Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Hellsau posted:

The 183 used to be my favorite tier 10 because it was stunningly difficult to get it into the right position and get the right hits, but if you splattered the first dude in a push, suddenly your team is on cleanup duty and you're free to head elsewhere. It was high risk high reward. Now it's just brutally sluggish and the HESH pen is just too low to do anything except end the games of tier 8s and 9s (or broadside J100s at 530 meters, as I found out) but gently caress it land helper still helps people out of matches. High risk, low reward, and most of the reward is just seeing 80%-100% of an enemy's HP disappear.

no but seriously why isn't there a tier 10 Tortoise yet? Don't even give it better DPM, 400 damage with 6 second reload, maybe just slim the profile and speed up the Tortoise. Done.

That's the JTiger and it sometimes gets to shoot t7s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

BadLlama posted:

The A-44 is not an enjoyable tank.

You're not an enjoyable tank.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Prime/Exia/DockDoom - for tonight's tournament fights, we've got 1 mediocre opponent, 2 reasonable opponents, and 4 technicals. Good times.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Refried Noodle posted:

You're not an enjoyable tank.

Same.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I saw, and it was beautiful. Strongholds are the most fun I've had in this game since I came back. Probably since I played companies back in 2012.

There was also the round where Deviant suicide-rammed a T150 to death in his Cromwell to end the game. I'm not sure if that was even what he was planning, but it was funny.

How is the SU-100Y? I got a free day's rental of it last night and it looks like it should be fun. Bad armor, but 440 damage per shell (510 if you want to throw money away) seems like a lot of fun. You could two-shot anything at T6. It doesn't get pref, does it?

We didn't do very well but poo poo, it was still fun and there were some awesome moments like Blaargh's acrobatics. With the T150 I think I just shot at full speed...... didn't kill him.... then just closed my eyes and kept on going. It was like a courageous Thelma and Louise ending. Running straight into a 50 ton tank might not have been the best idea.... but it paid off. Naturally my 28 ton tank was destroyed in the process.

Worth it.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 18, 2016

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

As a lovely pubbie tomato I find this thread to be very informative.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I saw, and it was beautiful. Strongholds are the most fun I've had in this game since I came back. Probably since I played companies back in 2012.

There was also the round where Deviant suicide-rammed a T150 to death in his Cromwell to end the game. I'm not sure if that was even what he was planning, but it was funny.

How is the SU-100Y? I got a free day's rental of it last night and it looks like it should be fun. Bad armor, but 440 damage per shell (510 if you want to throw money away) seems like a lot of fun. You could two-shot anything at T6. It doesn't get pref, does it?

The SU-100Y is kinda fun, if you get top tier in you can can really hurt people with that gun. The armor and size of the tank are a worry though, its hard to remain hidden and people can more or less point in your general direction and pen. No pref matchmaking though, and tier 8s do terrible things to it since it can't reliably pen them.

On the other hand, loading a HE shell in it and one-shotting poorly armored tanks is really hilarious. An average roll from HE is enough to one-shot a Hellcat, which is really hilarious.

BadLlama posted:

No it is not. That tank was so miserable I didn't even enjoy the Obj 416.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The O-Ho is OP as they come https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC0Bw-ksaAQ

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So, is the Dog in the Rudy a free 6th sense? Do I not need to train it on my commander anymore?

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
A-44 was a p good tank.

Michaellaneous posted:

So, is the Dog in the Rudy a free 6th sense? Do I not need to train it on my commander anymore?

No it just replaces the sixth sense sound if you have it trained.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

primelaw posted:

A-44 was a p good tank.

No it just replaces the sixth sense sound if you have it trained.

Oh I see. That is kinda neat.
Well, crew comes with free BIA, right?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

lmao

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

RandomPauI posted:

Ditto, only I'm more generally more competent as a benchwarmer.

Forgot to reply. Whoops. Hit me up in game, we can figure out what low stakes fights throw our hats in for for some practice. I know your schedule can change suddenly, but we can find some prime bench warmer games and brow beat some goons into joining.

Hey goons, join my poo poo when I do it or I will find you and admonish you sternly while you chug your vodka and not care.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You did a solid job calling given the years of rust you're shaking off. I'm looking forward to more Pansy adventures intermittent or no.

There were a bunch of delightful goon antics. I really loved when the round that got finished out with that Oh-Ho ram kill. I forget which one of us was running it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQts7E1FvrE

Now if you'll excuse me I need to figure out how to customize my radial chat spam menus.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
These forum mods are providing me with endless amusement.

I've previously learned that "idiot" is a bannable word, while fag, gay, gaylord, douchebag, shitburger, and knobgobbler are not.

I've previously learned that mentioning that you have received a forum warning is actually disputing moderator action.

Today, I learned that parody is naming and shaming:

Context

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

So this basically confirms that Wargaming is developing an Addams Family game.

e: btw tournament people, our group has one team below 70% wins. We also have a short group, so we'll only have 6 matches (with our bye being the last match). Gonna be terrible.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 19, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Why on earth would you even read the official forums for this terrible game.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Captain Blaargh posted:

Forgot to reply. Whoops. Hit me up in game, we can figure out what low stakes fights throw our hats in for for some practice. I know your schedule can change suddenly, but we can find some prime bench warmer games and brow beat some goons into joining.

