Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

c0burn posted:

https://youtu.be/hOdjijyWUOw

I've been working on a complete monster AI overhaul for my WIP quake mod. They now use waypoints (which are hand placed) and can basically navigate to you from one end of the map to the other. Combat is disabled for this test.

I'd love to see a mod (or a full game) where a really big, perhaps-unkillable monster is hunting you throughout the map. They always know where you are, or maybe are just really good at figuring it out, without knowing exactly, and you have to get poo poo done without dying to them. Sort of like RE3: Nemesis style, except it's completely organic when and where the unkillable thing will get you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's kinda the idea behind the Marine and Predator levels in Aliens vs Predator (Classic 2000.) Each level for these two have the Xenomorphs spawn in nest zones while you're wandering around trying to not die and do whatever your objective is.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd love to see a mod (or a full game) where a really big, perhaps-unkillable monster is hunting you throughout the map. They always know where you are, or maybe are just really good at figuring it out, without knowing exactly, and you have to get poo poo done without dying to them. Sort of like RE3: Nemesis style, except it's completely organic when and where the unkillable thing will get you.

The last few levels of Dead Space 2 did something like this and were loving awful.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't know why, but after playing Doom 4, Trailblazer 1.3 and replaying a bunch of vanilla Doom 1, I'm finding Project Brutality way less fun to play. :(

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

That's literally Alien: Isolation and it loving rules.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Convex posted:

The last few levels of Dead Space 2 did something like this and were loving awful.

Only because the monster wasn't so much 'unkillable', as 'hyper-killable'. If you had any sort of explosive weapon (fully upgraded javelin gun is hella OP) you could gib it every time it appears and just treat it like any other monster in your path.

As the post above says, Alien: Isolation does it right. Ideally, you avoid it, but you have a limited set of resources that you can use to distract or ward it off, but it's always intense and you're never quite 100% sure if your plan will work.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Elliotw2 posted:

That's kinda the idea behind the Marine and Predator levels in Aliens vs Predator (Classic 2000.) Each level for these two have the Xenomorphs spawn in nest zones while you're wandering around trying to not die and do whatever your objective is.

Oh, wait... I suppose Alien Isolation is kind of like this.

E:f, b :argh: (but thanks!)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Elliotw2 posted:

Aliens vs Predator (Classic 2000.)
Speaking of which; has any game since done proper volumetric deformation / shaping of explosions related to the environment geometry..? I remember being wowed that a grenade would make a dome shaped fireball out in the open, but pitched into a narrow tunnel it would make a fireball that filled the volume in both directions. Pretty impressive for 15 years ago.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
FEAR will do that if you have it fully updated on the PC, but I can't think of anything else.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LogicalFallacy posted:

Part of the problem is that Doom II was tested with pistol starts, so it was never properly balanced for a full playthrough. I can't remember the source for this info, and I'm on my phone on lunch break so hopefully someone else here can corroborate.

No, Doom II was properly balanced for a full play-through by lower skilled players who were taking saves every level or so. It was also balanced so that high skill players could beat every level from a pistol start on UltraViolence. And it was separately balanced so that low skill players who didn't save often enough weren't completely screwed by going back to a pistol when they started a level over.

Keep in mind that the ammo limits in vanilla Doom/Doom II keep you from being too overpowered at any one time just from having been through previous levels. Something that massively increases ammo limits, like you can do with DEH and BEX files, now that can really unbalance things. (Which is why messing with those is fun)

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young

nftyw posted:

There's a free server host you can use at best ever (http://www.best-ever.org/) but you'll have to set up an IRC account (so you can use the IRC bot) along with another one at Best Ever (so you can upload files and get blocked for trying to host circus2.wad). It will take some testing but they have a basic command for setting up a simple server on the frontpage, you can probably ask around for help setting up exactly the wads and settings you want.

Personally, I find co-op or invasion servers tend to have more lasting staying power since shooting things is always fun, but deathmatch tends to peter out as people get tired of getting owned back-to-back after ten minutes.

Cheers man, I'll check that out!

Yeah, we were fannying about with a local server and playing ENTRYWAY over and over again, and I was finding myself sandbagging just to keep it competitive, and I'm not a great player by any stretch of the imagination.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I was more asking in the sense of "is it noticeably less fun on HMP?" because, while I'm honestly doing okay on UV for the most part, having to fight two mancubi and a shitload of fodder enemies in a tiny space is a bastard.
I hate to break it to you, but:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: a mancubus and a bunch of imps, demons, and two shotgunners before you pick up the red key, and then a mancubus, two loving revenants, and a bunch of shotgunners and demons after you pick it up. Good loving god.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

got the red key and ran like hell in AA map 02 UV, guess what I find behind the door the red key switch opens, MORE loving REVENANTS

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i am very agitated by the skeletons

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

"RUN, HIDE, OR DIE

THE SPIDERS NEVER STOP"

oh loving hell
All of this is still very much present on HMP.

