Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Looks like someone CG'd over a bunch of dudes LARPing in the woods.

It looks A BIT better. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The orcs look good and have real weight but Lothar still sticks out like a sore thumb with his knockoff Paul Rudd vibe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Batham posted:

Good gravy.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Batham posted:

Bald guy lookin like some clown with a DeviantArt full of images where he headswaps himself into action movies

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tender Bender posted:

The orcs look good and have real weight but Lothar still sticks out like a sore thumb with his knockoff Paul Rudd vibe.

Jesus, yes. That keeps bothering me.

The thing that stands out for me from that short clip is how calm the camera is. It makes the action easy to follow, but it also doesn't feel very tense despite people getting killed all over the place. As if it's a training exercise.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Tender Bender posted:

I was going to say "How the hell can you confuse Travis Fimmel with Paul Rudd" but goddamn, now it's all I can see, too.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Batham posted:

I love the guy with the hammer. My vague knowledge of the Warcraft bestiary tells me that there is almost nothing on Warcraft world that will be stopped by that tiny hammer, but the guy thought it looked metal so gently caress it, hammer time!

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Jenny Angel posted:

Bald guy lookin like some clown with a DeviantArt full of images where he headswaps himself into action movies

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
There's 2h hammers that small in WoW! (and one handed ones that are pretty drat tiny)

(And if that hammer head was made of steel it'd probably weigh about 50kg)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

This is a little clip and it actually looks.... decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1KAZcf2cNA

Humour and action mixed up.

Sounds like Fimmel kept his accent from Vikings.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

This is a little clip and it actually looks.... decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1KAZcf2cNA

Humour and action mixed up.

Yea this paired with the other short clips shown so far made the movie look a little better in my eyes.

Those small comedic moments can go a long way in a movie thats being marketed as big grim serious fantasy movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

davidspackage posted:

The thing that stands out for me from that short clip is how calm the camera is. It makes the action easy to follow, but it also doesn't feel very tense despite people getting killed all over the place. As if it's a training exercise.

That long panning shot was pretty bad but other than that I thought it worked well. It feels like a training exercise more because the guy literally gives the kid advise in battle.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I also found the tone of that scene extremely jarring. We've just seen somebody getting their head viscerally crushed with a war hammer and then moments later that knight is giving the kid advice on how to fight better. Given the amount of violence the situation seems hopeless and I'd think that the characters would be a lot more upset and focused on surviving rather than pausing to deliver advice on fighting technique.

Having really visceral violence but letting the characters behave as though the fight has low stakes makes for a very confusing an awkward tone.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

They're just RTS units you can make more later

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

People talking themselves into watching a really bad movie after seeing one of its really bad action sequences ITT

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
My friend went to a free screening at Universal yesterday and said it was terrible. He didn't offer up much more than that. Though this friend also tends to not like most things so take that with a grain of salt.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I won't see it in theatres but I do wanna see the train wreck it most likely will be.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm glad my friend is going to start working at a theater just in time for me to not have to pay to see this garbage.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kelp Plankton posted:

They're just RTS units you can make more later

They need more lumber.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

davidspackage posted:

They need more lumber.

Footmen have never cost lumber!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
He falls to the ground, the life fading from his eyes as blood spurts from his chest.

"Off...I go then..."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

LEEEEEROY JEN-

*impales himself on a wall of spears, gets head smashed in for good measure*

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Helsing posted:

I also found the tone of that scene extremely jarring. We've just seen somebody getting their head viscerally crushed with a war hammer and then moments later that knight is giving the kid advice on how to fight better. Given the amount of violence the situation seems hopeless and I'd think that the characters would be a lot more upset and focused on surviving rather than pausing to deliver advice on fighting technique.

Having really visceral violence but letting the characters behave as though the fight has low stakes makes for a very confusing an awkward tone.

