Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Yeah I like all the actresses besides Leslie Jones, who strikes me as a better stand-up comedian than actor but the material looks inauthentic and cheesey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Deakul posted:

It doesn't have a chance in hell at being any good.

It will probably be good. Bridesmaids and Spy were both really entertaining movies.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

kiimo posted:

I'm not sure where the line is between being "mad that it stars women" and "being mad because you're rebooting a classic with pointless stunt casting to make some point" but I'm sure a lot of people fall on both sides of that line.

What is "stunt casting"?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jewmanji posted:

What is "stunt casting"?

Beyonce-types

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Stunt casting is when you cast someone for the sheer novelty of having them in the role, rather than strictly based on their suitability to perform it. I don't have a problem with it, since you could argue that specifically seeking A-listers isn't much different.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Stunt casting is when you cast someone for the sheer novelty of having them in the role, rather than strictly based on their suitability to perform it. I don't have a problem with it, since you could argue that specifically seeking A-listers isn't much different.

Are there any famous examples?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Rurea posted:

John Wayne as Genghis Khan?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Rurea posted:

kindergarten cop

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Rurea posted:

All of The Butler

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Rurea posted:

I mean, y'know

[looks back and forth to make sure we're alone]

[looks back and forth again]

Women

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

Rurea posted:

Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Chadzok posted:

kindergarten cop

Also, every other Arnold comedy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rurea posted:

It's way way more common in TV, where you can bring in a guest star during sweeps to pump up your ratings. So stuff like Robin Williams doing an episode of Law and Order, Brad Pitt showing up in Friends (this one was double effective because he was married to Jennifer Aniston at the time), Elizabeth Taylor showing up in each of four CBS sitcoms on the same night, etc. These have varying results, because occasionally the famous person does really well (the aforementioned Robin Williams example, the All in the Family episode where Sammy Davis Jr. shows up for about 10 minutes), but most of the time they suck.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jewmanji posted:

No, actually there are a lot of very vocal people upset about the fact that they are women.

Sorry, I was taking the discussion in the context of this thread. Obviously no matter what it is, someone on the internet is angry about it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

It's way way more common in TV, where you can bring in a guest star during sweeps to pump up your ratings. So stuff like Robin Williams doing an episode of Law and Order, Brad Pitt showing up in Friends (this one was double effective because he was married to Jennifer Aniston at the time), Elizabeth Taylor showing up in each of four CBS sitcoms on the same night, etc. These have varying results, because occasionally the famous person does really well (the aforementioned Robin Williams example, the All in the Family episode where Sammy Davis Jr. shows up for about 10 minutes), but most of the time they suck.

The Robin Williams thing was for Homicide: Life on The Street, and it was so good and successful it revitalized NBC's faith in the show, which was essentially already cancelled and had been given a short episode order instead of being cleanly sliced after the first season as a favor to the producers. David Simon wrote about the brief moment in time he was in orbit with Williams, having co-written the episode: http://davidsimon.com/robin-williams-a-brief-encounter/

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
No, there was a Robin Williams thing for Law and Order too. It was SVU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

PBS Newshour posted:

Yeah, that one was odd. Instead of the weekly perp, he was more like a Bond villain that mysteriously disappeared instead of being caught.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

It will probably be good. Bridesmaids and Spy were both really entertaining movies.

They would've been better with Seth Rogen instead of the stupid stunt casting.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rurea posted:

christopher walken in peter pan

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

PBS Newshour posted:

I remember that episode. It was really odd, but Robin Williams could pull off playing a creepy motherfucker.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rurea posted:

Orlando Bloom in Troy and Daniel Radcliffe in the upcoming Now You See Me sequel are the two most recent ones that come to mind.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Jedit posted:

Sorry, I was taking the discussion in the context of this thread. Obviously no matter what it is, someone on the internet is angry about it.

There are a lot of loud and obnoxious "someones" out there though. It's rather impressive how quickly 7000 angry neckbeards can down-vote a trailer on Youtube while flinging poo poo at the actresses in the comments.

Electromax posted:

They would've been better with Seth Rogen instead of the stupid stunt casting.

Rogen in a wedding gown making GBS threads in the street would have secured at least 10 Oscar nominations.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 20, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This conversation just makes me really miss Robin Williams :(

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Would you call Marlon Brando's role in The Freshman "stunt casting" or necessary for the movie?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

His peak stunt cast role would be in Superman I think

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

effectual posted:

Would you call Marlon Brando's role in The Freshman "stunt casting" or necessary for the movie?

Both.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

effectual posted:

Necessary :colbert: Carmine is goddamn awesome. That is my favorite Brando movie just because he actually looks like he's enjoying himself and the movie he's in.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
New international trailer for Ghostbusters (pretty much like trailer 2 with just a few extra snippets): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2HPOw4h8Fo

I mean, I'm not as down on it as everyone else so I'm kind of cautiously optimistic. I'm a fan of all the talent involved and, while it's not some day 1 thing for me (or even really a theater movie for me) I do want to watch it.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
It's tie-in marketing, and not a trailer, but...
https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/733613698644738048

sorry kiimo

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Baha ha ha ha. That's awesome.

Bringing it back to Ghostbusters for a second and I feel like people are putting so much pressure on this movie before it even begins. Like some people are hoping it does well because that will stick it to the MRA idiots out there, while women-hating idiots out there hope it bombs beyond belief because how dare they cast women in their beloved old movie. I know they are actresses and whatnot, but part of me feels a bit sorry for the stars of the movie, because it seems like they have been trying to defend the movie from even before it was made and now if the movie comes out and it bombs we will have to deal with 100 of thought pieces about where it all went wrong and can women carry a beloved franchise and some such bs.
Maybe it just seems that way to me, but it felt like if this movie was anything below perfect some people, it would mean one idiot fraction won out on another, and it just feels like that is an unfair standard to put on a movie like this. No-one would give a flying gently caress if it was an all-male cast and the movie still sucked, but because it is an all female cast, certain people are ready with pitchforks.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If only they'd had the foresight to make the original Ghostbusters with 2 women, we wouldn't be having this problem. Swap Egon for that goofy secretary lady and Zedd for Pam Grier or something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rurea posted:

Patrick Stewart as Othello.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzWIGFiGrlA

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Better than the last trailer, but I think they swung too far in the other direction. Ends up looking kind of dry.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Aww poo poo, that loving piano note.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aww poo poo, that loving piano note.

now you know its gonna go down.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's like they decided the first trailer was too quirky/different, so now they made the most boring trailer possible where they follow the current trailers trends to the loving letter.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I mean, how could you expect anything else, given the generally negative reaction to that first teaser?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I started to look for the high middle C or whatever it was, but I lost track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rtiAQk3ojE

This is much more my speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I can't believe that in a conversation about stunt casting y'all didn't call out Sean Connery as Richard the Lionhearted from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

• Locked thread