Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, forgot you had the E46 too, that softens the blow a bit I guess. Sorry to hear about the Z4M though - but do you not usually see raised copper levels as well with that failure impending? I know that's definitely a component of the signs on the S65. Maybe it'll just be a one time raised lead level from '<fuel detergent/additive>' or whatever else contamination, and your 4k interval will clear things up. Glass half full, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I've just changed the fuel filter and i'm thinking of putting some magic juice in the gas tank of my E39 to clean out the fuel system. Good idea or not? What's the recommended brand?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

It is a bummer. It's really something that once you see the signs, it's just a matter of time. Prices I've seen are in the $2k - $3k range for the job.

The parts are under a grand with uprated conrod bolts. Not hard to do if you can raise the front of the car. Just sayin'.

ninja: LS swap

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Im thinking of doing the bearings when I hit 100k just because. It really doesnt look that bad, and weve got some tits nut runners at work that can do the whole torque sequence them selves/

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Now considering an E28 sight unseen from ebay. On a scale of 0 to Trump Presidency, how bad an idea is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-5-Series-IS-/252394331543?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ac3dfdd97:g:ZEgAAOSwu1VW6yK8&item=252394331543

Do it, unless you really need AC, since it's gonna be some $$$ to get it fixed, it was like $1700 or something to fix and convert the AC to r134 in mine. That one already has the best wheels on it too.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

rscott posted:

Do it, unless you really need AC, since it's gonna be some $$$ to get it fixed, it was like $1700 or something to fix and convert the AC to r134 in mine. That one already has the best wheels on it too.
I think I'm gunna. It was repainted a year ago in the original color and supposedly is rust free. Is there any way to tell if it's a real is and not an i with the seats and spoiler swapped in? AC isn't a big deal. I like windows down.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Got to drive a gorgeous 6-speed M235 in Estoril Blue yesterday at the dealer, even though I made it pretty clear I was only interested in the M2. Awesome car all around, and it really looked amazing. I was surprised at how little of the engine noise got in to the cabin, even in sport mode. Still, it's a tough sell at the price, especially since the M240 just got announced with 15 more horsepower and 39 ft-lbs. Is there any difference in the interior between an M235/240 and M2?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 20, 2016

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I don't really get the existence of the M240 and M2. Also seems like BMW wants to trick people into google searching about american machine guns.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

willroc7 posted:

I think I'm gunna. It was repainted a year ago in the original color and supposedly is rust free. Is there any way to tell if it's a real is and not an i with the seats and spoiler swapped in? AC isn't a big deal. I like windows down.

The VIN should tell you but it's just the spoiler/front lip and suspension stuff that's gonna be worn out by now anyways. My 535is has blistein HDs and some springs.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

rscott posted:

The VIN should tell you but it's just the spoiler/front lip and suspension stuff that's gonna be worn out by now anyways. My 535is has blistein HDs and some springs.
The carfax shows 535i but I don't know if that's definitive. The VIN is WBADC740XH1717066 if you're capable of better google-fu than I. Carfax:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oBHQ8SNzjecU1qbkRuMFNHREI3Z245b0FPNWlNQTFrYWV3/view?usp=sharing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A VIN decoder says it comes with sports suspension, sport seats, and a spoiler.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Got to drive a gorgeous 6-speed M235 in Estoril Blue yesterday at the dealer, even though I made it pretty clear I was only interested in the M2. Awesome car all around, and it really looked amazing. I was surprised at how little of the engine noise got in to the cabin, even in sport mode. Still, it's a tough sell at the price, especially since the M240 just got announced with 15 more horsepower and 39 ft-lbs. Is there any difference in the interior between an M235/240 and M2?

As far as I can tell the M235i's are nearly inaudible outside the cabin too, I've seen quite a few of them by now and they all seem to be Estoril. They also look kind of downmarket next to the M2/other M cars.

m2:

235i with optional M badge:

Same design but higher quality materials/stitching treatment in the M2, and a chunkier wheel rim.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hate that stupid ipad thing. Find a better way to integrate it than just gluing it to the dash.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
IMO it looks better as an added screen up top rather than something that makes the console wider.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I used to hate the screen that came out of the dash, but at least in the audi you can press a button and make the whole thing go away.
I would love to have that, the big screen on the dash is set to "off" on both my cars, but that only displays a black jpg, all the backlights and stuff are still on.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So... how bad of an idea would this be?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/winnipeg/2007-bmw-335i-sport/1166644169?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

07 335i coupe, auto, with 115k km (~72k miles) with a recent water pump change allegedly. Has ugly wheels and lovely coilovers, but ad states he'll take them off before sale if you ask. Things I should look out for other than GDCS?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Bajaha posted:

So... how bad of an idea would this be?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/winnipeg/2007-bmw-335i-sport/1166644169?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

07 335i coupe, auto, with 115k km (~72k miles) with a recent water pump change allegedly. Has ugly wheels and lovely coilovers, but ad states he'll take them off before sale if you ask. Things I should look out for other than GDCS?

