Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

223.6 from Munoz while all alone on the track, 2nd quick on the no-tow. Penske/Ganassi have clearly not shown a single one of their cards, but it is interesting both how low the speeds are and how Honda dominated they have been. Speeds are about 2mph off of last year, but I'm probably jumping the gun as we will likely see more no-tow stuff this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

gret posted:

They make it sound like they had the funding ready, and there was an article I read about how Chevy/Honda were ready to throw in free engines. I guess I don't know whether any of that was true.

If any of it were true, they would have got one of Dale's cars or the Stefan Wilson ride. There were vehicles, and no-one did a deal with them,

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dudley posted:

If any of it were true, they would have got one of Dale's cars or the Stefan Wilson ride. There were vehicles, and no-one did a deal with them,

I guess maybe it was just Chevy who offered them free engines. If that were the case, they had to find a Chevy team to work with them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

RLL's got some work to do.

https://twitter.com/RLLracing/status/733021112104144896

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looks like Penske started emptying some sandbags, Power to P3 with a 227.7. Still no Chevrolets in the top 6 on no-tow laps, though.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/129658-indy-500-an-end-to-spec-racing-in-2017

quote:

In a conversation with RACER on Tuesday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IndyCar President of Competition Jay Frye revealed the series has started to evaluate its spec Dallara DW12 chassis for areas that could be opened up for teams to control.

"One of the things we're trying to do for 2017 is deregulate some things a little bit," Frye said. "Because we have regulated so many things for so long, you want ingenuity."

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like we've got our first engine expiration. Honda in Aleshin's car seems to have gone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Aleshin popped an engine, Josef now has the fastest no-tow at 224.5.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/129658-indy-500-an-end-to-spec-racing-in-2017

quote:

The era of spec Indy cars could be coming to an end. In a conversation with RACER on Tuesday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IndyCar President of Competition Jay Frye revealed the series has started to evaluate its spec Dallara DW12 chassis for areas that could be opened up for teams to control.

"One of the things we're trying to do for 2017 is deregulate some things a little bit," Frye said. "Because we have regulated so many things for so long, you want ingenuity."
Frye and his competition department staff have asked IndyCar teams to provide feedback on specific parts and regions that could be converted from spec to free for development.

frye jay"We went up to the teams and said, give us a list," Frye (right) continued. "We said, 'If you could build your own stuff, give us a list of what you would build.' It's the power of the paddock, asking them, 'What can we do?' We have our ideas. We've got ideas from them and all of the groups."

IndyCar is looking at 2017 as the first year to unshackle its cars, with additional changes following in future years.

"Maybe again we could do this much in 2017, and in 2018, it could be this much [more]," Frye added. "Incremental. And I think if we do it smartly it will save money."

Daddy likes.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I like that so much I was tempted to link it again. Must not get hopes up!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

wicka posted:

it's just dumb to announce yourself as the first all-female team and apparently not be aware of what it's going to look like if you fail to make the race. keep your plans under wraps until you've got a car.
Racing.txt

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Lord Crapulus posted:

I like that so much I was tempted to link it again. Must not get hopes up!

I'm so used to having my hopes raised and subsequently crushed that I don't even bother attempting to try to keep my hopes down. Just go with the flow~~~

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Frye was on trackside last night and kept hinting about the possibility of a 3rd OEM, what it would take, etc

He was vague about it, but it sounded like someone's interested and that may have been the terms.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

3rd OEM for engines? Why would an engine manufacturer care about who builds the brakes, suspension arms, etc? Honda and Chevy are pretty firm on limiting their investment on the engine side, and they are the ones running the engine rules concerning the limiting of development and engine mileage, not IndyCar.

