Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
How well does Arcana Evolved hold up? I remember thinking it was really neat, but never really had any play time with it, past making a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LeSquide posted:

How well does Arcana Evolved hold up? I remember thinking it was really neat, but never really had any play time with it, past making a character.
It is awesome in a lot of ways, but if you thought wizards were strong in 3.x, hoo boy, wait until Monte makes his dream wizard. Imagine a 3.x wizard, but with a 5e wizard's flexibility.

There are other balance issues, too, like how some other classes are worthless.

I ran a campaign for a few years. It fell apart big, and soured me on d20 as a whole.

I can't recommend it except as a collection of neat concepts that take D&D and give it a half twist.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

It is awesome in a lot of ways, but if you thought wizards were strong in 3.x, hoo boy, wait until Monte makes his dream wizard. Imagine a 3.x wizard, but with a 5e wizard's flexibility.

There are other balance issues, too, like how some other classes are worthless.

I ran a campaign for a few years. It fell apart big, and soured me on d20 as a whole.

I can't recommend it except as a collection of neat concepts that take D&D and give it a half twist.

Yeah, it's this. Arcana Evolved is Monte Cook as gently caress in that it gives spellcasters a whole host of truly ridiculous abilities on top of, y'know, having spells. Meanwhile the martial classes are basically snooze city, and also the Monk analogue is so terrible that even diehard AE fans won't try and pretend it's actually good. It's a game whose best parts are essentially the elevator pitches for things which are in turn dragged down by Monte being unable to move on from designing everything through the lens of D&D.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, it's this. Arcana Evolved is Monte Cook as gently caress in that it gives spellcasters a whole host of truly ridiculous abilities on top of, y'know, having spells. Meanwhile the martial classes are basically snooze city, and also the Monk analogue is so terrible that even diehard AE fans won't try and pretend it's actually good. It's a game whose best parts are essentially the elevator pitches for things which are in turn dragged down by Monte being unable to move on from designing everything through the lens of D&D.
Strangely, the part-casters like the Witch and Mageblade are also terrible. It's all about magisters and greenbonds.

I remembered liking ritual warriors at the time, too, but their special mojo abilities are bad situational poo poo, too.

It's sad because the ideas are awesome. I convinced myself it was great for a good long time because of that. That was until I took a long, hard look at the lengths I had to go to to challenge the party.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yep, in college I was part of an abortive attempt to get an Arcana Evolved campaign off the ground and one of my friends wanted to make a Witch, and while I wasn't as intimately familiar with the foibles of 3.X's system at the time as I am now even I could tell then that she was getting a bum deal compared to someone going full Magister.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I were to use Cook's books, I would go for Experimental Might as far as it implements a rudimentary healing surge system, tries to alleviate the healbot-ness of Clerics (/Druids/Paladins), restructures the spell system into a 1 to 20 schema so that you don't have this 1 to 9 range that isn't related to or intuitive against anything, and recognizes and attempts to fix some of the sharper edges of the d20 spell system like save-or-dies, pixel-perfect time tracking of buffs, and Wizard Lock/Knock.

But yeah nothing's ever going to wash out the fact that Cook really likes spellcasters and spellcasters in his games are always going to be really powerful, and the Martial Ritual mechanics of Arcana Evolved is nowhere near as daring as Tome of Battle.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

I never played it or read it, but Cartoon Action Hour(?) is all about 80s shows like He-Man.

I've read the first two editions and they're pretty strong (though it's the kind of build-a-power system that you can cheese if you try.) Worked on a supplement for the first but I don't know if it's still available.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Let's go deeper into how insane the Arcana Evolved is for just a moment.

In the run-up to Arcana Unearthed's release (this being the 3.0 version of these rules), Monte talked a good game about how well-balanced everything is, and how you could seamlessly use these classes with D&D. And how much better-balanced the spells and magic were, too!

So there might have been few/no save-or-die spells, but there are plenty of save-or-suck spells. Killing something outright is unnecessary when you can turn them into glass and then shatter them, or stunlock them, etc. Let's talk about why.

(1) Flexible spellcasting. You have X number of spells of every level prepared, and can cast Y spells of each level. Really dig your fireball sorcerous blast? Go ahead and spam it all you want. Failed to turn the baddie to glass the first time? Try again! Go ahead!

(2) Flexible spellcasting. Oh, you're out of spells of the level you want to cast? Why not trade 3 of a lower level slot for one? Or - better yet - trade in a higher-level slot for two castings of the level you want!