Injectorssssss.

Don't buy an N54 BMW without a warranty.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Welp, traded the M Coupe in for a GTI. See yall in 3 years when my lease is up, maybe in an M4.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Welp, traded the M Coupe in for a GTI. See yall in 3 years when my lease is up, maybe in an M4.

I've had mine almost a year... bunch of power (a tune+dp makes ~300whp) but I'm bored with it because of FWD. Fak.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Traded in.. lease? :catstare:

I'm.. confused. Help me understand?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did you put down money on a lease?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
540Tales:

Alternator shat out last night. i was not surprised as I've always suspected it, dog low voltage at idle/low revs and my lights loved dimming.

Picked up a replacement for 170 + core, did the swap. Knew how to do it as I pulled the god drat old one 2 months ago for a test.
Lots faster this time as I know the particular 3-axis rotation to get it out of the bay without removing the clutch fan.
I was all fretting about how to remove the pulley from the old alt, then i was all "duh its trash" and jammed the Fuckoff Screwdriver into the fan blades through the front vents. 24mm socket cracked it loose nicely after that.

Started up like a champ, good 12.7 volts at idle now, and that's charging the half-dead battery.

~keepin em on the rooooooad~

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I had the M Coupe financed. I had a little negative equity which I decided to cover with cash. Other than that no I didn't put anything down.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Someone's playing Real Life Forza:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I had the M Coupe financed. I had a little negative equity which I decided to cover with cash. Other than that no I didn't put anything down.

I thought the prices for Z4MC was appreciating due to rarity

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

I thought the prices for Z4MC was appreciating due to rarity
That is what owners would like you to think. The ones with ridiculously low mileage (15,000 and less) are usually put for sale at prices in the 30's to 40's. Otherwise, they're usually still being listed between 20-30k depending on mileage/mods/maintenance/condition. There are a bunch available across the country at any given time and if you're paying over $25k for a good stock example IMO you're overpaying. They're also a pretty niche car and the demand isn't that high for them. And you can get into a convertible even cheaper.

Might they appreciate in the next 10 years? It's possible. But I doubt they'll ever see Clownshoe values.

That said, they're really excellent cars and I miss mine already.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 23, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Couple e30 questions:

Is there any way to relocate the front licence plate on a 1988 (diving board bumpers + late model valence weirdness) without drilling? And where are my front tow point(s) I've read a few text descriptions but can't find them. There's a lot of mixed/bad info out there for 1988 specific stuff so I'm not sure if I'm just retarded or if I'm looking in the wrong places. Has anyone ever used one of those relocating kits on a 1988, or even just seen it done?

Do decent H rated 195/65-14 tires still exist in the US, or what other sizes would be appropriate for 14" is weaves with a stock sport suspension? I've gone to every tire place in my city and they look at me like I'm crazy. I'm not worried about the speedo reading accurately if i use a different size, but I don't want any rubbing or tiny wheels, or to ruin the ride quality. Help me find new tires, and I'll reward you with burnout videos while I ruin what remains of the old ones!

Textar brake pads are OEM right? Are they an acceptable cheap street pad or is there anything else I should look at? 50/side is about my max budget, as I also need to do rotors, full pads and rotors on the other cars, and rubber on the e30 ASAP with limited funds. Among other projects. Just need something acceptable to get me by until I can catch up.

bonus: valence shot i took today after reattaching the lip spoiler. ripped it off pulling in quick to a parking spot to avoid getting hit by an inattentive driver outside the weed store (of course) and caught it in the corner, but the spoiler survived. looks a lot nicer now with the black clips.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 24, 2016

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So a buddy of mine has a 95 M3, I've posted some pictures of it recently. It has a recently rebuilt 5-speed. While under the car yesterday, he saw a couple of drops from the drain plug. Like a genius, he grabbed the nearest tool, a breaker car, and proceeded to overtighten the plug and create a hairline fracture.

He has some JB Weld on it for now but we're trying to figure out what the best fix is.

More JB Weld?
Actually welding the housing?
Replacing the aft portion of the transmission housing?
Crush the car?

