Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've always wondered as to how Rev would react to seeing this thread, seeing people mocking his nonsensical opinions in an altogether inconsequential way, and I guess I was right in my assumption that he'd blow up in an unwarranted way.

But the hater is a natural category after all. I just hope for his sake that he figures out what he values and what is valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Count Chocula posted:

Somebody mentioned the Dark Enlightenment by name and capitalized on an Australian meme page; I didn't know we had those guys.

I'm going to predict they say really lovely things about Aboriginals

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Guys I think we might have to stop being very mad, gosh we're just so mad all the time, wow. How can we get any sort of genuine intellectual discourse going when we're so mad!

There, now that we've all calmed down and come to our senses it is clear that empirical logic leads to the conclusion that Future AI Jesus hates non-white people and blacks are basically apes psychologically, I can't believe our constant rage has clouded our judgement so badly until now. I shall go purchase my trump hat first thing tomorrow.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
As a wise man once told me; the only way to stop hating is to discover what's truly valuable.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I mean they have a point. We could all stand to spend less time getting angry at internet nobodies.

I can spend less time getting annoyed at Rev, and Rev can spend less time getting annoyed at people who mock pro-puppy flyers they found at the Hugos.

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/634974416250793984

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/634974540406390784

I mean if you're actually getting annoyed by Rev I think you're doing this thread wrong. Rev's tweets are the stuff I link to friends to laugh at with because his dumb tweets are much more concise than anything Moldbug has ever written.

Of course this just means I'm a mindkilled beta engaging in marxist group circle jerking for the cathedral or something but who cares it's some good laffs.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Why are all these motherfuckers so drat smug?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I mean if you're actually getting annoyed by Rev I think you're doing this thread wrong. Rev's tweets are the stuff I link to friends to laugh at with because his dumb tweets are much more concise than anything Moldbug has ever written.

Of course this just means I'm a mindkilled beta engaging in marxist group circle jerking for the cathedral or something but who cares it's some good laffs.

It's a very mild kind of annoyed where I'm more frustrated by a lack of self-awareness. He'll describe a mistake in abstract and then engage in it without skipping a beat.

It's like the bit in a comedy where they drag the joke out too long and see how long it can be annoying before it becomes funny again

The Vosgian Beast has a new favorite as of 05:57 on May 20, 2016

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I have never wanted to give a person a wedgie more than that guy.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Curvature of Earth posted:

Clarkhat has been careful never to reveal his identity, I suspect because he's a professional (probably a programmer, judging from his gushing analysis of Urbit), and he doesn't want the repercussions from being revealed as a loathsome shitbag.

I don't think he's a programmer. ISTR his gushes being something along the lines of "gee golly i'm not technical but moldbug is a political genius so this must be his brilliant masterwork!!!!11!!1". I've never seen any indication Clark has technical acumen.

In fact, merely being a gushing fanboy of Urbit is pretty solid evidence against. You know how over in the computer and funy computer subforums we have threads where we post WTF code written by awful programmers (who are sometimes ourselves)? It is not possible to write code in Yarvin/Moldbug's idiotic system without it being material for those threads.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

BobHoward posted:

I don't think he's a programmer. ISTR his gushes being something along the lines of "gee golly i'm not technical but moldbug is a political genius so this must be his brilliant masterwork!!!!11!!1". I've never seen any indication Clark has technical acumen.

In fact, merely being a gushing fanboy of Urbit is pretty solid evidence against. You know how over in the computer and funy computer subforums we have threads where we post WTF code written by awful programmers (who are sometimes ourselves)? It is not possible to write code in Yarvin/Moldbug's idiotic system without it being material for those threads.

Yeah. Praising Urbit is really solid evidence against Clarkhat being a technical person at all. It's like going "golly, I bet that person is a civil engineer because he told us to build our house on quicksand."

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I remember Clark mentioning somewhere that he has a history degree. But considering how much he loves Moldbug - the shittiest historian I've ever read who doesn't star in a show about ancient aliens - that doesn't mean much.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Hate Fibration posted:

Yeah. Praising Urbit is really solid evidence against Clarkhat being a technical person at all. It's like going "golly, I bet that person is a civil engineer because he told us to build our house on quicksand."

I might've misremembered that post of his—I forgot about him saying he wasn't an expert.

