Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Is the story behind ROME DIDNT HAVE ROBOTS FUCKWIT interesting or is it just a funny redtext? I couldn't find it but it seems there's some minor mythology that's been built up about it considering google brings up offsite forum results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HiroProtagonist posted:

Is the story behind ROME DIDNT HAVE ROBOTS FUCKWIT interesting or is it just a funny redtext? I couldn't find it but it seems there's some minor mythology that's been built up about it considering google brings up offsite forum results.

I think he wanted to put a robot character in a role-playing session set in ancient Rome, it triggered a huge argument, and the rest is history.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

prefect posted:

:sad:

(I don't actually know anything about the game, but I hadn't seen this posted yet.)

:sadfan:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:allbuttons:

This is my new favorite thing.

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice
Can anyone help me with this? I remember seeing this in PYF probe/ban a good while ago, and all attempts to find it have failed me, or what the hell the punchline was about. It went with some kid riding a tractor? I think it was, and some friends convinced him to go on a joyride, and they caused damage to a fence/barn. the story went on with how to punish them, and the very end of the punchline is non existent, and the user gets probated right after.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The user's name is Melaneus. Google "somethingawful Melaneus tractor" and you'll find it. I'm on an iPad, it's too complicated to copy on this thing.

(The probation is the punchline.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

quote:

The Parable of the Sheepherder's Fence Post

Three teenage boys named Aeser, User, and Osser were walking out in the fields. User was excited to hang out with the two older boys, though he was nervous because he knew the two were notorious for causing trouble. His heart started to beat a little faster when they turned to trespass into a farmer's land. As they passed through a field of spelt, Aeser noticed that the farmer had left his tractor out. He whispered to Osser, and as they arrived at the vehicle, the two jumped into the cart currently hitched to it.

"The key is in the ignition!" Aeser told User, "Now give us a ride!"

Though he was filled with guilt, he gave in to the pressure and started the tractor up. Their act did not go unnoticed for long, for soon the farmer was yelling and chasing after the trio as they fled through the fields. In the commotion and panic, User did not look where he was going and crashed the tractor right into a fence post of a sheepherder’s pen, breaking it in half and ending their little caper.

At the next meeting of the village council, the fate of the three was decided. The farmer was not particularly upset about the joy ride and asked for no retribution, so the sheepherder's fence post became the crux of the matter. Aeser and Osser already had prior records of trouble-making, so they were required to work for the sheepherder in order to pay for this damaged fence post.

Though he was driving the tractor and caused the damage, the third boy had no history of misbehavior. The village council decided to go easy on him and

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

It was a genuine probation as well:

quote:

PROBATION 01/26/12 03:02pm Melaneus BETTER NATE THAN LEVER. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours. Eggplant Wizard Eggplant Wizard

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 07:09 on May 20, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was a genuine probation as well:

lol did he actually report his own post to give it a punchline?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hackbunny posted:

Yeah he later made a post thanking the mod

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hackbunny posted:

worth it

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Rare evidence of EPW being able to take a joke.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

haveblue posted:

I think he wanted to put a robot character in a role-playing session set in ancient Rome, it triggered a huge argument, and the rest is history.

Yeah it was supposed to be a historically accurate setting and this guy was told no repeatedly but he just kept trying to come up with some kind of steam powered automaton or something to get around the rules. It remains the funniest redtext on this website

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Met posted:

:tootzzz:

I even submitted a replacement to Ralp when he offered to replace it but he never changed it out.

One of the guys from goontube ripped the smilie from the chatroom after i submitted it, and bought it here. But the chatroom uses a white default background, and even though the version i submitted was transparent, they added a version with the white background since you'd never be able to tell. If somebody had just asked at the time for a cleaner version before they spent thirty bucks on it, I could have given it to them :smith:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

thecluckmeme posted:

One of the guys from goontube ripped the smilie from the chatroom after i submitted it, and bought it here. But the chatroom uses a white default background, and even though the version i submitted was transparent, they added a version with the white background since you'd never be able to tell. If somebody had just asked at the time for a cleaner version before they spent thirty bucks on it, I could have given it to them :smith:

seems appropriate the sleeping emote is the one that was done by a lazy person

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Overwatch is a videogame that people had a lot of fun trying out in the open beta. One of the characters, a robot named Bastion, was generally credited with the most spectacular play of the game because he would turn into a turret and minigun people to death. He was very accurate. Now this exists.

:potg:
The Overwatch threads also contributed :zenpop: which is another of the game's characters, Zenyatta, doing an :eyepop:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

The Overwatch threads also contributed :zenpop: which is another of the game's characters, Zenyatta, doing an :eyepop:

And also a ton of avatars and gangtags, as you can see on him too.

