Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

who is making him a villain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c&t=10s

The worst of it is when you have professional comedians dog-piling on James, reading into it that he must be with the sexists to have this opinion. James not wanting to spend his money to see the reboot is his business. I think a lot of internet reviewer fans felt entitled to him making a review vlog of the movie, or do not understand the realities of film economics.

achillesforever6 posted:

I can sympathize since I really wanted a 4th Jurassic Park movie and followed all the development/rumors for it for 10 years and then we got Jurassic World which in retrospect was not a good movie :smith:

I've come to initially suspect all sequels to movies. The cynical Hollywood system of sequels and remakes and reboots is too much for me to get hyped about everything. Some movies, like fury Road, put out trailers that assuage my fears and get me hyped. Others, well they make me want to stay away. Some like Jurrassic Park 4, I may be undecided, and see it with friends. It was a disappointing movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I just read an unrelated article calling the AVGN show "misogynistic" based solely on articles responding to his video. A video that wasn't an AVGN video.

I mean, it's not like AVGN is free of misogyny, but it's more calling up a particular era than conjuring the feminism boogeyman, and the writer really clearly hasn't bothered to watch any of the show.

What I'm saying is, people with some level of media reporting influence are jumping on Rolfe and influencing what others believe about his work, and that's terrible for a variety of reasons.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"misogynistic" in scare quotes

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Puppy Time posted:

What I'm saying is, people with some level of media reporting influence are jumping on Rolfe and influencing what others believe about his work, and that's terrible for a variety of reasons.

It's definitely weird. Rolfe's video wasn't misogynistic, Patton Oswald's tweet wasn't implying as much, but somewhere along the lines people just started assuming things without looking at the source of the issue.

edit: :tinfoil: you don't think Sony's trying to manufacture a controversy do you?

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 20, 2016

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

PassTheRemote posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c&t=10s

The worst of it is when you have professional comedians dog-piling on James, reading into it that he must be with the sexists to have this opinion. James not wanting to spend his money to see the reboot is his business. I think a lot of internet reviewer fans felt entitled to him making a review vlog of the movie, or do not understand the realities of film economics.

You're right that nobody is entitled to a review from him, but he is a smart person with interesting things to say about the Ghostbusters franchise and it's not unreasonable to want to hear what he thinks about the new one. Even if his opinion can be summarized by "it's hot garbage," it's likely that he'd be able to articulate it in a more effective way because of his experience.

If he chooses not to participate because he doesn't qualify for a press screening and doesn't want to give them a cent, that's a different story. I imagine a lot of his fans don't entirely understand that aspect.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Good loving lord shut up

Thew Adams posted a review of Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee with a guest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M7bRCyZeDU

I don't care for toy collecting at all, but Thew is one of those people who are so lovably passionate about the things they like that it's just a joy to watch to see him talk about toys.

Also helps that he has a very dorky sense of humor, with his love for stupid puns and nonsensical portmanteaus.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

SkinCrawling posted:

Thew Adams posted a review of Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee with a guest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M7bRCyZeDU

I'm jealous of his beard, his collection, his channel, and his friend's hat.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

SkinCrawling posted:

I don't care for toy collecting at all, but Thew is one of those people who are so lovably passionate about the things they like that it's just a joy to watch to see him talk about toys.

Also helps that he has a very dorky sense of humor, with his love for stupid puns and nonsensical portmanteaus.

I wish I could love and enjoy anything as much as this man clearly enjoys his plastic transforming robots. It's absolutely infectious how much happy he is with them.

He's also one of the few metalheads on youtube that actually looks like he can dress himself in the morning and has normal social skills.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Puppy Time posted:

I just read an unrelated article calling the AVGN show "misogynistic" based solely on articles responding to his video. A video that wasn't an AVGN video.

Was it the 538 thing, or did more than one article do that?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Puppy Time posted:

Basically if you're not Phelous, don't bother. I've seen some tolerable skits, but Phelous is the only dude I can think of whose skits I've actually enjoyed.

Oh, wait, Radu Reviews also owns. So Phelous or dating Phelous I guess?

Good thing Brad's dating Phelous.

Which must be hard on Lupa. There could be nothing sadder.

(Cut to scene of Kung Tai Ted in a wheel chair, desperately trying to seek any affection at all, being completely ignored by his cat--)

STOP MAKING ME SAD!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Idran posted:

Was it the 538 thing, or did more than one article do that?

That one, yeah. It was disappointing, because like there are plenty of reasons to point to AVGN as a dumb and crappy show (poop obsession, just about watching a guy get mad playing lovely games) but dude just got lazy.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
https://youtu.be/_uvbO3kLkgw

Pretty good Pre Rec. Obviously they loved D04M but their discussion of mechanics and overall design is nice too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tracula posted:

I BELIEVE IN STAN

It holds up. But the newest BotW is the most insane thing ever.

Spoilers? Maybe??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M2khjpOxzc&t=2535s

Some kind soul gif all of this. PLEASE

Oh my god. I just watched this and holy poo poo it is amazing. The VHS barrel has no bottom. I'm glad they have finally abandoned the wheel conceit and are just choosing the craziest ones. I've seen that one with the Fonz though. It's depressing and insane.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Mischalaniouse posted:

Like someone linked Phelous's Dingo Pictures Hunchback of Notre Dame review awhile back. Linking again for your convenience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WAEGF1THFE
[/video]

Holy poo poo. It's certainly a horrible rule - whenever you think Dingo can't get any worse, they somehow manage it. Thank God Wabuu wasn't somehow in this one as well though. OR WAS HE?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

Holy poo poo. It's certainly a horrible rule - whenever you think Dingo can't get any worse, they somehow manage it. Thank God Wabuu wasn't somehow in this one as well though. OR WAS HE?

