Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

I thought Rome was a flashy disappointment, mostly. It just should have been a buddy-cop show set in Roman times.

Also HEYGAL can you maybe do some sort of cop-buddy show set in the 30 years war

Like they spend the entire series trying to get to Vienna, and at the end they get there, and the Ottomans are besieging it!
nah

children's tv is the way to go
http://www.hgm.at/de/service-kontakt/kinder/kinderklub.html#c250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

So a Marcus Didius Falco series?

I want this to be a Masterpiece Mystery series and I want it yesterday.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FishFood posted:

csi:30yw exists in our hearts

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

HEY GAL posted:

'Vic died of being stabbed a whole bunch of times. The locals said that he had it coming.'

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

HEY GAL posted:

So let me get this right: Yesterday he looted a huge bag of gold, then he spent all night gambling with his drinking buddies, and now he is hanging from a tree with a note saying 'stupid' pinned to his chest... Maybe there is a connection I'm not seeing?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
"Your honor, I plead not guilty. I was protecting my honor!" The lawyers all murmur and the judge silences them with a gavel. His flowing locks are not a wig. "Explain, Herr prisoner!" All eyes fall on him.
"I stabbed him... but he called me a poop-face!"

The court erupts into shouting as papers fly everywhere and the prosecutor shakes his head.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

FishFood posted:

"Your honor, I plead not guilty. I was protecting my honor!" The lawyers all murmur and the judge silences them with a gavel. His flowing locks are not a wig. "Explain, Herr prisoner!" All eyes fall on him.
"I stabbed him... but he called me a poop-face!"

The court erupts into shouting as papers fly everywhere and the prosecutor shakes his head.

"And he called me poop face in five different languages until I understood what he said!"

Was it five? I remember Hey Gal telling this story a while ago.

I am also trying very hard not to imagine half of the degree course being "Learn into read 17th century hand writing"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Two answers, depending on how generous you want to be:

1) why not dig up poo poo on dead hardware? How good a particular weapon was, how effective it was when used, etc. are perfectly legitimate questions to ask. Some of it gets into being a war sperg, but there's nothing objectively wrong with that. Of course it helps if you reach the correct conclusions, but that's a matter of conflicting interpretations rather than a problem with the discipline. In my spare time I'm kind of a nut for rifles made from a specific German factory, so it's an illness that I get at the very least.

2) less charitably, it's super accessible to the average layman and sells books. Bob the manager at the grocery store who watches History Channel on the weekend thinks tanks are neat and will buy your book if you talk about which one was the best. Bob doesn't give two shits about your dissertation on logistics.

1. Yeah but I'm drawing the line when people look at what they like and start attributing magical properties to it, like that guy saying a type of medium tank made an entire army resist better. There's no way that could happen as long as the tank in question isn't equipped with energy shields and a gun shooting nuclear shells. :colbert:

2. To be fair, a lot of really good and objective history books are also incredibly boring. Especially old history is full of pages saying "This is unknown, we aren't sure about that and this is highly questionable too, but we haven't anything better, so welp." That poo poo gets tiring sometimes and if someone wants to write/read something more interesting, so be it. I just wish those authors would put a disclaimer up front when they start writing what I'd call Historical Fiction.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Libluini posted:

1. Yeah but I'm drawing the line when people look at what they like and start attributing magical properties to it, like that guy saying a type of medium tank made an entire army resist better. There's no way that could happen as long as the tank in question isn't equipped with energy shields and a gun shooting nuclear shells. :colbert:

2. To be fair, a lot of really good and objective history books are also incredibly boring. Especially old history is full of pages saying "This is unknown, we aren't sure about that and this is highly questionable too, but we haven't anything better, so welp." That poo poo gets tiring sometimes and if someone wants to write/read something more interesting, so be it. I just wish those authors would put a disclaimer up front when they start writing what I'd call Historical Fiction.

1. Good equipment is actually pretty useful. Nobody itt attributes magical properties to equipment, so leave that strawman alone. Just because x medium tank did not singlehandedly win the war does not mean that an army didn't benefit from a rifle that doesn't jam very often.\

2. A lot of authors do exactly that??

I can really see how you got that custom title dude jesus.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

"And he called me poop face in five different languages until I understood what he said!"

Was it five? I remember Hey Gal telling this story a while ago.
the dude who told a member of the mansfeld regiment that he "hosed his mouth" did it in 2 and a half to 3 languages, depending on how you count the dialect of the region where they were; Hieronymus Sebastian Schutze and Felix Steter used a bunch of languages to bitch and scream at each other and I'm still not sure what cajon means or where it is from

FishFood posted:

flowing locks
i think that's my favorite part of this picture, everyone in it has fantastic hair

edit: even the dead Spanish bottom left, fukken look at him :bigtran:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 20, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FishFood posted:

Isn't that mostly just British TV repackaged for America? So basically you want the BBC to do it. :shobon:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splode posted:

1. Good equipment is actually pretty useful. Nobody itt attributes magical properties to equipment, so leave that strawman alone. Just because x medium tank did not singlehandedly win the war does not mean that an army didn't benefit from a rifle that doesn't jam very often.\

2. A lot of authors do exactly that??

1. Sorry, but that author we were discussing did exactly that. Also no-one said good equipment isn't useful, so please put that strawman down before someone gets hurt.