(3) Save DCs. You know how in 3.5, optimal spellcasting was a race to unbeatably high DCs? It's worse here. You have new ways to improve your Intelligence, and new ways to make your spells harder to save against. With the right feats, you can even pierce spell resistance and/or dispel magical protections! Oh, and if you take a certain feat, you can force your enemy to use their Intelligence modifier instead of Con/Dex/Wis to save vs. your spell!

(4) Feats? Yeah, feats. Was the basic spellcasting system not giving enough oomph to your wizard? Well, my friend, just take the right feats and you can cheaply add an unsaveable Stun rider onto your acid better-than-fireball spells!

So here's the skinny. Spells are sorted into 3 tiers. Simple spells are pretty bad. Complex spells are good. Exotic spells are really good. Magisters get all Complex spells, Greenbonds get mostly Simple spells but all the way to Exotic in druidish stuff, and other casters mostly get stuck with Simple spells. There's a number of feats which give a spellcaster access to (a) higher-tier spells with certain keywords, and (b) a template they can add onto other spells they cast. For a Magister, who already gets the Complex spells, these are a really good deal. So let's talk about Templates.

Acid - you can add this template to any spell that can inflict damage. If you're doing it against non-living stuff, you get to ignore its Hardness, which means you melt stuff real good. If you cast it against dudes, and the spell was already an Acid spell (like, say, the really good Acid super-fireball spell you get by taking the feat in the first place) you automatically stun your target 1 round for every 20 damage dealt. No save on that stun part.

Eldritch - You can add this spell to anything. Add +1 to the save DC, or +2 if you use 2 spell slots to cast it. You get this basically for free by taking a feat you almost have to take.

Electricity - Put it on a spell that does damage. Your target now needs to make a second save at the same DC or be stunned for a round. 2 if it's an Electric spell because of course.

Giant - Yes, there's racial descriptors. Go ahead and increase your AoE by 50%, why not?

Psionic - Just ignore those material, somatic, and verbal components, it's okay

Runic - See the thing about using the target's Int modifier? Yeah. Downside? It's a full-round action.

This is mixed in with really bad ones, because Monte knows about trap options.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

One worst thing about fantasy is that nerds can never accept a trained warrior capable of killing / incapacitating anyone with a single strike.

A thing that's literally happened for as long as humans have fought is somehow "less believable" than the mystical magical weird wizard show.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

moths posted:

One worst thing about fantasy is that nerds can never accept a trained warrior capable of killing / incapacitating anyone with a single strike.

A thing that's literally happened for as long as humans have fought is somehow "less believable" than the mystical magical weird wizard show.

It's funny because every single time I've started any type of martial arts aimed at actually killing your opponent, the instructors always tell you that it's not like the movies and your fight is likely to end in a couple seconds if that. There's a lot of emphasis placed on the opening move from the very beginning. Even sport fencing places a lot of emphasis on this move.

Meanwhile wizards have the time necessary to do the mental calculations and wizard-engineering needed to construct a carefully placed atomic bomb without killing their cohorts. :allears:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chill la Chill posted:

It's funny because every single time I've started any type of martial arts aimed at actually killing your opponent, the instructors always tell you that it's not like the movies and your fight is likely to end in a couple seconds if that. There's a lot of emphasis placed on the opening move from the very beginning. Even sport fencing places a lot of emphasis on this move.

Meanwhile wizards have the time necessary to do the mental calculations and wizard-engineering needed to construct a carefully placed atomic bomb without killing their cohorts. :allears:

And this is why GURPS has combat last in one second rounds and your average sword can totally at least incapacitate an average guy in one hit if used properly.

Which is funny, because unless your wizard is really good, in GURPS most fights will be over before they even get a spell off (since it usually takes between 2-4 seconds to actually make magic happen if you use the default spell rules)..

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LeSquide posted:

Friends don't let friends play Oathbound :colbert:

Yeah I ran two campaigns of it. Magisters and Greenbonds (the two 'Full Caster' classes) will wreck poo poo, but the fighter types (Unfettered, Warmain, Champion, Ritual Warrior, Totem Warrior) are all so much cooler than your typical 3-3.5 fighter.

On to dwarf74's comments.

Most of the classes have some kind of spell casting so pretty much all the characters will share in the spell system largesse. Magisters are the big dogs and they have access to some of the most ridiculous spells ever...