Wabuu played the Hunchback's hunch.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Infamous Sphere posted:

That man should shave his hair, at the least wash it

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Calaveron posted:

?

Brad doesn't have hair.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

lornekates posted:

?

Brad doesn't have hair.

I think they're talking about Phelous. He's the one reviewing Dingo Pictures cartoons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I always get the same low-level sense of dread while watching Dingo Pictures movies, like there's something horrible and malicious hiding just below their uncanny produced-by-aliens-or-AI presentation and I'll get a glimpse of it one of these times.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

TheMaestroso posted:

I think they're talking about Phelous. He's the one reviewing Dingo Pictures cartoons.

That makes even less sense. Brad plays The Cinema Snob, he doesn't play Phelous.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
There's no mention of Brad Jones in this reply chain until you - I'm not sure why you're insisting on it so hard.

Mischalaniouse posted:

Like someone linked Phelous's Dingo Pictures Hunchback of Notre Dame review awhile back. Linking again for your convenience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WAEGF1THFE

Infamous Sphere posted:

Calaveron posted:

lornekates posted:

?

Brad doesn't have hair.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sage put up a video about samurai Champloo. I mostly agree though I don't think kirk Thornton was any good as Jin.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
New Errant Signal on Dark Souls 3

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Just posting some random critique videos I've come across. First is from mieDax, who did two videos I liked: one on Star Fox Zero, and another on the combat in Kingdom Hearts II.

The other video was about the original Thief vs. Triple-A games. It's been a while since I watched it, but I remember that I had a couple of nitpicks about some of the points he made.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Time to kick off the Doctor Who Book Guide proper with the first book of the Virgin New Adventures, "Timewyrm: Genesys" by John Peel. It's got Gilgamesh, neanderthals, robot snake ladies and, um, the Doctor chastising Ace when she expresses her desire not to be sexually molested. Yeah, the series kind of starts off on a gross note.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I’ve been laid up with a kidney stone for the last few days (and I pray you never get one, they’re the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced), but once my meds kicked in, I was able to edit together Allison Pregler’s return to Cheapskate Live!

We’re watching another episode of Acapulco H.E.A.T. Allison’s a great guest and fun to talk to. Thanks again for joining me!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

echopapa posted:

(and I pray you never get one, they’re the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced)

I dashed to the ER because I legitimately thought I might be dying.

Little did I know, it was actually a tiny piss pebble.

That's my addition to kidney stone talk :v:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

echopapa posted:

I’ve been laid up with a kidney stone for the last few days (and I pray you never get one, they’re the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced), but once my meds kicked in, I was able to edit together Allison Pregler’s return to Cheapskate Live!

We’re watching another episode of Acapulco H.E.A.T. Allison’s a great guest and fun to talk to. Thanks again for joining me!

Always got that confused with T.H.U.N.D.E.R in Paradise when it was on. Truly the 90s were a golden age of syndicated Saturday afternoon action shows with acronyms set in coastal locations.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

echopapa posted:

Thanks for having me! Hope you feel better, man, yikes!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Jack Gladney posted:

Always got that confused with T.H.U.N.D.E.R in Paradise when it was on. Truly the 90s were a golden age of syndicated Saturday afternoon action shows with acronyms set in coastal locations.

Yeah, there must be some reason why we didn't get other shows filmed in Mexico. Maybe it was too expensive to insure there.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK7-tBuEoq4

:toot:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

"Oh Mike, I didn't know you hate women..."
"...what?"
:lol:

edit: Man I've always loved Tremors but I never realized it was this objectively good.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 24, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Want to hear more about Star Fox? Too bad! Game Maker's Toolkit did a video on Star Fox Zero's controls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m544qfVMIPs

And Jim Sterling did a video on the Doomguy and how great he is. The new Doom is awesome and you should play it, by the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AphprlpAVyE

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
edit: I should actually read the thread, apparently, instead of occasionally opening it up and closing it immediately. I'm glad RLM is finally talking about actually good movies, instead of surprisingly good movies.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Augus posted:

And Jim Sterling did a video on the Doomguy and how great he is. The new Doom is awesome and you should play it, by the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AphprlpAVyE

The scene with the lenses and Doomguy just stomping the poo poo out of them is probably one of my favorite bits of characterization in any game. It just sums him up so well. As Jim also mentioned him fist bumping the dolls and doing the T2 thumbs up are also amazing and really gives him that bit of humanity. Yes he's literally anger incarnate and loving hates the demons but there's definitely a little bit of levity there as well.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

With him calling them Tremors a lot, I think I get "triggering".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They did it just for you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Are terrible written reviews on-topic for this thread? Because I just found the neo-Nazi perspective on The Angry Birds Movie, and it's... quite something.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

Are terrible written reviews on-topic for this thread? Because I just found the neo-Nazi perspective on The Angry Birds Movie, and it's... quite something.

"When the West was great, our children were raised with stories and sagas, folk tales and common prayer. Today, they are raised by corporate franchises, worship skeleton superheroes, and experience reality through a screen. We must resist and turn to older, better ways. But in The Current Year, all too often the best many parents can do is find some movie that’s not completely pozzed they can take their children to.

That movie has emerged. It’s time to redpill your children. It’s time to take them to see The Angry Birds Movie."

Holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY172rzvbWE
HBomberGuy's new video. So you're onto Davis again?
I love how you have the skull and fedora in the background of your workspace. Subtle.

• Locked thread