Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Magypsy posted:

Alternate colours in games. It feels like they're either really good or terrible, no in-between. I've been playing Hyrule Warriors: Legends, and I've unlocked all the new colours in that game. Why would anyone ever want to wear one of these? They're hideous.

you underestimate my love for tacky, horrid costumes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Those are actually amazing

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Magypsy posted:

They're hideous.

I think that's the point.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
That King of Hyrule one feels like it's meant to be reminiscent of something. It's got that 'suspiciously deliberate' look to it, like you can tell it's matching some kind of reference material.

Ghirahim's is just fabulous, and I love it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That Ghirahim costume looks incredible.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
please tell me the king of hyrule has an alternate palette that makes him look like the phillips cdi king.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Cleretic posted:

That King of Hyrule one feels like it's meant to be reminiscent of something. It's got that 'suspiciously deliberate' look to it, like you can tell it's matching some kind of reference material.

Ghirahim's is just fabulous, and I love it.

The 5 new characters only have one alternate costume, they're all pretty good besides the King's. All of the costumes are references to characters from other games, so some of them work out and others are kind of weird.

Linkle's is based off Aryl's

While Toon Link gets his pyjamas, it's great

Action Tortoise posted:

please tell me the king of hyrule has an alternate palette that makes him look like the phillips cdi king.

We'll be getting 4 new sets of costumes, one with each of the DLC packs. I want there to be a King Harkinian costume, but I know that'll never happen. :smith:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

13Pandora13 posted:

Gears 3 was so lovely at the end. You literally NEVER find out what the locust's deal is because Marcus can't be assed to give his father five minutes to talk.

The gooey ending is the basis for 4 too (the PC is Marcus and Anya's son)!
Jeeeesus criiiipppses that's awful.

And wasn't she 'sterile' or some horrible poo poo like that? They got the really lovely lady who wrote terrible Star wars fiction to come up with like, "Breeding camps" or some poo poo? Is that just one of my awful fever dreams?

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of series that went in disappointing directions; Resistance: Fall of Man. I liked the first game and at first they kept teasing that maybe they monsters were russian experiments but then nope, aliens. Which is fine, because you got to use alien weapons and they were cool. Then after like three increasingly not good games the series just gave up and went home.
Yeah, like, 1 was suuuuper loving grim and industrial and they really very vague about what exactly you were fighting.

2 wasn't all bad, and it actually had what was one of the better of these endings. 3, again, nonsensically 'happy' because apparently the only series with the guts to actually have actually dramatic, in the classical sense endings was
Kane and Lynch of all series.

Though Army of Two tried. Jesus that series was so wonderfully gloriously retarded with it's moral choices.

"Will you murder your friend for money? If you do, you get cold hard cash. If you don't, then a scuba man will KILL HIM ON A BEACH"

40th Day showed how much they'd learned, because again, it has probably the best co-op ending I've ever seen. It was loving genius and it's annoying how they don't get more credit for that.

Magypsy posted:

Alternate colours in games. It feels like they're either really good or terrible, no in-between. I've been playing Hyrule Warriors: Legends, and I've unlocked all the new colours in that game. Why would anyone ever want to wear one of these? They're hideous.

i think im in love

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Deceitful Penguin posted:

They got the really lovely lady who wrote terrible Star wars fiction to come up with like, "Breeding camps" or some poo poo? Is that just one of my awful fever dreams?

They did but anybody who actually reads and/or cares about video game tie-in books deserves to be trolled mercilessly like that.

See also: Kai Leng: Cereal Thief from the Mass Effect book.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Magypsy posted:

These look like painted TF2 items. And I'm pretty sure that some of those colors only exist so people look at you and go Ugh.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

40th Day showed how much they'd learned, because again, it has probably the best co-op ending I've ever seen. It was loving genius and it's annoying how they don't get more credit for that.
i think im in love

I will probably never play the game but I am curious. Care to spoil it for me?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A Link between Worlds: Yuga is an interesting villain with an interesting design, a cool theme tune, and he acts as a recurring boss. However he turns into Not-Ganon a third of the way through the game, losing all of his unique traits. Imagine if Vader ditched the suit after a couple scenes and instead menaced people from his iron lung.

edit: There was a lovely movie where Jesus Christ fights Vampires, only Jesus gets a change of clothes and he shaves the beard five minutes in.

