Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The biggest star in movies hands down is currently Robert Downey Jr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Leo?

Robert is only a star as Iron Man (and maybe Sherlock Holmes, but it's been five years since one of those) at the moment, which pulls in more money overall, but Leo has a consistency across genres and hasn't had a disappointment like The Judge. Motherfucker got an R-rated three hour black comedy about the financial crisis to nearly $400 million. He got The Revenant to nearly $550m. His lowest grossing movies (Revolutionary Road, J. Edgar) still roughly doubled their very small budgets.

Leonardo DiCaprio might be the only actor in Hollywood whom people turn out for because he's Leonardo DiCaprio.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think a lot of that is driven by the Tony Stark character. I mean, Iron man is definitely the mascot and core of the Marvel Cinematic Movies. His character exists somewhere with like Mickey Mouse. But outside of that, he hasn't really done many prestige roles.

And I think that's what makes the argument for Jennifer Lawrence pretty compelling. She has been a main pillar in two blockbuster franchises while simultaneously blowing people away with stuff like Winter's Bone and her David O. Russel work. And it doesn't hurt that she has a really distinct voice.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The test for Lawrence (and Pratt) is if they open Passengers huge or not. If it does open, they're stars in their own right - if it opens to middling money or even doesn't open at all, then they're more tied to franchises than bonafide stars.

I mean Joy barely crawled past $100 million on a $60m budget and was promoted hard as a counter to the second weekend of Star Wars, and the opening of Point Break and Daddy's Home (so basically a Christmas movie for adults) as well as being a reunion of Lawrence, Cooper, De Niro and Russell as a creative trio. The other non-franchise work post Silver Linings that Lawrence has put out is Serena, which I won't count against her since shooting it predates SLP and it was just shoved out randomly to cash in on that movie's success as well as the Hunger Games boom.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If they keep Lawrence around i hope they decide to redesign her character, Mystique looks like something that would get kicked off Face Off during the first episode. At least it seems like they make her character wear clothes now.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Fox might not 'need' the three big stars of the First Class reboot of films any time soon, though.

New Mutants could likely get away with none of them in it if the script dealt with a non-Charles era of the school. Wolverine 3 might not need any of them for more than cameo or flashbacks. The proposed Gambit movie could likely get away with zero interaction with the previously established X-Men characters and the Deadpool sequel could likely go the same way. X-Force, too, could likely be devoid of the Mystique/Xavier/Magneto characters. T

That's a good 4-6 year window of films Fox could do without the three before Fox might figure the time is right to put another true X-Men movie into production with those characters, and a potential new FF reboot in there too if they think they can finally find a formula for that that works.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 20, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Charles Xavier School recruitment video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kniQrk9jw0

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Now I'm going to be super disappointed when the movie isn't an 80s teen comedy set in mutant high school.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JediTalentAgent posted:

Fox might not 'need' the three big stars of the First Class reboot of films any time soon, though.

New Mutants could likely get away with none of them in it if the script dealt with a non-Charles era of the school. Wolverine 3 might not need any of them for more than cameo or flashbacks. The proposed Gambit movie could likely get away with zero interaction with the previously established X-Men characters and the Deadpool sequel could likely go the same way. X-Force, too, could likely be devoid of the Mystique/Xavier/Magneto characters. T

That's a good 4-6 year window of films Fox could do without the three before Fox might figure the time is right to put another true X-Men movie into production with those characters, and a potential new FF reboot in there too if they think they can finally find a formula for that that works.

Also, if they did decide to ditch McAvoy and Fassbender, Stewart and McKellen probably have another movie or two left in them. And they're also way more associated with the characters, even after First Class and DoFP, than the new actors.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.newsarama.com/29375-first-look-dc-universe-the-exhibit-at-warner-bros-studio-tour-hollywood.html

Some pictures from the DC Universe Exhibit at WB's studio Tour

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The lone comment at the bottom of this article is very :unsmith:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was under the impression that Scar Jo was the biggest female star right now. I'd put Jennifer Lawrence at number 2. This opinion is based on my own personal observation, I have not researched this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I was under the impression that Scar Jo was the biggest female star right now. I'd put Jennifer Lawrence at number 2. This opinion is based on my own personal observation, I have not researched this.