2. Then give some examples, I can't read your thoughts through the internet.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

feedmegin posted:

Isn't that mostly just British TV repackaged for America? So basically you want the BBC to do it. :shobon:

Some is, yeah, but a lot of their recent output is jointly produced.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FishFood posted:

Some is, yeah, but a lot of their recent output is jointly produced.

With the BBC. Like, looking on Wikipedia, I see Sherlock, Lewis, Endeavour, all sorts of stuff that is just 'normal British TV' over here. I guess it's nice they sling some money at us? But it seems a bit of a stretch to say it's anything other than a British TV show.

Also, can confirm that last picture is the Belgrano.

Also also, http://www.gridenko.com/pg is where that dude in a dressing gown is from, and it's well worth checking out, as is http://time.com/3803957/rare-color-photographs-from-the-trenches-of-world-war-i/

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
you wonder what interesting worldshaking things would happen if time travel existed but it just occurred to me that one of the most likely side effects would be a roaring market for hair products among 17th century european men

edit: an extension cord snakes into the seething time-vortex; at the other end of it is a beribboned officer, happily blowdrying himself

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 20, 2016

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I for one would be very interested to see what 17th century tailors take away from 21st century fashion.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tomn posted:

I for one would be very interested to see what 17th century tailors take away from 21st century fashion.

"Why is everyone wearing so little clothing? They can't look fabulous without at least 4 different layers!"

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tomn posted:

Suicidal depression at the state of men's "fashion" and a whole bunch of materials and techniques from women's fashion, and likely a lot more of those materials than would be used today.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Actually, serious question.

In this thread it's been stated repeatedly that the main thing determining success in tank on tank combat is who saw the enemy and fired first, and that indeed tank on tank was relatively rare.

So what did tank combat in the deserts of North Africa look like, and what determined success there? My mental image of that is pretty hazy and is probably more informed by the first couple seconds of the Battlefield 1942 intro more than anything else, lines of tanks rolling across the sand before standing off and banging away at each other like a modernized musket firing line. Does that bear any relation to reality?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tomn posted:

So what did tank combat in the deserts of North Africa look like, and what determined success there?
Driving really fast in the general direction of the enemy and hoping you saw their anti-tank guns before the guns saw you, then either somehow killing the gun with your lovely AP rounds because nobody thought the 2pdr or 5 cm KwK NUMBERHERE needed HE shells or being the one tank that manages to survive long enough to just drive over it.

Patrick Delaforce has some good single Battalion histories of the Royal Tank Regiment that go into decent detail about the desert combat they saw, worth finding them if you can.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
It also revolved a lot around minefields. The Axis placed around half a million mines at el-Alamein.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Desert Tank combat's nifty, yo!

Someone should do a compare and contrast on the North Africa campaign with the First Gulf war ground campaign.

I guess, basically, I'm interested in how, exactly, one fights with modernized equipment on a flat, featureless desert?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

Driving really fast in the general direction of the enemy and hoping you saw their anti-tank guns before the guns saw you, then either somehow killing the gun with your lovely AP rounds because nobody thought the 2pdr or 5 cm KwK NUMBERHERE needed HE shells or being the one tank that manages to survive long enough to just drive over it.

Patrick Delaforce has some good single Battalion histories of the Royal Tank Regiment that go into decent detail about the desert combat they saw, worth finding them if you can.

The KwK 38 had an HE shell, at least. The 2-pdr didn't until something like 1944. The Soviets tried to cram 40 mm AA gun HE shells in there, but presumably it didn't work out.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I recall this thread liking that Pike and Shot game. Would this thread also be interested to see that they've released a Sengoku Jidai sequel to it? I just like that it's a strategy game where you can lose a battle because your center broke ranks to chase a fleeing enemy.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Am interested but not as interested.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Thalantos posted:

Desert Tank combat's nifty, yo!

Someone should do a compare and contrast on the North Africa campaign with the First Gulf war ground campaign.

I guess, basically, I'm interested in how, exactly, one fights with modernized equipment on a flat, featureless desert?

As a minor nitpick from someone who doesn't really know, deserts aren't flat. Even in areas where there's no random collections of rocks or scrub just growing in the middle of nowhere, there's dips and crests in the ground or sand. Probably usually ones that aren't big enough to conceal a tank, but still; outside of actual cities truly flat ground is incredibly rare.

EDIT: That said, it's not completely impossible to find super-flat places: Salar de Uyuni is the flattest place on earth, and is the size of hawaii. It's also really pretty and when wet looks like the world's biggest mirror:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 20, 2016

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Source4Leko posted:

Edit: I just went and got it to look at, it's actually from August 25th 1945 and is mostly a listing of all of the ships in the fleet that are sailing into Tokyo Bay to accept the surrender. It's quite the list.