3rd engine builder isn't gonna happen, although axing aerokits would make it more possible. It still wont happen.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like what Frye has to say, but I don't see anyone else entering at this stage. Wasn't drawing in outside manufacturers (like General Dynamics) the original goal of the Aerokits?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Was there ever a writeup as to why the Lotus-Judds were so awful? Aside from money, of course.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I like what Frye has to say, but I don't see anyone else entering at this stage. Wasn't drawing in outside manufacturers (like General Dynamics) the original goal of the Aerokits?

not really feasible unless someone enters an engine without an accompanying aerokit

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

Was there ever a writeup as to why the Lotus-Judds were so awful? Aside from money, of course.

Money. They weren't THAT far off at the first race, about a second off the pole with really mediocre teams and ahead of like 5-6 Hondas and Chevys, but if I remember reading right, they never got a single dollar of development money after the first race. Judd put some of his own money in to release an updated spec later in the year, but never got paid by Lotus for it. By Indy, all the teams had also realized they weren't going to get the money Lotus promised them, and petitioned the series to get out of their engine deals.

There was plenty to work with there if someone had the cash to back Judd again, but nobody came along. By now, it's probably not worth much.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i had competely forgotten about the Lotus era of 'put our badge on everything and never pay anyone'

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To this day I don't see why Indycar thought it was a better idea to have two cars start and park instead of just letting them boost the Lotus until it blew up.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Transition year #11

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Pagenaud running with one low drag sidepod on the right and one winglet on the left. :stonk:

Looks like our first taste of qual sims.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So maybe Hondas are just that fast.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think most people are saving qual sims for the boost increase on Friday, just because the torque curve and everything impacts the aero and damper setup, but there is def some playing going on with the aero with Penske. Helio has been out with 3 different sets of aero devices on the car so far, but looks to mostly be working in traffic.

That and Penske is currently 1-2 on the no tow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gret posted:

So maybe Hondas are just that fast.

The Bowties seem to be finding something, though; the only no-tows over 225 right now are Power and JPM.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Qual sim on the 98, 4 laps at 224.5

e: the 41 has consistently been one of the slowest cars every day. They really seem to be struggling.

e2: qual sim on the 8 with the low drag sidepods, 224.583 but he had his handsfull

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 19, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nother honda bites the dust. RHR go boom.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Rossi's new paint scheme looks like it was heavily cribbed from the early 90's Canon/Camel Williams F1. Airbox/engine cover is white, main body color is blue, white on the wings.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wonder if they're trying out parts from Townsend's car on it?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bentai posted:

Rossi's new paint scheme looks like it was heavily cribbed from the early 90's Canon/Camel Williams F1. Airbox/engine cover is white, main body color is blue, white on the wings.

Its the inverse of the yellow and blue on Marco's scheme, the white were just unwrapped parts. Rumor is that it will be Sunoco sponsorship, but i'm personally pulling for Hellmans/Best Foods cause Rossi is a bit of a mayo boy.

https://twitter.com/FollowAndretti/status/733386087733821441

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Aww. I'd have kept the white parts.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Hellmans is garbage and I can't cheer for anyone supporting it

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

go3 posted:

Hellmans is garbage and I can't cheer for anyone supporting it

Best Foods is alright though

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/AaronBearden93/status/733679450324361217

:ms:

It's NAPA! Wow!

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So there's no mayo sponsored car after all? Way to alienate the primarily Midwestern fan base.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

George Zimmer posted:

So there's no mayo sponsored car after all? Way to alienate the primarily Midwestern fan base.

do you think Rossi even knows what Napa is? he strikes me as the type of dude who would never sully himself with work of that type

dude looks like hes afraid to even be there. someone tell him Napa is an elite form of european cheese or something, that should get him interested again

Cygni fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 20, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

229.8 no tow from Townsend
:eyepop:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

229.8 no tow from Townsend
:eyepop:

I wish they'd run this boost all month.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cygni posted:

do you think Rossi even knows what Napa is? he strikes me as the type of dude who would never sully himself with work of that type

He loves going to Napa for a romantic weekend of wine tasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was going to say Chevy must not be at much of a disadvantage since JPM did a 229.7 no-tow, but Townsend just did a 231.

• Locked thread