Hey goons, join my poo poo when I do it or I will find you and admonish you sternly while you chug your vodka and not care.

You did a solid job calling given the years of rust you're shaking off. I'm looking forward to more Pansy adventures intermittent or no.

There were a bunch of delightful goon antics. I really loved when the round that got finished out with that Oh-Ho ram kill. I forget which one of us was running it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQts7E1FvrE

Now if you'll excuse me I need to figure out how to customize my radial chat spam menus.

Wait, there's tournament action to be had and joined? Link it so that a certain president I know and hold dearly may alleviate his post-semester boredom with esports efforts.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Eh.... it's not really a tournament type thing. You just get like 7-10 guys or so and fight matches to get points for your "Stronghold" where you upgrade buildings and get perks that your clan leader can activate.

It's fun though and the consequences of losing are basically nothing, which takes the sperg rage out of it.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

These forum mods are providing me with endless amusement.

I've previously learned that "idiot" is a bannable word, while fag, gay, gaylord, douchebag, shitburger, and knobgobbler are not.

I've previously learned that mentioning that you have received a forum warning is actually disputing moderator action.

Context

I could give a poo poo about wargaming modding naughty words that the pc culture as of late won't tolerate because feelings. I'm more concerned about legit criticisms regarding their game development. If you are triggered by bad words please kill yourself.

Also I'm currently on the a-44 and it does indeed suck poo poo.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
so with a new reticle mod i started using http://wotreplays.com/site/2702733#westfield-turmoilx-t34 i like the t34 now (best game in it so far i just had) was a seal club fest though but hey it was enjoyable

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wait, it took a reticle mod for you to like the T34?

I have 845 games in it, it's my most played tank, and it is my #1 go to for credits. I always play a few games in it to recover/make credits each time I play. I have very little trouble penning anything besides the obvious, and I almost NEVER use gold rounds. I don't remember the last time I have since it doesn't make sense for me if I'm trying to make credits.

The T34 is awesome.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Eh.... it's not really a tournament type thing. You just get like 7-10 guys or so and fight matches to get points for your "Stronghold" where you upgrade buildings and get perks that your clan leader can activate.

It's fun though and the consequences of losing are basically nothing, which takes the sperg rage out of it.

Well, we can include those too, but I meant seeing what ones of these we have bored goons interested in: http://worldoftanks.com/en/tournaments/

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Captain Blaargh posted:

Well, we can include those too, but I meant seeing what ones of these we have bored goons interested in: http://worldoftanks.com/en/tournaments/

There's another 1v1 tournament up for Tier 6 TDs. Hope you got a Hellcat.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Opinions on Patton KR?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Michaellaneous posted:

Opinions on Patton KR?

I like mine. 183 silver pen is serviceable, mobile enough, the turret is bouncy but not as much as the Pershing, and it makes good credits. Much more forgiving than the CDC, which took me a long time to get comfortable with.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Nope, gonna die violently and on fire in my SU-100! :suicide:

And still get gold from technical victories while I read some more Conrad like last time.

If only it had been tier 7 so I could take advantage of the fiendish German goblin that is the E 25.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Captain Blaargh posted:

Nope, gonna die violently and on fire in my SU-100! :suicide:

And still get gold from technical victories while I read some more Conrad like last time.

If only it had been tier 7 so I could take advantage of the fiendish German goblin that is the E 25.

If you're going to bring the SU-100 make sure to use the 122 mm and bring some HE because there's a chance you'll one-shot a Hellcat with HE. I'm considering bringing the Achilles for this reason.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ramsus posted:

I could give a poo poo about wargaming modding naughty words that the pc culture as of late won't tolerate because feelings. I'm more concerned about legit criticisms regarding their game development. If you are triggered by bad words please kill yourself.

:yikes:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So I played two rounds in the Tortoise, and holy gently caress it bounces nothing.... :saddowns:

glassbottle posted:

Are there any active platoons around? I started playing again recently. I only have t5 mediums though :(
I am looking for people to do random battles with.

There are plenty of active goons. Get in the in-game goons channel, let us know your IGN.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, it must have been someone else who mentioned having 20m credits. Maybe Atomizer?

I have a shitton of credits from paying attention to my shell usage and specifically not spamming gold when unnecessary.

JuffoWup posted:

The US version of the rng show isn't out yet, but here is the russian one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9HRpQ_NiPw

Highlights include a lot of physics mayhem. This includes an elc doing a barrel roll right on front of a td and popping a shot off while upside down. The other one looks more like a montage specifically targeting hellsau (the final video segment actually) as an enemy e-25 gets flipped over and then left to sit there. They then go though other things like an e-25 getting pushed sideways into an alleyway so it can't turn and get out, an e-25 laid up sideways against a rock. You know, hellsau type skills.