I'd definitely like to see this!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Thalantos posted:

The Arab/Israeli conflicts are probably better reading on this in terms of tactics because the Gulf War was extremely lopsided through the capabilities of Allied Air superiority (including in terms of freedom of action of things like JSTARS). Not only that, but the M829A1 could engage T-72s at essentially as far as the shell will travel, whereas the T-72 had very little hope of even engaging Abrams before taking fire.

At night and in certain situations it was slightly closer, but the US advantage in thermals and such still had it extremely lopsided.

The Battle of 73 Eastings is probably your best bet, and honestly I'm not sure of any big actions like this in OIF but I wouldn't be surprised.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 20, 2016

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Deserts are neither flat nor featureless is the correct answer.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

My mental image of the North African campaign had them fighting in deep die desert, which was quickly corrected when I went to Libya, because holy poo poo 100m high sand dunes seem small until you walk up one.

Edit: small as in not very high or steep. They look immense, but the flat featureless colour makes them also look fairly gradual.

From tracing out the paths taken in a couple of books on North Africa during the war, the action seems largely confined in the semi-desert, does anyone know how much of it (if any) happened in the real high-dune Sahara? I think I've read more about the 1920s-30s exploration by the precursor to the Long range desert patrol than the patrol in the conflict itself, I'd guess it was limited to that kind of harassment/recon?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Here, have a picture of a cool gun still in use, for the people posting pictures. I may or may not have posted this before.

For some reason, Brazilian military police were using Madsen machine guns as late as 2009 and probably later for their operations in the slums.

I guess if it works it doesn't matter that the design is over 100 years old.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

lenoon posted:

My mental image of the North African campaign had them fighting in deep die desert, which was quickly corrected when I went to Libya, because holy poo poo 100m high sand dunes seem small until you walk up one.

Edit: small as in not very high or steep. They look immense, but the flat featureless colour makes them also look fairly gradual.

From tracing out the paths taken in a couple of books on North Africa during the war, the action seems largely confined in the semi-desert, does anyone know how much of it (if any) happened in the real high-dune Sahara? I think I've read more about the 1920s-30s exploration by the precursor to the Long range desert patrol than the patrol in the conflict itself, I'd guess it was limited to that kind of harassment/recon?

There was pretty much nothing going on in the Great Erg: LRDG, SAS and No 1, Demolition Squad (Popski's Private Army) all traversed it for their raids, and there was an emergency stash airfield or two to support these units. But it seems it was an environment that would merrily kill you as is and the axis don't seem to have any interest in challenging them out there.

The PPA seemed to revel in it and I really enjoyed reading Popski's memoir, but it is very clear how much he looked up to the LRDG in awe. I should read up on them more.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrBling posted:

Here, have a picture of a cool gun still in use, for the people posting pictures. I may or may not have posted this before.

For some reason, Brazilian military police were using Madsen machine guns as late as 2009 and probably later for their operations in the slums.

I guess if it works it doesn't matter that the design is over 100 years old.

My guess is they have a dearth of good assault rifles or battle rifles firing full power rifle rounds, so they just give the strong guys the Madsen to use as an automatic rifle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There are a trillion IMBEL FALs running around so I don't really think that's it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

LordSaturn posted:

I recall this thread liking that Pike and Shot game. Would this thread also be interested to see that they've released a Sengoku Jidai sequel to it? I just like that it's a strategy game where you can lose a battle because your center broke ranks to chase a fleeing enemy.
can you lose because your mercenaries are mad at you

edit Cyriacus Hildebrand from Greifendorf

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
My guess is that the money for new guns is used for coke parties.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

FishFood posted:

Wikipedia posted:

The first five books were dramatised for radio by the BBC, one each year, between 2004 and 2009. Anton Lesser played Falco in all five, while Helena was played by Fritha Goodey in The Silver Pigs and, following Goodey's death, Anna Madeley from the second book adaptation onwards. The radio series is produced by Lindsey Davis' friend Mary Cutler.

I kinda like the idea of Falco P.I., where he's living in a guest house at Decimus Camillus Verus's estate, driving a borrowed sporty red chariot, et cetera. Not sure how he'd really pull off the 'stache, however.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

No, but fighting/marching armies around provinces depletes their economy and manpower and supply limits and if you fight over the same province long enough it becomes a hellscape where moving any sizable army in there causes half of it to melt away from disease and desertion.

Also you CAN lose because your rear end in a top hat idiot moron cavalry won their skirmish with the enemy cavalry and proceeded to gently caress away off the battlefield chasing the fuckers they already beat instead of turning around and actually supporting the drat infantry.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

No, but fighting/marching armies around provinces depletes their economy and manpower and supply limits and if you fight over the same province long enough it becomes a hellscape where moving any sizable army in there causes half of it to melt away from disease and desertion.
yaaaaaaaas

quote:

Also you CAN lose because your rear end in a top hat idiot moron cavalry won their skirmish with the enemy cavalry and proceeded to gently caress away off the battlefield chasing the fuckers they already beat instead of turning around and actually supporting the drat infantry.
sounds like u mad :smugmrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

HEY GAL posted:

In Crusader Kings 2 mercenaries can and will offer their services to the opposing side if you can't pay them. If you're lucky they just decide to go home, but they can decide to switch sides.

• Locked thread