(Though the sign saying "the spiders never stop" lied. There's only like five of them on the pillar closest to you, if you have the rockets spare to snipe them down.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Modders keep breaking new grounds in Doom science, and making colossal strides toward a better future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyMjNqLXPr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBLikwEgsh0

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Hey guys, I dunno if this is old enough to count but I don't know where else to ask besides the Steam thread.

I'm looking to play through the original Far Cry again however I remember the original version having problems with enemies being able to see across valleys and through mountains. Are there any mods that have re-balanced the game and made it enjoyable or does it still become a slog at a certain point. I looked on Mod DB and saw some stuff, but all the patch/fix mods didn't have very specific notes for what they changed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

widespread posted:

Ah. Figured there was a port out there that gave the BFG away early.

Unrelated, but here's progress on my first map (of either thirty or nine, but probably 30 since Doom in Hexen format and all):

Was either the skybox hack or make a "Throbbing Blood Tube" as I called it.

Nice! You're making me want to post pics of the map I was playing around with a week or two ago. (I should finish that!)

c0burn posted:

https://youtu.be/hOdjijyWUOw

I've been working on a complete monster AI overhaul for my WIP quake mod. They now use waypoints (which are hand placed) and can basically navigate to you from one end of the map to the other. Combat is disabled for this test.

Oh ho ho, custom AI pathing in Quake? This is very much my poo poo. Looks like you've got things working pretty well already.

How does the vanilla quake AI pathing work? I've never really played around with it enough to test its limits. Do they use a navmesh or just calculate off the room polygons by casting rays or what?

The Dahaka in Prince of Persia was kinda like that, more of an environmental hazard than an enemy, that would keep tracking you down throughout levels. Or Nemesis from Resident Evil.

But I've always loved that idea and wanted people to do more with it. Was really hoping that The Pursuer in Dark Souls 2 would work that way, but not so much.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cat Mattress posted:

Modders keep breaking new grounds in Doom science, and making colossal strides toward a better future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyMjNqLXPr8

They should make this animation play when you beat a level, like the falling cards all over the screen when you win at Solitaire.

Love the corpse throwing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

All of this is still very much present on HMP.

(Though the sign saying "the spiders never stop" lied. There's only like five of them on the pillar closest to you, if you have the rockets spare to snipe them down.)

I mean, yeah, but I would imagine they're slightly less beefy and there's somewhat less imps, shotgunners, and demons restricting my movement.

Also, that's really good to know, because I killed like four of them and then stopped. If I can take all the Arachnotrons down that level will probably get a lot easier.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I want to play DooM with Brutal(-esque) mods but without needing to reload weapons. I assume my best bet would be Project Brutality in "Traditional" mode, right?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Traditional mode is vanilla gameplay with the Brutal aesthetic and (my favorite) no hitscan weapons.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

LogicalFallacy posted:

Traditional mode is vanilla gameplay with the Brutal aesthetic and (my favorite) no hitscan weapons.

Yeah that's what I'm playing (the Master levels) and it's nice. Is there anything else like it? Or is that what I should stick with when I play the classic levels again.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

There's also Random deaths & Decorations which is an aesthetic mod going for the feel of Brutal Doom by someone who used to spend a lot of time playing with Brutal Doom. I haven't tried it myself so I couldn't tell you exactly how good it is though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I want something that affects the weapons as well. Basically Brutal Doom (by itself, not PB) without reloads, but that doesn't seem to be a feature. I'll stick with PB Traditional then, thanks!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Morter posted:

I want to play DooM with Brutal(-esque) mods but without needing to reload weapons. I assume my best bet would be Project Brutality in "Traditional" mode, right?

You could also try Weapons of Saturn which tries to keep the weapons vanilla.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36821&hilit=Weapons+of+saturn

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

FanaticalMilk posted:

I'm looking to play through the original Far Cry again however I remember the original version having problems with enemies being able to see across valleys and through mountains. Are there any mods that have re-balanced the game and made it enjoyable or does it still become a slog at a certain point. I looked on Mod DB and saw some stuff, but all the patch/fix mods didn't have very specific notes for what they changed.

I don't know about valleys and mountains, but the last official patch for Far Cry broke the enemy AI, allowing them to see and shoot through certain walls. The unofficial patch supposedly fixes the issue.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Was just fumbling around the internet and stumbled across Total Chaos. Does anyone here know of some more vanilla-esque mods that look this drat pretty and are (preferably) in a released/playable state? Because holy poo poo this looks fantastic.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Zaphod42 posted:

The Dahaka in Prince of Persia was kinda like that, more of an environmental hazard than an enemy, that would keep tracking you down throughout levels.

