Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I've never even HEARD of the last three.

Kakao is Korea. Wechat is China. Line is Japan and Taiwan. Don't know the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I had never heard of Kakao Talk until joining a group of FFXIV players. It's got really weird emoticons.

WhatsApp is ubiquitous as gently caress though, not sure how people have never seen it.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Whatsapp is the most popular messaging platform in the world, whether you've heard of it or not.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm Chinese American and I've never heard of most of these apps. Though I don't really get why there's so many different messaging apps at this point. I mostly stick to gchat at work and sms on my phone.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm guessing nobody over 40 not in tech uses Whatsapp and only have heard of it because "that's what those terrorists used!" :jihad:

My 68 y/o ma only uses Hangouts by accident via Googletalk I think(I set her laptop up) when I use Hangouts from my wifi only tablet to ask her for the new pics of her dog when I am too lazy to use my cell phone. So now I have 2 threads: one via hangouts and another on normal SMS/MMS whatever. I'm not going to try to explain the difference to her or ask her to install Whatsapp (and then have to ask her friends to as well) and would have to stealth install Allo for her and trick her into using it. Good times.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 19, 2016

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Desk Lamp posted:

Whatsapp is the most popular messaging platform in the world, whether you've heard of it or not.

Every single indian person i know uses it.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

Just checked the stats for my country: 17 million inhabitants. 9.8 million whatsapp users.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Officially announced that a handful of Chromebook models will be getting the entire Android app catalog next month, and that a bunch of other models will get it later in 2016... looked at the officially supported model list and my lowly C720 isn't on it.

:sigh:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

drat, what's a good replacement for my C720 in the same price/quality range?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

spincube posted:

Why the hell are they pushing AI, or neural networks, or whatever buzzword it is, in a messaging client anyway?

...like am I stupid for thinking that's really, really weird and kind of intrusive? 'Beep boop, a picture of a baby was posted. Appropriate response, weighted for previous messages in the stack: [aww look at the cute baby]'. I don't even need to think when talking to anyone anymore! Thanks Google :downs:

It's like they've gone from the unemployable fuckup cousins making up the Google messaging team, to the insufferable 'you know what Youtube needs? An in-app messaging service!' Ideas Guys.

Google is uniquely obsessed with efficiency and statistics, even relative to other tech companies. The company culture deemphasizes basic poo poo like empathizing with customers, instead creating an insulated playground for tech evangelists, engineers, and nerds. Which is great for building grand tech projects—just look at Google's self-driving car project and it's various efforts in AI—or, say, an ambitious, unending effort to catalog literally everything on the internet. But it's really loving horrible for designing anything that directly interacts with consumers.

It's often embarrassingly numbers-driven stuff utterly disconnected with the priorities of us mere mortals, like in-message Google searching and auto-replies, whose sole purposes are to save you a whopping three seconds.

Or it's hilariously tone-deaf, like Google+, which hosed up twofold: tying all Google-associated accounts together, pissing off everybody with multiple facets to their presence on the internet (which is to say, most of the tech press), and aggressively enforcing a "real names" policy—with "real" names defined as white names—pushing away the many Indian, East Asian, and Hispanic tech workers in Silicon Valley, who frequently found their names flagged as "fake". Those were people who rubbed shoulders with the tech press, which ensured that the "real names" gently caress-up got much more play than it otherwise would've.

Sometimes, it's both at the same time, like Google Glass. (Save entire seconds by not having to reach into your pocket for your phone! What do you mean most people don't like poo poo on their faces?)

bull3964 posted:

Why? That's something you have to ask? If Google can mimic your responses, then they know enough about you to figure out what you want. They have the perfect marketing profile.

I do crowdsourcing stuff for a living, and one of the most common tasks is judging ad keyword matches with search queries. And let me tell you, between Big Data and AI, marketing algorithms still couldn't find their rear end with two hands. Supersmart marketing is a huge lie, albeit an amusing one that's mostly about marketers selling THE FUTURE to other people with marketing degrees. A substantial part of my job is overriding the advertising smarts. It ultimately doesn't matter if marketing has identified you as a manly man who likes steak, beer, hot chicks, and his own beard, because if said manly man is shopping for motorcycles, there is almost zero chance of him responding to a random ad about beer. (Remember, internet ads don't count eyeballs like physical, television, and radio ads do. Only clicks count.)