Have you watched a super hero movie lately? Or even the new Civil war movie? They were smack talking and laughing all throughout their giant battle against each other. It's kind of par for the course these days to help ease the tension of whats currently going on.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The weird bit is that they are clearly losing and their comrades are actively dying around them. Their is a tonal disconnected there that isn't in say the Avengers when they're walking over tons of mooks.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Terrible Opinions posted:

The weird bit is that they are clearly losing and their comrades are actively dying around them. Their is a tonal disconnected there that isn't in say the Avengers when they're walking over tons of mooks.

If it's different from avengers it might be good!

I've noticed movies the last few years, especially ones aimed at younger people, to be full of stuff like that, so you never dwell on any negativity, there's always a sarcastic quip or random joke. I doubt it's good for mental stability to raise kids like that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

THE BAR posted:

Footmen have never cost lumber!

Sorry, I meant vespene gas.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Even if you decide to write off gameplay mechanics as only gameplay mechanics and not 'real', the amount of ways to raise from the dead in the world of warcraft is pretty huge and being dead is only a minor issue for lots of people.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Even if you decide to write off gameplay mechanics as only gameplay mechanics and not 'real', the amount of ways to raise from the dead in the world of warcraft is pretty huge and being dead is only a minor issue for lots of people.

This explains the existence of both the undead civilisation and the Scarlet Crusade.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

Have you watched a super hero movie lately? Or even the new Civil war movie? They were smack talking and laughing all throughout their giant battle against each other. It's kind of par for the course these days to help ease the tension of whats currently going on.

I'm not a huge fan of those movies for the most part but at least the one's I've seen have a more consistent tone. Tony Stark makes quips, but that kind of makes sense because outside of a few very rare occasions the movie never really tries to make you feel as though his life is in jeopardy. The Avengers might occasionally try to save the world and there is some cartoony violence but I can't think of any time during the Marvel movies where somebody got their head brutally crushed by a giant war hammer moments before Tony Stark made a light hearted quip.

Having said all that, anything that makes this movie seem like more of a train wreck increases the likelihood I'll eventually pirate it and get drunk watching it with some friends.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Yeah, that was bothering me a bit, too. The humans get wrecked there and I'm pretty sure most are dead withing 20 seconds of that clip. What good are those words of advice going to do, that kid is surrounded by enemies and all his friends are dead.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I wonder how many careers this is going to kill

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
That was the most lifeless action sequence I've seen in ages. :psyduck:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Wheeee posted:

I wonder how many goons are going to over analyze the poo poo out of an action/fantasy movie treating it like A beautiful mind or the matrix with poo poo like this.

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, that was bothering me a bit, too. The humans get wrecked there and I'm pretty sure most are dead withing 20 seconds of that clip. What good are those words of advice going to do, that kid is surrounded by enemies and all his friends are dead.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Commenting on tone and pacing of an action sequence in a film hardly seems like "over analysis", and I hope you're being ironic when you cite "A Beautiful Mind" and "The Matrix" as examples of smart films that warrant deep analysis.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheeee posted:

Not even Dracula: Untold or Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter could kill Cooper's career, Fimmel is safe considered Vikings is a pretty popular show, Patton didn't really have that much of a career to begin with.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

Not even Dracula: Untold or Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter could kill Cooper's career, Fimmel is safe considered Vikings is a pretty popular show, Patton didn't really have that much of a career to begin with.

AL:VH is a masterpiece.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I was surprised how good Dracula: Untold was until the end fight kinda goes wonky.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

effectual posted:

AL:VH is a masterpiece.

It's not even mediocre.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I think people are underestimating this film. If the marketing is effective and the film isn't bogged down by convoluted lore, it has the potential to be a successful family-friendly fantasy with bright colors and clearly defined good and evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Toady posted:

I think people are underestimating this film. If the marketing is effective and the film isn't bogged down by convoluted lore, it has the potential to be a successful family-friendly fantasy with bright colors and clearly defined good and evil.

Do people even like clearly defined good and evil anymore? Is that even a trope in anything popular anymore? Even in kid's media?

• Locked thread