Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have experience with Siam Air? They seem to be the only low cost operating where I actually need (HKG->BKK) but they don't have online booking and don't seem to speak much English on the phone either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

mobby_6kl posted:

Does anyone have experience with Siam Air? They seem to be the only low cost operating where I actually need (HKG->BKK) but they don't have online booking and don't seem to speak much English on the phone either.

FWIW Thai Airways has a HKG-BKK route

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

mobby_6kl posted:

Does skyscanner come up with anything (other than TG)?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I booked a flight with LOT -- hundreds of dollars cheaper than any other option -- and now I'm reading reviews about it on Yelp and most of the reviewers are unbelievable babies.

http://en.yelp.ch/biz/lot-polish-airlines-chicago?start=20

Like half of these one star reviews are "flight attendants did not smile at me, and alcohol on the flight is not free, food is not gourmet. ONE STAR WORST AIRLINE EVER."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"Did not receive blowjob from hot female flight attendant, only the plain, older flight attendant. ONE STAR!!!"

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

"Did not receive blowjob from hot female flight attendant, only the plain, older flight attendant. ONE STAR!!!"

That's just like what one of the commentators who gave 3/5* said.

Some idiot posted:

The cost was cheaper than competitors for a flight between Chicago and London (thanks to a brief stop in Warsaw). And while I will say that it was a delight to finally ride a Dreamliner across the Atlantic (the takeoff was one of the smoothest experiences I've ever had), the big let down for me was the attitude of the flight attendants. They weren't all bad, but enough of them were to leave a sour taste in the mouth.

For some reason LOT also have a stupid policy that headphones aren't allowed to be used during departure and takeoff

Snacks and drinks were frequent, and the meals were pretty tasty.

If you want to save a bit of money it's probably worth it

Maybe this guy is from an alternate universe where 2.5* out of 5* means "average service". I can only imagine what the "sour taste in his mouth" was.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Who the gently caress thinks flying all the way to Warsaw for a layover is sane? You'd need to be saving me an incredible amount of money to take that big of a detour.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Who the gently caress thinks flying all the way to Warsaw for a layover is sane? You'd need to be saving me an incredible amount of money to take that big of a detour.

I'm flying from Zurich to Chicago by way of Warsaw, and for me it's $450 per ticket cheaper than the direct flight and $350 cheaper than the next cheapest single transfer flight that takes less travel time than going through Warsaw (through Copenhagen or Amsterdam). I'd guess they got something similar from London and it's a similar-distance complete detour in the wrong direction.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Whip Slagcheek posted:

$50p is not an insignificant amount of money - easily enough for a return transatlantic flight on a good day. So if flying from Europe, it's not a big deal. Not all airports get direct flights to the US anyway.

Mackieman posted:

Does skyscanner come up with anything (other than TG)?

Nope, it's Siam, Thai Oriental, then HK express which looks like a normal airline but is already too expensive in the needed timeframe. Not really TOO expensive but starts to defeat the purpose vs just going there from home later for just a bit more.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

mobby_6kl posted:

$50p is not an insignificant amount of money - easily enough for a return transatlantic flight on a good day. So if flying from Europe, it's not a big deal. Not all airports get direct flights to the US anyway.

I'm guessing you finger scrubbed the extra 0. $500 probably gets me divert to Poland for a flight.

The flight described was from Chicago so that meant flying past LHR into Eastern Europe, with an assumed layover that's a solid 6-7 hours of time lost at your destination.

Edit: no it didn't, just said flight between Chicago and London. Eh.
-

Oh god I just looked up Siam Air. I remember seeing that livery at Don Mueang. Hands down winner for ugliest plane I've ever seen. :laugh:

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 20, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I tend to think of it as a simple cost-benefit. If its $500 that you save and it takes you an extra, let's say 8 hours - that's still more money saved per hour than I earn per hour.

You have to be realistic about what your time is worth to you. If those 8 hours saved are worth spending $500 to you? Great. $62/hour is over twice what I was making last week as a low-level college graduate.

So yeah. I treat it as napping for $62/hour.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also, once you're actually on an overseas flight, does an extra hour even make a difference? The difference between a one hour flight and a two hour flight is large. The difference between a 9 hour flight and a 10 hour flight is nothing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I'm guessing you finger scrubbed the extra 0. $500 probably gets me divert to Poland for a flight.

The flight described was from Chicago so that meant flying past LHR into Eastern Europe, with an assumed layover that's a solid 6-7 hours of time lost at your destination.

Edit: no it didn't, just said flight between Chicago and London. Eh.
-

Oh god I just looked up Siam Air. I remember seeing that livery at Don Mueang. Hands down winner for ugliest plane I've ever seen. :laugh:

Yes, the new keyboard on my phone has slightly different key spacings which causes a ton of typos. 500$ is nowhere near what I make in a day, in fact I'm happy if I can save that much over a month. Things could be different at over 100k/year or so. And even then you can think of it as earning 500 while reading a book for a couple of hours.

Sim Air is pretty ugly, yeah. Eventually they replied to my email (4 days later) that their tickets can be booked on ctrips.com and some other Chinese sites I've never heard of. In any case, when available its not much cheaper than AirAsia and its too late for me to go there anyway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Even $50 could conceivably get me to take an inefficient connection, all other things being equal. Once you're on an overseas flight, an extra hour doesn't really make a difference. The comfort of the airlines in question, ease of connection and such all make a bigger difference to me. That $50 could mean that you can just grab a sedan to your hotel instead of loving around with buses or metros, which has more utility than saving some flight time.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mackieman posted:

How long do you want to be in LA?
I never want to see it again.

Haha, I want to go to England from L.A.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice
I'm looking for flights from AMS to BWI or IAD in September, planning on going to the Baltimore Ravens home opener on Sep, 11 and taking 5 or 6 nights before or after that for sightseeing in DC.

Best I can find is AMS-CPH-IAD with a 4hr layover in CPH for €523 on SAS.

Should I wait or is this as low as it's going to be? Anyone have any experience with SAS?

I also see AMS-DUB-IAD on Aer Lingus for €100 more, and I believe DUB has US preclearance. Is it worth €100 to arrive as a domestic passenger instead of an international passenger in IAD?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

skooma512 posted:

I never want to see it again.

Haha, I want to go to England from L.A.

Well...poo poo. Same question. :)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

E_Motion posted:

I'm looking for flights from AMS to BWI or IAD in September, planning on going to the Baltimore Ravens home opener on Sep, 11 and taking 5 or 6 nights before or after that for sightseeing in DC.

Best I can find is AMS-CPH-IAD with a 4hr layover in CPH for €523 on SAS.

Should I wait or is this as low as it's going to be? Anyone have any experience with SAS?

I also see AMS-DUB-IAD on Aer Lingus for €100 more, and I believe DUB has US preclearance. Is it worth €100 to arrive as a domestic passenger instead of an international passenger in IAD?

IAD immigration is only a shitshow at the midfield concourse which SAS doesn't use, so you should be fine. That's a decent fare to get to the US.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Update on JetBlue -> Turkish, JGB->BOS->JFK->IST:

Just had like 4 drinks in LGB, and it looks like my bags are good to be taken care of all the way to Istanbul, they have the proper carrier agreements in place. Hopefully international checking won't be too bad at JFK.

In other news: if you have the option to fly out of Long Beach instead of LAX: do it. This was great.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah LGB and SNA are both way more preferable than ever going out of LAX. gently caress LAX.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have 0 issues with lax. Precheck is good and fast. New TBIT is nice. Airside connecter to it is good. Airside 4-5-6 connector is good. Eagles nest gates being out of 6 is more efficient. Uber access is good to and from. No weather delays and a ton of airline and route options.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
When the zombie apocalypse happens, it will begin in the LAX domestic terminal.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

HookShot posted:

When the zombie apocalypse happens, it will begin in the LAX domestic terminal.

This guy gets it

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Anyone have any tips on seating for southwest? We got early bird checkin so we should be in group A or the first part of B. Should my wife and I grab an aisle and a window and hope no one wants to be the sandwich meat? Or maybe two aisles? Or try to find someone small in a window seat to sit next to?

Do people have better luck with their desperate plans in the middle of the plane, or maybe in the back?

I'm sure whatever plan I set will fall apart after an hour in the airport bar but I figure I should try anyway.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Anyone have any tips on seating for southwest? We got early bird checkin so we should be in group A or the first part of B. Should my wife and I grab an aisle and a window and hope no one wants to be the sandwich meat? Or maybe two aisles? Or try to find someone small in a window seat to sit next to?

Do people have better luck with their desperate plans in the middle of the plane, or maybe in the back?

I'm sure whatever plan I set will fall apart after an hour in the airport bar but I figure I should try anyway.

Bulkhead (row 1) or exit rows are most preferable, then it's aisle or window if you're a fascist. If you're traveling with two, always take the window and the aisle; if the plane is not full, you have the best shot of having an empty middle. Location on the plane is of little concern for that strategy. I personally like being toward the front if only to facilitate getting off the plane faster.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

I need flight assistance!

Going from: Seattle, WA (SEA)
Going to: Austin, TX (AUS)
Dates: Any time that sandwiches July 17, as we'll be going for a wedding that day. Ideally, I would like to have at least a day or two, since I have family there that I would like to see, and I would like to not have to leave at, say, 6am on the 18th when I will very likely be very hungover.

The cheapest I've found so far is $300 each, which isn't terrible, but it also isn't great? If anyone wants to work their magic, it would be greatly appreciated.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice

Mackieman posted:

IAD immigration is only a shitshow at the midfield concourse which SAS doesn't use, so you should be fine. That's a decent fare to get to the US.

I see I never thanked you for the advice, so a late thank you from me! I pulled the trigger on the €523 fare and i'm going to Washington!

Especially since I was checking again since a friend might want to join me and the fare for the exact same flight somehow is now €700. Air fare algorithms are weird.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

I need flight assistance!

Going from: Seattle, WA (SEA)
Going to: Austin, TX (AUS)
Dates: Any time that sandwiches July 17, as we'll be going for a wedding that day. Ideally, I would like to have at least a day or two, since I have family there that I would like to see, and I would like to not have to leave at, say, 6am on the 18th when I will very likely be very hungover.

The cheapest I've found so far is $300 each, which isn't terrible, but it also isn't great? If anyone wants to work their magic, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best your going to do around that time is $274 on Delta with a plane change in LAX whilst Alaska is a non-stop for $23 more, so book that. $300 is an exceedingly reasonable fare for that route.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

E_Motion posted:

I see I never thanked you for the advice, so a late thank you from me! I pulled the trigger on the €523 fare and i'm going to Washington!

:hfive:

E_Motion posted:

Air fare algorithms are weird.

Don't I know it.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

$250 dollars to fly nonstop coast to coast. What a time to be alive.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
So airfare is pretty expensive in the summertime.
I'd looked at visiting Moscow in January and tickets were about $400.
Now they're closer to $1000

Where should I go where it wouldn't be hot and wouldn't cost more than $700 bucks.

Toronto would be cheap and I've never been.

I live in NYC.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Where should I go where it wouldn't be hot and wouldn't cost more than $700 bucks.

I live in NYC.

Keep your eyes on: http://www.secretflying.com/

Basically none of the super good deals are valid in July and August though. Traveling in September will be far cheaper and less hot. Also Moscow can get incredibly hot in the summer although it'd require a bit of bad luck to go there the 1-2 weeks a year when it gets above 85.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The Kayak Explore feature is always pretty good for random vacation ideas. Find something in your ballpark or close to and then head over to Google Flights and see if you find a cheaper flight.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Avian Pneumonia posted:

So airfare is pretty expensive in the summertime.
I'd looked at visiting Moscow in January and tickets were about $400.
Now they're closer to $1000

I live in NYC.

Yeah, that's how it works. I just spent 1700 to get to London. To be fair I booked 2 weeks before and premium economy was somehow cheaper than economy. And I'll tell you what, the weather the last week made it worth it. (ok easier to say when I am not paying)

What do you want to do? I'm fine being hot if there's a beach or pool nearby, making Mexico or the Caribbean an option?

Iceland air has to be less than 700 to there...

sellouts fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 10, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Have you been to Montreal? I'd definitely recommend it over Toronto.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You'd have to spend more money on the Russian visa, anyway.

I went to Mexico City in July and the altitude kept the temperature pleasant (it even hailed!)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

peanut posted:

You'd have to spend more money on the Russian visa, anyway.

I went to Mexico City in July and the altitude kept the temperature pleasant (it even hailed!)

Mexico City is tits.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Hey Mackie or anyone: I'm playing with Google Flights to get a Euro trip booked for the fall. AF is showing fantastic round trip prices but when I click through its jacked up by several hundred dollars. What gives, is Google pulling down old pricing data? It's bizarre because I'm seeing a similar pattern across multiple destinations and also search engines (Kayak, Priceline) but only AF.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Hey Mackie or anyone: I'm playing with Google Flights to get a Euro trip booked for the fall. AF is showing fantastic round trip prices but when I click through its jacked up by several hundred dollars. What gives, is Google pulling down old pricing data? It's bizarre because I'm seeing a similar pattern across multiple destinations and also search engines (Kayak, Priceline) but only AF.

Yeah, probably. If AF has adjusted their pricing but the GDS push hasn't happened, that can cause what you're seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Oh well, the trip isn't for several months so hopefully we'll see those prices come around. They've been pretty volatile the last few weeks with spikes and valleys over the course of hours.