Mostly the gangtags though. Avatars just kinda happened if anyone posted a good comic or something in the chill thread and that inspired someone to want to make it into an avatar.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Mostly the gangtags though. Avatars just kinda happened if anyone posted a good comic or something in the chill thread and that inspired someone to want to make it into an avatar.

Cool Overwatch Avatar-haver reporting in.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Besides Gunnerkrigg Court and Undertale, I can't really think of anything that came out and got a lot of people to make avatars like this.

edit: I mean, I know Dangan Ronpa got people to buy accounts but I don't think people went as far as buying a ton of avatars too.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Where did the hard hat spiderman avatars come from?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MooCowlian posted:

Where did the hard hat spiderman avatars come from?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2359

I don't know why it was under "S" and not "H". :shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

That article leaves out the best part, which pushed that episode over the edge into legendary status: One poster whose username was spiderman-related didn't get a hardhat spiderman in the first wave, complained about it, and shortly received this one instead:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

RareAcumen posted:

Besides Gunnerkrigg Court and Undertale, I can't really think of anything that came out and got a lot of people to make avatars like this.

edit: I mean, I know Dangan Ronpa got people to buy accounts but I don't think people went as far as buying a ton of avatars too.

Says someone with a Lum avatar. :v:

Not that that's a thing that came out but still.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Homestuck got a decent chunk of avatars in its heyday. Amusingly many of those switched to Gunerkrigg and Undertale.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Says someone with a Lum avatar. :v:

Not that that's a thing that came out but still.

Don't you be sassing my avatar. <:mad:>

But tbh I'm talking about people buying avatars of a thing themselves. I didn't buy this one. I like it, I'm glad I have it, but I'm not the one who paid for it. Still really appreciate that I got Lummed though. :)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love Lum

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

RareAcumen posted:

Yup there's a whole ton of Overwatch gangtags now:

Cowcaster posted:

Ok here we are. If you use the urls for these images inside the bbcode img tags when you purchase a somethingawful avatar they'll display. Please do not put more than one gangtag in a new avatar you buy, also please preview each avatar you buy because there are no refunds. I reiterate: mistakes in the gangtag selected will not be refunded, please be careful. There was a lot more effort that went into this throwaway joke than I expected there to be.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

quiggy posted:

'tism prism

Okay that one is amazing.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

haveblue posted:

That article leaves out the best part, which pushed that episode over the edge into legendary status: One poster whose username was spiderman-related didn't get a hardhat spiderman in the first wave, complained about it, and shortly received this one instead:

While not nearly as good, I sassed about them all being the same thing and got this one.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Liking My Little Ponies was cool for few weeks/months, right? There was a gigantic surge of avatars and I'm pretty sure all of them weren't ironic/trolling.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

Mass Effect 2 inspired a shitton of smilies and avs. Then the third one came out and we all quietly forgot how excited the second one made us :smith:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Not for long, but goons tended to flip poo poo over anything pony related so pony avatars became the redtext for a bit because other people then assumed the poster was a "brony."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

quiggy posted:

Overwatch fans need to buy more emoticons to catch up to Mass Effect.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

Overwatch fans need to buy more emoticons to catch up to Mass Effect.

Give us time, we'll get there.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

haveblue posted:

I like the one avatar on a user whose name I forget that's the infamous photo of a very obese man in a black lycra spider-man outfit with a hardhat photoshopped on his head.

Last year for a hot minute someone started doing the same gag with a closeup on an enraged J. Jonah Jameson's face in red as the hardhat trend.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Peggle is the "free with gold" game on Xbox 360 this month so I got to see :ironicat: in its natural habitat for the first time yesterday.

Still kind of unsure why he is ironicat, though, I played through his 5 stages and he didn't seem particularly ironic.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

om nom nom posted:

Peggle is the "free with gold" game on Xbox 360 this month so I got to see :ironicat: in its natural habitat for the first time yesterday.

Still kind of unsure why he is ironicat, though, I played through his 5 stages and he didn't seem particularly ironic.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kaethela posted:

Give us time, we'll get there.

Yeah the game's been out a week and we already have :potg: and :zenpop:, I'm sure it can't be much longer before some idiot venerable forums user buys more.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

quiggy posted:

The Overwatch gangtags having the "wrong" filenames is my favorite forums gag in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

quiggy posted:

Yeah the game's been out a week and we already have :potg: and :zenpop:, I'm sure it can't be much longer before some idiot venerable forums user buys more.

It feels less weird that that's happened since the game had like two months of open beta for people to try it.