"Some lunatic with the last name of Cook' posted:

Invoked Apocalypse
Evocation
Level: 10 (Exotic)
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: One mile/level
Area: 100-foot-radius cylinder/level, 100 feet high per level
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

In this, one of the most feared of all spells, you cause all elements and energy types to rain down upon an area in a conflagration of destruction. All within this storm of devastation suffer 10d6 points of damage per round. Characters in the area must make a new Reflex saving throw each round. When this spell is done, buildings (even an entire small town) usually are destroyed, forests flattened, small lakes boiled away or filled with detritus, and all life extinguished.

Despite the long range, you still must have line of sight on the target, so one usually casts invoked apocalypse from
atop a mountain or a high tower.

This spell is horribly draining on the caster. Once it is cast, you fall immediately into a coma for 1d4 days. Even magic cannot prevent this coma, nor can it cure it. Casters who might arguably be immune to energy draining or comas (such as liches) are reduced to 1 hit point, and the lost hit points cannot be restored for 24 hours by any means. If you cast this spell more than once in a year’s time, the spell slays (or destroys) you.

Diminished Effects: N/A

Yeah... That spell takes a feat to cast though as it's an Exotic and doesn't have any template to feed off to reduce that feat tax.

Still in the game I was in, I enjoyed the hell out of my Quickling Warmain and never felt overshadowed or like I wasn't contributing. Especially when we went up against Harrid (magic eating Vulture-men).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think the "this is not like in the movies" comment kind of seals why armed combat has always been the weaker choice, because cinematic fights demand that they take FOREVER!

Playing the old PlayStation game Bushido Blade (for as fun as it can be) sort of brings home why close-combat is not usually depicted realistically, because it is like "oh...that was all? Huh." In fact from Googin' it appears Bushido Blade 2 may have toned down the instant-kill likelihood for that very reason.

Granted none of this explains why wizards are then always the badassiest badasses of all, given how the "low-power" magic is as common in D&D source material as the "world-destroying" kind.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I forgot to add that the max level is 25 in AE.

25 rounds of 10d6 damage (it doesn't state it in the spell block, but you get to choose the element or energy type of the damage) over a 4800m2 area, 760 meters tall.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've read the first two editions and they're pretty strong (though it's the kind of build-a-power system that you can cheese if you try.) Worked on a supplement for the first but I don't know if it's still available.

A third one came out a little while ago. Might have fixed the problems with the build-a-power system.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Gencon panel news has made Washington Post

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

dwarf74 posted:

AE Spellcasters

Fun fact: in 3.5 Quicken Spell requires a spell slot four levels above the level of the base spell. In AE, it takes two spell slots of the same level or a single slot one level higher, since you can do that trade whenever. In return, there's a 3/day limitation on how many quickened spells you can cast, but I'd still rather have the AE version. Meanwhile, Power Attack doesn't get a better multiplier when using a two-handed weapon.

Monte Cook buffed Quicken Spell and nerfed Power Attack. Suck it, fighterswarmains.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/KasimirUrbanski/status/730780490697998336

:allears:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Why is it so hard to find the bloody list of who is going to be at this thing? I want to see what they've done so I can rub it in the face of idiots who refer to them as "hacks".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

paradoxGentleman posted:

Why is it so hard to find the bloody list of who is going to be at this thing? I want to see what they've done so I can rub it in the face of idiots who refer to them as "hacks".

http://www.gencon.com/experience/industryinsiderfeaturedpresenters

That might redirect you to the main page. Go to the top menu bar, under "Experience", then expand the "Industry Insider Program" menu item, then click on "Industry Insider Featured Presenters"

Emily Care Boss
Brian Cortijo
Katherine Cross
Crystal Frasier
Amanda Hamon Kunz
Kenneth Hite
Kathryn Hymes
Renee Knipe
Anna Kreider
Christopher Lawrence
Ryan Miller
Joshua Morris
Harrison Pink
Brian Poel
Marie Poole
Jessica Price
Donna Prior
Alex Roberts
Wes Schneider
Hakan Seyalioglu
Zachary Strebeck
Elisa Teague
Mark Truman
Monica Valentinelli
Eddy Webb

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

It's poo poo like this that really makes me hate the world.

People are seriously bent out of shape in 2016 that women, which make up half the world's population, make up half the number of speakers at Gencon?

Simple math would suggest that would be the case every year.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

"Well if they're supposed to be so diverse, then why isn't there a single OSR designer on there?" is also an incredible talking point that's been taken up.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Well if they're supposed to be so diverse, then why isn't there a single OSR designer on there?" is also an incredible talking point that's been taken up.