Apparently JLaw was the second highest paid actor in 2015 (a very distant second after RDJ) and ScarJo was 8th.

http://www.slashfilm.com/highest-paid-actresses-actors-of-2015/

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I'd contend that the entire conceit of "biggest star" means something different now than it did decades ago.

Tom Cruise or Will Smith were guys who could launch a film on nothing but the merits of their presence. I'd probably throw Arnold in there, too. But that was in the 90's. Studios have shifted from an emphasis on specific talent to an emphasis on specific characters, on specific intellectual property. The thing that sells movies now is the IP being adapted.

I mean, not that actors don't make names for themselves and pull in fans, but let's be honest: Harry Potter earned boatloads because those books are huge, not on the strength of its cast of otherwise-unknown children and British character actors. Likewise, Chris Evans wasn't exactly pulling in Cap money for Snowpiercer. And damned if Rogue One doesn't earn a metric dick-ton of money on the strength of Stephen Hawking's wife.

Robert Downey Jr., Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence...they're "big," but I don't think any star opens a film super big these days. It's the Marvel or Lucasfilm logo that does that.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Eh, as was just said, Leo certainly does. The Rock has a strong pull within a certain range. GitS wouldn't have gone into production without securing a lead as recognizable as ScarJo, same can be said for a number of other properties.

The balance has shifted more toward IP than headline talent, but paying for talent that will sell a film is still very much a thing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HIJK posted:

It's the classic case of audiences getting upset because the movie on the screen doesn't match the movie in their heads.

I don't love everything Snyder does but everything he does do is vibrantly different from whatever the current fashion is. He's completely willing to put what's in his head on the screen and he doesn't let anyone push him around. I really respect that.

To be fair, I'll bet pushing Snyder around is hard. He's so strong.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

ScarJo seems to have little interest in being a star. Aside from the big blockbusters, she does weird movies based on even weirder books, or small parts in mid sized movies. I actually like that she does stuff like that with the financial security being the MCU's one woman gets her.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

The MSJ posted:

I don't know why ppl always insist on going overboard with these filter effects...drives me crazy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Silver Linings Playbook didn't deserve an Oscar.

Lincoln, Life of Pi, Django Unchained, and Beasts of the Southern Wild were all nominated and are all better movies.

I have nothing against J-Law, but I have never seen her in a movie and been blown away by her performance. Even in good movies like DoFP and American Hustle, she is generally the weakest link.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The MSJ posted:

When I watched that I thought it was genuinely a commercial for the Generation X movie from the 90s.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Leo is a great answer to that, I hadn't thought of him. He picks his projects very well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Silver Linings Playbook didn't deserve an Oscar.

Lincoln, Life of Pi, Django Unchained, and Beasts of the Southern Wild were all nominated and are all better movies.

I have nothing against J-Law, but I have never seen her in a movie and been blown away by her performance. Even in good movies like DoFP and American Hustle, she is generally the weakest link.

Your personal evaluation of her acting talent is irrelevant to the discussion though. We're talking about her ability to continue to make huge money regardless of whether or not she's in a huge franchise movie. You may not like it, but as Mugatu would say, she' s extremely hot right now. Your opinion that Silver Linings Playbook was overrated doesn't change that, we're talking simple facts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Your personal evaluation of her acting talent is irrelevant to the discussion though. We're talking about her ability to continue to make huge money regardless of whether or not she's in a huge franchise movie. You may not like it, but as Mugatu would say, she's extremely so hot right now. Your opinion that Silver Linings Playbook was overrated doesn't change that, we're talking simple facts.

Mugatu would never use "extremely", that's so 90s.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Mugatu would never use "extremely", that's so 90s.