That being said, experts can absolutely be crackpots in their own specialized fields. There are fundie creationists who have PhDs in biology from respected institutions. And it's painfully easy in fields that are entirely about the practice of a particular kind of skilled labor (it's totally possible to be a successful developer and still have manifestly lovely ideas about how development works) or where methodology and ideology are much harder to separate (e.g. history, literature, or economics).

Do not underestimate the power of somebody being stuck up their own rear end.

Edit: I forgot about the obvious. Moldbug himself is a programmer. He made Urbit, which is worse than merely being a fan of it. Ideology is some powerful stuff.

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 06:53 on May 20, 2016

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I hope Rev gets a tick bite on his willy.

Not because I'm mad, but because shitbags having embarrassing stuff happen to them is funny.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The effects of steroid abuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhy3Lfc5RXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7lDaHG7LJ4

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I mean, yes, I am a status-obsessed prig with no thoughts of my own who can only enjoy life by getting angry at people who act in an unorthodox manner online. I have no actual moral sentiments, and I am a sadistic Puritan who gets a sexual thrill from moralistically denouncing people who are just intellectually curious and want to figure stuff out, and really get to the bottom of things.(That would be the subtitle of this thread, but it would be too long.)
In summary, all hail the Elders of Zion.

"cultural appropriation" was invented by s jw cvcks to attack anime

BobHoward posted:

you-have-just-experienced-things on Tumblr is actually messing with Urbit. He will therefore be one of the vanishingly small percentage of people both capable of and interested in the area. His tag on the subject is pretty good.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore. Fear me rev, mine rage for thee ist terrifying.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Gosh, who knew I was a kulturkampf-obsessed cultural Marxist (did I get all that right?).

Here I thought I was a bored middle-aged lady with an office job who occasionally takes breaks at work to read funny poo poo on the internet, including this thread.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

divabot posted:

"cultural appropriation" was invented by s jw cvcks to attack anime

you-have-just-experienced-things on Tumblr is actually messing with Urbit. He will therefore be one of the vanishingly small percentage of people both capable of and interested in the area. His tag on the subject is pretty good.

I like having to spell it "cvcks" because it makes me feel like we're in some kind of dystopic neo-roman empire

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

pookel posted:

Gosh, who knew I was a kulturkampf-obsessed cultural Marxist (did I get all that right?).

Here I thought I was a bored middle-aged lady with an office job who occasionally takes breaks at work to read funny poo poo on the internet, including this thread.

¿Porque no los dos?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
The real cultural marxists: bored middle-aged ladies on the internet.

Actually, if cultural marxism is code for "people who don't tolerate racist/sexist/homophobic slurs," this might be accurate, judging by my Facebook feed. You know the battle is lost when even the soccer moms are against you.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

pookel posted:

There's this weird assumption that this thread is a "community" that is failing to be productive members of society instead of just a small part of the SA forums that isn't really intended to produce anything, or represent a coherent worldview other than haha, that guy thinks immigrants are literally having sex with his wife by coming into this country.

It's like saying the movie Ghosbusters fails because it doesn't advance the field of theoretical physics.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

It's like saying the movie Ghosbusters fails because it doesn't advance the field of theoretical physics.

Especially when we know the real reason...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpgBkpb7xlU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Is this where I can say I hate the Slate Star Codex guy?

He's got this sheen of reasonableness to him because he can use logic now and then, and do a little research. So some people are sort of fooled by him or use him as a reasonable-seeming support.

But in fact he's not actually good at thinking, so his ideas are more dangerously wrong and bad, and not just laughable. Guys like Thunderf00t are sad little potholes, but Scott Alexander is a patch of black ice on a curve.

He makes trash opinions seem more respectable than they are.

And I know technically he might not be a Dark Enlightenment thinker but his antifeminism and gray tribe crap are enough for me to throw him in the same box.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
"The sane 30% of feminists..."

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Welcome, friend :bigtran:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sax Solo posted:

Is this where I can say I hate the Slate Star Codex guy?

He's got this sheen of reasonableness to him because he can use logic now and then, and do a little research. So some people are sort of fooled by him or use him as a reasonable-seeming support.

But in fact he's not actually good at thinking, so his ideas are more dangerously wrong and bad, and not just laughable. Guys like Thunderf00t are sad little potholes, but Scott Alexander is a patch of black ice on a curve.

He makes trash opinions seem more respectable than they are.

And I know technically he might not be a Dark Enlightenment thinker but his antifeminism and gray tribe crap are enough for me to throw him in the same box.

