Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There was a leak of an English trademark registered under Xseed's name a while ago for Extella.

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/fateextella-domain-registered-xseed-games

And there being a leak this early since it was only like a week after the JP version release makes it very possible that statement about it being closer to JP release than most of their other games, of course this is just conjecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Everything I've seen of Extella suggests it's going to be Musou Variant #9438443 which may or may not be a good thing because they have always been pretty hit or miss

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It's probably going to be a miss, but I'm going to buy it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Baal posted:

You know what's not fun?

EDF

Yeah "fun" might not be a powerful enough word I for EDF I guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Megalixir posted:

Everything I've seen of Extella suggests it's going to be Musou Variant #9438443 which may or may not be a good thing because they have always been pretty hit or miss

Every game like that not made by Koei or Capcom is a miss

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought Ninety-Nine Nights 2 ama

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Not sure if this was posted but theres' a new Caligula gameplay video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAbZYvJEEpw

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We only have screens of the game, but I'm not expecting it to light the world on fire. If I have as much fun with it as I did Estival Versus which is to say less than Koei and Capcom's but more than most, I'll be satisfied.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

Sakurazuka posted:

I bought Ninety-Nine Nights 2 ama

Was it fun

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Megalixir posted:

oh that is disappointing, I have two musous in my library and that is nearly genre overkill already

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No, they made the same mistake everyone does and made the 'one million troobs' actually dangerous instead of musou gauge fodder so every stage was like being paper cut to death.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
But you had more than ONE MILLION TROOPS

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Cake Attack posted:

call me crazy but i think there's a very good chance xseed didn't actually just email some random on 4chan their e3 plans

Oh. I didn't read the post leading up to that.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Flash Sale is up, it's $5 and under games. Saw Terraria, P3P, Freedom Wars and Killzone Mercenary and some other things but it's about as impressive as you'd expect $5 and under games to be.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Oh hey, apparently I am entitled to another version of Don't Starve on Vita. I guess I will get it for some unspecified time in the future :geno:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Txn posted:

Not sure if this was posted but theres' a new Caligula gameplay video
I want to like Caligula, but i don't understand why they upload a 60 fps video. I downloaded the video and it's not like it is locked to a specific framerate. Just stepping through various parts of it the game runs somewhere between 15 and 25 fps, depending on what's on screen. I don't need 60 fps for an rpg, but dipping that low is nauseating.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah "fun" might not be a powerful enough word I for EDF I guess.

How about EDF EDF EDF?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

furyu really struggles with the making games thing

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
How simialar is Cold Steel to persona in terms of gameplay?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's turn based

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

SweetBro posted:

Have some gameplay from very early on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--B_MXAC5AM

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SweetBro posted:

Kind of similar. There are lots of familiar elements like elemental weaknesses, analyzing monsters, combo attacks, getting advantage by starting combats from behind, etc. Instead of mythological pokemons, your team gets most of their special abilities from magic rocks that you plug into their cell phones. Every party member is as versatile in that regard as the main character, although they all have different strengths, weaknesses, and unique abilities of their own.

Status effects are a lot stronger than in Persona, and you can see at a glance how well they'll work on any given enemy.

Positioning is more important in Cold Steel too. Most attacks have a defined area of effect instead of just "one target" or "all targets."

Another big difference from Persona is the visibility and flexibility of the turn order in combat--it shuffles around depending on everyone's actions and speed, some turns will grant random bonuses if you can land on them, and there are attacks that can delay or advance the target's next turn. Controlling the turn order is pretty important.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 21, 2016

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Mithaldu posted:

Just stepping through various parts of it the game runs somewhere between 15 and 25 fps, depending on what's on screen. I don't need 60 fps for an rpg, but dipping that low is nauseating.
I just hope it's only for a few areas and not the entire game.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Txn posted:

I just hope it's only for a few areas and not the entire game.
We have not seen *any* footage of the game that even approached 30 fps, and the framerate dropping below 25 was particularly during all the bits where the main character wasn't just stood talking to some, and especially bad during anything involving combat.

If it wasn't Vita-only i'd say it's a PS4 game thrown straight onto the Vita where someone reduced the render resolution and called it a day.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SweetBro posted:

persona is a social sim with JRPG bits in it, Cold Steel is a JRPG with some light social sim elements in it

Gusano
Dec 15, 2013
Wanna buy Terraria and Don't Starve at the Flash Sale. Do you think those are good purchases or am I gonna regret it?

I just want to play games that give me a lot of good fun hours at the Vita.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Jive posted:

How about EDF EDF EDF?

That's more like it!

Speaking of EDF I had this made cuz I had some credit at one of those sites where you are supposed to use pictures of your family.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Light Gun Man posted:

That's more like it!

Speaking of EDF I had this made cuz I had some credit at one of those sites where you are supposed to use pictures of your family.

Well hey, if your family wants to be on treasured coffee mugs so badly, then maybe they should send some invaders back to planet Space. :colbert:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Well hey, if your family wants to be on treasured coffee mugs so badly, then maybe they should send some invaders back to planet Space. :colbert:

drat right.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Motto posted:

persona is a social sim with JRPG bits in it, Cold Steel is a JRPG with some light social sim elements in it

That's unfortunate I enjoyed the social sim aspects of Persona over the JRPG bits.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

The time management bits specifically, or just the dating bits?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Mithaldu posted:

The time management bits specifically, or just the dating bits?

Both. The time management stuff a good pacing mechanic (combined the with dungeon stuff) to keep me from burning out on the story/background which I would have otherwise just blasted through because it's good and I have no self control.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

persona 4 isn't really much like cold steel outside superficial stuff so there isn't much merit in drawing comparisons

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

yeah the school stuff is just a frame for the same kinda structure as Trails FC. the biggest similarities are the schoolhouse dungeon and the presence of a leveling bond thing.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Cold Steel II literally has a social link leveling system for all party members including Sara

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm having way too much fun with Bhikkhuni's Dressing Room

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

i bet

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It's like I never left the Vita thread. Anime girls with tramp stamps.

Seriously though I need a new Dungeon Crawler and it's between Dungeon Travellers 2 and Stanger in Sword City. I enjoyed Demon Gaze a lot so I know what I am getting into here with current day niche JRPGs.

Is one definitely better than the other? I really am leaning towards Stranger, but there's not a lot of critical talk about either.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ive heard better things about DT2 although there's way more fanservice there if you care at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

waah posted:

It's like I never left the Vita thread. Anime girls with tramp stamps.

Seriously though I need a new Dungeon Crawler and it's between Dungeon Travellers 2 and Stanger in Sword City. I enjoyed Demon Gaze a lot so I know what I am getting into here with current day niche JRPGs.

Is one definitely better than the other? I really am leaning towards Stranger, but there's not a lot of critical talk about either.

DT2 is a lot more accessible (and I'd argue better) but also a lot heavier on the fanservice and frequently the creepy type so YMMV.