Hell of a lesson to learn.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
ZF320s are super common so I'd just replace the whole thing.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Couple e30 questions:

Is there any way to relocate the front licence plate on a 1988 (diving board bumpers + late model valence weirdness) without drilling? And where are my front tow point(s) I've read a few text descriptions but can't find them. There's a lot of mixed/bad info out there for 1988 specific stuff so I'm not sure if I'm just retarded or if I'm looking in the wrong places. Has anyone ever used one of those relocating kits on a 1988, or even just seen it done?

Do decent H rated 195/65-14 tires still exist in the US, or what other sizes would be appropriate for 14" is weaves with a stock sport suspension? I've gone to every tire place in my city and they look at me like I'm crazy. I'm not worried about the speedo reading accurately if i use a different size, but I don't want any rubbing or tiny wheels, or to ruin the ride quality. Help me find new tires, and I'll reward you with burnout videos while I ruin what remains of the old ones!

Textar brake pads are OEM right? Are they an acceptable cheap street pad or is there anything else I should look at? 50/side is about my max budget, as I also need to do rotors, full pads and rotors on the other cars, and rubber on the e30 ASAP with limited funds. Among other projects. Just need something acceptable to get me by until I can catch up.

bonus: valence shot i took today after reattaching the lip spoiler. ripped it off pulling in quick to a parking spot to avoid getting hit by an inattentive driver outside the weed store (of course) and caught it in the corner, but the spoiler survived. looks a lot nicer now with the black clips.

You have the stock license plate location. Since your car appears to be an 88 with the metal bumpers with plastic valence, I'm not sure where your front tow point is. On plastic bumpers, it's threaded into a place behind a cover on the bumper.

I haven't been able to find any good 195/65/14s. Tirerack had some lovely ones last I looked. The ones I have I on my stock 14's would best be described as round and made of rubber.

Don't know about those pads, but I'm sure they'll get you down the road.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
14's are a dead market now unless you feel like going full retard and getting some toyo race tires. discounttiredirect will be having a sale on tires this weekend so you might find something there.

Move to 15's, they are better in every way.

for brake pads look on rockauto or rmeuropean or autohausaz. dont worry about what is "oem" just find what fits your budget and needs.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Someone's playing Real Life Forza:

Hey I know that guy and car. He's happy with it and from the better pictures he posted it looks like they did a great job on it. Still race livery on a street car is kind of meh. Of course now I can't find the drat pictures he posted.

Meanwhile I can't talk the team into putting a DTM inspired livery on our race car

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
There are a boatload of options in 205/50/15 and 225/45/15, those are what sizes I'd run. Yeah they're undersize but you actually have something to choose from.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Crustashio posted:

There are a boatload of options in 205/50/15 and 225/45/15, those are what sizes I'd run. Yeah they're undersize but you actually have something to choose from.

Good advice for 6 cylinder cars. On 4 cylinder cars, it's awful.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
205/50/15's are great on my 318iS

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

205/50/15's are great on my 318iS

On my 318i on the highway it's super annoying :shrug:

I do not like the car being geared shorter than it already is.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I only drive it at 60-65 on the freeway to/from the track and that's about it. IDK but I love shifting gears constantly in it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hey I know that guy and car. He's happy with it and from the better pictures he posted it looks like they did a great job on it. Still race livery on a street car is kind of meh. Of course now I can't find the drat pictures he posted.

Meanwhile I can't talk the team into putting a DTM inspired livery on our race car

Nice, I saw it sitting there the day before they wrapped it and it looked gorgeous but I didn't snap a shot. I gotta say I'm not normally one for livery on the street either, but this looked pretty cool and properly vintage with the old-school Marlboro logos. He just did it to have for street use? I figured it was being done up for a classic Rally or something.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I got some general altimaxes for my w126 which runs the same size as that, I don't remember what they're rated though

e: maybe they're 195/60r14, there seems to be a lot more choices in that size

rscott fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekma
Apr 27, 2006

I'm getting some annoyingly harsh vibrations in my e46 at speeds above like 55 mph. Like wobble at steering wheel and lovely automated massage from the body. It was even worse for a while until I noticed my left front brake was stuck and dragging. Got it fixed and none of the other brakes seem to be dragging, or at least they're not generating any extra heat that could be felt after driving. The vibrations started when I switched from winter tires to summer tires so the most obvious reason would be lovely tires (which they probably are) but it would seem really odd that they would go to this lovely from just sitting some months. Last summer everything was quite fine.

Any suggestions?

First thing I'm gonna try out next is to lower tire pressure a bit to see if it has any notable effect. Might be running the tires bit too hard. Could the brakes still be dragging even if they don't generate enough heat to be felt after driving? Anything that could've been hosed up with the change of tires?