Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Seems legit. I don't know why I cared this morning since building a CSP car for nationals is soooooooo dumb.

If you want more high end HP (think 7.5k+), the square top is the way to go. The VICS produces more mid range by a few points. Never use the VTCS if you can swing it.

What's your time table for buying parts and stuff? I'm parking my NA this year and I'm looking at doing a lot of suspension upgrades, but probably won't start until July. I could even help with installation. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I'm with you on the CSP nationals being dumb, huge money onto a cheap car you'll never get it back out of. I just really enjoyed driving my buddies CSP car and I figure mine would be a buck of fun with 50% more power, good suspension, and a bucket of rubber. That and try to keep it some what SCCA so I could run it if I wanted to.

I haven't figured that out yet. The WRX has been eating parts for rallycross recently. M3 is reliable but needs to cut back on its tire habit. But the Miata I wasn't thinking of starting till maybe the end of the year. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row with planning right now.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 11, 2016

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
For CSP anything on the intake side is fair game. ITBS/custom intake manifolds/etc.

I agree that it's idiotic for the money, but it is rather amusing that a good CSP car can squeeze nearly 170 disneyjet whp out of what is more or less a stock block with boltons (nevermind the 0.040 over piston allowance).

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
May is a drat fine month for driving a Miata in the Carolinas :c00l:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Idk, it's been kinda poo poo lately. It looks good for Saturday, though.

Also, commence the :qq:ing: I scraped the front lip today. :( (it's fine, I don't mind that much)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Phone posted:

Idk, it's been kinda poo poo lately. It looks good for Saturday, though.

Also, commence the :qq:ing: I scraped the front lip today. :( (it's fine, I don't mind that much)

Still haven't seen it in person yet. (My fault)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Nocheez posted:

May is a drat fine month for driving a Miata in the Carolinas :c00l:

It's been an excellent week in New England as well. After the last 2 weeks basically being rain-fest.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Trying to install a Momo wheel with a Momo hub, jesus what a pain in the dick.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Still rainy in Northern Virginia, but I got an oil change in earlier this week and a wash/claybar in today. Sucks I'm going to be busy for next weekend's autocross so I'm trying to make up for it now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

Trying to install a Momo wheel with a Momo hub, jesus what a pain in the dick.

motherfucker, i TOLD you

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I got it cheap as hell so oh well i guess. Not like everything else hasn't been a pain in the dick with this car lately so at least things are consistent.

Also I made the hole drilling easier by completely chopping off the air bag wires :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Finally got in.

Aaaaand the horn doesn't work :shepicide:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Also
https://fat.gfycat.com/LawfulTinyGreendarnerdragonfly.webm

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Rhyno posted:

Miata thread help me, I feel the urge to style hair after driving the car. Is this natural?

Yea i'm 6'1 with floppy curly hair so i kind of look like a homeless person/drug addict whenever i drive the miata with the roof removed. I do my best to fix it with my hands and call it OK. Carrying around a brush and a little spray bottle would be a little gay, but yes it is natural.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqAszOc7EHw

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Yea i'm 6'1 with floppy curly hair so i kind of look like a homeless person/drug addict whenever i drive the miata with the roof removed. I do my best to fix it with my hands and call it OK. Carrying around a brush and a little spray bottle would be a little gay, but yes it is natural.

Dude, wear a hat.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

oh the humanity

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Am I right in assuming this was pretty much all 76s fault?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Going to see this car today after work. I've been looking for a 1.8 NA w/ an LSD for quite a while.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5591501706.html

He says there is a little rust on one rocker panel but that's it. Should I worry much about a respray hiding more? Also, how much trouble is it to replace the passenger airbag and/or AC? Thanks goons!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you want a/c don't even bother with that car, keep looking for one with a/c.

Unless you have a lot of experience working on cars, installing an entire a/c system is no easy task and if you pay someone to do the work it's going to cost more than it's worth when you could just find a car with a/c.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

leica posted:

If you want a/c don't even bother with that car, keep looking for one with a/c.

Unless you have a lot of experience working on cars, installing an entire a/c system is no easy task and if you pay someone to do the work it's going to cost more than it's worth when you could just find a car with a/c.
OK. Good to know. A/c is not that important. What about the passenger airbag? Any general comments on if the car's a good buy?

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Seems like that car has started down the path to fun weekend/ autocross mobile. If you want airbags I would get an unmolested car.
But I also have a 90 with that oh so smooth dash.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm guessing he probably just removed it and installed a plate. Ask him about adding it back in?

Looks like a decent track day car.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Great Beer posted:

If you look in the mirror of the camera car you can see a red car that jumped the restart, he bumps 76 into 34.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I have some kind of rattle noise in my MX-5 (NA 1.8). It sounds like some metal bit vibrating around 3500-4000rpm when I'm off the throttle, and everything about it seems to me like something in the exhaust. My guess was a loose heat shield. It didn't exist a year ago but has appeared since then and gotten worse over time, and now it is pretty annoying. I assumed it would be a heat shield or something, but last week when I did the yearly safety inspection thing (basically the only time it's ever up on a lift), I was poking and wiggling and yanking all the heat shields and the exhaust system itself. Nothing seemed loose or broken, and the exhaust wasn't hitting anything else.

Should I suspect something broken internally inside muffler / cat, or something else altogether? Or is there somewhere things can rub that I can't detect when rocking things about by hand?

(car passed the safety / emissions tests without a hitch, though I found some small issues I want to fix anyway)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Great Beer posted:

Seemed like 13 bumped him twice before he moved right.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

FatCow posted:

If you look in the mirror of the camera car you can see a red car that jumped the restart, he bumps 76 into 34.

Wow, didnt even notice that. I thought he lost his composure after being bumped and over corrected when he got close to the blue and white car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ionn posted:

I have some kind of rattle noise in my MX-5 (NA 1.8). It sounds like some metal bit vibrating around 3500-4000rpm when I'm off the throttle, and everything about it seems to me like something in the exhaust. My guess was a loose heat shield. It didn't exist a year ago but has appeared since then and gotten worse over time, and now it is pretty annoying. I assumed it would be a heat shield or something, but last week when I did the yearly safety inspection thing (basically the only time it's ever up on a lift), I was poking and wiggling and yanking all the heat shields and the exhaust system itself. Nothing seemed loose or broken, and the exhaust wasn't hitting anything else.

Should I suspect something broken internally inside muffler / cat, or something else altogether? Or is there somewhere things can rub that I can't detect when rocking things about by hand?

(car passed the safety / emissions tests without a hitch, though I found some small issues I want to fix anyway)

Does it sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1fj2OIvU-4

Cat went on me yesterday, took video today. Already ordered a race pipe from Racing Beat.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

I don't think it sounds quite like that, but I haven't listened to other than when driving. It makes no noise when accellerating or revving up, it usually happens when I'm shifting and as revs are dropping down through the high 3000's. I guess I'll have to jack it up and have a good listen underneath.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Is there a commonly available paper air filter that fits the Jackson Racing CAI? I went to clean the foam JR one and it was literally falling apart so I need a new one ($30) unless I can just get a paper replacement that fits, which according to the internets are just as good or possible better.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

:ohdear: in the last 3 days my brake fluid has gone from just below max to just above min. No change in braking ability and I don't seem to be leaving puddles of brake fluid around so it must be a small leak. This is going to be expensive, I just know it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Put the car on jackstands, inspect all 4 corners, and look for something wet that isn't supposed to be wet.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Most parts that would cause a brake fluid leak (hoses, lines/fittings, caliper seals) are pretty cheap, it depends mostly on if you're doing the fix yourself or not. Calipers seals are possibly the trickiest to fix, but it's not too hard/expensive to find a spare caliper.
Also check the master cylinder, it has seals that can leak. That's not something you would normally fix, but replace. Only really expensive thing would be if there's a broken ABS unit or something.

My -97 NA has a separate canister for the clutch, but many cars (including other Mazdas, not sure about other Miatas) have the same one for clutch and brake, and a leaky clutch would also make the level drop. It's just set up so the clutch gets its fluid "higher up" so you lose clutch before brakes in case of leak. Same thing there, check for leaks around clutch master cylinder, the line + hose going down to the gearbox, and under the gearbox. Unless you have a separate canister for clutch fluid in which case the clutch can be ruled out.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Phone posted:

Put the car on jackstands, inspect all 4 corners, and look for something wet that isn't supposed to be wet.

Nothing on the car was wet but I did manage to find it. A tiny drop of fluid showed up in my driveway after a few brake cycles. The rubber hose on that corner looks ok so maybe the fitting is a little loose.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to go get the California legal limit for tint across all windows (so my black leather seats stop getting so hot, mostly), and drop the car a few inches. Any recommendations for specific places in the south/east bay to do this, or general advice for who to go to? I don't want any stupid bubbles/peeling.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
So the AC in my car is having problems, and it was 90 today, so I may actually die if I don't fix it. AC worked fine until late last year when someone else was driving and lightly kissed a guardrail at speed. Now if I turn on the AC, it makes a squealing sound and the RPMs immediately drop to 0 and stall out the car.

Any ideas? I glanced under the hood and there's nothing glaring, but I have to park on city streets so it's a huge hassle to actually deeply inspect the car. I'd much rather not pay an arm and a leg to fix what can't be an overly complex problem, though.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sounds like your compressor is hosed.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Great Beer posted:

Sounds like your compressor is hosed.

Ditto.
Sounds seized.
Buy a Compressor from a friendly Miata club member/Junkyard/Junkie nearby.

What year? Any idea if it was converted from R12 if its a super old car?

For the NA/NB:

Drop the belts.
Evacuate the refrigerant ( Find a shop to do this )
4 Bolts to hold the compressor to the block. Think its two banjo bolts to hold the lines on the compressor.
A new dryer
New compressor goes on
Put in new magic coldmaking gas.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 28, 2016

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blinky2099 posted:

drop the car a few inches.

Are you okay with spending a few thousand for a not really well refined package? The ND is too new for people to have really gotten favorite settings dialed in into mass produced kits. I'd wait for a year or so for people to shake out the good from the bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

craig588 posted:

Are you okay with spending a few thousand for a not really well refined package? The ND is too new for people to have really gotten favorite settings dialed in into mass produced kits. I'd wait for a year or so for people to shake out the good from the bad.
Not at all. Thanks for the heads up; I'll hold off for now.