Isn't "OSR designer" a bit of an oxymoron since it's all about copy-pasting forty-year-old rulesets?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://www.gencon.com/experience/industryinsiderfeaturedpresenters

That might redirect you to the main page. Go to the top menu bar, under "Experience", then expand the "Industry Insider Program" menu item, then click on "Industry Insider Featured Presenters"

I apologize for my incompetence.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I like how as morbid curiosity/poop-touching waned on his home turf, Pundit seems to have steadily expanded his use of social media to more directly poo poo the floor. What a coincidence!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fuego Fish posted:

Isn't "OSR designer" a bit of an oxymoron since it's all about copy-pasting forty-year-old rulesets?

Yes, I agree with you.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Nah, don't be, that website is not intuitive like, at all.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

paradoxGentleman posted:

Nah, it's just a really unclear web page.

(e: f, b)

Fuego Fish posted:

To be fair to the OSR it follows Sturgeon's Law in about equal proportions to everything else under the sun.

The real problem with the OSR is they've become a welcoming home for awful people, which is increasingly making their presence at any given event a net negative. Like, do you want to increase the chance that Pundit will show up to your con?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

potatocubed posted:

To be fair to the OSR it follows Sturgeon's Law in about equal proportions to everything else under the sun.

The real problem with the OSR is they've become a welcoming home for awful people, which is increasingly making their presence at any given event a net negative. Like, do you want to increase the chance that Pundit will show up to your con?

All you'd have to do is put up a "No Smoking" sign and he'd stay away, though.

(Also thanks to this thread I've had my best week of sustained sales to date, thank you for reading my books :3:)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Because Paizo does "pressing Ctrl+C on a copy of the Player's Handbook" better.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Women can't understand the elegance and comedic nuance of Lamentations of the Flame Princess. :colbert:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I am outraged that Led Zeppelin tribute bands aren't represented at this composers symposium, and also at my increasingly apparent irrelevance.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

jivjov posted:

It's poo poo like this that really makes me hate the world.
The vitriol is increasing because society is getting better in this respect. The scum are losing, and they're desperate.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I will never for the life of me understand why Tarnowski and the others like him dedicates themselves so much to hate. Not even specifically against women or storygames or whatever, but just hatred in general.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I will never for the life of me understand why Tarnowski and the others like him dedicates themselves so much to hate. Not even specifically against women or storygames or whatever, but just hatred in general.

Easier to hate then to self examine

EDIT: Though it doesn't call his name out, that article also all but directly quotes Mearls and his conversation, so well done there.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

potatocubed posted:

This would require that 1) he'd ever get invited to anything, and 2) he'd actually leave the relative safety and obscurity of Uruguay.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Because people like him have nothing but hate. They don't have any real talent or skills to make them a big success like other designers, so they wrap themselves in hate and controversy to make a name for themselves and be recognized in some manner.

Without his vitriol, Tarnowski has nothing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

EDIT: Though it doesn't call his name out, that article also all but directly quotes Mearls and his conversation, so well done there.
I wonder if Mearls still thinks Pundit is "hilarious" or not.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Fuego Fish posted:

All you'd have to do is put up a "No Smoking" sign and he'd stay away, though.

(Also thanks to this thread I've had my best week of sustained sales to date, thank you for reading my books :3:)

I would have bought it earlier if I'd known it was released dammit! Seriously, I loved it and my 11 year old niece thinks her Uncle Humbug is awesome for giving her a copy. She loves it too[ (This is the same niece I gave a copy of Golden Sky Stories to)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dire Wombat posted:

Fun fact: in 3.5 Quicken Spell requires a spell slot four levels above the level of the base spell. In AE, it takes two spell slots of the same level or a single slot one level higher, since you can do that trade whenever. In return, there's a 3/day limitation on how many quickened spells you can cast, but I'd still rather have the AE version. Meanwhile, Power Attack doesn't get a better multiplier when using a two-handed weapon.

Monte Cook buffed Quicken Spell and nerfed Power Attack. Suck it, fighterswarmains.
Yep. Also, even more importantly, you get to decide to quicken your spell when you cast it instead of when you prepare it. It's a major power-up.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I would have bought it earlier if I'd known it was released dammit! Seriously, I loved it and my 11 year old niece thinks her Uncle Humbug is awesome for giving her a copy. She loves it too[ (This is the same niece I gave a copy of Golden Sky Stories to)

Oh no, my heart :ohdear:

Tell me which one she loves and I'll prioritize the sequel for her :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

dwarf74 posted:

Yep. Also, even more importantly, you get to decide to quicken your spell when you cast it instead of when you prepare it. It's a major power-up.

Yeah. There are ways to do this in 3.5 as well, but it generally requires a higher price (dual-classing, heavy feat investment, etc.).

• Locked thread