Oh yeah, I remember that. And how he would also play Godsmack music at you.
Except when the audio glitched. Which was always.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't know why, but after playing Doom 4, Trailblazer 1.3 and replaying a bunch of vanilla Doom 1, I'm finding Project Brutality way less fun to play. :(

I mentioned it before in the thread but Doom 4 is going to provide a lot of inspiration to all the brutality modders. The stuff they'll come up with will be pretty great.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Wamdoodle posted:

You could also try Weapons of Saturn which tries to keep the weapons vanilla.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36821&hilit=Weapons+of+saturn

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=48985

The Faspons variant is also really good. The weapons feel a bit punchier and you have the option of turning reloading on or off. Most importantly, it adds things like imps, pinkies, and former humans getting charred when killed by the plasma rifle. :getin: There's lots of switches in the options menu to make it as vanilla as you want.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=48985

The Faspons variant is also really good. The weapons feel a bit punchier and you have the option of turning reloading on or off. Most importantly, it adds things like imps, pinkies, and former humans getting charred when killed by the plasma rifle. :getin: There's lots of switches in the options menu to make it as vanilla as you want.

Oh yea, that one too. I forgot it's a little customizable. I usually just use it with everything on :)

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Zaphod42 posted:

Nice! You're making me want to post pics of the map I was playing around with a week or two ago. (I should finish that!)

Oh ho ho, custom AI pathing in Quake? This is very much my poo poo. Looks like you've got things working pretty well already.

How does the vanilla quake AI pathing work? I've never really played around with it enough to test its limits. Do they use a navmesh or just calculate off the room polygons by casting rays or what?

It doesn't have anything remotely like that. There are two ways of making a monster move in the QuakeC via engine functions it can access. Walkmove() steps the monster x units in a direction. If something's in the way it simply fails. Movetogoal() is slightly more advanced but all it really is is randomly wobbling towards something. If you're interested check sv_move.c in the Quake engine source.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

FanaticalMilk posted:

God once the loving mutants show up a quarter of the way through that game it becomes such a slog. Every time I try to replay Far Cry I quit at the level where they throw you into the mutant-infested jungle with no weapons.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I downloaded Doom Builder. God help me.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I'm gonna be doing this after work tonight. Can't wait to make some terrible crap. :unsmith:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Man, why the hell does GOG not have the Soldier of Fortune games? I have a sudden urge to replay SoF1 and de-limb mooks with the shotgun.

Stop being greedy shits, Activision. :(

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
Trailblazer is the way Ancient Aliens was meant to be played.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

Hey guys, I dunno if this is old enough to count but I don't know where else to ask besides the Steam thread.

The last patch, which is how the game comes from Steam and GOG, fixed some MP stuff but introduced the bug in SP where enemies can see through things they shouldn't, like tents and such. Depending on the difficulty they'll still be able to see you from pretty far away, but not as much as with the patch. To get it back to the way it should be before the patch you have a bunch of options, but I would suggest the AMD patches first. They add a tiny bit more to the game and make it look a bit better. You can find the patches and clear instructions here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Far_Cry

You might run into a bug with the patches where on a couple of levels where textures come up missing, I just uninstalled the extra content patch for those levels and put it back after.

Also add "e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio = "100.000000"" and "e_vegetation_min_size = "0.000000"" in system.cfg in your main FarCry dir to get rid of the ugly pop-in sprites.

I wouldn't play anything past medium difficulty if you want to have fun. What exactly a slog is kinda up to interpretation, it's a 12 year old game and it shows. Outside of a few specific are-you-loving-kidding-me encounters with the slicey trigens in inside areas I didn't mind them, but the game generally keeps you on your toes anyway. Use flashbangs and the shotgun against the small jumpy slicy trigens if you can.

foozwak fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 20, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GlitchThief posted:

I'm gonna be doing this after work tonight. Can't wait to make some terrible crap. :unsmith:

:h::h::h:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

GlitchThief posted:

Remember to get GZDoom Builder instead for added functionality. Someone told me that and so far it's going good.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Are there any good tutorials I should start with or should I just jump in and start filling square spaces full of cyberdemons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

c0burn posted:

It doesn't have anything remotely like that. There are two ways of making a monster move in the QuakeC via engine functions it can access. Walkmove() steps the monster x units in a direction. If something's in the way it simply fails. Movetogoal() is slightly more advanced but all it really is is randomly wobbling towards something. If you're interested check sv_move.c in the Quake engine source.

I figured it'd be something dumb as a box of tacks. So they just pretty much spawn, move towards the player, and stop when they can't? Well, it works okay.

I've got the quake source downloaded somewhere already...

CJacobs posted:

Do ittttttt

GlitchThief posted:

Are there any good tutorials I should start with or should I just jump in and start filling square spaces full of cyberdemons?

I would read this article real fast:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_rendering_engine

That's what helped me figure out how the engine works and the things you'll need to know in order to manipulate it, like what the difference between a one-sided and a two-sided linedef is.

Once you know that, you should be good enough to just jump in and start throwing around verticies.

Then maybe google for tutorials on things like doors and elevators which are a little trickier, or just post here which is what I did a few months ago when I got stuck :shobon: