Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DreadLlama posted:

I like how he knew to double up the studs to support the window but right next to it there's just a notched out 2x4 under the absent ridge beam.

There's the four white boards that are obviously sawed off, but then there's the stud above the window, partially covered by insulation. Is it just me or is that cut off too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Who thought that was a good spot?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Shifty Pony posted:

Reminds me of driving with kids, reaching backwards behind you while still facing ahead feeling on the floor for some toy they dropped out of their carseat

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Dat hex/square tile mix doe

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

Hey, it's like my upstairs bathroom! The terrible proximity to toilet part, not the terrible proximity to splashes/shower spray part.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Shifty Pony posted:

Why is there a random power plug at the base of the toilet?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bidet plug.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Crust First posted:

Shower toaster

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

OSU_Matthew posted:

Shower toaster

:golfclap:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Crust First posted:

For the turbine in the toilet drain. Sure, it sounds like a great idea, chopping up the solid waste, but wait until the poo poo really hits the fan.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kizudarake posted:

For the turbine in the toilet drain. Sure, it sounds like a great idea, chopping up the solid waste, but wait until the poo poo really hits the fan.

:golfclap:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

kizudarake posted:

Crappy Construction indeed.

These are a real thing though: http://www.vogelsangusa.com/products/solids-reduction/xripper/muffinmonster-replacement/overview/

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
"Muffin Monster".

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ7GihJOJ7M

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

kizudarake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug1gAS9-Mn0

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Wow I think most people don't appreciate the engineering involved in waste management, that is kind of a marvel.

But why not have it draw from one of the ponds for water to keep it clear instead of needing a person to clear it? Seems inefficient.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Really disappointed these didn't lead to some toilet garbage disposal contraption I could send to people who insist on flushing tampons.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Incinerator toilets for all.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
All turds should be immediately exposed to a stream of superheated acetylene plasma upon rectal crowning. The remaining carbon should be crushed into artificial diamonds, loaded into a rocket, and shot into space.

Not efficient but I think we can all agree that if man's gift to the universe is spaceships filled with poop gems, that's better than fading quietly into the night.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

High Lord Elbow posted:

All turds should be immediately exposed to a stream of superheated acetylene plasma upon rectal crowning. The remaining carbon should be crushed into artificial diamonds, loaded into a rocket, and shot into space.

Not efficient but I think we can all agree that if man's gift to the universe is spaceships filled with poop gems, that's better than fading quietly into the night.

:eyepop:

Well this is art.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Pretty sure they also have those at prisons because inmates would try to flush sheets and pillows in an attempt to flood the cells.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Crotch Fruit posted:

Pretty sure they also have those at prisons because inmates would try to flush sheets and pillows in an attempt to flood the cells.

Aww man I came here to say that. Also even just at your county or city jail as they want to flush anything to make a clog. Best I heard was a guy who clogged it with jumpsuit and covered his whole body is shampoo to become slippery. The shampoo on the water flooding the cell kept the tear gas or mace or whatever in the air and the 5 deputies sent in to get the guy did so in tears.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just watching that made me want to take a shower.

When I was in middle school we got to visit my home town's water treatment plant and they had a similar machine. The smell in those buildings is indescribable, even through a carbon filter face mask.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Whats the deal with new construction going up with an entire side of the house having no windows, or one or two tiny windows seeming placed a random on a large blank wall?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

May Contain Nuts posted:

Whats the deal with new construction going up with an entire side of the house having no windows, or one or two tiny windows seeming placed a random on a large blank wall?

Sound proofing if it's facing a road. Or murder rooms.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

May Contain Nuts posted:

It's so they can cram as many houses right next to each other as possible, but still give the impression to buyers that they can't reach out and touch their neighbors house. You don't want a bunch of windows staring right into your neighbor's windows.

One of my co-workers bought into such a development and it gives me claustrophobia every I'm over there

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Toll Brothers is like an ungodly huge machine that just crawls across the earth making GBS threads out piles of horrible houses. I blame them for these windowless-sided boxes.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

[[[

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Fun fact on no windows: I once asked a Jehovah's Witness why their meetinghouses don't have windows. He told me there's no theological reason, but just two practical ones. First and foremost, it's because many of their buildings were built entirely by volunteers of varying skill levels from the local congregation, and windows are just one more thing for a novice to screw up.
The second is that it decreases the vandalism targets.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

May Contain Nuts posted:

I unwittingly moved into an apartment complex like this and I hate it. It's nearly impossible to get any actual goddamned sunlight in here.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

May Contain Nuts posted:

It provides shear strength in modern homes designed with largely open floor plans.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

StormDrain posted:

It provides shear strength in modern homes designed with largely open floor plans.

I always assumed it was 100% for compact development privacy, never considered this.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
It also makes them more energy efficient as walls are much better than windows at keeping heat in/out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You know what would make them even more compact, structurally sound, and energy efficient?

Share a wall with the neighbours.

But we can’t have that. Only poors live that way.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

You know what would make them even more compact, structurally sound, and energy efficient?

drat straight, the neighbors house has to be at least 3-5 feet away

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you were building houses to sell you'd get more money building single family homes. I own a townhouse and I'm lucky that my loud neighbors moved out. There's real value in not sharing walls and having an air gap.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chemmy posted:

If you were building houses to sell you'd get more money building single family homes. I own a townhouse and I'm lucky that my loud neighbors moved out. There's real value in not sharing walls and having an air gap.

Wait, firewalls between units in townhouses isn't a thing? Huh, I'd just assumed it would be not just for restricting the speed of combustion but for the acoustic dampening as well.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

I am a rich and I live in a townhouse with a shared wall. No regrets.

flosofl posted:

Wait, firewalls between units in townhouses isn't a thing? Huh, I'd just assumed it would be not just for restricting the speed of combustion but for the acoustic dampening as well.
My shared wall does reasonably well at blocking noise but it isn't perfect. Also I'm not sure what's going on in the attic - for all I know we all share the same attic, more or less. Like in The Magician's Nephew.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chemmy posted:

You’re not wrong, but when the air gap has shrunk to the point there are no windows on that side of the house and the side yard is useless for anything other than storing rubbish bins, I’m not willing to pay so much for that privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If you can hear inside the neighbor's house, the neighbor's house is too close.