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Maybe Whatsapp presence changes depending on country and it's just not that popular in America, but in Spain and Germany literally every.single.person. uses whatsapp. I know some older people (my mom and relatives) that are around 50-60 years old and they bought a smartphone with the sole purpose of using WhatsApp.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CLAM DOWN posted:

drat, what's a good replacement for my C720 in the same price/quality range?

I guess the CB3-131 is the spiritual successor to the C720 that isn't the C740. The CB3 is only $180 brand new on Amazon. Although, you could get a certified refurbished C740 with 4GB RAM for $150. I might do that...

Here's a list of Chromebooks that will officially support the Google Play store later this year: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/6401474

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm gonna just chalk this up to major sampling bias. While the folks I primarily interact with (university students) are likely in a very different group than your social circle and subject to their own sampling bias, I can safely say that third-party messaging applications like WhatsApp, WeChat, Kakao, and GroupMe are ubiquitous around me.
Never touched WhatsApp, use group me for one specific group. Never heard of those other ones.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cable posted:

Maybe Whatsapp presence changes depending on country and it's just not that popular in America, but in Spain and Germany literally every.single.person. uses whatsapp. I know some older people (my mom and relatives) that are around 50-60 years old and they bought a smartphone with the sole purpose of using WhatsApp.

You've also been able to call or send SMS messages from coast to coast in the US without paying extra for a long time. It will be interesting to see what happens after next year when cell phone roaming charges within the EU are slated to be eliminated completely, which eliminates the major economic reason for using WhatsApp.

Viber seems to be another popular app in Europe as nearly every European person on my contact list has it, but the only ones in the US that use it are the people who frequently talk to people in Europe.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
What's app has been great for me as it handles picture and video mail that for whatever reason Cricket in my area has trouble with

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
My Nexus 5 with a horribly cracked screen is finally starting to fail. I am looking at the HTC 10, is there a good reason I shouldn't buy one and go with something different? Not interested in anything the size of the 6P, and would prefer to stay away from anything with TouchWiz.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
My friend works for a Lenovo refurbisher and gets a discount code for Motorola phones. I was thinking of trading in my Note 5 for a Moto X Pure, but I don't know anything about the line. Would this be a good trade? The specs look pretty good and an unlocked phone without carrier bloat is really enticing.

Edit: I was referring specifically to the build of Lollipop it runs, if anyone has experience with it. Does the phone run smoothly? Does it have a lot of extra Motorola crap on it?

mags fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 20, 2016

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it's a good phone for the price. the screen is great but it's not amoled, which is obvious when you use its active display (which is the best thing ever). the gestures are good, and the camera is good. main issue imo is the future of the device, since motorola seems to be in a nose dive right now

edit: it runs quickly and the only "bloat" is motorola software which is useful and good. i wish every phone had motorola gestures

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I think moto x pure would be a downgrade specs wise, but it's running marshmallow now I believe?

mags
May 30, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

I think moto x pure would be a downgrade specs wise, but it's running marshmallow now I believe?

I think you can upgrade to it but it ships with Lollipop

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yes it is!

Samsung phones will have a better camera. But I prefer literally everything else about this device; recommending it is a no-brainer.

mags
May 30, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yes it is!

Samsung phones will have a better camera. But I prefer literally everything else about this device; recommending it is a no-brainer.

Not to mention mine is the N920A. I hate all the crap AT&T has done with this phone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

teagone posted:

I guess the CB3-131 is the spiritual successor to the C720 that isn't the C740. The CB3 is only $180 brand new on Amazon. Although, you could get a certified refurbished C740 with 4GB RAM for $150. I might do that...

