Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Regy Rusty posted:

"Not good with numbers, but good with patterns"

So if you then teach them to be good with numbers, who knows what could be possible?

90% of the Court's revenue comes from patented encryption algorithms. These fairies are keeping your bank account safe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

YF-23 posted:

90% of the Court's revenue comes from patented encryption algorithms. These fairies are keeping your bank account safe hiding terrorists from the authorities!

Maybe Smitty is the backdoor that the FBI wants.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mathematics of course famous for having no patterns.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'd love to see those forest folk try to figure out Pi.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

"Not good with numbers, but good with patterns"

So if you then teach them to be good with numbers, who knows what could be possible?

Not quite.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Court's secret bitcoin rig revealed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Not quite what

I was just quoting this page:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1584

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Not quite what

I was just quoting this page:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1584

:doh: I should have figured it was something like that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Mathematics of course famous for having no patterns.

It sometimes is!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So they take these forest spirits and teach them maths (fair enough) and then... data? lots of data?

seems sinister :spooky:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Hey it's not like they're chopping off their hands or anything like that

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Their computer browsers are locked into knowyourmeme.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the NSFae

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'd love to see those forest folk try to figure out Pi.

Oh pi's easy. It's the ratio of the square of the radius to the area of a circle, or twice the radius to the circumference.

What do you mean you were looking for a precise number?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Strategic Tea posted:

So they take these forest spirits and teach them maths (fair enough) and then... data? lots of data?

seems sinister :spooky:

Big data! Probably in the cloud. So it can rain ether down later.

Seriously, they might be a magical GCHQ or something, but I'm guessing they're having them work on problems relating to etheric technology.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm picturing fairy computer school like the computer episode of Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kesper North posted:

Big data! Probably in the cloud. So it can rain ether down later.

Seriously, they might be a magical GCHQ or something, but I'm guessing they're having them work on problems relating to etheric technology.

I'm guessing there's a thousand applications they use them for.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

VanSandman posted:

What do you mean you were looking for a precise number?

Just use the definition: 2*f^-1(0), for f(x):= 1/2 (e^(ix)+e^(-ix)).

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
That hard drive is never getting defragmented now.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I kinda wish he was wall-eyed while chomping away at all those bytes.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

So, if the Court give Fairies their clothes, the clothes have etheric symbols, and all the fairies are collectively one giant computing cluster...I guess the Court found some use for Anja and Donald's etheric computers after all?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
maybe eventually the fairy bit fades away and the Court dumps the groggy human somewhere in Birmingham

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'd be interested in seeing if there's fairies/former forest dwellers that have integrated more into regular human court society.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

drat it I still wanna see Red's cool job for grownups!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Oh good, I am glad everyone else is picking up on this magical sweatshop vibe.

What sets fairies and forest animals free?

Does the forest have their own version were court goers who switch to the animal side are exploited? (Honestly I think they just get eaten)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Donkringel posted:

What sets fairies and forest animals free?

Does the forest have their own version were court goers who switch to the animal side are exploited? (Honestly I think they just get eaten)

Coyote personally hunts down and eats every human who turns into an animal. Not because he hates them or anything, he just thinks it's funny to do so.

Remember that kid who turned into a bird with his parents? Coyote ate all three of them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well, we've never seen humans turn into magic elves or anything, just regular animals. So they might not have it any better even if they're not being actively exploited.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Donkringel posted:

I'm waiting for the cutaway to Annie as she picks up the same thing. I'm hoping for less righteous anger and more just a "...what".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There is no evidence it does the fairies any harm or that The Forest isn't totally aware of what's happening.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So clothes are gray in the ether because they don't, in some sense, truly belong to the person wearing them?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They seem pretty happy about this much like the orphans working in my basement.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You know who else employs a fey labor force? Santa Claus. If what we're seeing here is wrong, then Santa Claus is also wrong.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Seeing how the ether works, Santa is obviously real in the Gunnerkrigg Court world. I bet Jones knows him.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The ex-forest people look pretty chill with the arrangement. Plus, they apparently can do the work on autopilot so they get to goof off and work at the same time. Sounds pretty cool to me. Better than most office jobs.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yeah they can split their attention so well that they can goof off and learn complex mathematics at the same time a la this page.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kyte posted:

The ex-forest people look pretty chill with the arrangement. Plus, they apparently can do the work on autopilot so they get to goof off and work at the same time. Sounds pretty cool to me. Better than most office jobs.

It's also better than being eaten, which is probably what would have happened to that bunny had she stayed in the forest.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A legitimate ethical conundrum: is it still exploitation if the exploited party doesn't know, care, or even subscribe to a social context capable of describing, that they're being taken advantage of; or is it some different kind of problematic scenario.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bongo Bill posted:

A legitimate ethical conundrum: is it still exploitation if the exploited party doesn't know, care, or even subscribe to a social context capable of describing, that they're being taken advantage of; or is it some different kind of problematic scenario.

I don't know, let's ask the American working class.

:smugdog:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The Court takes its duty of custodianship towards the fairies very seriously. A lot of thought goes into their names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
The speech bubble that's covered up probably says "Your assessment results don't leave you a lot of other options." So I see that the court has a high regard of its teaching staff too.

Also Annie's hair is overheating she needs to stop running Aether.exe or something.