Majora's Mask 3D: I really hate mini-games with no margin of error. Hit all 30 targets in 30 seconds? gently caress off, at least it's not Octoball derby.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 02:12 on May 19, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Samfucius posted:

I will probably never play the game but I am curious. Care to spoil it for me?
The 40th Day wanted to be a bit different, so included a buncha "morality" choices that are hilariously opaque and nonsensical some of the time, with the final one being where you confront the villain and he tells you he'll surrender peacefully, but only if you murder your partner and that if you try to kill him, it will trigger bombs that will kill millions of people.

The amazing thing is that both partners are able to make the choice and things don't progress until one picks an option, either to kill their partner or to kill the lunatic leader. (This is the same as for all morality choices but it only really matters here)

The kicker? He's lying, there is no bomb and if you've been playing the game like a hero you make the completely stupid choice of believing him and killing your partner.

It's pretty good. Have it as a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBSR_PWIQKA

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Majora's Mask 3D: I really hate mini-games with no margin of error. Hit all 30 targets in 30 seconds? gently caress off, at least it's not Octoball derby.

I enjoy MM but I'll never get why people keep insisting it's the best zelda game when like 90% of the content are awful side quests that make the big goron and giant poes in OoT look like amazing fun adventures. Time to go grab the money chests, do some specific poo poo every day and hope you don't gently caress up the last day or you'll have to reset time and do it all over again.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

I enjoy MM but I'll never get why people keep insisting it's the best zelda game when like 90% of the content are awful side quests that make the big goron and giant poes in OoT look like amazing fun adventures. Time to go grab the money chests, do some specific poo poo every day and hope you don't gently caress up the last day or you'll have to reset time and do it all over again.

It's because the characters and their world are strange and broken and dying and they don't shy away from that. As opposed to clean, shiny, safe, trad-fantasy Hyrule, where the apocalypse means some folks have to move house.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The amazing thing is that both partners are able to make the choice and things don't progress until one picks an option, either to kill their partner or to kill the lunatic leader. (This is the same as for all morality choices but it only really matters here)

The kicker? He's lying, there is no bomb and if you've been playing the game like a hero you make the completely stupid choice of believing him and killing your partner.

I'm confused, do you the player get to make the choice or not? Your spoilered part sounds like it forces you if you've been playing a certain way.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm confused, do you the player get to make the choice or not? Your spoilered part sounds like it forces you if you've been playing a certain way.

What he means that if you've been taking the heroic option the whole game, then you'd probably choose to shoot your partner rather than kill the bad guy and risk tripping the switch that kills several million people. Kill one to save millions, and all that.

People who have been taking the selfish/anti-heroic options would be more likely to just blow the rear end in a top hat away.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Think of it like the mass effect Paragon/Renegade thing where one's blue and one's red and it doesn't really matter what the actual actions are, you're just going to pick red or blue because the game doesn't reward you for being a neutral well balanced individual.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Thanks, that's a lot clearer.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

They did but anybody who actually reads and/or cares about video game tie-in books deserves to be trolled mercilessly like that.

See also: Kai Leng: Cereal Thief from the Mass Effect book.

The loving psychic ninjas in ME3 and especially Kai Leng were so bad.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Inco posted:

What he means that if you've been taking the heroic option the whole game, then you'd probably choose to shoot your partner rather than kill the bad guy and risk tripping the switch that kills several million people. Kill one to save millions, and all that.

People who have been taking the selfish/anti-heroic options would be more likely to just blow the rear end in a top hat away.

Wrong thread for this, but if you consistently work with your buddy and use the positive emotes often, your relationship status goes from "Best Friend" to "Ambiguous". :allears:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2: Aircraft collision. You can love tap a branch at 20 kph and you'll instantly blow up like you slammed into the side of a mountain, that is if you're inside the aircraft. Or you can go ahead and slam it into the side of a mountain going 250 kph but if you bail out before collision there is a drat good chance it'll just pingpong off the mountain with maybe 1% health taken away. I'm getting mixed signals here on what I can and cannot do in my aircraft.

Not only that, but the game's latency makes flying near any friendlies a death sentence. I've literally had moments where I was going on a head on with a friendly, he went down and I went up and after we passed each other the game decided that nope, we actually hit one another and killed us both.

Also the game has a thing where if you commit suicide after someone hit you it gives them the kill. This period lasts WAY too loving long. Captured a point, rushed the spawn room and killed a guy who got a single shot off on me. I ran around the spawn room then jumped off the tower 5 seconds later and missed the gravity lift so I died, he is awarded the kill. Hell, random snipers who hit me in my aircraft with a pistol can sometimes get a kill 10 seconds later when I do the aforementioned "clipped a branch and instantly blew up" thing.

E: Players loving respawn faster then the kill period is over.

E2: Also I should bring up biolab fights. They can be extremely fun just because they're completely shut out from assholes in ground/air vehicles butting in and dragging the fight down. Sadly all they devolved into now is the attackers sitting in the teleport room doing nothing. You can't leave because they'll rush in as soon as you leave and yes, the playerbase is that much of a bunch of boring mother fuckers they will gladly just sit there and do nothing for literally hours until the defenders finally manage to capture the base that links the teleport. Oh, and biolabs are the fastest capturable bases that if a portion of the defenders do leave to capture the next base over all it takes is the attackers who now have a numerical advantage to just push through and touch a single point, now the base linking the teleporter cannot be captured until the defenders come back and reflip the point.

I'm loving mad about video games guys

Leal has a new favorite as of 07:35 on May 20, 2016

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the biggest potential downsides of sandboxes?

When you have experienced everything that the game has to offer and yet you've only played two hours out of twenty: Assassin's Creed 1.

When you could cut the game down by 75% and miss absolutely nothing: Just Cause 2.

When you start seeing the map as nothing but rows of boxes to be ticked: Ubisoft Game.

When the game has no new sceneries or vistas to show you beyond the 25% mark: Phantom Pain.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
And yet I still think Phantom Pain is one of the better recent open-world games, and indeed that the open-world section of it was a great addition to Metal Gear.

Largely because it gives you all those ridiculous Metal Gear toys to play with, without punishing you for using them. Going into the sandbox parts of Phantom Pain is basically turning off all major objectives or penalties and letting you loose on whatever you want to hit. It's exactly what Metal Gear needed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, the open world segments in MGSV let me take my sniper rifle with a 50 round drum mag and go apeshit, followed by stealing a tank and also going apeshit, followed by kidnapping an entire airport for shits and giggles, without wasting twenty minutes on cutscenes and getting a mission rating of "wow, you're the worst at this game"

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Cleretic posted:

And yet I still think Phantom Pain is one of the better recent open-world games, and indeed that the open-world section of it was a great addition to Metal Gear.

Largely because it gives you all those ridiculous Metal Gear toys to play with, without punishing you for using them. Going into the sandbox parts of Phantom Pain is basically turning off all major objectives or penalties and letting you loose on whatever you want to hit. It's exactly what Metal Gear needed.

Now if only they could write a story that's not completely retarded and make an interface that makes managing your base not a chore. Especially when you have to move half of them for story reasons.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morglon posted:

Now if only they could write a story that's not completely retarded and make an interface that makes managing your base not a chore. Especially when you have to move half of them for story reasons.

I just got to that part the other day, and holy gently caress does that game need more ways to sort/filter through your list.

and languages don't appear in alphabetical order on the profiles, or even the same order every time, so it's really a pain to find every last soldier that speaks Kikongo.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Morglon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThutNUSMDfY

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My favorite little thing dragging down phantom pain is after I did the mission where you rescue a mujahideen pow and he becomes your best friend, mother base autosorted him into one of the away teams as soon as he landed and he was instantly reported killed.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Biplane posted:

My favorite little thing dragging down phantom pain is after I did the mission where you rescue a mujahideen pow and he becomes your best friend, mother base autosorted him into one of the away teams as soon as he landed and he was instantly reported killed.
Mission 10? You need to have a well-staffed medical team to save Malak. Fortunately, you can always replay the mission.

Content:
Colony ships in Stellaris that are built in shipyards that are in sector-controlled systems are not shown in the list of civilian ships, unlike science ships and constructors. You either have to go to the prospective colony planet and give the colonize command there or find the system where you built the colony ship.

Also, upgrading a large fleet seems to take a ridiculously long time. You can speed things up by splitting the fleet and telling them to go get refitted in different shipyards. By the time everything is refitted and the fleet is back together, you get to do it again because you got an another upgrade.

I've also lost an entire fleet because the war ended when that fleet was in hyperspace. Fleets left behind in enemy territory find their way back to friendly space eventually, but not this one. The fleet remained halfway between two systems and wouldn't respond to any commands.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm playing Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward at the moment, and I like it, but there's just a superfluous amount of dialogue that doesn't need to be there.

Okay, wait, I know it's a visual novel, I know it's all about the dialogue. But exchanges that could go like:

"Hey can you hand me the thing?"
"What, this thing? Sure, here you go."

tend to be stretched into

"Hey, do you see that thing there?"
"What, this thing? This thing here?"
"Yeah, that thing."
"Sure, what's up about it? Something interesting?"
"Well, yeah. I mean, I guess..."
"You know you can just tell me."
"Well, okay. See, the thing is, I need it."
"Oh?"
"Yeah. I was wondering..."
"Yeah?"
"Think you could pass it to me?"
"Oh, I guess I could [reference that makes the main character sound like a pervert]"
"Wow what a pervert! But thanks anyway."
"Yeah no problem."

And it gets really prolonged in some places, frustratingly so.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Morpheus posted:

I'm playing Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward at the moment, and I like it, but there's just a superfluous amount of dialogue that doesn't need to be there.

source

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's caused by an overly literal translation.

The Japanese language has those weird feedback loops built in.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Isn't it like a thing where it's rude to actually come out and say something outright, so you have to dance around it with metaphors and poo poo, thus dragging stuff out?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lotish posted:

Isn't it like a thing where it's rude to actually come out and say something outright, so you have to dance around it with metaphors and poo poo, thus dragging stuff out?

is this like how rabbis gotta out question each other?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I swear to God Warioland 3 is going to make me run amok one of these days. I haven't yet encountered a game where every single objective in every level is meticulously designed to make you waste as much time as humanly possible while trying to get it, and even though I got used to that, every once in a while the game just turns around and farts right in my face again.

See, in every level you have four keys and four chests, color-coded. You usually start with the grey chest, get a glorified key, unlock the next level, get the grey chest there, unlock some passage in the first level, get the red chest there, unlock another level and so on. This does indeed mean that you have to play every level four times at the very least, and in one of those runs, usually the last (after all the paths are unlocked), you also have to collect eight coins that are scattered everywhere so you can't even ignore the offshoot that only leads to the red chest you got long ago.

So far, so terrible. Now I played this cloud level today that is just the worst garbage, because it's very vertical and consists entirely of platforms that go on and off, the whole level nothing but jump wait jump jump wait, juuuust arythmic enough so you can't just push forward, and if you gently caress up once, you're likely to fall aaaaall the way to the bottom.
Thing is, I thought I was done with the worst nonsense because while I had yet to get the blue chest, I had already found all eight coins on the way to the green chest, AND I knew where the blue key was, so it should be smooth sailing, right?
Cue me jumping around like an idiot for 20 minutes, searching every corner again because I cannot find the loving blue chest. Eventually I gave up and looked it up.

It's literally on the moon.

Which comes up at night.

So yes, the game has a day/night mechanic that is used in...dunno...four levels and relevant for only one or two chests each per level, and the last time that happened was like 20 level and five hours ago. But now an entire section of the level is just not there if it's day, but there's nothing preventing you from going in there, getting the blue key and then futilely searching until you want to tear your hair out. By the by, that also happened in the literal second level of the game, because you start at day, finish the first level, switch to night, enter the second level at night and you can't find the grey chest at night, but you can progress quite a while into the level, searching everything, but it's simply impossible to win. It's just worse in the cloud level because I can go practically everywhere, I have found all coins which tells me I should have found every area, and have I mentioned how abysmal it is jumping around on those loving clouds?

Another fun fact about this godawful level: you can play a minigame at the start which opens up a block somewhere, you can do this on every pass of the level, but it's only required for the green chest. There's no way of knowing this. This means you can go aaaall the way up the level, find the green chest locked behind a minigame block, then have to fall down to the start, play the minigame, then jump all the way up again. Even for Warioland 3 standards, the cloud level is insanely grating.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Play wario land 4 instead, it's awesome

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Cleretic posted:

The open world sections were just a bunch of open space between bases. If you were lucky maybe you'd see the one truck patrolling between bases or one of the four different animal spawns, because despite there being a bunch of animals you can only catch most of them in bait cages or some poo poo. Or you could pick flowers, 10 at a time because resource grinding is a fun thing to do

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Digirat posted:

Play wario land 4 instead, it's awesome

What dragged down wario land 3 and 4 for me is that they weren't as totally rad as wario land 2. Wario Land 2 is the best Wario game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

ArtIsResistance posted:

The open world sections were just a bunch of open space between bases. If you were lucky maybe you'd see the one truck patrolling between bases or one of the four different animal spawns, because despite there being a bunch of animals you can only catch most of them in bait cages or some poo poo. Or you could pick flowers, 10 at a time because resource grinding is a fun thing to do

I dont know if they had more planned for the open world segment, but it very much feels like they release 85% of the game. There was meant to be another zone with a climactic battle but that got cut for time.