Here's a list of Chromebooks that will officially support the Google Play store later this year: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/6401474

Very disappointed to not see the Cr-48 listed.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The_Franz posted:

You've also been able to call or send SMS messages from coast to coast in the US without paying extra for a long time. It will be interesting to see what happens after next year when cell phone roaming charges within the EU are slated to be eliminated completely, which eliminates the major economic reason for using WhatsApp.

Viber seems to be another popular app in Europe as nearly every European person on my contact list has it, but the only ones in the US that use it are the people who frequently talk to people in Europe.
I never actually thought about this before. Most people in the US don't have a need to text or call anyone outside the US. Most phone plans, including the cheap monthly pay as you go plans, have unlimited text. There is no economic reason for anyone in the US to use hangouts or whatsapp.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI-kXmzhLeo

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/19/allo-and-duo-apks-leaked-but-inoperable-so-one-modder-used-a-custom-xposed-module-to-peek-into-allo/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4k3ee1/i_used_xposed_database_modifications_to_make_allo/d3bvq7v

Looks like this shows up in Allo's code:

code:
<string name="tombstone_chat_via_sms">You are chatting with <g id="participants">%3$s</g> by SMS for free</string>
Maybe it'll have SMS built in?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Or maybe that's just for when Google unceremoniously kills Allo a year or two from now.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

eSporks posted:

I never actually thought about this before. Most people in the US don't have a need to text or call anyone outside the US. Most phone plans, including the cheap monthly pay as you go plans, have unlimited text. There is no economic reason for anyone in the US to use hangouts or whatsapp.

Well, consumer inertia is a pretty strong thing. Very few people go will stop using a favored app just because a slightly different one with an equivalent feature set comes onto the market. "A passable alternative now exists" isn't enough to get people to switch—Bing found this out the hard way.

Anyways, I always figured messaging apps were for extra features that SMS lacks. E.g. ability to know if a recipient actually read your message, whether they're actively writing a response, the ability to set other people to ignore, or to mark yourself as unavailable at the moment. Also, and this is killer for a lot of people, you can't "log out" of sms. You can set a custom alert for an individual or you can silence your phone, and that often isn't enough. If you want to avoid a barrage of notifications from one group while still receiving them from another, you're poo poo out of luck.

(While I'm at it: the group chat in Android's built-in sms is a cruel joke, and you have to get an app to do it properly anyways. And simply going on the app market puts you halfway to picking something other than a pure-sms messaging app...)

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

teagone posted:

Officially announced that a handful of Chromebook models will be getting the entire Android app catalog next month, and that a bunch of other models will get it later in 2016... looked at the officially supported model list and my lowly C720 isn't on it.

:sigh:

Haha!

My Asus Chromebook Flip is :smug:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

The_Franz posted:

It will be interesting to see what happens after next year when cell phone roaming charges within the EU are slated to be eliminated completely, which eliminates the major economic reason for using WhatsApp.

It still won't make SMS able to send pictures. And MMS just never worked right.
Has anyone ever succesfully sent a MMS?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I send MMS regularly using the Hangouts app :shrug:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Sending pictures, videos and using group chats is just infinitely better with a data based messenger like whatsapp, facebook messenger etc.

My phone plan only includes data and some minutes. SMS is 9 cents per piece which I never use. It's a lot cheaper than plans with unlimited texting.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I don't know what the situation is like in the US, but I worked in various test-related roles in mobile telecomms for about 10 years, for various mobile manufacturers and carriers (thank gently caress I'm out of that game, I don't miss it in the slightest), starting in fact around the time that MMS was commercially introduced, and it just seems like its been plagued with various issues that whole time. The settings are confusing, people often don't have them set up right unless they got a carrier branded phone, and the interop issues are a nightmare. Different networks have different size limits and cross-network delivery is flakey as gently caress.

For example, I'm on EE, and I CANNOT receive an MMS from someone on O2 (or Giff Gaff, which shares O2). Any other network and it's fine, but if it's from O2 I get the message but the attachment fails to download. The issue has persisted across multiple handset and SIM replacements (without changing the number), from different senders on different phones, the only common factor is that the originating network is O2. I can only assume that it's got something to do with the fact that once upon a time my number belonged to O2 and I ported it away, and something is hosed up with the routing or something. I've spoken to customer services on multiple occasions and all they ever do is talk me through my settings (which are correct) and then admit that they are stumped, or blame the sender.

Obviously this is an edge case but I've encountered multiple examples like this where it just doesn't work as well as it should, so people give up on it. it's just never really been fit for purpose. Something like Whatsapp that just relies on a data connection and a single delivery mechanism just works better. especially given the prices that a lot of networks charge for MMS.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I don't ever recall having an issue with MMS between US carriers, but I never used it much in the early days and I've never tried sending an MMS internationally since it costs money for the sender and receiver while e-mail is free.

Regardless of how messed up SMS/MMS is, having a dozen different proprietary messaging apps (with more coming!) doesn't seem like the ideal solution. It would be nice if there was finally a movement to standardize "IP-texting" so that these services could potentially interoperate. This was tried with XMPP years ago, but it just didn't catch on for whatever reason.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 20, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chippy posted:

I don't know what the situation is like in the US, but I worked in various test-related roles in mobile telecomms for about 10 years, for various mobile manufacturers and carriers (thank gently caress I'm out of that game, I don't miss it in the slightest), starting in fact around the time that MMS was commercially introduced, and it just seems like its been plagued with various issues that whole time. The settings are confusing, people often don't have them set up right unless they got a carrier branded phone, and the interop issues are a nightmare. Different networks have different size limits and cross-network delivery is flakey as gently caress.

For example, I'm on EE, and I CANNOT receive an MMS from someone on O2 (or Giff Gaff, which shares O2). Any other network and it's fine, but if it's from O2 I get the message but the attachment fails to download. The issue has persisted across multiple handset and SIM replacements (without changing the number), from different senders on different phones, the only common factor is that the originating network is O2. I can only assume that it's got something to do with the fact that once upon a time my number belonged to O2 and I ported it away, and something is hosed up with the routing or something. I've spoken to customer services on multiple occasions and all they ever do is talk me through my settings (which are correct) and then admit that they are stumped, or blame the sender.

Obviously this is an edge case but I've encountered multiple examples like this where it just doesn't work as well as it should, so people give up on it. it's just never really been fit for purpose. Something like Whatsapp that just relies on a data connection and a single delivery mechanism just works better. especially given the prices that a lot of networks charge for MMS.

That's about the situation in the US.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Except for the whole thing about no one having it set up right since like 98% of the phones sold are carrier branded.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Anyone else having an issue where Hangouts just insists on signing them back in on the sly after they've signed out? I keep getting messages even though I have previously gone into settings and signed out. I'm on a Nexus 5X and don't have SMS enabled in Hangouts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Are you on Project Fi? I just signed up and had that problem. Even if make a different app your SMS default, you have to go into your account settings and turn off messages under "Project Fi calls and SMS".

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I am, and I do have that set to off. To clarify, I'm getting Hangouts messages after I've signed out, not SMS.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I just dropped my LG G4 into the ocean and I'm pretty sure its done for. I've got it in a bag of rice but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Anyhow, I was perfectly happy with it, it had a great camera, nice screen and was really snappy. I might just get another one on swappa for $200 but whats the new android hotness right now? I'm kind of out of the loop. Is the S7 still at the top of the list? I really liked the replaceable battery on the G4 so I'm also considering the G5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

visuvius posted:

I just dropped my LG G4 into the ocean and I'm pretty sure its done for. I've got it in a bag of rice but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Anyhow, I was perfectly happy with it, it had a great camera, nice screen and was really snappy. I might just get another one on swappa for $200 but whats the new android hotness right now? I'm kind of out of the loop. Is the S7 still at the top of the list? I really liked the replaceable battery on the G4 so I'm also considering the G5.

If money is no object, then yes the S7, otherwise go for a Nexus 6P.