Hate hate hate away, you'll find no objections from me

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

divabot posted:

Nice. Only a little bit in and I clicked a link he gave to some nutbar who (much like Moldbug) hates CS academics for stupid reasons and accuses Moldbug of dalliance with the devil:

http://www.loper-os.org/?p=1390

quote:

The whole concept of ‘immutable data’ (and the more general idea of a formula-reduction approach to computation) is a fundamental dead-end. This is because physical machinery inescapably relies on mutable storage – and the reasonably-efficient use thereof.
The approach taken by Curtis is a result of his mis-spent youth among academics, who accept the costs of this ‘hair shirt’ approach to computation because it allows them to write ‘proofs’ (not to be confused with actual mathematical proofs. The very notion of proving any important property of a computational system as a whole, rather than of an abstract algorithm taken individually, is laughable – because real-world situations do not give you the kind of hard priors required to rise to the level of an honest mathematical proof.)
A. Perlis taught that ‘one cannot transition from the informal to the formal by formal means.’ And indeed you can’t.
The ‘proofs’ so beloved by FP academics are written in order to participate in a bizarre grant embezzlement scheme, rather than for any practical purpose. They are fruits of a poison tree, just the same as anything created by Lysenkoist biologists.
Curtis himself meditated on this fact back in ‘07, but has proceeded to give us exactly the kind of thing he condemned.

:allears:

E: oh god it's perfect Mircea Poopescu shows up in the comments

BobHoward has a new favorite as of 20:36 on May 20, 2016

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

TBQH arguing from this thread to Twitter and back about which Outgroup is the most Obliviously Heterogeneous is lovely and dumb.

Groups of people normalize over time, it's just what they do. We don't hate Rev DDS for joining the Other, we hate him because he espouses terrible-rear end regressive opinions.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

LordSaturn posted:

TBQH arguing from this thread to Twitter and back about which Outgroup is the most Obliviously Heterogeneous is lovely and dumb.

Groups of people normalize over time, it's just what they do. We don't hate Rev DDS for joining the Other, we hate him because he espouses terrible-rear end regressive opinions.

Shows what you know. I am a proud member of the #3FFF00 Tribe, and we passionately hate all our enemies in the #D3D3D3 Tribe

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

LordSaturn posted:

Speak for yourself. I dislike Rev because I'm intolerant of people's intolerance. :colbert:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Shows what you know. I am a proud member of the #3FFF00 Tribe, and we passionately hate all our enemies in the #D3D3D3 Tribe

Only because they won't give us a flarhgunnstow on command

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I, the Rationalist Superman, am above such petty, object level concerns...

... An aging dick joke forum is making laughs at me?! THE INTERNET WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS CENSORSHIP!!!

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Razorwired posted:

... An aging dick joke forum is making laughs at me?! THE INTERNET WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS CENSORSHIP!!!

*demands people on a website he never visits stop making fun of him and gets really really mad about it*

*complains that liberals are too sensitive and refuse to be criticized*

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Saw this on twitter, seemed like a good fit for the thread. Lo, and behold!

https://twitter.com/9_volt88/status/733759937160056832

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Razorwired posted:

Time to repost this

Post Rationalist Petey: A play in two acts

ACT ONE

Post-Rationalist Petey: Down below my sky garden of free speech and free thought, I see silly humans fighting over Trump vs Sanders vs Clinton Vs Cruz vs Rubio, but I, having long ago transcended such tribal shenanigans, refrain from judgement and return to meditating on pure meta-level structures.

ACT TWO

Post-Rationalist Petey: Down below my sky garden of free speech and free thought, I see silly humans fighting over Gamergate vs ant-Gamergate and THEY SAID WHAT ABOUT GAMERS!!!!!?????? WILL THE MARCH OF PROG MEMES NEVER STOP??????? YOU SHALL NOT WIN THIS DAY CTHULHU!!!!

Post-Rationalist Petey jumps off his sky garden without a parachute and dies

FIN

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

uber_stoat posted:

Saw this on twitter, seemed like a good fit for the thread. Lo, and behold!

https://twitter.com/9_volt88/status/733759937160056832

That's a framed photo of Milo, isn't it? I think we found Immortan's twitter account.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Heresiarch posted:

That's a framed photo of Milo, isn't it? I think we found Immortan's twitter account.

https://twitter.com/Frozensword14/status/728755936165306368

tabris
Feb 17, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Heresiarch posted:

Is it really surprising that people are going homosexual for a shakespearian & transcendental figure such as the God Emperor?