Ah poo poo, I was going to use extremely, and then I decided to use the Mugatu quote and forgot to delete extremely. Anyway, was Zoolander 2 any good?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Ah poo poo, I was going to use extremely, and then I decided to use the Mugatu quote and forgot to delete extremely. Anyway, was Zoolander 2 any good?

I just watched it the other day, not as bad as I was expecting but still pretty awful. Most of the funny stuff is in the trailers, or a re-hash of a joke from Zoolander 1.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Basebf555 posted:

Your personal evaluation of her acting talent is irrelevant to the discussion though. We're talking about her ability to continue to make huge money regardless of whether or not she's in a huge franchise movie. You may not like it, but as Mugatu would say, she' s extremely hot right now. Your opinion that Silver Linings Playbook was overrated doesn't change that, we're talking simple facts.

Yeah, I'm not denying that at all. Just saying I sympathize with the guy who said she was a mediocre actor and a couple people jumped on him saying, "But she has an Oscar nomination!"

She's not a terrible actor or anything. I just don't see anything great in her performances and think it is criminal that she got an Oscar before Leo and her movie beat out Life of Pi and Daniel Day Lewis.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, I'm not denying that at all. Just saying I sympathize with the guy who said she was a mediocre actor and a couple people jumped on him saying, "But she has an Oscar nomination!"

She's not a terrible actor or anything. I just don't see anything great in her performances and think it is criminal that she got an Oscar before Leo and her movie beat out Life of Pi and Daniel Day Lewis.

Speaking for myself only, what I was reacting to was the suggestion that she should sign a long term deal to be in more X-Men movies, because she's bound to be exposed as a mediocre actress soon and then her career will be in the shitter. That's just not going to happen.

Also just to be clear, she has 3 Oscar nominations aside from just the win for Silver Linings Playbook. People tend to forget about Winter's Bone.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 20, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Basebf555 posted:

Speaking for myself only, what I was reacting to was the suggestion that she should sign a long term deal to be in more X-Men movies, because she's bound to be exposed as a mediocre actress soon and then her career will be in the shitter. That's just not going to happen.

Agreed. Although, it will be interesting to see what her career looks like in 5 years after the Hunger Games hype has died down. She tends to do a lot of ensemble films and hasn't done much leading other than Silver Linings and Hunger Games.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

She was real good in Winter's Bone

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I hate that Serena was such a mess because the author's daughter is a good friend of mine and he's a really cool, humble dude. The book was excellent but trying to make characters who are (in the book) rapacious and somewhat insane capitalists sympathetic because of the Cooper-Lawrence factor was just :psyduck:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Joker's guns :allears:

EDIT:
Oh, and the final TMNT2 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx7vzM-LqDM

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 20, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress that looks so awesome - can't wait for TMNT. :D

Ron Perlman is on Facebook right now jonesing to play Cable. :3:

"Actually, now that i think about it, Cable should be wanting to loving play ME!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Out of everyone suggested so far, I can see Perlman bouncing off of Reynolds the best.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So uh... this is a thing:

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/733613698644738048

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wouldn't they all be toddlers or not born when this is happening?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress that looks so awesome - can't wait for TMNT. :D

Ron Perlman is on Facebook right now jonesing to play Cable. :3:

"Actually, now that i think about it, Cable should be wanting to loving play ME!"

Ron Perlman has always been the #1 pick for Cable in my mind and I'm honestly surprised that he hasn't been contacted for the role yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

JordanKai posted:

Ron Perlman has always been the #1 pick for Cable in my mind and I'm honestly surprised that he hasn't been contacted for the role yet.

They probably want to go younger. Instead of a guy who's actually in his 50's or 60's they'll hire a 35 year old male model type and just dye his hair gray.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ron Perlman in a role that requires a prosthetic on his arm?

Never work

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Ron Perlman in a role that requires a prosthetic on his arm?

Never work

Well, more to the point, he'd have to take enough HGH to knock Bruce Banner on his rear end to look right.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Ron Perlman in a role that requires prosthetic muscles?

Never work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Whoever they cast, I hope they never film his feet in frame.

• Locked thread