of death was are probably the most gruesome

Yes, I know you'll probably post something about a meat processor or a lathe, I still say my point stands

When I was a kid, a worker at Dow Chemical fell into a vat of hot caustic soda. He dissolved completely.

Dow paid to bury the entire vat as his grave.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Cheaper than shipping it to dump in some random spot in Africa!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Deteriorata posted:

When I was a kid, a worker at Dow Chemical fell into a vat of hot caustic soda. He dissolved completely.

Dow paid to bury the entire vat as his grave.

Guy I knew did his metallurgy thesis on what happens to a batch of steel in a Chicago steel mill if someone falls in and burns to death floating on the surface.

This was a while ago, when Chicago still had steel mills.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Phanatic posted:

Guy I knew did his metallurgy thesis on what happens to a batch of steel in a Chicago steel mill if someone falls in and burns to death floating on the surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTNuldPhP20&t=270s

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

Phanatic posted:

This was a while ago, when Chicago still had steel mills.

So uh... what happens? I would assume the whole gets thrown out because its contaminated or do they just label it as A36 or some other low grade and sell it on the cheap

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Looks fine as long as you only look at the top half of the picture.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GopherFlats posted:

So uh... what happens? I would assume the whole gets thrown out because its contaminated or do they just label it as A36 or some other low grade and sell it on the cheap

I didn't read it, it's probably in some hard bound copy buried in a cardboard box in his basement or attic like most pre-Internet theses. Molten steel's going to be waaay denser than a person so he'd float around on top like a cork in mercury, but it's also hot enough to vaporize most of him. So maybe not a whole lot. And of course the steam explosion's going to be throwing molten steel everywhere. Kind of like this except with a person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq7DDk8eLs8

I guess the legal concerns would outweigh the metallurgical implications.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Didn't this come up elsewhere, I think in this very thread, regarding the idea of mob body disposal? I seem to recall the conclusion was something like 'provided you got a body wholly dissolved in there, you just have to refine it a bit longer to get the small amount of extra carbon out'.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Wrong thread that dude is pro as gently caress

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I could have sworn in the last thread something mentioned this happening, and that the man's body 'skittered around the top of the molten metal like a drop of water in a hot oiled pan', or something to the effect. Less sinking and more floating around until it 'dissolved'. I could be remembering wrong though.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Doesn't look like the volcano god was too pleased with that offering, but not angered enough to really make a big effort at wrathfulness. Kind of like "What is this poo poo?!? .... Meh."

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Karma Monkey posted:

Maybe it's a court-mandated PSA type thing they had to do.

Nope, it was made in 1977, Bhopal was 1984.

It's simply ironic.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Awesome.jpg

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Speaking of a body ruining a batch? What about that guy who ended up inside a uranium furnace and the Ferdinand Feeds plant in Ohio? David Bocks?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

GopherFlats posted:

I can't find a source for it now, but I no-poo poo read that they'd pour an ingot the weight of a man and give it to the family to put in the casket. This happened often enough in the early days of Bessemer blast furnaces that that's the protocol that developed.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

neonbregna posted:

Wrong thread that dude is pro as gently caress

"Pro as gently caress" is still OSHA, there were no warnings for falling timber, no hard hats, the deck splintered during the felling, that's a write-up... *check on the clipboard*

I'm sure the guy put a lot of effort to fell that tree exactly that way, but a few degrees would mean the difference between "awesome lumberjacking" and "OHSA thread DIY-failure content"

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I can't find a source for it now, but I no-poo poo read that they'd pour an ingot the weight of a man and give it to the family to put in the casket. This happened often enough in the early days of Bessemer blast furnaces that that's the protocol that developed.

Given the enterprising nature of early America, I'm curious to know what manner of objects out there are made from "dead man steel" or whatever you call that.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glass Joe posted:

Nope, it was made in 1977, Bhopal was 1984.

It's simply ironic.