Holy poo poo, this was amazing. :allears: Loved the E-25 montage at the end. What does it say about the E-25 in Russian at the end?

Steelion posted:

It looks like it's just a toggle (like battle assistant) that changes your firing angle to high angle, probably by doing some range calculations and feeding the game the new elevation angle. The arty isn't doing anything not already in the game, it's just usually the game doesn't let you manually aim up to that extent, and the default aim system always does low angle firing. Arty with less elevation need an assist from the terrain.

In theory, high arc firing is balanced by even longer flight times, so hitting moving targets is right out, and the accuracy would be substantially worse since the shell is flying farther. In practice, the flight time matters less if the enemy is stationary, as they tend to be while hiding behind arty cover, and I dunno if the game is coded to incorporate the actual distance the shell flies, or just says "this target is X meters from your tank, that's the range."

E: also I guess your AP pen would probably be worse as well, but you would just loving dunk on roof armor, so who cares.

Yeah, I counted and in that video the T92 shell took like 6-7 seconds to hit. :stare: It's devastating when it does hit but it's even more of a dice roll with the mod. This probably makes the mod balanced and actually discourage camping (because you can't hide, and moving makes it highly likely the shell will miss.)

BadLlama posted:

You have a penchant for understatement.

Ramsus posted:

Skipping [part of] the A-44 was one of the best uses of free XP that I've made. :colbert:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Gun is great, mobility is surprisingly good, and the frontal armor actually has weird enough angles to bounce some stuff.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Hellcat is a poor choice due to the low HP count and poor traverse on turret and hull. You'll also be facing a bunch of SU-100Ys that will load HE and snapshot you and oneshot you half the time. The Hellcat's turning rate being just so drat slow really punishes it and makes it about as effective on Mittengard as a turretless TD.

Obviously the best choice is the Churchill Hun Carrier.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Holy poo poo, this was amazing. :allears: Loved the E-25 montage at the end. What does it say about the E-25 in Russian at the end?

Here is the english version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrUnWA3Rzso

As for what is says about the e-25, the translated one here is "don't bully the e-25".

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

BadLlama posted:

Why on earth would you even read the official forums for this terrible game.

Because it's better than doing my terrible job.

Honestly I don't even know what pleasure I get out of it at all. It's really loathsome. Maybe at this point I'm just trying to push buttons and get banned from that terrible place.

I mean, I still have fun playing the game and I think recent changes are positive, and I'm cautiously hopeful about the much-hallybooed upcoming global rebalance and matchmaker 2.0 (in whatever form it will take) and whatever else, but the forums there are just a trainwreck I cannot tear my eyes away from. It does, I admit, allow me to be snarky and generally antisocial in ways that I cannot be while doing my actual job, but that's still not legit.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Ramsus posted:

OK so tell us about your micro-penis

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Captain Blaargh posted:

Ahhhhhhh, those little tourney things. I had no idea there were even 1v1s. That's nuts. We might have to look into these.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

The Hellcat is a poor choice due to the low HP count and poor traverse on turret and hull. You'll also be facing a bunch of SU-100Ys that will load HE and snapshot you and oneshot you half the time. The Hellcat's turning rate being just so drat slow really punishes it and makes it about as effective on Mittengard as a turretless TD.

Obviously the best choice is the Churchill Hun Carrier.

The combination of hull and turret traverse gives it the second best traverse of all the tier 6 TDs and lets you gently caress up anyone you get alongside who doesn't have a turret, but its low HP and armour do make it vulnerable to HE. The Achilles would probably be better overall due to its faster traverse and higher HP, but the AT 8 might also be viable as long as you bring binocs and engage from as far away as possible. I'm terrified of someone getting beside me and not being able to do anything about it.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
what about the jackson? Slower, but a bit more armored than the hellcat while still giving you a turret and that lovely 90mm gun.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

what about the jackson? Slower, but a bit more armored than the hellcat while still giving you a turret and that lovely 90mm gun.

It doesn't have enough HP, the reload on the 90 mm is kind of garbage (still better than the Hellcat), and you don't really need the pen when you know that all you're going up against is tier 6 TDs (except for the AT 8). I'd rather have the Achilles.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

yay :smith:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

The combination of hull and turret traverse gives it the second best traverse of all the tier 6 TDs and lets you gently caress up anyone you get alongside who doesn't have a turret, but its low HP and armour do make it vulnerable to HE. The Achilles would probably be better overall due to its faster traverse and higher HP, but the AT 8 might also be viable as long as you bring binocs and engage from as far away as possible. I'm terrified of someone getting beside me and not being able to do anything about it.

You can't bring the AT-8, unfortunately, because the enemy can always choose to draw by running away and you have nothing you can do about it. If there was a tiebreaker mechanic, the AT-8 would rock by hull-lefting the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/05/20/strv-m42-57-alt-a-2-video-and-pictures/

:sweden:

It's a retarded looking T 25 that trades everything for 15mm more pen and the ability to dump 450 damage in 4 seconds.

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 20, 2016