:stare: Hooooly poo poo when they were talking about an incident in 1981 to warn future viewers i thought they were talking about bhopal, and i was gonna make the joke that it would have been so prophetic if they made it before that incident :stare:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

:stare: Hooooly poo poo when they were talking about an incident in 1981 to warn future viewers i thought they were talking about bhopal, and i was gonna make the joke that it would have been so prophetic if they made it before that incident :stare:

Just as an aside, the Bhopal incident was almost certainly sabotage, not an accident. The water got into the diisocyanate by a tap that was only used for cleaning when the plant was down for maintenance. A garden hose had been connected to it by someone who did not understand what would happen. His only intent was to ruin the batch.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Mistle posted:

Given the enterprising nature of early America, I'm curious to know what manner of objects out there are made from "dead man steel" or whatever you call that.

Romantic answer is skyscraper frames, but you know it's going to actually be stuff like manhole covers or shower drains

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Here's a pretty horrible steel foundry disaster from China.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qinghe_Special_Steel_Corporation_disaster

quote:

This liquid steel then burst through the windows and door of an adjoining room five meters away where workers had gathered during a change of shifts, engulfing that room entirely

quote:

"When the steel hit, it felt like being beaten by iron bars -- my brain went blank. I would be dead if I had turned my head".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deteriorata posted:

Just as an aside, the Bhopal incident was almost certainly sabotage, not an accident. The water got into the diisocyanate by a tap that was only used for cleaning when the plant was down for maintenance. A garden hose had been connected to it by someone who did not understand what would happen. His only intent was to ruin the batch.

If we’re only speculating it was sabotage, how do we know intent?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

Here's a pretty horrible steel foundry disaster from China.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qinghe_Special_Steel_Corporation_disaster

quote:

A subsequent investigation by the Chinese authorities found that the plant had been lacking any major safety features and was severely below regulation benchmarks, with the direct cause of the accident being attributed to inappropriate use of substandard equipment. The investigation also concluded that the various other safety failings at the facility were contributing factors. The report went on to criticize safety standards all throughout the Chinese steel industry.

lol

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Platystemon posted:

If we’re only speculating it was sabotage, how do we know intent?
The sabotage explanation followed from a recent history of Union Carbide doing some workers' rights quashing. Workers organized under a workers' rights movement would be more interested in being a thorn in the companies side as opposed to completely destroying their livelihood and killing their friends and neighbors.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

This is according to Union Carbide, who of course would prefer to have it be seen as sabotage to deflect the charge of negligence.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Even if there was an attempt to contaminate a tank and waste some UC money, the disaster was only possible (and inevitable) because of all the safety corners they'd cut to save a buck.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

This is according to Union Carbide, who of course would prefer to have it be seen as sabotage to deflect the charge of negligence.

Deteriorata works for Dow, who bought UC :ssh:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

theflyingexecutive posted:

mods knew

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

No, I worked for Dow for two summers as an intern in college. That's it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It's also according to several outside auditors who investigated. There were certainly deficiencies at the plant that left it unable to contain such an incident, but the specific incident was not itself an accident.

I understand the people of India not wanting to accept that it was perpetrated by one of their own citizens, but the scenario they portrayed of it having been entirely due to UC negligence was not even possible. The pipes they claimed had carried the water into the tank were found by multiple investigators to be completely dry, for one thing. Their scenario is something that might possibly happen in some circumstances, but there was no evidence that it actually had.

"What if water gets into the isocyante?" should have been on UC's list of things to have been ready to deal with, and wasn't. They certainly have some liability for that. The only way water could actually get to the isocyanate in this instance was by someone deliberately removing a pressure meter and installing a garden hose in its place, though.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mistle posted:

"Pro as gently caress" is still OSHA, there were no warnings for falling timber, no hard hats, the deck splintered during the felling, that's a write-up... *check on the clipboard*

I'm sure the guy put a lot of effort to fell that tree exactly that way, but a few degrees would mean the difference between "awesome lumberjacking" and "OHSA thread DIY-failure content"

Iirc the dude was actually a pro, and was told by the home owner that he'd prefer not to lose the shed in the background, but was prepared to accept it, and further was willing to accept the risk of targeting that tiny gap.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The vest does nothing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Holy poo poo.

That is incredible.